Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 31 May 2010, 14:58 (Ref:2701839)   #1
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
F-duct = cleaner air?

While watching the Turkish GP yesterday, with even more teams running F-ducts, I was thinking:-

If a driver is using his F-duct to stall the rear wing, will the turbulence coming off it be reduced? And if it is, will this allow the following car to get a better slipstream & more speed? Alternatively, if the following driver tries to use his F-duct, will it be less efficient? Apologies if this has been discussed somewhere else.
Old 31 May 2010, 17:10 (Ref:2701897)   #2
neiltb
Racer

Scotland
toronto
neiltb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
with less turbulence you would expect less tow. You have to look at it in perspective though, the turbulence is still immense and I wouldn't imagine that using an f-duct (silly name) in the tow would do all that much, handy when you pull out though.
Old 31 May 2010, 20:58 (Ref:2702049)   #3
Rgms320
Racer

United States
Seattle
Rgms320 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I started thinking about this during Malaysia (I think) when Petrov seemed to glue himself to Hamilton down the straights. I had expected to see something written by the experts shortly after that race, but nothing popped up.

You might have something.
Old 31 May 2010, 23:13 (Ref:2702150)   #4
Tall Chris
Racer

England
Headcorn
Tall Chris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltb View Post
with less turbulence you would expect less tow. You have to look at it in perspective though, the turbulence is still immense and I wouldn't imagine that using an f-duct (silly name) in the tow would do all that much, handy when you pull out though.
It's called the 'F' duct as it is in line with the 'F' in Vodafone!
Old 2 Jun 2010, 16:00 (Ref:2703295)   #5
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
dyewat808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnage arnie View Post
While watching the Turkish GP yesterday, with even more teams running F-ducts, I was thinking:-

If a driver is using his F-duct to stall the rear wing, will the turbulence coming off it be reduced? And if it is, will this allow the following car to get a better slipstream & more speed? Alternatively, if the following driver tries to use his F-duct, will it be less efficient? Apologies if this has been discussed somewhere else.
Flamin' hell - why hasn't anyone else thought of this?

Its a good point. Anyone have any kind of idea?
Old 2 Jun 2010, 16:11 (Ref:2703298)   #6
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm not sure if turbulence is all that relevant on the straight. It's more of a problem in corners when it prevents the following car's aero from working properly. And obviously there the F-duct isn't used.
Old 3 Jun 2010, 21:26 (Ref:2704179)   #7
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye View Post
I'm not sure if turbulence is all that relevant on the straight. It's more of a problem in corners when it prevents the following car's aero from working properly. And obviously there the F-duct isn't used.
I was thinking more about slipstreaming & the effectiveness of an F-duct while following an F-duct equipped car.

And was that really the reason it's called an F-duct??!
Old 3 Jun 2010, 21:53 (Ref:2704185)   #8
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
In my mind.. the bigger the wing the bigger the hole in the air a car is going to punch. Hence better slipstream? Once you are in in that is.

Less wing will mean less turbulance... but less slipstream too?

If you had a car infront that had 0% drag... and a normal car behind.. there would be no slipstream for it to use?

But then again cleaner air may mean a faster car.

Or am I wrong?

What sort of motorist are you... Smooth or Hairy

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 4 Jun 2010, 13:51 (Ref:2704535)   #9
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This is a very complex subject and I am no expert, so anything I say is guesswork and probably wrong!

The purpose of the F-Duct is to increase top speed by reducing drag on the rear wing. As far as I know, over an aerofoil section increased drag causes an increase in turbulence - or at least increased turbulence increases the drag the aerofoil produces.

Some early reports of how the F-Duct worked talked of 'stalling the rear wing'. I have read elsewhere that this is cannot be the case. Stalling the rear wing would indeed reduce downforce but at the expense of increased turbulence and therefore drag - which would slow the car rather than allow it to go faster.

To achieve less drag the F-Duct and the airflow it controls to the rear wing slot, must somehow reduce the drag by improving the smoothness of the airflow over/under the rear wing. This I would have thought would reduce turbulence in the wake of the car.

Again it is only possible for me to speculated how this might affect the car following, but I would guess that it's airflow management - using wings, vanes, ducts etc - would be better than it would be in the more turbulent air behind the same car without the F-Duct being operated.
Old 4 Jun 2010, 22:03 (Ref:2704810)   #10
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
I will have to talk to my wind tunnel tech brother about this!
Old 5 Jun 2010, 00:30 (Ref:2704863)   #11
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
An article on how f-ducts work.

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/a...they-work.html

What every petrol-head was dying to know.
Old 5 Jun 2010, 07:53 (Ref:2704938)   #12
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Its not really anything new its been used on aircraft for years here
I think theres a lot of confusion because not many people understand how it works,including me..
Old 9 Jun 2010, 20:18 (Ref:2707718)   #13
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Right, after talking to someone who knows what they're talking about - IF a car without an F-duct could get close enough to a car using one, it should get more of a tow. BUT it would never be able to get close enough due to the extra speed gained by the F-duct.

Not quite sure how the F-duct of the following car would perform but the effects would be negligible.

So nothing really conclusive!