Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 Jul 2010, 00:47 (Ref:2731984)   #51
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew2001 View Post
Guys, what depressed me was the helicopter shot going down the old track...the grass and bush that is growing in place of where it is, but you can still see where the track was ,the chicanes, so depressing.
I noticed that, a real shame.

I heard that the on going deficit of €5.3 million per race had to be covered by local taxes, making it likely the contract between Hockenheim and FOM would not be extended after the 2010 GP.

However, it transpires the contract for the circuit to hold the German GP has been extended to 2018, with FOA agreeing to cover any losses the event incurs.

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 25 Jul 2010 at 00:57. Reason: addendum
Old 25 Jul 2010, 00:49 (Ref:2731985)   #52
MCWB
Veteran

MCWB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
It looks like Sutil, rather than Glock, who has been given a grid penalty.....
Why not both? Sutil got a 5-placer, Glock got two 5-placers.
Old 25 Jul 2010, 06:48 (Ref:2732033)   #53
Rgms320
Racer

United States
Seattle
Rgms320 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Haven't they got their 'afterburner technology' that ensures continuity of airflow from exhaust when off throttle, thus not losing the downforce as they lift off in the corner.
So we can look forward to a couple of blown engines from Ferrari, then.

Actually, I thought this was a necessary mode of operation when running a blown diffuser, and I would guess that all the teams running them are operating their engines in this manner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox89
Well they've had good pace since Valencia, they've just wasted it. My gut tells me one driver from each of the top three teams on the podium tomorrow, although I wouldn't dream of guessing at the order!
Good point. But it seems to me they've found something extra this weekend.

Many thanks for the responses, folks!

Tom
Old 25 Jul 2010, 07:01 (Ref:2732035)   #54
Rgms320
Racer

United States
Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Haven't they got their 'afterburner technology' that ensures continuity of airflow from exhaust when off throttle, thus not losing the downforce as they lift off in the corner.
By golly, I think you've put your finger on it. I did some looking around and found the following article that confirms this is the first weekend Ferrari has run the new engine management system:

http://en.espnf1.com/ferrari/motorsp...ory/24089.html

And doing a Google search on 'blown diffuser engine management' returns a number of citations discussing this.

Many thanks!

Tom
Old 25 Jul 2010, 07:50 (Ref:2732044)   #55
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgms320 View Post
By golly, I think you've put your finger on it. I did some looking around and found the following article that confirms this is the first weekend Ferrari has run the new engine management system:

http://en.espnf1.com/ferrari/motorsp...ory/24089.html

And doing a Google search on 'blown diffuser engine management' returns a number of citations discussing this.

Many thanks!

Tom
My understanding is that while it's great for qualifying the special engine map uses too much fuel and creates too much heat to run in the race so in race trim the driver has to learn to drive around the loss of downforce when he lifts off the throttle while still making the best of the extra downforce when it is available. This might also explain why RBR have often been even stronger in qually than in the race this year.
Old 25 Jul 2010, 07:54 (Ref:2732047)   #56
Rgms320
Racer

United States
Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourWheelDrift View Post
My understanding is that while it's great for qualifying the special engine map uses too much fuel and creates too much heat to run in the race so in race trim the driver has to learn to drive around the loss of downforce when he lifts off the throttle while still making the best of the extra downforce when it is available. This might also explain why RBR have often been even stronger in qually than in the race this year.
That makes a lot of sense.

I read an article on this not too long ago (can't find it for the life of me) that discussed the exhaust valve and head overtemp problem. It didn't mention excessive fuel consumption, but that occurred to me, too.

I didn't think about them running this qually-only. It will be interesting to see their race pace.

Well, it would be interesting to see their race pace if this wasn't another )(*&)(*%*&^%^ tape delay! Grrrrrrr....

Thanks!

Tom
Old 25 Jul 2010, 07:55 (Ref:2732048)   #57
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Has anyone one else noticed that the Hockenheim circuit layout is shaped like a watering can?
Old 25 Jul 2010, 10:00 (Ref:2732078)   #58
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It is an OK track. There will always be the sadness of that unique old circuit, but it does hold some good races and the stadium section remains excellent.

I only wish they were scrabbling round those last few corners with low downforce again!
Old 25 Jul 2010, 10:03 (Ref:2732080)   #59
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It is an OK track. There will always be the sadness of that unique old circuit, but it does hold some good races and the stadium section remains excellent
If they'd just put some greenery around the new version it would be a brilliant track!
Old 25 Jul 2010, 10:38 (Ref:2732092)   #60
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
SSbaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
It is an OK track. There will always be the sadness of that unique old circuit, but it does hold some good races and the stadium section remains excellent.

I only wish they were scrabbling round those last few corners with low downforce again!
I always love Martin Brundle's technical analysis (as distinct from his personal biases )... in which he described the new layout as more a driver's circuit than a car circuit i.e. driver with the best power, aero and brakes usually dominated at Hockenheim. The corners introduced, place more emphasis on driver control and car set-up.

Another point from Brundle, I noticed during the BBC coverage, was the feedback to the engineers from qualifying, from Sutil... which was quite underwhelming (Brundle's frank opinion). He related the comments to Schumacher's assessment in which he'd normally identify the corner, the type of imbalance, and thereby dissect the corner into 4 parts and explain how the car behaves in each part. I guess that's the difference between a great driver and just a quick driver.

Can't wait for the race tonight. Should be a fantastic duel b/w RBR and Ferrari's now that the Ferrari's on the pace... with both McLaren's snapping at their heels. Bring it on!!!
Old 25 Jul 2010, 11:31 (Ref:2732104)   #61
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Why is EJ wearing two watches? One bloody enormous one and another that looks like a girl's. I think we should be told.
Old 25 Jul 2010, 11:38 (Ref:2732110)   #62
frostie
Ten-Tenths Photo Of The Year Winner 2013
Racer

Ireland
Dundalk
frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSbaby View Post
Can't wait for the race tonight. Should be a fantastic duel b/w RBR and Ferrari's now that the Ferrari's on the pace... with both McLaren's snapping at their heels. Bring it on!!!
Qualli was great yesterday and the race should be a fantastic battle, Alonso has had pace lately-Canada and Valencia especially-so hopefully he can keep himself out of trouble and battle Vettel for the win
Old 25 Jul 2010, 11:56 (Ref:2732118)   #63
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The first lap could give us firework with all those F-ducts and the hairpin.
Old 25 Jul 2010, 12:03 (Ref:2732122)   #64
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Wait for it!
Old 25 Jul 2010, 12:04 (Ref:2732123)   #65
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ferrari 1&2
Old 25 Jul 2010, 12:06 (Ref:2732124)   #66
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That was naughty from Vettel. Sending Alonso to the wall and costing himself 2 spots instead of 1.
Old 25 Jul 2010, 12:10 (Ref:2732125)   #67
manwell
Racer

manwell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Once again Vettel worries too much about blocking the driver beside him that he loses more places. If he had have gone straight at the start he would have been in 2nd not 3rd.
Unfortunately this seems to be a familiar trait with Vettel.
No wonder Webber is RBR's No.1
Old 25 Jul 2010, 12:22 (Ref:2732128)   #68
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Webber got the bum steer on the pit stop.
Old 25 Jul 2010, 12:25 (Ref:2732129)   #69
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Anybody have a good justin.tv link for the race today? Not getting a good feed from a different site here.
Old 25 Jul 2010, 12:32 (Ref:2732130)   #70
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Nice driving from Masa, showing Alonso how it's done.
Old 25 Jul 2010, 12:32 (Ref:2732131)   #71
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Massa V Alonso, nice little fight.
Old 25 Jul 2010, 12:33 (Ref:2732132)   #72
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
If Alonso allows himself to get frustrated now, he'll blow it.
Old 25 Jul 2010, 12:38 (Ref:2732133)   #73
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Fascinating struggle at the front, not just for the lead, but for supremacy at the scuderia.
Old 25 Jul 2010, 12:39 (Ref:2732134)   #74
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What did Alonso say on the radio ???
Old 25 Jul 2010, 12:41 (Ref:2732135)   #75
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Rob Smedley is back on. Massa will win.