Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 1 Mar 2010, 01:18 (Ref:2642363)   #876
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deletraz View Post
Honestly, I'm not sure this has any impact on F1 in the US.

It certainly would have been nice to have a home team to root for, but I've managed to make it through a few decades without one.

F1 is a niche sport in the US, and having a backmarker US team wasn't going to change that. It shouldn't impact the effort to bring a race back to the US -- and for all the problems with Indy, it's worth noting that the USGP drew a huge crowd each year. They'll return sooner or later.

In terms of damage to F1 in the US, the 2005 USGP Michelin fiasco absolutely dwarfs this episode.
Certainly agree with all of that and I would add that 2006 at Indy was almost just as bad - half the field, including both McLarens, Button, the only American in the field, etc. were taken out at the first corner and there were only nine cars left to take the flag. In my mind, I cannot remember a worse race in the last decade. I remember telling my friend as we left the venue that no event could survive after the last two years and that we could wave bye-bye to F1 at Indy...
Old 1 Mar 2010, 01:19 (Ref:2642364)   #877
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I hope they aren't touching the layout

EDIT: Apparently they aren't but they're paving all the run-off...could be worse, I suppose
Old 1 Mar 2010, 01:34 (Ref:2642372)   #878
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It seems US F1 still think they can get on the grid...next year

Honestly, deluded. Very very deluded

Also I see no mention of Windsor. I hope for his sanity he has gone
Old 1 Mar 2010, 01:41 (Ref:2642379)   #879
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
Also I see no mention of Windsor. I hope for his sanity he has gone
I heard rumours of this actually but don't have a source I can link to.
Old 1 Mar 2010, 02:38 (Ref:2642396)   #880
slicktoast
Veteran

slicktoast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Apparently USF1 is asking for an extension/delay till 2011
See SPEEDTV site. One just has to look at the "main" open wheel series in the US to see how difficult this was going to be to pull off.
Old 1 Mar 2010, 03:16 (Ref:2642416)   #881
deletraz
Rookie

United States
Phoenix, AZ
deletraz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tblincoe View Post
Certainly agree with all of that and I would add that 2006 at Indy was almost just as bad - half the field, including both McLarens, Button, the only American in the field, etc. were taken out at the first corner and there were only nine cars left to take the flag. In my mind, I cannot remember a worse race in the last decade. I remember telling my friend as we left the venue that no event could survive after the last two years and that we could wave bye-bye to F1 at Indy...
True. Indy had its share of remarkably bad races.

It's a shame. No one will ever mistake the Indy road course for Spa or Monza, and yes, the infield section was about as Mickey Mouse as it gets... but from a spectator's standpoint, turn one at Indy was an outstanding viewing spot. Access to the track was always pretty easy, too, even in a big crowd.

As for USF1 deferring for a year... if they couldn't get the money for this year, I have no strong reason to think they'll find it for next year. It's not like they were working on the car and ran out of time. I'd like to see them get the deferment and get Ken Anderson the hell out of the team... but I'm not at all sure they deserve it.
Old 1 Mar 2010, 03:23 (Ref:2642418)   #882
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deletraz View Post
Honestly, I'm not sure this has any impact on F1 in the US.

It certainly would have been nice to have a home team to root for, but I've managed to make it through a few decades without one.

F1 is a niche sport in the US, and having a backmarker US team wasn't going to change that. It shouldn't impact the effort to bring a race back to the US -- and for all the problems with Indy, it's worth noting that the USGP drew a huge crowd each year. They'll return sooner or later.

In terms of damage to F1 in the US, the 2005 USGP Michelin fiasco absolutely dwarfs this episode.
You hit the nail on the head. Having a GP is much more important.
Old 1 Mar 2010, 03:41 (Ref:2642425)   #883
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry for the sidetrack, here's a link to the Glen for a straight story on the improvements for anyone interested.

My opinion would be that this work is being done for the benefit of the Nascar racing. But it would be great to see F1 there, and I'm hoping to get back to Montreal this year to see the race.

http://www.theglen.com/Articles/2010...k-Updates.aspx
Old 1 Mar 2010, 04:46 (Ref:2642435)   #884
tblincoe
Veteran

After such a competitive selection process and in consideration of the likes of who was left without an entry into the 2010 season, I sincerely hope that the FIA don't give USF1 their requested deferment.

It follows that if we can still get a Prodrive, Lola, N.Technology, etc. involved next year if there's a vacant spot, don't prematurely fill the void with Stefan. Leave USF1's vacant entry until next year and lets have a real selection process determine which team is best suited to fill it. That doesn't preclude USF1 from entering their bid again either.
Old 1 Mar 2010, 04:55 (Ref:2642437)   #885
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Prodrive begs the question, I think there's not a better prepared or experienced guy out there than Dave Richards, he's been there, done that, and has some impressive backing.
Old 1 Mar 2010, 05:15 (Ref:2642442)   #886
tblincoe
Veteran

Also, if you want to capture a larger share of US interest, just follow the model of what we've recently seen in Spain: event(s) + driver(s) = drastic rise in interest

My first GP was at Jerez in 1994 and the place wasn't even close to being full. If it wasn't on two wheels, Spaniards couldn't be bothered. Now look at what's happened with just the Spanish GP and Alonso in a few short years - we've got two events on the calendar in Spain, the entire pre-season testing cycle takes place there (with massive attendance for tests), and a Spanish team is on the horizon.

I don't think we Americans will give a crap about a backmarker, project of a team with domestic roots and foreign drivers that pay to play. Get a viable event on the calendar and get an American who can drive in an established team - preferably, one who has a bit of star power too. Americans care about celebrity above and beyond anything else. That's the only reason why NASCAR has had its success over the last decade. And speaking of NASCAR, we all know that at least one of those American boys has the ability to hold up in F1 - just look at what Jeff Gordon did a few years back when he tested at Indy. With all the clout that Bernie and co. claim to have, wouldn't you think they could at least get one of these guys into a proper test? I'm pretty sure we've got a recurring platform for such a test in Decembers now don't we? Guess what, all the guys on this side of the pond happen to be in their off season too... starting to make sense?
Old 1 Mar 2010, 05:35 (Ref:2642448)   #887
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
just look at what Jeff Gordon did a few years back when he tested at Indy. With all the clout that Bernie and co. claim to have, wouldn't you think they could at least get one of these guys into a proper test? I'm pretty sure we've got a recurring platform for such a test in Decembers now don't we? Guess what, all the guys on this side of the pond happen to be in their off season too... starting to make sense?
The problem always is that Jeff Gordon was earning something like $24m a year driving Nascar, so why would he change?
Old 1 Mar 2010, 07:20 (Ref:2642465)   #888
ncng
Rookie

United States
Grass Valley, CA
ncng should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Also, if you want to capture a larger share of US interest, just follow the model of what we've recently seen in Spain: event(s) + driver(s) = drastic rise in interest

My first GP was at Jerez in 1994 and the place wasn't even close to being full. If it wasn't on two wheels, Spaniards couldn't be bothered. Now look at what's happened with just the Spanish GP and Alonso in a few short years - we've got two events on the calendar in Spain, the entire pre-season testing cycle takes place there (with massive attendance for tests), and a Spanish team is on the horizon.

I don't think we Americans will give a crap about a backmarker, project of a team with domestic roots and foreign drivers that pay to play. Get a viable event on the calendar and get an American who can drive in an established team - preferably, one who has a bit of star power too. Americans care about celebrity above and beyond anything else. That's the only reason why NASCAR has had its success over the last decade. And speaking of NASCAR, we all know that at least one of those American boys has the ability to hold up in F1 - just look at what Jeff Gordon did a few years back when he tested at Indy. With all the clout that Bernie and co. claim to have, wouldn't you think they could at least get one of these guys into a proper test? I'm pretty sure we've got a recurring platform for such a test in Decembers now don't we? Guess what, all the guys on this side of the pond happen to be in their off season too... starting to make sense?
As an American, a back marker in F1 will not sale, Scott Speed did not sale, Alexander Rossi is the next great American racer in F1, the car doesn't need to be American unless it can challenge the might of Ferrari, but Rossi must secure a ride in a winning car, until the car gets up to speed, USF1 will be better off with experience Euro/S. American driver, say "Juan Montoya".

ncng
Old 1 Mar 2010, 10:42 (Ref:2642550)   #889
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncng View Post
As an American, a back marker in F1 will not sale, Scott Speed did not sale, Alexander Rossi is the next great American racer in F1, the car doesn't need to be American unless it can challenge the might of Ferrari, but Rossi must secure a ride in a winning car, until the car gets up to speed, USF1 will be better off with experience Euro/S. American driver, say "Juan Montoya".

ncng
From my point of view the comparison with Spain is very valid and the first step is to get an American driver that can compete in F1. I admit to limited knowledge of young drivers so could you please enlarge on Alexander Rossi's CV?
Old 1 Mar 2010, 12:00 (Ref:2642598)   #890
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
He is very good. His raw CV doesn't quite reflect how good he has been - he won FBMW North America and then went on to win the World Final, before he moved to IFM and was very impressive there, and he has also made a big impression in his first GP2 Asia races
Old 1 Mar 2010, 12:28 (Ref:2642616)   #891
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And now they seem to be asking for a deferral to 2011 - http://www.crash.net/f1/news/157310/...m_campaign=rss
Old 1 Mar 2010, 13:24 (Ref:2642649)   #892
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Which hopefully means the FIA can finally give their spot to Stefan.
Old 1 Mar 2010, 13:31 (Ref:2642653)   #893
F1 Prospects
Racer

Canada
Montreal
F1 Prospects should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregc View Post
And now they seem to be asking for a deferral to 2011 - http://www.crash.net/f1/news/157310/...m_campaign=rss
In my opinion USF1 should be granted an extension for a number of reasons.

(1) They are actually involved in a number of projects to develop American drivers in a number of junior series which can only be good for North American driver development as an F1 goal would be more attainable.

(2) The best way to get a US Grand Prix back (something that everybody wants) is to have a legitimate American team in the series.

(3) Yes Anderson and Windsor completely underestimated what it takes to get a team going but I truly believe they are born racers who want to compete and once things get properly sorted they will be in it for the long haul. They are not rich wanna-be racers with dubious backing just wanting to share in the glamour and glitz of F1.

FIA should work with them to get things sorted out and learn from this with regular audits of new teams to ensure this doesn't happen again.
Old 1 Mar 2010, 13:59 (Ref:2642669)   #894
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
I'm sorry but I think this thing needs to be scrapped full stop. USF1 have failed to deliver on almost every account. Why should they be given additional time? You can throw all the excuses you want, but the fact of the matter is there are other teams who have produced 2 cars in less time.

Stefan have a team ready (backed by the fully qualified Toyota group) and a fully working car. USF1 have yet to finish 1 car.

I think it's time to swallow some pride and make way.

Selby
Old 1 Mar 2010, 14:03 (Ref:2642673)   #895
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 Prospects View Post
In my opinion USF1 should be granted an extension for a number of reasons.

(1) They are actually involved in a number of projects to develop American drivers in a number of junior series which can only be good for North American driver development as an F1 goal would be more attainable.

(2) The best way to get a US Grand Prix back (something that everybody wants) is to have a legitimate American team in the series.

(3) Yes Anderson and Windsor completely underestimated what it takes to get a team going but I truly believe they are born racers who want to compete and once things get properly sorted they will be in it for the long haul. They are not rich wanna-be racers with dubious backing just wanting to share in the glamour and glitz of F1.

FIA should work with them to get things sorted out and learn from this with regular audits of new teams to ensure this doesn't happen again.
1) Other than designing a chassis for F2000, they haven't done squat.

2)You must have a different understanding of the word legitimate than I do. Penske is legitimate. The Racers Group is legitimate. Hendrick Motorsports is legitmate. USF1 is a completely unestablished team, a bunch of good engineers, led by an ego maniac with as much competance as he has hair on the top of his head.
Old 1 Mar 2010, 15:43 (Ref:2642719)   #896
grumpyf14d
Rookie

United States
London
grumpyf14d should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The blogs are beginning to report that USF1 is looking to miss the entire season and pay some 7 figure price to reserve a spot for 2011. Now let the fun begin.
Old 1 Mar 2010, 16:02 (Ref:2642732)   #897
tblincoe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
I'm sorry but I think this thing needs to be scrapped full stop. USF1 have failed to deliver on almost every account. Why should they be given additional time? You can throw all the excuses you want, but the fact of the matter is there are other teams who have produced 2 cars in less time.

Stefan have a team ready (backed by the fully qualified Toyota group) and a fully working car. USF1 have yet to finish 1 car.

I think it's time to swallow some pride and make way.

Selby
But don't you think that Stefan are opportunists and aren't really the best option for F1's future grids? Prodrive, Lola, or N.Technology could be ready to go at this point too if they were given a slot.

In my mind, we don't need two more cars on the grid just to have two more cars. The grid is PLENTY strong this year even without the three newcomers scheduled to appear at Bahrain and beyond.

I say do an open selection process for the 2011 entry without the silly engine-choice restrictions and get a real team that will be there in the future. If USF1 or Stefan deserve the spot, then give it to them. But don't gift it to them based on opportunity or a prior selection that wasn't fulfilled. If the FIA is truly concerned about having strong independent teams on the grid to counteract the dependence on manufacturer involvement, the decision is obvious in my mind.
Old 1 Mar 2010, 16:05 (Ref:2642736)   #898
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyf14d View Post
The blogs are beginning to report that USF1 is looking to miss the entire season and pay some 7 figure price to reserve a spot for 2011. Now let the fun begin.
Yeah, it's quite baffling to me that they're actually offering to front a 7 figure price to reserve a spot for 2011 when they still have unpaid suppliers and employee's...
Old 1 Mar 2010, 16:08 (Ref:2642737)   #899
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
All joking apart, Adam Cooper reports that Ken Anderson and Peter Windsor are blocking attempts by Chad Hurley to align US F1 with Stefan GP in some way. I can understand that this will have frustrated Zoran Stefanovich, but if he really has had another dig at the FIA as well that really is not the way to get on the grid on Bahrain.
According to information my friend Murphy has, if Hurley really wants to make a change, neither Windsor nor Anderson can block him.
Old 1 Mar 2010, 16:09 (Ref:2642739)   #900
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyf14d View Post
The correct course of action for the FAI is not to allow any more entries in 2010 and to revoke USF1's place as they are not in a position to compete. If this means we don't have 26 cars on the grid for 2010, so be it. They should open applications for any vacancies for 2011. Stefan and USF1 would both be free to apply on the same basis as every other team although USF1 in particular will have to accept that their history from this year is now part of their CV and would obviously be taken into account.

Any other process would show a lack of integrity, fairness and due process on the part of the FAI.

Presumably they will in fact pursue some other course as past experience suggests they do not put integrity, fairness and due process at the top of their list of priorities when dealing with F1.
Closed Thread