Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 30 Jul 2009, 10:43 (Ref:2511545)   #1
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My first 24hr event

Hi All

It's just over a week until my first 24hr event (as a marshal) when I head to sunny Snetterton for the 2cv race. I was just wondering if anyone had any special words of wisdom to give me regarding extra equipment to take, how things work in the darkness (such as going trackside/to stranded cars etc), how long we are on post for & how long breaks are-anything really! I'm sure we'll get a full briefing on the day but it's always good to have a little head start.

Thanks in advance

Steve
Old 30 Jul 2009, 11:09 (Ref:2511563)   #2
Paul Newns
Veteran

Paul Newns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Take a head torch and spare batteries, lots of warm clothing (it gets surprisingly cold in the middle of the night, even at this time of year), hot drinks, sunglasses to cut the glare from the headlights at night. Take breaks when they are offered, even if you don't feel tired,
Old 30 Jul 2009, 11:12 (Ref:2511565)   #3
mandyh000
Racer

England
Rugby
mandyh000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You do 4 hours on 4 off.... use the radio they give you to keep you awake and make tea and coffee when needed. Use your breaks to get some shut eye and just enjoy it
Old 30 Jul 2009, 11:31 (Ref:2511578)   #4
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
One of the first things I learnt from my first event (a Willhire way,way back)
A spare set of gear if you have it. If it rains hard there's nothing worse than getting back into a set of cold, soggy ovies/jacket/boots.

other stuff
Fluorescent tabards should be supplied, but if you have one take it with you.
Never used a head torch (& I think I've done 16 24h races now), just a minimaglite like thing for around the post and something a lot more powerful for seeing things further away. (Like oil on track, always tricky to spot)
Old 30 Jul 2009, 11:58 (Ref:2511597)   #5
HairyDJ
Veteran

England
Milton Keynes
HairyDJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some warm food as well as the hot drinks throughout the night shifts - I like Hotcan (self heating tins) products, but there are others at camping shops - they heat themselves so can give you a hot meal even when on post / away from cooking gear. I also like to keep a pack of Kendal mint cake in the pockets just in case I'm sagging - don't overdo the Red Bull or the caffeine hit will stop you getting off to sleep at the right time.

I'd also second the advice on spare clothing - a good woolly type hat is great in the wee hours too.

Consider some earplugs to help you sleep through the background noise - it might be a slightly longer walk, but pitch your tent where you get least people walking past it whilst your trying to sleep.

Above all, enjoy it - the sunrise is always my favourite time.

P.S. if the sleep pattern has played havoc with your body rhythms, take it easy on the drive home!
Old 30 Jul 2009, 12:39 (Ref:2511632)   #6
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Newns View Post
it gets surprisingly cold in the middle of the night, even at this time of year
It gets surprisingly cold in the middle of the day as well.
Old 30 Jul 2009, 12:53 (Ref:2511647)   #7
mini1400
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chelmsford, Essex
mini1400 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't be surprised if your on post on your own....
We'll get light sticks for the flags, yellow and red, as well as a radio. Anything happens, call it in. If a car stops the safety car will be deployed and the car recovered to the pits.
Take your waterproofs!
Enjoy yourself - and the after race party!
Old 30 Jul 2009, 18:09 (Ref:2511842)   #8
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sleep when you can,even if you don't feel tired. Eat when you can, even if you don't feel hungry. Kept me going through numerous 24 hour races over the last 6 years.

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 30 Jul 2009, 18:15 (Ref:2511848)   #9
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
With particular regard to the 2CVs - there is a good chance you'll be on your own, so tune into the circuit PA to keep you amused if the fm feed is active as it normally is (if not, then any radio will do, it won't really distract you because they're 2CVs).

If anything happens, you may not be able to spot numbers first off, but don't worry about it, just give as much info as you can.

Responding to incidents - as may not be able to if you're on your own, just cover it with the light stick and get the SC out. If you do feel able to head out, be extra careful because you're less visible. Don't go anywhere near the track until the race has been neutralised because not even the drivers may know where the edge is.

Main thing though is that it's a brilliant event, so get stuck in and enjoy it
Old 30 Jul 2009, 18:36 (Ref:2511859)   #10
mini1400
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chelmsford, Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodysnatcher View Post
One of the first things I learnt from my first event (a Willhire way,way back)
A spare set of gear if you have it. If it rains hard there's nothing worse than getting back into a set of cold, soggy ovies/jacket/boots.
The 2CV guys are a bit more civilised - at least one team will have a tumble drier in their garage to dry off our kit when we take our breaks
Old 30 Jul 2009, 18:40 (Ref:2511862)   #11
mini1400
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chelmsford, Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asp View Post
With particular regard to the 2CVs - there is a good chance you'll be on your own, so tune into the circuit PA to keep you amused if the fm feed is active as it normally is (if not, then any radio will do, it won't really distract you because they're 2CVs).
Last cople of years we've been given little FM radios to follow the commentry on, also this year everyone at home has no excue to miss out :

Quote from Terry:
Not only is the club, with BARC, running the only 24hr motor race in the UK in 2009, but it is almost certainly the first race in the UK to have a world wide live webcast of the broadcast commentary, at www.2cvracing.org.uk. Race partners Professional Motor Sport World Expo (www.professionalmotorsport-expo.com) Fine Print (www.lionpic.co.uk), Classic 2CV Racing Club, Crusader Vans, racer Nick Roads and MSV / Snetterton Circuit have all contributed to making the webcast happen. "

So there you go, if you're bored in the middle of the night, then tune in and hear what fun and games we're having
Old 30 Jul 2009, 19:04 (Ref:2511877)   #12
JackN
Racer

United Kingdom
Norrrrrfolk
JackN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HOW HAVE I FORGOTTEN ABOUT THIS??

Is it too late to volunteer? Who do i need to contact? Does it matter that im at work till 8.30pm on the Saturday? Does it matter im still a trainee?

Thanks!
Old 30 Jul 2009, 19:11 (Ref:2511885)   #13
mini1400
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chelmsford, Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackN View Post

Is it too late to volunteer? Who do i need to contact? Does it matter that im at work till 8.30pm on the Saturday? Does it matter im still a trainee?

Thanks!
Not too late, we still need marshals!

Even if you can just do the night shift you'll be welcome, give Becci a call - or drop Terry Scannell or Peter Harding a pm and you should be able to get in
Old 30 Jul 2009, 19:20 (Ref:2511896)   #14
Terry Scannell
Veteran

United Kingdom
North Walsham, Norfolk
Terry Scannell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Steve,

There's lots of little things which when combined make this meeting so enjoyable and allow it to work so well with relatively few people involved perhaps compared to other 24hr races.

As stated we run 4hrs on 4hrs off duty shifts during the 24hr with basically 2 teams of marshals alternating on a rota system (thanks normally a great deal of blood, sweat & tears from Peter Harding and Mike Whitney!!) which allows the marshals to also rotate posts and personnel so that you benefit from a great deal of variety over the course of the event.

A minibus is available to transport marshals to and from posts around the outside of the circuit for the crew changeovers if you require it.

We normally have the use of somewhere dry and warm to use as a rest area for the off duty periods thanks to Jamie and the MSV team and we are normally well provided for with teas/ coffee etc by the 2cv teams/club. This is especially useful during the period during the night when Tyrrell's may be closed and for those who may not have the benefit of a caravan or tent etc.

As mentioned by Mike the teams normally allow us use of the tumble dryer should the weather be wet and you will always find a very friendly welcome in all the garages with coffee / tea being offered perhaps.

It is likely that occasionally you may find yourself on a post alone, but the team "upstairs" are always aware of this and will keep in regular contact by radio if need be. Any incidents or breakdowns are normally covered by safety car and recovery towbacks so there should be little need to actually go on track.

Re: Mike's comment re: Radio's I understand from Martin Harrold that there may be a small quantity of ear radio's being donated to the marshals and Martin has suggested that any mashals that still have the ones from last year or any small FM battery powered radio will be able to pick up the commentary which is especially useful at night when the circuit PA system stops due to the noise curfew.

The light system combined with the light sticks work well at night and the drivers do take notice of them!!

Anyway Steve I'am sure you'll enjoy the experience no matter what the weather!

Terry
Old 30 Jul 2009, 19:23 (Ref:2511897)   #15
Terry Scannell
Veteran

United Kingdom
North Walsham, Norfolk
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackN View Post

Thanks!
Hi Jack, Never to late as Mike said.

PM me your details and if you can include the periods you can assist with, I sort you some passes and info.

Thanks for the offer of assistance - it is appreciated.

Terry
Old 30 Jul 2009, 19:56 (Ref:2511918)   #16
mini1400
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chelmsford, Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Scannell View Post
Re: Mike's comment re: Radio's I understand from Martin Harrold that there may be a small quantity of ear radio's being donated to the marshals and Martin has suggested that any mashals that still have the ones from last year or any small FM battery powered radio will be able to pick up the commentary which is especially useful at night when the circuit PA system stops due to the noise curfew.
Must pop down to Maplin's tomorrow and pick up some batteries!
Old 30 Jul 2009, 19:58 (Ref:2511920)   #17
mandyh000
Racer

England
Rugby
I know my radio from 2 years ago didnt last the night.... i think it was waterlogged by about midnight and packed in!
Old 30 Jul 2009, 20:07 (Ref:2511925)   #18
Terry Scannell
Veteran

United Kingdom
North Walsham, Norfolk
Better get in the queue for a new one quickly Mandy - Must admit it was rather wet that year wasn't it - but good fun!!!

Look forward to seeing you at the weekend.

Terry
Old 30 Jul 2009, 20:22 (Ref:2511932)   #19
mandyh000
Racer

England
Rugby
you know me Terry always there with plenty of time to spare . Looking forward to the next few weekends down at Snet should be an absolute cracker
Old 31 Jul 2009, 15:12 (Ref:2512522)   #20
tete rouge
Rookie

England
Retford
tete rouge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We will have the trusty tumble dryer and the burco in the back of our garage should any of you need either.

Although shh don't tell anyone but it's not going to rain
Old 31 Jul 2009, 19:00 (Ref:2512678)   #21
Terry Scannell
Veteran

United Kingdom
North Walsham, Norfolk
Quote:
Originally Posted by tete rouge View Post
We will have the trusty tumble dryer and the burco in the back of our garage should any of you need either.

Although shh don't tell anyone but it's not going to rain
Paul - you are a star as always!! Thanks for the offer - but it's Snet and it's going to be sunny and dry during the days and a lovely moonlit night - and it's always brilliant on my planet!!!

Looking forward to seeing you next week!!! but you never know where I'll be during the 24hrs -cause I don't yet!!!

Terry
Old 31 Jul 2009, 19:28 (Ref:2512691)   #22
DaveW
Racer

United Kingdom
Suffolk
DaveW should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And you're not always sure where you've been after the event either!
Old 31 Jul 2009, 22:41 (Ref:2512819)   #23
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks for all the advice guys & gals. I'm not too worried about the staying awake side of things as I work shifts, including nights, so my body clock is usually all over the place. Really looking forward to this & hope to see you all there
Old 2 Aug 2009, 21:51 (Ref:2514221)   #24
snetmarshal
Racer

snetmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Somehow this weekend Mr Scannel has coaxed me out of retirement for the 24hr!
Old 3 Aug 2009, 10:40 (Ref:2514481)   #25
The Wench
Rookie

Scotland
The Wench should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have decided to give the 24hr meeting a go, it will be my first 24hr event and also my first visit to Snetterton so quite looking forward to it.
I will be there at some point Friday afternoon (might need a hand with my tent) . Hope we have at least dry weather even if its just until the tent goes up