Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 8 Mar 2007, 21:55 (Ref:1861837)   #1
paddy
Veteran

England
Nottingham
paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpaddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spa 24 hours

I'm going over to Europe on a touring holiday this summer and I noticed that the Spa 24 hours would fit nicely into our schedule. I have just bought a camper van and I wondered if anyone could pass on any advice or experience of this event, particularly trackside camping? Are there any trackside camping areas and if so what facilities do they have? I would be with my wife and 8 year old son so family areas would be better if possible.
Old 9 Mar 2007, 07:23 (Ref:1862072)   #2
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Facilities? Spa? And that in one sentence?

If you park somehow near the old start-finish line (if this is possible on the weekend) it isn't too bad.
On the other side of the track (Les Combes up to Stavelot and back to the Busstop) there is nothing.

Best option is to use the campsite near Stavelot if you have extra means of transport.
Old 9 Mar 2007, 07:47 (Ref:1862082)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Agreed Eddy. There are no facilities at Spa other than the space outside of the "shopping centre" paddock.
Old 9 Mar 2007, 08:22 (Ref:1862107)   #4
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hi Paddy we "do" the Spa 24 each year. We camp at http://www.eaurouge.nl/index_en.htm which is a good site. They usually put the "race" punters (mainly tents) in the over flow field but I'd imagine if you asked to be on the main site with a camper they'd put you there happily, although there is nothing wrong with the overflow field (we prefer it) and it has some electric hook ups.

This is a "normal" campsite rather than a race circuit campsite, it is very friendly, the facilities are good and there is a decent (ish) childrens play area. There are always lots of other kids around if your lad fancies practising his Flemmish or Dutch!

There is bread/croissant delivery in the morning, a bar and I think they have hot food takeaway some evenings. If you take bikes it is a flat(ish) ride into the circuit itself through the Karting entrance. It's also not too far to cycle into Stavelot where there are a couple of small supermarkets.

We love the site, we meet people there who use it each year and everyone is really friendly. I would have thought it's a good option for your wife if she doesn't want to go to the circuit all of the time? You would really need bikes though and you'd need to be sure your lad could manage a couple of miles in what might be either very hot or very wet weather!

Another option is you can camp at Les Combes, this is a race circuit campsite, it has virtually no facilities (perhaps even none?) and is on the side of a pretty steep hill! It's probably cheap and it gets you within easy walking distance of the circuit. Personally I don't fancy it but I know people who have found it OK.

Drop me a pm if you want any more info.
Old 9 Mar 2007, 10:19 (Ref:1862201)   #5
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I still can't understand how Spa gets away with the lack of facilities year in, year out.
It is a crying shame, but that says about everything of the state of mind of the people who are running the ..... place.
Makes me ashamed of being Belg.... (right, forgot, not allowed to put those lovely people down )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet
Another option is you can camp at Les Combes, this is a race circuit campsite, it has virtually no facilities (perhaps even none?) and is on the side of a pretty steep hill!
And very probably gone by then. It is / used to be the marshals campsite, but a few weeks ago there were talks of it being knocked down.
Old 9 Mar 2007, 10:50 (Ref:1862217)   #6
paddy
Veteran

England
Nottingham
paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpaddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the info folks. I will look into your suggestion piglet. We will be taking bikes with us so that sounds good.
Old 9 Mar 2007, 11:12 (Ref:1862228)   #7
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy
Thanks for the info folks. I will look into your suggestion piglet. We will be taking bikes with us so that sounds good.
It's a lovely area, if you go, make sure you get to Coo - there is a cable car ride up the side of one of the gorges (I guess it's a gorge?) - it used to be lovely and peaceful, it now seems to be part of a bit of a theme park but is still well worth a trip.
Old 9 Mar 2007, 18:23 (Ref:1862513)   #8
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The childrens play area in the campsite isn't that good. It felt like it was going to collapse when I got on it...

That minor detail aside it's a nice little site (hot showers!!), and an awesome weekend (or 5 days in my case!) in every respect.
Old 9 Mar 2007, 20:47 (Ref:1862619)   #9
Piglet
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoyer
The childrens play area in the campsite isn't that good. It felt like it was going to collapse when I got on it...
LOL!! I think I must have missed that....we've got pictures of you guys doing the run of the circuit though
Old 10 Mar 2007, 15:03 (Ref:1863071)   #10
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes... I've seen them...
Old 10 Mar 2007, 16:57 (Ref:1863151)   #11
Piglet
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoyer
Yes... I've seen them...
but has 10/10's
Old 10 Mar 2007, 16:58 (Ref:1863152)   #12
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
Yeah they have actually, they don't need to be put through that again!
Old 10 Mar 2007, 18:05 (Ref:1863195)   #13
Isadora
Rookie

Isadora should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy V
I still can't understand how Spa gets away with the lack of facilities year in, year out.
It is a crying shame, but that says about everything of the state of mind of the people who are running the ..... place.
Makes me ashamed of being Belg.... (right, forgot, not allowed to put those lovely people down )

And very probably gone by then. It is / used to be the marshals campsite, but a few weeks ago there were talks of it being knocked down.
I agree, the facilities at Spa makes Silverstone look like a 5 stars. I have had the honour of staying at the marshals site (the one at les combes)...

Eddy: do you know anything about the current mess regarding the marshals' organisation/status at Spa? From what I've been told, it's a right shambles at the moment.
Old 10 Mar 2007, 19:19 (Ref:1863242)   #14
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Isadora, I'm not entitled to say anything about it at the moment.

But between you , me and the gatepost: it is very bad. The national club (like BMMC) has been disbanded by the Belgian MSA about two weeks ago. Hence the French speaking lot decided to stop all activity, the few Flemish onces are trying to keep the thing going.
But without support from the MSA?

Wonder what is going to happen at Spa, there should be NO Chief Marshal available now. Unless they get their act together soon.
So what is going to happen to the races? No marshals, only a selected group of "weekday marshals" or every possible man , woman or dog they can find in the Walloon pubs?