Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 3 Mar 2010, 21:14 (Ref:2644359)   #1026
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I didn't even think Pavlovic had much sponsorship money. He was in the bargain basement that was F2 last year after all.
Old 3 Mar 2010, 21:14 (Ref:2644360)   #1027
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
TRV6 chairman Alejandro Urtubey, who backed the project of López in USF1, is terribly disgruntled for the situation. Last Sunday, the airing of a race of his touring car series showed the presenters and commentators aiming lots of critics against Felipe McGough (López's manager) for the fiasco.
Old 3 Mar 2010, 21:22 (Ref:2644369)   #1028
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-matt View Post
I didn't even think Pavlovic had much sponsorship money. He was in the bargain basement that was F2 last year after all.
He also didn't even finish in the top eight of it.
Old 3 Mar 2010, 21:25 (Ref:2644377)   #1029
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-matt View Post
This is interesting - Autosport have an article on Jose Maria Lopez's manager mouthing off about USF1, but the interesting point is that it suggests that Milos Pavlovic would have been his teammate: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/81826

I was sure Pavlovic was involved with Stefan?!
It was indeed rumoured around the same time as the Valles rumours that Pavlovic was linked to the team
Old 3 Mar 2010, 22:28 (Ref:2644438)   #1030
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/81830

Anderson blames everyone but themselves
Old 3 Mar 2010, 23:08 (Ref:2644465)   #1031
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
He also didn't even finish in the top eight of it.
Formula 2 being what it is, that does not prove anything.
Old 4 Mar 2010, 02:00 (Ref:2644531)   #1032
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolddustMini View Post
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/81830

Anderson blames everyone but themselves

Okay then, well thanks for trying and have another go in 2011 now quitien down get rid of that really stupid name USF1, and do it without all the we can "move mountains in America" and just stop bull****ting yourselves, because if it was that easy Ken then everyone would be starting a F1 team..
Old 4 Mar 2010, 02:28 (Ref:2644537)   #1033
rocketracer
Veteran

Australia
Albert Park
rocketracer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrocketracer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
yeah, you get the feeling that all KA's planning of the organisation, and building of the car was based on a "best case" scenario, and probably wasnt very realistic... there was no contingency for how to deal with very probable obstacles. Very poor management, and that's you Ken.

part of any startup business is being creative and strategically planning your cashflow. If you havent dont that, or your strategy fails, then the axe must fall squarely on poor business management.
Old 4 Mar 2010, 03:57 (Ref:2644558)   #1034
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This has been an absolute shambles from the start and should never have been allowed to happen.
Old 4 Mar 2010, 04:46 (Ref:2644571)   #1035
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought I remember hearing during a Formula 1 broadcast a couple of years ago (and I am paraphrasing here) that to field an average IndyCar team (1 car) is around 3 to 5 million dollars. That includes the car, spare parts, pit crew, engineers, transportation, and fees.

One Formula 1 car is 14 million dollars.
Old 4 Mar 2010, 10:20 (Ref:2644704)   #1036
csirl
Subscriber
Racer

csirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that one of the reasons for the failure is that you had two Brits at the helm rather than some Americans. I suspect there may have been some culture clashes. Americans wouldnt react well to a superior attitude along the lines of "We're British, we know how to run an F1 team". This would rub American up the wrong way. Not good when you're trying to outsource a lot of your operations locally or are looking for favours to use wind tunnels etc.

If am American F1 team is to suceed, the lead partner will need to be an established US based operation. People like Andretti Green, Penske etc. Yes, they would need to bring in a lot of F1 expertise form outside, but the person at the top would be someone who is known and respected within the US.
Old 4 Mar 2010, 10:36 (Ref:2644714)   #1037
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by csirl View Post
If am American F1 team is to suceed, the lead partner will need to be an established US based operation. People like Andretti Green, Penske etc. Yes, they would need to bring in a lot of F1 expertise form outside, but the person at the top would be someone who is known and respected within the US.
They should hire Tony Stewart to run it. He knows how to get things done.

And no, I'm not joking - there is no doubt in my mind that Tony Stewart could 1) bring in the right people and 2) attract the right amount of financing.

That said, Stewart is probably too busy running his sprint car teams, Eldora Speedway and, oh yes, his two-car NASCAR Sprint Cup team to be interested
Old 4 Mar 2010, 12:41 (Ref:2644768)   #1038
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan View Post
They should hire Tony Stewart to run it. He knows how to get things done.

And no, I'm not joking - there is no doubt in my mind that Tony Stewart could 1) bring in the right people and 2) attract the right amount of financing.
Maybe when the US realises Dale Jr is all hype and no substance he can have a crack at running it
Old 4 Mar 2010, 13:49 (Ref:2644821)   #1039
DanShenise
Racer

United States
Atlanta, via St. Pete Beach
DanShenise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As an American who has worked for and with Englishmen since 1989, I call BS on this idea that cultural friction was the issue. There are either people who can get stuff done or people who can't. Yes I've seen American subs get bent out of shape for being asked to do their job properly, but generally its because they are lazy. Recently I've transitioned my career from residential work to expo and event work. Because of this I've started to see why so much of the fine engineering work has shifted overseas. The quality is better and the the same price. When I source complex mechanical components, I generally look to China, because an American supplier will want to redesign the piece because they know better (the Chinese don't ask questions, just do whatever is on the drawing), and have a delivery time much further out. While in China my boss (A Yorkshireman) designed a component on a scrap of paper at noon, and it was fabricated and on the job by 3pm. Its about the value of work, about half the subs I've worked with in the past 20 years got it, and half didn't. I'm sure the same is true in the UK (the Sean of the Dead, TV store scenes come to mind). The only thing I can attribute the failure of USF1 to is Ken Anderson and Peter Windsor. They failed to organized themselves properly, failed to delegate as necessary, failed to communicate as needed with the FIA and the public. Blame those two jackasses and not some cultural rift between English and US working standards.
Old 4 Mar 2010, 17:43 (Ref:2644968)   #1040
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanShenise View Post
As an American who has worked for and with Englishmen since 1989, I call BS on this idea that cultural friction was the issue. There are either people who can get stuff done or people who can't. Yes I've seen American subs get bent out of shape for being asked to do their job properly, but generally its because they are lazy. Recently I've transitioned my career from residential work to expo and event work. Because of this I've started to see why so much of the fine engineering work has shifted overseas. The quality is better and the the same price. When I source complex mechanical components, I generally look to China, because an American supplier will want to redesign the piece because they know better (the Chinese don't ask questions, just do whatever is on the drawing), and have a delivery time much further out. While in China my boss (A Yorkshireman) designed a component on a scrap of paper at noon, and it was fabricated and on the job by 3pm. Its about the value of work, about half the subs I've worked with in the past 20 years got it, and half didn't. I'm sure the same is true in the UK (the Sean of the Dead, TV store scenes come to mind). The only thing I can attribute the failure of USF1 to is Ken Anderson and Peter Windsor. They failed to organized themselves properly, failed to delegate as necessary, failed to communicate as needed with the FIA and the public. Blame those two jackasses and not some cultural rift between English and US working standards.
Nice post. I agree wholeheartedly.
Old 4 Mar 2010, 20:02 (Ref:2645068)   #1041
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I think that one of the reasons for the failure is that you had two Brits at the helm rather than some Americans. I suspect there may have been some culture clashes. Americans wouldnt react well to a superior attitude along the lines of "We're British, we know how to run an F1 team". This would rub American up the wrong way. Not good when you're trying to outsource a lot of your operations locally or are looking for favours to use wind tunnels etc.
I don't think that would be an issue overall as there are plenty of Limeys in US motorsport. Often they can be whiny and particular about nonessential details, but I don't believe that was a factor here.

IMHO was more the problem was that Windsor and Anderson were absent minded, absent altogether at times and failed to put into place a structure for getting work done and having that work funded. And there may be more to it than that. As I said before hopefully a full accounting of where the money went to should be done. If Mr. Hurley already put in $20 million and all that was produced was an uncrashworthy F1 monocoque than I say BS. You can go to Dallara or Lola and have them make a modern F1 monocoque for a tiny faction of that money.
Old 4 Mar 2010, 21:01 (Ref:2645106)   #1042
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Not many people know the full story. I suppose details as to why they failed so badly will come out over time. Losing a sponsor in January doesn't seem a good reason for the operation's failure as they should have had a car by that time.
Old 4 Mar 2010, 22:46 (Ref:2645161)   #1043
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Good call - think that you have it spot on there.

I find it hard to believe that Anderson is silly enough to think that anyone is going to believe that it was on track in mid January. Based on what they've shown, it was already way off track by then (maybe that was part of the reason for the sponsor not going ahead?).

For him to think that he can just BS his way out of looking silly is going to lose him any respect that he might have amongst people who work in racing & amongst knowledgeable fans too. Maybe he really is just a dreamer after all?

Be far better if the both of them just came out and said "we f****d up".
Old 4 Mar 2010, 23:19 (Ref:2645178)   #1044
DanShenise
Racer

United States
Atlanta, via St. Pete Beach
DanShenise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What KA is trying to sell is the greatest "the dog ate my homework" story of all times.

A few years back I came up with the idea that some people are so stupid/lazy/obsessive that they ask front to back or back to front questions. Basically they are so dumb & lazy, they need to be told which way to wipe their own butts or they are so obsessive they want to instruct others in the practice. From what I've seen KA was too busy micromanaging the way his employees wipe their own asses, to actually get on with running a multi-million dollar business operation. If you want to be involved in every aspect of something, may I suggest model airplane building, any business that involves anything other than say fine art painting will require some delegation.
Old 4 Mar 2010, 23:33 (Ref:2645190)   #1045
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
What KA is trying to sell is the greatest "the dog ate my homework" story of all times.
I can see the headlines already

Anderson: Dog ate car

"He said it was a bit rough"
Old 5 Mar 2010, 03:25 (Ref:2645259)   #1046
deletraz
Rookie

United States
Phoenix, AZ
deletraz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Ken Anderson is American.
Old 5 Mar 2010, 03:45 (Ref:2645264)   #1047
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I just wonder weather the man is a con artist?
Old 5 Mar 2010, 03:52 (Ref:2645267)   #1048
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Not at all just a dreamer..
Old 5 Mar 2010, 04:21 (Ref:2645271)   #1049
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
He must have recurring dreams.
Old 5 Mar 2010, 04:52 (Ref:2645276)   #1050
deletraz
Rookie

United States
Phoenix, AZ
deletraz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
He must have recurring dreams.
I have recurring dreams that I'm back in college and have to take a final but I forgot to go to any of the classes.

He has recurring dreams that the season is about to start but he forgot to build a car.
Closed Thread