Old 31 Mar 2005, 11:26 (Ref:1266105)   #1
TheFLC
Rookie

England
Telford, UK
TheFLC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Forza Motorsport

Hi peeps

Just wondering if anyone else is looking forward to FM on Xbox. I have found out that there will be a true force feedback (yes, really) released with the game which I think I'm going to go for straight away. Anyone have any other information that maybe alot of others don't know? Like will there be team support on xbox live?

I've only really played racers on the PS2 and XBOX, but have a logitech driving force wheel so that I can have a go on some PC racers. I'm going to try the GTR and live for speed demos, and I also bought F1C this morning because Spudgun (RL m8) told me there are a lot of mods for it.

As for grand prix legends, I'm undecided. I've had a few goes of it (courtesy of spud) but couldn't really get into it. How much do people enjoy racing in the TTFRL (did i get that right?) league?

Also a big HI to everyone on my first post.
Old 31 Mar 2005, 16:48 (Ref:1266375)   #2
Baritone2400
Racer

United States
Washington,DC
Baritone2400 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
whats up and welcome THE FLC! yes im waiting for forza myself (relesed) 5-3-05.
I only have a X-BOX and im jelous aout GT4 so something needs to happen soon iom wearing my NASCAR and Progect Gotham out should be a great game thought!
Old 31 Mar 2005, 20:34 (Ref:1266533)   #3
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Welcome sir! You'll never want to leave... mwhahahahaha!

I don't know about team races, but from snippets I've been reading on ForzaCentral, that they expect gaming clans to jump on board and race with their own team colours.

Now thats what I'm impressed with, other people being able to see your actual car livery online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFLC
Hi peeps

As for grand prix legends, I'm undecided. I've had a few goes of it (courtesy of spud) but couldn't really get into it. How much do people enjoy racing in the TTFRL (did i get that right?) league?

Also a big HI to everyone on my first post.
You will be converted. Resistance is futile.
Old 1 Apr 2005, 15:29 (Ref:1267234)   #4
MDK
Rookie

United Kingdom
Wolves
MDK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baritone2400
whats up and welcome THE FLC! yes im waiting for forza myself (relesed) 5-3-05.
I only have a X-BOX and im jelous aout GT4 so something needs to happen soon iom wearing my NASCAR and Progect Gotham out should be a great game thought!

Let me tell you. You're not missing a fat lot when it comes to GT4. I never found that much of a difference between the 3rd installment except for the huge amount of cars - most of which you will never play. Don't get me wrong I do like the series in a casual way, but play the game for 1 whole month with no sleep just to open up all cars to play against yourself? Nah.
I rate Project Gotham 2 far higher than I do GT4.
If you buy XBM magazine this month you'll see what Forza holds in store for you. And I think you'll like it...
(PS - I rate Toca 2 over GT4 also - you can't beat online racing)
Old 1 Apr 2005, 17:53 (Ref:1267326)   #5
TheFLC
Rookie

England
Telford, UK
I think that if GT4 had online multiplayer, it still wouldn't touch PGR2. I am in the PS2 online beta trial, and all the games handle the online stuff differently. So with each game you get a completely different experience.

The thing I like with XBL is that it's pretty much the same for all the games, and for the most part that's good wholesome fun.

Saying all that, I am looking forward to playing GT4 with the FF wheel. I am really looking forward to taking the BMW M3 which I bought with my free 100,000 credits round a few tracks with it.

Also, have found a couple of BMW mods for F1C, so I'm hoping I'm going to be like a pig in the proverbial.
Old 1 Apr 2005, 18:36 (Ref:1267348)   #6
Es Nes
Veteran

Es Nes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well, yes and no. the demo was fun-ish, but, with out a proper ff wheel on the xbox ... well. itll make up for gt4's short comings.
Old 1 Apr 2005, 19:23 (Ref:1267376)   #7
Rich R
Veteran

United Kingdom
dudley uk
Rich R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if forza online is a patch on project gotham 2 i'll be happy. the car customization should offer a new dimension to online play as well
Old 1 Apr 2005, 19:32 (Ref:1267383)   #8
Es Nes
Veteran

i can agree with that after many satisfing hours of pgr2 on xbl :up:
Old 1 Apr 2005, 22:40 (Ref:1267518)   #9
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have played Forza demo of Official Xbox Mag, and cars behave much more realistically and you must drive them more carefully and smoothly, than on PGR 2.

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 1 Apr 2005, 22:53 (Ref:1267527)   #10
TheFLC
Rookie

England
Telford, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Es Nes
well, yes and no. the demo was fun-ish, but, with out a proper ff wheel on the xbox ... well. itll make up for gt4's short comings.
Actually, a true ff wheel will be released at the same time as Forza by Fanatec called the Speedster 3 Force Shock. You can find the info in a developer interview video at gamespot.

HTH
Old 1 Apr 2005, 22:54 (Ref:1267529)   #11
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I suppose it depends whether you want a driving sim or a racing sim.

We all know GT4 is not up to much as a racing sim, then again Forza is lacking a little in the driving dept. (according to early previews)

If you want a good race in GT4 it is best to use the arcade race mode. In here you can adjust the pace of the AI opposition which helps to create a bit of a challenge.
Old 4 Apr 2005, 02:00 (Ref:1269377)   #12
thejester
Veteran

New Zealand
Wellington
thejester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 429CJ
I have played Forza demo of Official Xbox Mag, and cars behave much more realistically and you must drive them more carefully and smoothly, than on PGR 2.
Definitely, care seems to be essential, which is good.

The big test, for non-Live players, will be the opponent AI. I haven't heard them going on about how good it's going to be, which worries me. V8 Supercars 2 (or TOCA2 whatever you call it up north) had great AI, and challenging.

Demo for R:Racing was interesting too. Following closely freaks opponents out and they make mistakes. (A bit like Total Immersion Racing, if anyone remembers that) Very silly and Japanese and the car drives like a pig.
Old 4 Apr 2005, 08:07 (Ref:1269513)   #13
TheFLC
Rookie

England
Telford, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejester
The big test, for non-Live players, will be the opponent AI.
Hi, they're stating some 'Drivatar' technology on the AI front. Basically, you take some cornering tests in various cars I believe, and you'll get scored on how well you do. You can then save these parameters in the form of an AI driver who should perform similarly.

It's been said that you can use the 'Drivatar' to race in your place (endurance test perhaps), to race amongst themselves (AI on AI) but specifically if you can race against them I have no idea.

HTH
Old 4 Apr 2005, 22:23 (Ref:1270304)   #14
thejester
Veteran

New Zealand
Wellington

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFLC
Hi, they're stating some 'Drivatar' technology on the AI front. Basically, you take some cornering tests in various cars I believe, and you'll get scored on how well you do. You can then save these parameters in the form of an AI driver who should perform similarly.

It's been said that you can use the 'Drivatar' to race in your place (endurance test perhaps), to race amongst themselves (AI on AI) but specifically if you can race against them I have no idea.

HTH
Thanks, that sounds cool. It'd be great to have some humanity in the AI drivers eg variety in corner approaches, under/oversteer preference, aggression levels, and speed variation based on something other than artificial engine restriction, which seems to be the way it's usually done.

Really I should just go Live...but I like my girlfriend.
Old 10 Apr 2005, 22:52 (Ref:1275133)   #15
Michael RCV
Rookie

England
England
Michael RCV should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The single player game should be amazing, will have to wait and see what online is like.

Good hopefully as the people who made PGR2 have helped out abit with Forza.
Old 11 Apr 2005, 03:46 (Ref:1275201)   #16
Es Nes
Veteran

erm ... sp sucked in PGR2. the ai is worse than the ai in the gt series ... if thats possible.
Old 11 Apr 2005, 07:04 (Ref:1275236)   #17
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I hoping to persuade my brother that he wants FM for his Xbox when it comes out.
I tried the demo for one of the PGR games on it, and I wasn't hugely impressed I have to say, but I'm difficult to please anyway with racing games.
Its gotta have decent single player though, there's no hope of getting xb live, my dad would be paying for it, and he's said no way...
Old 15 Apr 2005, 09:51 (Ref:1278726)   #18
MDK
Rookie

United Kingdom
Wolves
Quote:
erm ... sp sucked in PGR2. the ai is worse than the ai in the gt series ... if thats possible.
What level were you playing on - bronze?
The AI is much harder to beat on Platinum level. Gotto say - no comparison between GT and PGR - PGR pulls down GT's kegs and gives it 10 of the best.
Especially online - which I guess you guys have'nt played yet.
Old 15 Apr 2005, 20:09 (Ref:1279171)   #19
Es Nes
Veteran

platinum. its hard to catch to up to the leader when 3rd-5th crash into each other and block t1.
Old 15 Apr 2005, 20:50 (Ref:1279196)   #20
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Very true.
Old 16 Apr 2005, 00:32 (Ref:1279319)   #21
Michael RCV
Rookie

England
England
Michael RCV should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You've just got to be smart about where you place your car and take the corner. If you've got the outright pace you can do platinum..those who can't do it aren't good enough, simply as.
Old 18 Apr 2005, 13:13 (Ref:1281224)   #22
MDK
Rookie

United Kingdom
Wolves
Quote:
platinum. its hard to catch to up to the leader when 3rd-5th crash into each other and block t1.
So what is it that you don't like about the AI?
Old 18 Apr 2005, 18:34 (Ref:1281481)   #23
Es Nes
Veteran

well, the ai is "annouyingly ignorant". they can slightly tap me anywhere and ill spin, if i tap them the same way i still end up spinning. if im on a line, and they want it, they simply move me out of the way or use my car as a brake. it doesnt matter if it was under braking, mid-corner, whever, they took it. most of the times they wouldnt have made the corner if i wasnt there. plus theyve a bad habbit of pilling up in the first corner on anything but ultimates.

another way of putting it jump online and try to race with a bunch of people who dont know how to drive or race cleanly and youll understand.
Old 18 Apr 2005, 21:47 (Ref:1281631)   #24
thejester
Veteran

New Zealand
Wellington
Agree.
The collision avoidance is fairly low down on the priority scale for the AI. And I'm fairly sure it's intentional. To make racing more "exciting".

BTW, this is the Forza thread guys
Old 19 Apr 2005, 08:43 (Ref:1281885)   #25
TheFLC
Rookie

England
Telford, UK
Oh btw guys, I was in Reading (UK) last weekend. Went into a couple of GAME shops, and they had the Forza boxes stickered with a release date of 22-04 (this Friday) . They still couldn't tell me if they'll be selling the fanatec wheel tho They said that they hoped to find out the middle of this week.