Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Aug 2009, 17:18 (Ref:2523122)   #1
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
F1 2009 Round 11 - LIII Grand Prix of Europe

Following a lengthy break the F1 circus rolls up to Valencia, Spain for the Grand Prix of Europe.

F1 has had a number of issues to keep the fans engaged in the break between races.

Renault had a problem in Hungary which caused an entire wheel to fly of the car of Fernando Alonso - the incident appearing comical on television but less so if there were nearby spectators or marshals. The team were subsequently banned for the race, but have won on appeal and will have to pay a more appropriate £30,000 fine. This means that the home crowd will see local hero Fernando Alonso, and the replacement of the fired Nelson Piquet Jnr who has yet to be announced.

Last time out in Budapest, Felipe Massa had a horror incident with a suspension component, leaving him with a fractured skull. Former world champion Michael Schumacher was touted as the replacement until neck injuries hampered his return.

In to the fray enters loyal Ferrari test driver, Luca Badoer. In his entire F1 career, he has only driven for Italian teams and this is his first race since 1999, when he drove a Minardi. Ten years ago, at the same Grand Prix, Luca Badoer was in fourth place with thirteen laps of the Nurburgring until his Minardi's gearbox failed, leaving him in tears at the side of the track. Will the man from Montebelluna score his first points of his career at the European Grand Prix?

Graphics by Andy Blackmore Design

Formula 1 World Drivers Championship Standings

Pos.FlagDriver ConstructorPoints
1.Jenson ButtonBrawn-Mercedes70
2.Mark WebberRBR-Renault51.5
3.Sebastian VettelRBR-Renault47
4.Rubens BarrichelloBrawn-Mercedes44
5.Nico RosbergWilliams-Toyota25.5
6.Jarno TrulliToyota22.5
7.Felipe MassaFerrari22
8.Lewis HamiltonMcLaren-Mercedes19
9.Kimi RäikkönenFerrari18
10.Timo GlockToyota16
11.Fernando AlonsoRenault13
12.Heikki KovalainenMcLaren-Mercedes5
13.Nick HeidfeldBMW Sauber6
14.Sebastien BuemiSTR-Ferrari3
15.Robert KubicaBMW Sauber2
16.Sebastian BourdaisSTR-Ferrari2
17.Giancarlo FisichellaForce India-Mercedes0 (9th, 10th)
18.Kazuki NakajimaWilliams-Toyota0 (9th, 11th)
19.Adrian SutilForce India-Mercedes0 (9th, 14th)
20.Nelson Piquet JrRenault0 (10th)
21.Jaime AlguersuariSTR-Ferrari0 (15th)

Formula 1 World Constructors Championship Standings

Pos.FlagConstructorCarPoints
1.BrawnGP114
2.Red Bull-Renault98.5
3.Ferrari40
4.Toyota38.5
5.McLaren-Mercedes28
6.Williams-Toyota25.5
7.Renault13
8.BMW Sauber8
9.Toro Rosso-Ferrari5
10.Force India-Mercedes0 (9th, 9th)

Valencia Street Circuit

LengthDirectionTurnsLaps (Distance)Lap Record (Driver, Year)
5.419kmClockwise25308.883km1:38.708 (Felipe Massa, 2008)

Roll of honour

YearDriverCarLocation
1923Carlo SalamanoFiatMonza
1924Guiseppe CampariAlfa RomeoLyon
1925Antonio AscariAlfa RomeoSpa-Francorchamps
1926Jules GouxBugattiLasarte
1927Robert BenoistDelageMonza
1928Louis ChironBugattiMonza
1930Louis ChironBugattiMonza
1947Jean-Pierre WilmilleAlfa RomeoSpa-Francorchamps
1948Carlo Felice TrossiAlfa RomeoBremgarten
1949Alberto AscariFerrariMonza
1950Giuseppe FarinaAlfa RomeoSilverstone
1951Luigi Fagioli/Juan Manuel FangioAlfa RomeoReims-Gueux
1952Alberto AscariFerrariSpa-Francorchamps
1954Juan Manuel FangioMercedes-BenzNuerburgring
1955Maurice TrintignantFerrariMonte Carlo
1956Stirling MossMaseratiMonza
1957Tony Brooks/Stirling MossVanwallAintree
1958Tony BrooksVanwallSpa-Francorchamps
1959Tony BrooksFerrariReims-Gueux
1960Phil HillFerrariMonza
1961Stirling MossLotus-ClimaxNuerburgring
1962Graham HillBRMZandvoort
1963Graham HillBRMMonte Carlo
1964Jim ClarkLotus-ClimaxBrands Hatch
1965Jim ClarkLotus-ClimaxSpa-Francorchamps
1966Jack BrabhamBrabham-RepcoReims-Gueux
1967John SurteesHondaMonza
1968Jackie StewartMatra-FordNuerburgring
1972Emerson FittipaldiLotus-FordBrands Hatch
1973Jackie StewartTyrrell-FordZolder
1974Clay RegazzoniFerrariNurburgring
1975Vittorio BrambillaMarch-FordOesterreichring
1976James HuntMcLaren-FordZandvoort
1977James HuntMcLaren-FordSilverstone
1983*Nelson PiquetBrabham-BMWBrands Hatch
1984*Alain ProstMcLaren-TAGNuerburgring
1985*Nigel MansellWilliams-HondaBrands Hatch
1993*Ayrton SennaMcLaren-FordDonington Park
1994*Michael SchumacherBenetton-FordJerez
1995*Michael SchumacherBenetton-RenaultNuerburgring
1996*Jacques VilleneuveWilliams-RenaultNuerburgring
1997*Mika HakkinenMcLaren-MercedesJerez
1999*Johnny HerbertStewart-FordNuerburgring
2000*Michael SchumacherFerrariNuerburgring
2001*Michael SchumacherFerrariNuerburgring
2002*Rubens BarrichelloFerrariNuerburgring
2003*Ralf SchumacherWilliams-BMWNuerburgring
2004*Michael SchumacherFerrariNuerburgring
2005*Fernando AlonsoRenaultNuerburgring
2006*Michael SchumacherFerrariNuerburgring
2007*Fernando AlonsoMcLaren-MercedesNuerburgring
2008*Felipe MassaFerrariValencia

* Before '83, the European GP was an honourary designation.

Links
Local Clock and Weather
Predictions Competition
Fantasy F1
IRC Chat

Last edited by Bononi; 21 Aug 2009 at 02:10.
Old 17 Aug 2009, 17:37 (Ref:2523129)   #2
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Excellent intro.

Weather looks to be hot and sunny with a touch of cloud here and there.Which is a real shame really because this place needs rain.

I expect McLaren and Ferrari to go well here,and also the Renault of Alonso.Brawn and Redbull will not have it their own way from here to the end of the season.
Old 17 Aug 2009, 20:21 (Ref:2523216)   #3
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Nice work, duke.

I'd like to say I'm looking forward to this race after the long break, but I just can't see it being any more interesting than last year's race (although at least it won't have James Allen telling us about "field spread" every 5 minutes). And we don't even have the comedy that is Piquet vs Briatore to keep us entertained!
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 17 Aug 2009, 23:05 (Ref:2523356)   #4
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great stats duke

Looking forward to this one - missed last years race... Go the Red Bull's!
Old 18 Aug 2009, 17:00 (Ref:2523813)   #5
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
It can't possibly be as dull as the 2008 race.
Old 18 Aug 2009, 19:40 (Ref:2523904)   #6
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Classic GP's are up on the usual BBC areas.
Old 19 Aug 2009, 02:22 (Ref:2524092)   #7
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I expect McLaren to lead Raikkonen, followed by Red Bull and Alonso fighting amongst themselves, with Rosberg nipping at their heels...
Old 19 Aug 2009, 07:11 (Ref:2524167)   #8
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Lotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Again excellent stuff Duke.

Last year was a dismal boring affair, but after this long layoff I am looking forward to it. I'm not sure it will be any better than 2008, but it will be interesting to see if the circuit has 'matured' somewhat.

I think Maclaren will continue where they left off with another solid performance if not a win.

P
Old 19 Aug 2009, 12:03 (Ref:2524339)   #9
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So I think this one deserves the label "official".
Old 20 Aug 2009, 13:33 (Ref:2525037)   #10
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
F1 Spotter Guide updated again with Grosjean and Badoer ready for Valencia this weekend.

Download at http://www.spotterguides.com/content/view/21/44/

(the new F1 smilies have been sent to Grant, so will be online soon)
Old 20 Aug 2009, 18:28 (Ref:2525158)   #11
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh noes!

I made a little mistake in that intro, unless Mr Nakajima has recently got an Italian passport recently. Would it be possible for someone to replace the Italian flag with a Japanese one?

It currently says "Flag_of_Italy.svg/22px-Flag_of_Japan.svg.png", it should be "Flag_of_Japan/22px...".

Sorry mods.
Old 20 Aug 2009, 20:26 (Ref:2525207)   #12
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking forward to this. Jenson seems really confident he can be competitive again. He says the know where they went wrong, and they're bringing parts to Valenica to resolve it. I do hope he's back at the front, even if he isn't winning, I'd like to see him and Rubens give the Red Bulls and McLarens now a proper race.
Old 20 Aug 2009, 22:34 (Ref:2525253)   #13
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
I made a little mistake in that intro, unless Mr Nakajima has recently got an Italian passport recently.
Nakajima to Ferrari !.....but more probably STR.
Old 21 Aug 2009, 02:11 (Ref:2525293)   #14
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You guys must be crazy...
Old 21 Aug 2009, 09:05 (Ref:2525424)   #15
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Really looking forward to this weekend. Didnt enjoy last years race but there are 5-6 teams all backing themselves for strong podiums....should be interesting.
Old 21 Aug 2009, 09:18 (Ref:2525432)   #16
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's looking like Brawn GP have found where they went wrong in the past few races.......
Old 21 Aug 2009, 11:28 (Ref:2525499)   #17
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
It's looking like Brawn GP have found where they went wrong in the past few races.......
Too early to say really,but they are definitely not as slow as the Toyotoirses.
Old 21 Aug 2009, 12:34 (Ref:2525527)   #18
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Badoer's getting a panning from the Beeb commentators so far today.

It's only free practice for christ's sake!! Give the guy chance, the team wouldn't have picked him if he wasn't capable, and they won't be expecting miracles from him will they!
Old 21 Aug 2009, 12:57 (Ref:2525539)   #19
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

It was expected, it's like swimming in a pool full of sharks...
Old 21 Aug 2009, 14:02 (Ref:2525565)   #20
DanShenise
Racer

United States
Atlanta, via St. Pete Beach
DanShenise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Bob Varsha (SpeedTV) mentioned this morning that of the 75K tickets available, only 45K had been sold. I know the economy sucks right now and money is tight, but the weather looks awesome. Why can't they get people to this race? Yes last year was a touch boring, but still you would think with August being the near universal European holiday month that they would be able to get more people in the gate. Hell, the beach is right next to the circuit. If I were in Europe, I'd go to Valencia and have a great time at the beach and race and then watch Spa on TV next week (you get to see the whole race, and not get soaked).
Old 21 Aug 2009, 14:53 (Ref:2525587)   #21
Taprobane
Racer

England
Berkshire
Taprobane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You'd be nuts to go to Valencia over Spa, no matter what the weather is!
Old 21 Aug 2009, 17:28 (Ref:2525666)   #22
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Brawn again!

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77839
Old 21 Aug 2009, 17:33 (Ref:2525670)   #23
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taprobane View Post
You'd be nuts to go to Valencia over Spa, no matter what the weather is!
I'd say the weather would be another reason to go to spa.

No need to open this link, you know the video, but I'll post it anyway!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75RQZVusFSc
Old 21 Aug 2009, 19:33 (Ref:2525712)   #24
DanShenise
Racer

United States
Atlanta, via St. Pete Beach
DanShenise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To me its like American Football, you get a much better appreciation of the total race/game by being able to hear and see what is going on all over the course. Remember when L. Burti stuck his Prost in the wall a few years back at Les Combs? If you were sitting down at Stavelot, all you would have is maybe a big screen and the track announcer, mumbling what happened. I would love to go to Spa once to experience it, but generally I think I would rather go to the lesser GPs, and save the best for TV where you get to know what is actually going on. Maybe its just me being info obsessed.

I just hate sitting out in the rain. Remember that Top Gear from a few years ago where they went to the Isle of Man to test various luxury coupes? The final test involved the Stig driving the E-W road in a horrid rain while May and the other two stood outside freezing and shivering. That is what I imagine would happen at Spa on the one GP I would make it too.

Last edited by DanShenise; 21 Aug 2009 at 19:37. Reason: Added thought.
Old 22 Aug 2009, 06:57 (Ref:2525907)   #25
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, I love it when it rains at a race and I'm not at a track...and hate it when I'm at the track (though it can yield some good photos).

I don't think you'd go to Spa to necessarily see the whole race from any vantage point - there are few GPs where you can do that...usually you're lucky to see 2-3 corners. I would go to witness the cars going through some of those legendary bends - it's something else to see an F1 car (or any car for that matter) go flat out through a corner on the edge in person... you get no feeling for that on TV - for all you know the guy's having tea inside the car.

All that said, you won't find me at too many GPs because I wouldn't spend that much on it! I'll go on Friday/Saturday and watch the race on TV.... you get the experience and save a ton of money.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes