Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 20 Nov 2003, 15:40 (Ref:789645)   #51
SuperDavros
Rookie

SuperDavros should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Biased reply, but hey!

The PowerMods Alfa Championship provides close racing, good grids and is full of friendly people. Winner!

Enjoyed watching:
Fiat Uno's
Legends
A championship with Jaguar XJ-S's (JDC?) - looked crazy!
Old 20 Nov 2003, 18:12 (Ref:789813)   #52
martinparsons
Racer

martinparsons should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most entertaining spectacle has to be :-

The best excuse for a scrutineer series, which takes place at most race circuits around the world every weekend.

This is closely followed by the Best excuse for a clerk of the course series, which also happens every weekend, but entry is only by invite to the control tower.

MP
Old 20 Nov 2003, 19:04 (Ref:789851)   #53
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
greenamex2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Martinparsons - Get's my vote! I usually blaim EVERYTHING on my dad.

Perhaps if a marshall/scrutineer/clerk out there has any good ones they have heard they could start a new thread!
Old 25 Nov 2003, 15:27 (Ref:794105)   #54
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
750 MC's Stock hatch championship, always great grids and exciting racing.
I also really enjoyed Formula Honda this year, watching those little cars flying around Corum after oil had been laid down earlier and just holding on was a terrific sight.
Old 25 Nov 2003, 21:47 (Ref:794441)   #55
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by SuperDavros
Enjoyed watching:
A championship with Jaguar XJ-S's (JDC?) - looked crazy!
It is run by the JEC (Jaguar Enthusiasts Club). And it was fun to be in. Full grids everywhere prompting the comment by one involved "I didn't think Jaguar made this many!".

There are some pictures on my site www.ashmoreracing.co.uk

SuperDavros, where did you see us?
Old 26 Nov 2003, 00:40 (Ref:794555)   #56
Walshy
Veteran

England
Lancashire
Walshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Give me Formula Fords anyday. Anything with Brake lights isn't racing. Besides. Aren't most tin tops just modified road cars. Max Power Dads.........
Old 26 Nov 2003, 16:11 (Ref:795172)   #57
SuperDavros
Rookie

SuperDavros should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"SuperDavros, where did you see us?"

Hi Adam,
At Donington, around July (-ish) - it was a hot day and the physics of Redgate, a heavt Jaguar and limited grip proved to be quite a test!

Looked like great fun!

Walshy - "Anything with Brake lights isn't racing"
The views of a purist indeed.
Old 26 Nov 2003, 16:37 (Ref:795213)   #58
dhart
Racer

dhart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TVR`S Or anything else with Chris Stockton in - always worth watching , i would even pay to get in!
Old 26 Nov 2003, 16:44 (Ref:795223)   #59
jminsh
Veteran

England
Not far from Oulton Park
jminsh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[/QUOTE] TVR`S Or anything else with Chris Stockton in - always worth watching , i would even pay to get in!

Agreed he will usualy get it home as long as it still has at least 3 wheels left on .Really quick guy but could do with learning the To finish first,first you need to finish Quote.

Last edited by jminsh; 26 Nov 2003 at 16:47.
Old 26 Nov 2003, 16:55 (Ref:795230)   #60
dhart
Racer

dhart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yea but wot fun to watch,he manages to p!SS off a whole new set of people in every series he does - all with a huge grin and his stupid laugh!
Someone at the front in TVR told him a certain corner at Rockinham couldnt be taken flat so guess what! - now its flat!
Old 26 Nov 2003, 16:57 (Ref:795233)   #61
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is that the corner, or all the marker boards?

Last edited by diz; 26 Nov 2003 at 16:57.
Old 26 Nov 2003, 16:59 (Ref:795237)   #62
spearce
Racer

spearce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
... bollards !!!
Old 26 Nov 2003, 17:07 (Ref:795249)   #63
jminsh
Veteran

England
Not far from Oulton Park
jminsh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Probably the side of the Tuscan, bit like his last outing in the Legend at Brands. Sky-track-sky-trees-sky-grass OUCH !!

Last edited by jminsh; 26 Nov 2003 at 17:08.
Old 26 Nov 2003, 19:26 (Ref:795370)   #64
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
apologises for being off topic
Quote:
Originally posted by Walshy
Give me Formula Fords anyday. Anything with Brake lights isn't racing. Besides. Aren't most tin tops just modified road cars. Max Power Dads.........
To a certain extent I agree with you, but your blinkered attitude robs you of so much. I think single seaters are fun and I suppose show racing in its purist sense (most of the time), but there is something about someone hustling a big Mk7 Jag around a course too. A truly awe inspiring site!

Additionally all the best racing cars have roofs.

Attached Thumbnails
silv01g917.jpg  
Old 26 Nov 2003, 19:58 (Ref:795397)   #65
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
Adam,
Nice LM car. However I think Walshy was referring to the majority of club level circuit race cars with doors and roofs though. These are mainly shopping cars, or posing cars that have been breathed on with racing in mind. For similar, or less outlay, you could be in a proper racing car. When you trailer your "roofed race car" to a meeting, other road users see it and say
"oh look a rally car"
"oh look a hot rod"
"oh look a banger racer"
"oh look a stock car"
"oh look what is it?"
etc.
Whereas, with a single seater on your trailer, they say
"wow!! look, a racing car"

Which reminds me. Has anybody managed to sort out a photo of the Prowess FF1600 - the one with the perspex roof?

Last edited by diz; 26 Nov 2003 at 20:03.
Old 26 Nov 2003, 20:13 (Ref:795411)   #66
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Oh yes and I partially agree, but you should see a Mk7 at Lydden!

We have a similar thing ot what you mention in our series, in the standard class they are very standard (wood and everything!) and some of our racers complain because it doesn't look like they race them. They are not looking to Max Power them, just make them quicker (Max Powering very rarely makes things quicker!).

Also there is the other side where some drive their cars to the circuits and then race them (after removing the spare wheel!). Now there is something pure in that too. (in a small way replicating the days when they used to drive C-Types to Le Mans).

Additionally I'm not really bothered what people think of the car while it is on it's trailer (have you seen the colour? )

As I said I don't really care one way or the other. I like them both. Some see Jim Clark in a Lotus 25 others in a Lotus Cortina. I see him in both.

Last edited by Adam43; 26 Nov 2003 at 20:15.
Old 26 Nov 2003, 20:18 (Ref:795420)   #67
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
Sure have, I looked on your website.
Never mind, even some single seaters are pink, like Andy Powell's Pink Panther Royale RP26.
If you are reading this Andy, how is the post Festival shortening rebuild going?
Old 26 Nov 2003, 20:21 (Ref:795424)   #68
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Adam, is it pink?
Old 26 Nov 2003, 20:24 (Ref:795431)   #69
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
It's p..p...pi..pin..pur..purple.

Generally this thread has thrown up an interesting point (for myself). It is a long time since I've been to a club meeting that I haven't raced at Motors TV's excellent touring car meetings are the closest I've come!
Old 26 Nov 2003, 20:29 (Ref:795435)   #70
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
Oh yes and I partially agree, but you should see a Mk7 at Lydden!

I don't really care one way or the other. I like them both. Some see Jim Clark in a Lotus 25 others in a Lotus Cortina. I see him in both.
OK, I'll own up, I like all forms of racing, even 2CVs but on a short circuit. Can't take to the T Car concept though [the more powerful Irish RT2000s are the dogs]
Jim Clark - oh yes! Front wheel so high off the ground in the Cortina.
I'm not very happy when NW FF1600 follows a roofed formula onto the track, as the track is normally liberally covered in oil by then.
"but you should see a Mk7 at Lydden!" Not totally sure I'd like to see a Mk7 anywhere, The drivers must have enormous ba££s, or no brains.
Old 26 Nov 2003, 20:39 (Ref:795448)   #71
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
both I think! (see pic below, although it isn't very sideways)

Generally, I like the road car type racing to be based on road cars and the single seaters to be only racers. I'm not sure where T-Cars fits in with this and I have to admit I haven't particular followed them so I wouldn't like to comment too much.

There is something fun about a swarm (seems a good word to describe it!) of single seaters shooting down to the next corner.

Attached Thumbnails
lydden2003_0531_101328aa.jpg  
Old 26 Nov 2003, 21:41 (Ref:795508)   #72
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
OMG...Sam have you seen whats in that photo...!!!

Nice Car!!!
Old 26 Nov 2003, 23:25 (Ref:795609)   #73
Walshy
Veteran

England
Lancashire
Walshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just off Thread...........

You said it dhart
"TVR`S Or anything else with Chris Stockton in - always worth watching , i would even pay to get in! "

Pay to get in and watch would be right because when Chris is out, it's better to watch than be on track with him. Bloody menace...(Ha Ha)..

AdamAshmore....

Watching cars going around a track is different to watching them racing......Now this is racing...
Attached Images

Old 26 Nov 2003, 23:51 (Ref:795619)   #74
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
That looks like the swarm I described in my previous post! Great stuff.

Racing wise single seaters certainly don't hold exclusive rights to that. Our series puts on some good shows, despite the tonnage! Lots of Jag and hundreds of bhp per car heading towards the first corner.
Quote:
Originally posted by rdjones
I have to say I have enjoyed Legends and Clio's this year.
Perhaps the most cited example of racing at the moment is Renault Clios, the Legends or perhaps this from www.fullthrottle.co.uk

Swarming with roofs

Last edited by Adam43; 26 Nov 2003 at 23:56.
Old 27 Nov 2003, 02:41 (Ref:795694)   #75
alfaman
Racer

Mauritius
Middlesex
alfaman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For me it has to be the Castle Combe FF1600 championship. Big grids, close racing and action right down the field.

Historic Formula Ford was pretty thrilling as well.

And I was impressed by the John Cooper Challenge - well presented cars, big grids again and hopefully even more circuit races next year.