Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Nov 2003, 12:13 (Ref:770689)   #1
Monza Bambino
Rookie

Monza Bambino should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Should we not also focus on DC in the wet at Spa, say circa 98..?
Old 2 Nov 2003, 12:22 (Ref:770697)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think the idea was to talk about drivers excellin in the wet at Spa.

Which in 1998 was Michael (in a Ferrari) and Damon (in a Jordan).
Old 2 Nov 2003, 12:32 (Ref:770706)   #3
Monza Bambino
Rookie

Well Damon, only won because of team orders.
A memorable race nonetheless.
Old 2 Nov 2003, 12:36 (Ref:770709)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
and Ralf was only within a shot because of the pace car. Damon had been on the pace all weekend. Out qualifying Michael with his Jordan.
Old 2 Nov 2003, 12:36 (Ref:770710)   #5
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Monza Bambino
A memorable race nonetheless.
Team orders prevented Ralf from attempting a pass, is certainly did'nt put him in front or gift him the win.
Old 2 Nov 2003, 12:39 (Ref:770713)   #6
Monza Bambino
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
and Ralf was only within a shot because of the pace car. Damon had been on the pace all weekend. Out qualifying Michael with his Jordan.
True Sir, but Damon had a slow puncture, so had team orders "not" been applied, it's obvious Ralf would have won...this doesn't diminish Damons performance, it's just the whole truth.
Old 2 Nov 2003, 16:09 (Ref:770805)   #7
Heebeegeetee
Veteran

Heebeegeetee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I seem to recall Damon was ahead the whole weekend, practice, qualifying, race, including both starts. being behind your team mate over a three-day weekend hardly earns you the right to expect your team to see things your way.
I don't think I recall him having a slow puncture, I thought he was just reeling the laps off to ensure the team got their first one-two. You could be right, either way, it was the only way Ralf was able to catch up.

Its ironic that someone who likes MS, dislikes another driver 'cos of team orders...

Would I be right in saying that the fortunes of Williams, Jordan, and of course Arrows, have not been what they were since Damon left them?

Hopeless RACING driver, though, although he did have his moments...

Last edited by Heebeegeetee; 2 Nov 2003 at 16:11.
Old 2 Nov 2003, 21:19 (Ref:770942)   #8
Monza Bambino
Rookie

Not sure what you're talking about Hegeebeegee, I don't dislike Damon Hill, he proved himself as a worthy F1 driver, scored 1 WDC and nearly got another.

Now, he's not as good as MS, but "none" of them are ...LOL
Old 2 Nov 2003, 22:32 (Ref:771013)   #9
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Should we not also focus on DC in the wet at Spa, say circa 98..?
If you want to focus on DC, why don't you start a thread on him then, instead of hijacking this one? I opened this thread to read about Senna - not DC, Ralf, Damon and Michael.
Old 2 Nov 2003, 23:47 (Ref:771061)   #10
Svend
Rookie

Svend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Then tell the whole story;

Not only was Ralf able to close a 25 second gap because of the safety car, all Hill proposed was that they were not going to race to ensure the team result. There is no indication that Ralf would have been able to challenge Hill if they both were going flat out.
Old 3 Nov 2003, 05:49 (Ref:771217)   #11
Monza Bambino
Rookie

Ohh Dear R's thrown a tantrum.

Quote:
Originally posted by R
If you want to focus on DC, why don't you start a thread on him then, instead of hijacking this one? I opened this thread to read about Senna - not DC, Ralf, Damon and Michael.
I haven't hijacked it, in fact I've played a role in rescuing it.
There's nothing stoping you from waffling on about the past drivers, I'm current generation mate, the real deal, not fantasy of the past.

Old 3 Nov 2003, 05:51 (Ref:771218)   #12
Monza Bambino
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Svend
Then tell the whole story;

There is no indication that Ralf would have been able to challenge Hill if they both were going flat out.
YES SIR!!!

Your info further validates that it was a top effort from Hill...I can't see your problem
Old 3 Nov 2003, 17:40 (Ref:771797)   #13
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Ohh Dear R's thrown a tantrum.

Quote:
There's nothing stoping you from waffling on about the past drivers, I'm current generation mate, the real deal, not fantasy of the past.
Monza Bambino, since you're a rookie, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. You can't have much experience from discussion forums. The title of this thread is "Senna in the rain at Spa". That means it's supposed to be about Senna - it doesn't need to be "rescued" by someone bringing up DC or whoever. For those of us who have been around for a good few years, that's just more of what we've read 100 times before. That's why we like the threads to stay on subject, so that we don't have to waste time reading something we've already been through several times before.

If you don't like to read about and discuss drivers past, you can stick to threads concerning contemporary drivers, and stay out of threads such as this one. After all, threads concerning contemporary issues are in the majority, so you shouldn't have trouble finding something you'd like to discuss. Or if you don't find the subject you want to talk about, you can start a new thread on that topic. It's that simple.

Last edited by R; 3 Nov 2003 at 17:41.
Old 3 Nov 2003, 17:47 (Ref:771808)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I was partly at fault too, because I responded to a blatant off topic post. However I did attempt to bring it back.

Give me a minute R and I'll sort it...
Old 3 Nov 2003, 18:47 (Ref:771922)   #15
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Damon/Ralf/DC Spa '98 - take 2

Ok, I understand that Hill/Ralf/David in 1998 has little to do with Senna's drives from Spa, and that thread was rightefully splitted. But why close it?

:confused:
Old 3 Nov 2003, 18:53 (Ref:771932)   #16
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Oh, sorry I accidentally forgot to re-open it!

Do you want it open?

Last edited by Adam43; 3 Nov 2003 at 18:54.
Old 3 Nov 2003, 19:22 (Ref:771948)   #17
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Re: Ohh Dear R's thrown a tantrum.

Quote:

Interesting theory........rescued it........right.......

Many of us like to reminisce about older drivers such as Senna, mansell et al as they are true legends and arguably more interesting than nowadays. They were the real deal. Mate.
Old 4 Nov 2003, 06:23 (Ref:772315)   #18
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
Do you want it open?
Nah, not really, was just curious...
Old 4 Nov 2003, 07:08 (Ref:772324)   #19
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not a damon fan one little bit but he definitely deserved spa 98.As others said,he was on the pace all weekend.
Old 4 Nov 2003, 09:28 (Ref:772438)   #20
CVT
Rookie

CVT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
now quite what happened...

a year or two ago, there was a topic just like this one in another forum. i think it was on F1-live or Daily-F1.

some guy got sick of the whole **** so he uploaded an mp3 file(6-12 minutes long) about Jordan's Spa 98 race.(it was probably ripped-off a Jordan 98 season review, since Jordan was the main focus in the race, appart from all the incidents.)

basically there was some narrative and radio messages about the race.

1. there was no mention about Damon Hill's slow puncture.

2. Ralf was indeed lapping faster(2 secs) than Damon Hill even before the Safety Car came out.

the radio message was something like: "Keep it up Ralf your lapping 2 secs a lap faster than the leader."

3. Damon Hill was talking to the pits about the "situation"(i.e. Ralf lapping faster than him).

DH, said something like: "We have a situation here, we could either race and have an accident. or we could just finish in formation."

4. I think it was Eddie Jordan who gave the Team Order.

EJ said something like: "Ralf, hold station don't overtake. that's an order!"

5. LoL! Ralf didn't Answer for like 10 seconds

EJ: "Ralf, do you understand?"

Ralf: "...."

EJ: "Ralf, do you understand?"

Ralf: "...."

EJ: "Ralf?"

Ralf: "........ok...."
Old 4 Nov 2003, 09:31 (Ref:772447)   #21
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Heebeegeetee
Hopeless RACING driver, though, although he did have his moments...
Excuse me, but you don't win 22 races if you're hopeless.
Old 4 Nov 2003, 11:02 (Ref:772542)   #22
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

Last edited by ralf fan; 4 Nov 2003 at 11:04.
Old 4 Nov 2003, 12:19 (Ref:772619)   #23
Phoenix1
Veteran

Phoenix1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In terms of the race and DH vs. Ralf I think it is right in a race as wet as that to hold station.I am a DH fan and would be annoyedif i was the other way but at the end of the day it is a team sport. The driver is a part of the system and the team. DH was leading so when the safety car came out with only a few laps left I believe it was right to hold station. I remember hearing that Williams had a team order about if both drivers where 1-2 or high up and clear then to hold station when they where in the last ten laps. At Spa EJ wanted 16 points not two damaged cars. I for one am in favour of sensible team orders.
Old 4 Nov 2003, 12:46 (Ref:772643)   #24
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
I think I'm one of the few people left that agrees with team orders. Jordan were heading for a suprise victory, and it would have been insane for Eddie to risk his drivers taking each other out rather than taking an easy 1-2.

And I'm hardly a Damon fan.
Old 4 Nov 2003, 12:56 (Ref:772655)   #25
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Wrex - Agree, in this example it was the right thing to do. Jordan couldn't afford to throw away a win. Ralf was a lot less experienced than Damon, a scrappy passing move could easily have seen both of then spin off.

Not particularly a Damon fan either...