Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 27 Jan 2024, 20:33 (Ref:4193654)   #1326
Protonman
Rookie

Protonman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess everyone is now hanging on news of 3 drivers who we anticipate being on the grid but are unsure where. These are Watson Gamble and Moffatt . If as suggested elsewhere they all join Toyota then that team will be well funded but fall short of being the title changers we hoped for . It would also mean lights out and close the door for those like Butcher and Cook which is massive loss . Only the last seat at PMR and Hyundai would remain , the latter probably going to a shock new unknown which has becomes PMRs trademark and the other to a wealthy pay driver .
It would also mean this years grid will be light on numbers although high on quality . Effectively Only 2 Indy teams and one or possibly 2 in the JST . Very top heavy . If Moffatt doesn’t get a seat he may resurrect his own team, possibly opening the door for dynamics and Bobby T . No other new entries I can see otherwise their plans would surely be known by now .
Old 27 Jan 2024, 21:13 (Ref:4193692)   #1327
ACF_
Racer

ACF_ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiiiiiiim View Post
It has done pretty much since the Supertouring days ended and all the manufacturer money went.
True. Just seems to have become gradually more & more difficult for drivers over the years.

Last edited by ACF_; 27 Jan 2024 at 21:33.
Old 27 Jan 2024, 21:56 (Ref:4193702)   #1328
Millvi
Racer

Millvi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think One Motorsport and Steve Dudman should be written off just yet for 2024. I'm sure Mr Dudman will be especially keen to go up against Restart Racing and Bert Taylor this season coming.

One Motorsport have TBLs, premises, an active social media presence and M-Sport and Neil Brown powered Civics at their disposal.

I could see a line-up at One Motorsport being something like Gamble and Proctor and a Jack Sears competitor such as Daryl DeLeon. After the revitalised PMR Astra last year it would make sense to go with the M-Sport TOCA engined former BTC Civics.
Old 27 Jan 2024, 22:01 (Ref:4193704)   #1329
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
I have a feeling if Excler8 were sticking with their line-up, as I assumed they would be likely to, it would’ve been announced by now? Ingram seems all-but confirmed but not seen anything from Chilton, who was apparently on a similar deal?
I'm sure Chilton was confirmed long ago. Wasn't that announced on the Saturday of Brands Hatch?
Old 27 Jan 2024, 22:06 (Ref:4193706)   #1330
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
I'm sure Chilton was confirmed long ago. Wasn't that announced on the Saturday of Brands Hatch?
Not sure - like Ingram, he doesn’t seem to be part of any official confirmation list and I can’t remember seeing him doing any promo stuff over the winter, like Ingram and Pearson have done. Couple that with the fact Excerl8’s line-up still seems to be up in the air.

But yeah, I was sure he was on a deal for this year so maybe it’s all quiet because everything’s sorted. Or perhaps silly season’s gotten too boring and I’m grasping at straws!
Old 27 Jan 2024, 22:27 (Ref:4193710)   #1331
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
I think your thinking of 2022 for 2023. Press release went out on 8th October, the Saturday at the final Brands round.
Old 27 Jan 2024, 22:31 (Ref:4193711)   #1332
Ant25
Racer

Ant25 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Not sure - like Ingram, he doesn’t seem to be part of any official confirmation list and I can’t remember seeing him doing any promo stuff over the winter, like Ingram and Pearson have done. Couple that with the fact Excerl8’s line-up still seems to be up in the air.

But yeah, I was sure he was on a deal for this year so maybe it’s all quiet because everything’s sorted. Or perhaps silly season’s gotten too boring and I’m grasping at straws!
Hopefully should start hearing more start of next month
Old 27 Jan 2024, 23:49 (Ref:4193727)   #1333
SV8Predator
Racer

SV8Predator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
Huff, Watson, Moffat, Cook is my prediction.
I've already posted that this is likely.

End of.
Old 28 Jan 2024, 06:58 (Ref:4193808)   #1334
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millvi View Post
I don't think One Motorsport and Steve Dudman should be written off just yet for 2024. I'm sure Mr Dudman will be especially keen to go up against Restart Racing and Bert Taylor this season coming.

One Motorsport have TBLs, premises, an active social media presence and M-Sport and Neil Brown powered Civics at their disposal.

I could see a line-up at One Motorsport being something like Gamble and Proctor and a Jack Sears competitor such as Daryl DeLeon. After the revitalised PMR Astra last year it would make sense to go with the M-Sport TOCA engined former BTC Civics.
Do they have any personel?…
Old 28 Jan 2024, 06:59 (Ref:4193809)   #1335
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACF_ View Post
It's unfortunate that money talks higher than experience & skill these days.
What, like F1?! How many drivers their are bring budget?
Old 28 Jan 2024, 07:02 (Ref:4193811)   #1336
Millvi
Racer

Millvi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Do they have any personel?…
With the demise of Team Hard might there be plenty of team personnel to be available? And don’t drivers often bring a band of key people with them?
Old 28 Jan 2024, 08:57 (Ref:4193824)   #1337
ACF_
Racer

ACF_ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
What, like F1?! How many drivers their are bring budget?
That's a bit irrelevant isn't it? I'm talking about BTCC on a thread that is discussing BTCC.
Old 28 Jan 2024, 09:30 (Ref:4193831)   #1338
Protonman
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV8Predator View Post
I've already posted that this is likely.

End of.
I was thinking Gamble not Moffatt but this fits with rumour of total change at Toyota . Cookie definitely a draw as he is championship contender so long as he can be funded and given car . Two solid back ups as well with sufficient funds . If so where does that leave Gamble . Maybe one motorsport if they can put stuff together or dynamics where he could partner Bobby T .
With regards to my earlier text , any idea if Pearson or Doble still qual for JST or did their podium finishes rule them out last year ?
With regard to new cars I wondered if a pair of BMWs might be available for hire if WSR update this year . Or perhaps something using those floor plans going begging from Hard . Would love a few more Indy or JST entries to keep the sun plot afloat away from the top table .
Old 28 Jan 2024, 11:20 (Ref:4193846)   #1339
SSmith
Veteran

SSmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protonman View Post
With regards to my earlier text , any idea if Pearson or Doble still qual for JST or did their podium finishes rule them out last year ?
As soon as any driver achieves an overall podium finish in a race they cease to be eligible for the JST in future seasons (or if you win the JST title regardless of podiums as happened to Crees).

Pearson and Doble remain eligible for the JST as neither have finished on the podium (Pearson's best was a P4, Doble a P5).

In 2023, Andrew Watson won the JST title and had a 2nd at Knockhill so is no longer eligible from 2024 onwards, likewise Sam Osborne will no longer be eligible due to his 3rd at Donington.
Old 28 Jan 2024, 13:25 (Ref:4193877)   #1340
Protonman
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmith View Post
As soon as any driver achieves an overall podium finish in a race they cease to be eligible for the JST in future seasons (or if you win the JST title regardless of podiums as happened to Crees).

Pearson and Doble remain eligible for the JST as neither have finished on the podium (Pearson's best was a P4, Doble a P5).

In 2023, Andrew Watson won the JST title and had a 2nd at Knockhill so is no longer eligible from 2024 onwards, likewise Sam Osborne will no longer be eligible due to his 3rd at Donington.
Thanks I recalled both Drivers ran with the leaders and they might have finished top 3 . Then their were those crazy wet races which threw up a few unexpected results .
Old 28 Jan 2024, 15:02 (Ref:4193884)   #1341
SSmith
Veteran

SSmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protonman View Post
Thanks I recalled both Drivers ran with the leaders and they might have finished top 3 . Then their were those crazy wet races which threw up a few unexpected results .
No worries! Yes, Pearson finished 3rd on the road in the wet/dry Donington R2 but was disqualified for ride height and then of course there's the "what could have been" for Pearson in Knockhill R3 (running 3rd until team orders). Doble worked his way up the grid in the wet/dry Donington R2 (to reach 5th) and then Silverstone R1 is a "what could have been" (pole position but he thought there were 2 green flag laps and so started last).

Thus far the only other confirmed (through official press releases not rumours) driver eligible for the JST in 2024 is rookie Scott Sumpton, although no doubt we'll have a few others by the time the grid is finalised.
Old 28 Jan 2024, 15:25 (Ref:4193890)   #1342
coffinpilot
Racer

coffinpilot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess with Karun Chandhok still being on the Sky F1 roster his ambition to get a season of BTCC under his belt is still off the menu!!

He did say he nearly signed a deal two or three years ago but his Sky retention put a stop to that. I guess we'll have to wait until he gets pushed before he gives it another look. What would that take??!!
Old 28 Jan 2024, 18:19 (Ref:4193995)   #1343
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACF_ View Post
That's a bit irrelevant isn't it? I'm talking about BTCC on a thread that is discussing BTCC.
My point was even F1 drivers have to bring budget - sport if it was a bit deep
Old 28 Jan 2024, 19:00 (Ref:4194043)   #1344
InYourMirrors45
Racer

InYourMirrors45 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffinpilot View Post
I guess with Karun Chandhok still being on the Sky F1 roster his ambition to get a season of BTCC under his belt is still off the menu!!

He did say he nearly signed a deal two or three years ago but his Sky retention put a stop to that. I guess we'll have to wait until he gets pushed before he gives it another look. What would that take??!!
Pretty sure it was SKY pushing for him to do it in return for funding it and then wanting to make a ‘BTS doc’ for their F1 coverage. I’m not convinced Karun himself was ever that motivated to do it, he hasn’t raced anything other than historics for god knows how long.
Old 28 Jan 2024, 20:36 (Ref:4194070)   #1345
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
Quote:
Originally Posted by InYourMirrors45 View Post
Pretty sure it was SKY pushing for him to do it in return for funding it and then wanting to make a ‘BTS doc’ for their F1 coverage. I’m not convinced Karun himself was ever that motivated to do it, he hasn’t raced anything other than historics for god knows how long.
Not sure ITV would be cool with Sky wandering around the BTCC paddock?
Old 28 Jan 2024, 21:03 (Ref:4194074)   #1346
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Not sure ITV would be cool with Sky wandering around the BTCC paddock?

If you think about it logically, FOM allow all broadcasters to film around all parts of the circuit whilst the cars are not on track, so I cannot see that ITV would have a problem with SKY filming Chandhok whilst he was not in action. A small fee may be incurred, but i'm sure that it would not be insurmountable as it's possible that it may garner more interest from people who have never seen the BTCC on TV.
Old 28 Jan 2024, 21:12 (Ref:4194075)   #1347
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Sky had no problem with Brundle racing at LM, so I can’t see them having a problem with Chandhok racing in the BTCC
Old 30 Jan 2024, 11:05 (Ref:4194227)   #1348
MarcusH26
Racer

MarcusH26 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://www.autosport.com/btcc/news/butcher-takes-btcc-sabbatical-for-2024/10570553/

Rory Butcher to take the 2024 season off as a sabbatical.
Old 30 Jan 2024, 11:25 (Ref:4194228)   #1349
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
one year sabbatical usually means multi year or permanent one
Old 30 Jan 2024, 11:39 (Ref:4194230)   #1350
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
one year sabbatical usually means multi year or permanent one
Typically, yes.

Drivers who took sabbaticals in the last 10 seasons:

Andy Neate (2014-2015)
Marc Hynes (2015-?)
Simon Belcher (2016-?)
Jason Plato (2020)
Mat Jackson (2020-?)
Matt Neal (2021-?)
Tom Oliphant (2022-?)