Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 27 Jul 2014, 14:26 (Ref:3438830)   #976
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
Do we have a time stamp on when #77 developed this issue? At the very least Luhr, Werner and Paltala have had to drive without the electronics.
No idea but that is hours ago...

I think it happened during Paltalla's stint. Afterwards it was Luhr, Paltalla again and now Werner.
So, 4 -5 hours ago?
Old 27 Jul 2014, 14:28 (Ref:3438834)   #977
TheDude
Racer

Portugal
Ourem
TheDude should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A Good drive by the #77

Who lead the championship now?
Old 27 Jul 2014, 14:47 (Ref:3438851)   #978
Mitchi_S
Racer

Germany
LG
Mitchi_S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Laurens Vanthoor.
Old 27 Jul 2014, 14:47 (Ref:3438852)   #979
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Happy to see Palttala's* team taking the second place!

* two T's and one L
Old 27 Jul 2014, 14:53 (Ref:3438860)   #980
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudLightJaguar View Post
Happy to see Palttala's* team taking the second place!

* two T's and one L
Oops. It's spelled wrong on the live timing then, I copied it from there...

I would be happier if they'd won.
I really think Palttala is a bit underrated. He's absolutely on par with the rest of the team.
Old 27 Jul 2014, 16:55 (Ref:3438884)   #981
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
JoestForEver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
and people still complain about AMR in wec...
Keep on trolling then. People complain about Aston BoP advantage because they just eat sleep race repeat with that for almost ten years on a grandfather chassis while Ferrari has brought 360, 430 and 458 GT2 to race and 991 from Porsche. They get criticism because they are lazy.
In the case of Audi, if you do check the FIA BoP sheet, you'll see the difference which explains why Audi won everything 2012 and lost them to SLS everywhere in 2013. Non or few of the Audi R8s was in superpole last year.

Earlier this year even, if you check Monza, they were being passed by everyone on every straight. Call all that sandbagging.

Of course they have overcooked the BoP a little because only restrictor break should do. All those weight changes is unnecessary.

On the other hand, FIA GT1 era still created close racing with success ballast difference of 50kg. So 25kg is far from significant. Audi pole is only four hundredth faster even in the hands of Winkelhock, one of the best GT drivers post GT1 and their race pace of #3 and #2 is consistently slower, so I'd give the BoP work 8/10
Old 27 Jul 2014, 17:02 (Ref:3438890)   #982
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
I don't want to get sucked into that after we just watched a great race.

But the Vantage road version hasn't changed in that time. Why would the racecar?

Spa was great though, nearly missed my plane because I refused to leave before the Audi was back in the lead. Great race, great cars, great track, many great drivers, great event.

Hoping for good news with regards to Marcus Mahy in the meantime.
Old 27 Jul 2014, 17:27 (Ref:3438904)   #983
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm just glad the #3 Audi didn't win.

I wish Marc VDS won, but that team always seems to be snake-bitten on the big stage.
Old 27 Jul 2014, 17:32 (Ref:3438908)   #984
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post

I wish Marc VDS won, but that team always seems to be snake-bitten on the big stage.
Yeah, they really never have the luck required to get the big one...
Neither here nor at the Nurburgring (or the BES championship)
Old 27 Jul 2014, 17:56 (Ref:3438926)   #985
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
JoestForEver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post

BMW just need to recruit more factory GT drivers to support their customers. Look at Aston, Turner and Mucke everywhere. Look at Audi, basically the whole line up of #1#2#3 is factory drivers except Sandstrom, Vanthoor, and Ortelli(Possibly). For BMW they only have Maxime Martin, Dirk and Jorg. Farfus is just someone from another series called DTM but not the ace needed.
Old 27 Jul 2014, 17:57 (Ref:3438928)   #986
divxx
Racer

United States
Other side of the pond
divxx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hats off to MVDS for making a race of it with great driving and strategy, I think they spent something like 7min less in the pits, but it wasn't enough.

Looks like Audi applied their recent Le Mans strategy to this year's Spa: don't worry about fuel and the hell with extending tire life, just hammer it. I wasn't rooting for them, but it was the best car/team/driver combination.

And sorry if this is a dumb question, but does the recent BoP adjustments go into effect for all GT3 championships as well?
Old 27 Jul 2014, 18:03 (Ref:3438936)   #987
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoestForEver View Post
BMW just need to recruit more factory GT drivers to support their customers. Look at Aston, Turner and Mucke everywhere. Look at Audi, basically the whole line up of #1#2#3 is factory drivers except Sandstrom, Vanthoor, and Ortelli(Possibly). For BMW they only have Maxime Martin, Dirk and Jorg. Farfus is just someone from another series called DTM but not the ace needed.
I don't know... They non-factory drivers certainly weren't slower than the factory drivers.
And it was a factory driver who f*****d up in the #66 car.

Jörg is certainly fast, but he makes too many mistakes IMO.
Old 27 Jul 2014, 18:18 (Ref:3438942)   #988
TheDude
Racer

Portugal
Ourem
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoestForEver View Post
Keep on trolling then. People complain about Aston BoP advantage because they just eat sleep race repeat with that for almost ten years on a grandfather chassis while Ferrari has brought 360, 430 and 458 GT2 to race and 991 from Porsche. They get criticism because they are lazy.
In the case of Audi, if you do check the FIA BoP sheet, you'll see the difference which explains why Audi won everything 2012 and lost them to SLS everywhere in 2013. Non or few of the Audi R8s was in superpole last year.

Earlier this year even, if you check Monza, they were being passed by everyone on every straight. Call all that sandbagging.

Of course they have overcooked the BoP a little because only restrictor break should do. All those weight changes is unnecessary.

On the other hand, FIA GT1 era still created close racing with success ballast difference of 50kg. So 25kg is far from significant. Audi pole is only four hundredth faster even in the hands of Winkelhock, one of the best GT drivers post GT1 and their race pace of #3 and #2 is consistently slower, so I'd give the BoP work 8/10
I'm not trolling or anything like, and I agree, we need back success ballast.

EDIT: Audi made the SECOND fastest lap at Monza, I wouldnt call that slow, and yet they received a bop break.
The R8 is just and average car that needs such helps to succeed

25 KG over 24H can help a lot

Even the pit window rule was made for audi

Last edited by TheDude; 27 Jul 2014 at 18:35.
Old 27 Jul 2014, 18:48 (Ref:3438952)   #989
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
Quote:

EDIT: Audi made the SECOND fastest lap at Monza, I wouldnt call that slow, and yet they received a bop break.

I agree with you on 1 thing: with BoP there's always someone complaining

A fastest lap (or second fast for that matter) doesn't mean anything without the context.
* did they just take on new tires while everyone was on old tires?
* did they get a massive tow down the straights?
* was it a normal racing lap
* did it rain, and was it just a matter of being on the right tire at the right time?

I don't know the circumstance, I'm just saying that a fastest lap means nothing.
Pérez has one in a F1 race, yet it would be exaggerated to call him the fastest man in that race.
Old 27 Jul 2014, 18:59 (Ref:3438956)   #990
TheDude
Racer

Portugal
Ourem
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
I agree with you on 1 thing: with BoP there's always someone complaining

A fastest lap (or second fast for that matter) doesn't mean anything without the context.
* did they just take on new tires while everyone was on old tires?
* did they get a massive tow down the straights?
* was it a normal racing lap
* did it rain, and was it just a matter of being on the right tire at the right time?

I don't know the circumstance, I'm just saying that a fastest lap means nothing.
Pérez has one in a F1 race, yet it would be exaggerated to call him the fastest man in that race.
I think we're going off topic here, but was there bop during the FIA GT years ?

I guess every class had base power/weight ratio
Old 27 Jul 2014, 19:05 (Ref:3438960)   #991
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mmh, I remembered last year's race being the first single-category formula, but I was wrong - this was...

2014 - GT3
2013 - GT3 & GT3 Cup
2012 - GT3 & GT3 Cup
2011 - GT3 & GT3 Cup & GT4
2010 - GT2 & GT3 & GT3 Cup & GT4
2009 - GT1 & GT2 & GT3 & GT3 Cup/NAT
etc

Quote:
I think we're going off topic here, but was there bop during the FIA GT years ?

I guess every class had base power/weight ratio
There was BoP in GT1 and GT2 (which with SRO was definitely more intense than in ACO trim) but not in GT3 levels. Success ballast was used as more active force

Last edited by Deleted; 27 Jul 2014 at 19:13.
Old 27 Jul 2014, 19:20 (Ref:3438965)   #992
Creep89
Veteran

Germany
Herne
Creep89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Why did they made the second best lap? Because there is a track specific BoP this year. Ratel stated that, either on a site like EI, DSC or in the German magazine SportAuto.

Edit: found it: http://tentenths.com/forum/showpost....&postcount=242

Last edited by Creep89; 27 Jul 2014 at 19:26.
Old 27 Jul 2014, 20:11 (Ref:3438988)   #993
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
ger80 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For the pro category with "factory interests" you really should have technical regulations like in the good old GT1/GT2 days. A GT3 type BOP class is great for Pro/Am and Am ...
Old 27 Jul 2014, 20:19 (Ref:3438991)   #994
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ger80 View Post
For the pro category with "factory interests" you really should have technical regulations like in the good old GT1/GT2 days. A GT3 type BOP class is great for Pro/Am and Am ...
Yes but then again they have the same problem now with GTE-PRO in the world's biggest motor race...

Anyway what's happened with SRO's eternal hate towards factory teams? I mean surely anyone with their bare eyes can see that the Audis etc here are full blown works efforts, just with camourflage titles. In the old days works entries weren't able to score points, like GT1 Aston Martins and Nissans etc
Old 27 Jul 2014, 21:39 (Ref:3439024)   #995
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ger80 View Post
GT3 was originally intended that way, as a gentleman driver class. Thing was, factories started to see the market open up because the cars were being accepted to major enduros, so they target those races and also target other series in order to advertise the car to potential (GT racing) customers. 'Victim' of its own success.

Then, to secure customers and service, the factories started offering more support. The German teams in particular had widespread efforts to assign engineers to assist all customer teams and supply them with data and information. A good after-sales addition to the customer's profit.

Now we're moving more and more in direction of the factory teams running drivers directly as customers. Look at the Astons in British GT and at Spa. All bar one were AMR run, with a different name on the door depending on who the customer is. Audi have their 'Race Experience' programme at the N24 and VLN. You think Dusseldorp, Jaafar, Primat etc are picked by Mercedes? They're indirect customers of the team. So HTP is being funded by sponsorship brought by these drivers and is being partially run by AMG personnel.

Personally I like it the way it is now, there's a healthy around mix where we have different classes. Expecting privateer teams to run Pro lineups, whilst there's plenty of historical precedent, isn't as realistic any more, so if a Pro element is wanted, it's more than often going to need some factory support.
Old 27 Jul 2014, 21:48 (Ref:3439028)   #996
Deleted
Veteran

GT4 is basically what GT3 was intended to be (IMO what it should've been). For now...

Btw it's sort of mind boggling that after 3 years of the death GT1 and GT2 being renamed to GTE, GT3 is still called GT3. I'm sure there's some orphan trackside somewhere right now wondering what the **** that 3 means there.

Perhaps Ratel or some FIA committee just wants to keep those old numbers unused and intact 'just in case'
Old 27 Jul 2014, 22:03 (Ref:3439036)   #997
urdragon
Veteran

Spain
Barcelona
urdragon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridurdragon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
we need back success ballast.
Welcome back to the world of noone understanding why a car that performs well on fast corners, does it wrong due to wining the last race, welcome to the world of absurd. Or when the Maserati MC12 won cyclically in the same way as their ballast was present or not. Absurd.
Old 27 Jul 2014, 22:16 (Ref:3439039)   #998
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
GT4 is basically what GT3 was intended to be (IMO what it should've been). For now...

Btw it's sort of mind boggling that after 3 years of the death GT1 and GT2 being renamed to GTE, GT3 is still called GT3. I'm sure there's some orphan trackside somewhere right now wondering what the **** that 3 means there.

Perhaps Ratel or some FIA committee just wants to keep those old numbers unused and intact 'just in case'
That's nothing particularly new though, we've always had 'Group X' and so on through the years.

I like both GT3 and GT4 as the cars currently are, although maybe the GT4 models could be a little different (Cayman instead of 911, for example). CTSCC in the US has a good set of cars that fit that mould too, although not sure how they compare.

Was really impressed by the GT4 field running in support at Spa. Being mixed in with the Belgian championship was a bit strange, but they were having some great fights through that pack.

The mixing of GT3 and GT4 is the one thing I'd like to see (back) in Blancpain. Otherwise (in fact, despite that), it's all good.
Old 28 Jul 2014, 00:00 (Ref:3439067)   #999
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
That's nothing particularly new though, we've always had 'Group X' and so on through the years.

I like both GT3 and GT4 as the cars currently are, although maybe the GT4 models could be a little different (Cayman instead of 911, for example). CTSCC in the US has a good set of cars that fit that mould too, although not sure how they compare.

Was really impressed by the GT4 field running in support at Spa. Being mixed in with the Belgian championship was a bit strange, but they were having some great fights through that pack.

The mixing of GT3 and GT4 is the one thing I'd like to see (back) in Blancpain. Otherwise (in fact, despite that), it's all good.
Conti Challenge GS cars are GT4 equivalent. The Astons are GT4 cars without the rear wing.
Old 28 Jul 2014, 02:10 (Ref:3439097)   #1000
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
I think GT3 cars are too fast to be mixed with GT4. They're essentially the fastest GT cars available. GT4 are street cars..... the gap is huge.

-mike