Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 19 Jun 2001, 09:42 (Ref:106794)   #1
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Le Mans Legends

Delightfully, the support race for the Le Mans 24 hours this year was a 45 minute race for "Le Mans Legends". Cars from 1948 to 1964 were eligible, and while the majority of the machines seen were regulars from the British Historic Racing scene, there were some notable newcomers to spot.

I'd never seen a Monopole running before, nor an Alpine M63. The Lola Mk6 GT and the AC 4.7 Le Mans Coupe were very welcome, as was an R1 Jowett Jupiter.

Sir Stirling Moss was conducting a C-Type Jaguar with his usual display of elegant ferocity, and David Piper was so wild with his Ferrari LM, missing a tyrewall at Indianapolis by a hair's-breadth.

And I never recorded it. I was at trackside at Arnage, confident in the knowledge that my video recorder was watching Eurosport for me.

It wasn't.

So has anyone out there got a copy of the Eurosport coverage, or even if Speedvision broadcast it, and would be prepared to duplicate it for me? Because I'd love to have that one in my archive.

And I understand that the ACO are plotting a 24 hours of Legends for 2002. Not one individual race, but a 24 hour period of races for cars of different classes and eras, including night racing. I think they'd better expect me to be first in the queue for that event.
Old 19 Jun 2001, 09:57 (Ref:106797)   #2
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That sounds pretty good. Both what was run and what might yet be run, I mean.

Were there representative numbers of Renault 750s as well?
Old 19 Jun 2001, 10:05 (Ref:106800)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Now, who do I know with a 1964 ex works MGB who might like to do some Le Mans 24 hour racing? I know B............. Nope, I'll phone him.
Old 19 Jun 2001, 10:10 (Ref:106802)   #4
Ray Bell
Veteran

That would be better than a Sunbeam Tiger that you have to change the big ends in during the race...
Old 19 Jun 2001, 10:20 (Ref:106804)   #5
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ray, no Renault 750s sadly, at least not this year.

Although I did see an immaculate R1066 4cv playing amongst the fast stuff on the Hunaudieres section on the Friday.

But how's this for a grid - this is what started on Saturday morning...

Frazer Nash LM Replica (Alistair Pugh)
Aston Martin 2 Litres (the Red Dragon) (David Laing)
Frazer Nash Le Mans Coupe (Stephen Curtis)
Osca MT4 (Roger Earl)
Jowett Jupiter R1 (Peter Dixon)
Kieft Bristol (Michael Erlich)
Talbot Lago T26 GS (Rick Hall)
Jaguar C Type 3442 (Sir Stirling Moss)
Jaguar C Type 3442 (Tim Llewellyn)
Ferrari 166MM Barchetta (Sally Mason-Styrron)
Allard JR (Martin Walford)
Jaguar XK120 JWK977 (John Foster)
Ferrari 500 TRC Spyder Scaglietti (David Cottingham)
AC Ace Bristol (David Alborough)
Frazer Nash Sebring (Ian Nuthall)
Cooper Bobtail (Marshall Bailey)
Monopole 11 750 (Bernard Deligny)
Lotus XI Le Mans (Pierre Pinelli)
Jaguar D type (Valentine Lindsay)
Aston Martin DB3S (David Bennett)
Jaguar D Type (Peter Neumark)
Maserati 300S (Dudley Mason-Styrron)
Aston Martin DB3S (Martin McGlone)
HWM Jaguar VPA9 (Julian Bronson)
Cooper Jaguar (Ben Eastick)
Austin Healey 100S (Stuart Graham)
MGA FHC Le Mans (Mike Entwhistle)
Lola Mk1 (Tony Moy)
DB HBR4 (Thomas Mittler)
MG A (Philippe Douchet)
Porsche 356A Carrera GT (Jeff Moyes)
Lotus XI (Malcolm Ricketts)
Porsche RS60 (Philip Ma)
Aston Martin DBR 1/2 (Peter Hardman)
Ferrari 250GT Berlinette (Jean Sage)
Ferrari 246S (Gregor Fisken)
Austin Healey 3000 (Christopher Clarkson)
Maserati Tipo 61 Birdcage (Alan Minshaw)
Tojeiro Jaguar RSF301 (Barrie Williams)
Lister Jaguar Knobbly (Gary Pearson)
Austin Healey 100/6 (Tim Rogers)
Sunbeam Alpine (Keith Hampson)
MG B 6DBL (Dave Saunders)
MG B Le Mans (Barry Sidery-Smith)
Lotus Elite DAD10 (Robin Longdon)
Lotus 23B (Duncan McKay)
Alpine M63B (Gerard Besson)
TVR Grantura Mk3 (Rob Grant)
Iso A3C Bizzarrini (Jeremy Agace)
AC Le Mans Coupe (Dickie Bird)
AC Cobra (Yvan Mahé)
Lola Mk 6 GT (Paul Haywood Halfpenny)
Jaguar Lightweight E Type (Frank Sytner)
Sunbeam Tiger LM Coupe ADU180B (Chris Beighton)
Ferrari 330LM/B (Tony Dron)
Ferrari 330 LM Berlinetta (Eric Heerema)
Jaguar Lightweight E Type (John Mayston-Taylor)
Lister Coupé (Justin Law)
Ferrari 250LM (David Piper)
Aston Martin DB4GT (Charles de la Haye Jousselin)
Ferrari 250 GTO (Lawrence Stroll)
Aston Martin DB2 (David Freeman)
Austin Healey Sebring Sprite (Christopher Clegg)
Old 19 Jun 2001, 10:37 (Ref:106814)   #6
Ray Bell
Veteran

They're about the only ones missing... apart from 300SLs and SLRs
Old 19 Jun 2001, 20:25 (Ref:107035)   #7
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tim, I watched the "Legends" race on Eurosport (sorry, didn't record it). It was fantastic to watch, but be prepared, if you manage to get hold of a copy, Eurosport didn't show it to the end. They - for some bizarre reason - chose to abort the transmission of the live race in order to show highlights of last year's Le Mans. Talk about priorities.
Old 19 Jun 2001, 20:49 (Ref:107057)   #8
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Saw a small amount of this race on the big screen in the 'village' and looked brilliant! However the other guys were making their way back to the campsite and I had to try and locate the media office, so sadly I never got to see them on track myself
Old 19 Jun 2001, 22:47 (Ref:107116)   #9
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We were at Tertre Rouge for the Legend race. As usual Pete Hardman was something else though the curve, sliding the Aston all the way though the bend.

All the cars were lined up on the pit straight on Friday afternoon.

From what I heard on Radio LM the race next year will be July 20/21 and comprise of a race for 1920 - 30 cars for 40 min + 20 min break, then 1930 - 40 cars 40 min + 20 then 1940 - 50 cars 40 min + 20 min and so on up to 1969. They than start all over again, then again, again and again until 24 hours is complete. IF this comes off it will be an awesome feat of orginisation, I just hope they find enough cars. The 1940 - 50 era will be very hard to pull together.

Simon
Old 20 Jun 2001, 04:33 (Ref:107204)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yopu can put me down for that one. If anybody needs a driver let me know. I can of course contribute to costs.
Old 20 Jun 2001, 04:54 (Ref:107210)   #11
Ray Bell
Veteran

It's a great opportunity for someone with an appropriate car. The odd Delahaye, 8C 2900 Alfa, that sort of thing, would be just the right event for them. And for a co-driver!
Old 20 Jun 2001, 08:03 (Ref:107230)   #12
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
I get the impression that it won't be a question of finding enough cars - more a matter of trying to whittle down the huge numbers of entries.

Just a pity that there isn't an early-seventies class planned. I've got a hankering to see some Mirages and Matra MS650s on the old track.

So, who's up for two trips to La Sarthe in 2002?
Old 20 Jun 2001, 10:39 (Ref:107275)   #13
Ray Bell
Veteran

What are the odds on M-B turning out a couple of 300SLRs complete with air brakes?
Old 20 Jun 2001, 10:42 (Ref:107276)   #14
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Dunno Ray. What are the odds?
Old 20 Jun 2001, 10:52 (Ref:107281)   #15
Ray Bell
Veteran

Pretty good, I would say, and I wouldn't bet against them securing Mossy to do some driving, either.
Old 20 Jun 2001, 12:37 (Ref:107346)   #16
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
I can't help thinking that the memories that would evoke might be just a little too raw - even after 47 years. Besides, I know the SLR has been brought out to do the Mille Miglia Retro, and Sir Stirling doesn't exactly hang about when driving it, but the Mercedes heritage department is pretty cagey about risking their machines in competiton.

Case in point being last year's Goodwood where David Coulthard was sent out to parade a W196 on his own while every other fifties GP car in town was being prepared for a competitive race....

What chance, though, a really early Gullwing 300SL? Some of those are in private hands, I think, and would make an interesting comparison against the C-Types and Talbot Lagos.
Old 21 Jun 2001, 15:16 (Ref:107916)   #17
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I think you'll find that's 3 trips including the Practice Weekend.

Better start saving the pennies. Good Job I've joined the Eurotunnel frequent flyer scheme.
Old 25 Jun 2001, 01:48 (Ref:109394)   #18
Wolf
Rookie

Wolf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oops... My mistake. *blush*

Last edited by Wolf; 25 Jun 2001 at 01:50.
Old 25 Jun 2001, 08:41 (Ref:109452)   #19
Kpy
Veteran

Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by TimD

Just a pity that there isn't an early-seventies class planned. I've got a hankering to see some Mirages and Matra MS650s on the old track.

Your wish appears to have been granted. According to Auto Hebdo this week the 2002 Historic 24 hrs will be in five classes from 1923 to 1975. Each class to run four times including one at night.

I made four trips to la Sarthe last year - pre-qualifying, the 24 hrs, the Historic 12 hrs on the Bugatti Circuit (UGH !!) and a long weekend enjoying the gentle Sarthe countryside with my beloved. I'm lucky enough to live and work in France.

The number one plus about next year's historic race is that it will be held on the full circuit - albeit with the chicanes on the Mulsanne (FIA sanctioned event). The problem with the 12 hrs on the Bugatti circuit is that, apart from the horrible circuit, it's one hell of a task to run any historic car for 12 hours, given that any driver worth his salt wants to race the car. The multiple short race in classes seems an elegant way round the problem.

P.S. What's the Tunnel frequent flyer (burrower ?) scheme ?
Old 25 Jun 2001, 08:46 (Ref:109454)   #20
Kpy
Veteran

Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by Ray Bell
What are the odds on M-B turning out a couple of 300SLRs complete with air brakes?

Unlikely I'd say, given the MB history at LM in '55 and '99.

OT may I say what a pleasure it is to encounter your input, Ray. Another place is the poorer without you.
Old 6 Jul 2001, 00:43 (Ref:113599)   #21
Wolf
Rookie

Wolf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK, the '01 race results are up...

http://www.lemans.org/course/lemans_...sultats_gb.htm
Old 6 Jul 2001, 08:54 (Ref:113649)   #22
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
P.S. What's the Tunnel frequent flyer (burrower ?) scheme ?
Apologies for the untimely reply...

If you check out http://www.eurotunnel.com you can join their Points Plus scheme for £10 which gives you 10% off each journey (more than pays for itself on the first trip) plus you can collect points (awarded with each crossing, plus purchases at the terminal or in City d'Europe) which can be put towards a discounted or free crossing.

They also do another 'Club Class' scheme where you get preferential treatment etc.
Old 6 Jul 2001, 21:05 (Ref:113855)   #23
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Guy Humpage
you get preferential treatment etc.
Sounds like just the right thing for TGF then!! (Sorry, I know it's a bad joke, and out of context, but I just couldn't resist it!)