Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 28 Jan 2024, 05:26 (Ref:4193796)   #51
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
A minor reason.If you think brands like BMW and Audi want to position themselves as an equal manufacturer to GM and Ford you have no idea.
Why would those manufacturers want parity with a shitbox boganmobile.That is not their market.
What are talking about, there are other manufacturers besides BMW and Audi and BMW has raced against the bogans previously anyway,, you should think before you post.
Old 28 Jan 2024, 06:36 (Ref:4193806)   #52
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If you are referring to Group A BMW did race against Commodores and Mustangs and thrashed them at least until CAMS decided on a Bathurst Special Parity system in the last few years of the category.
I recall a Camaro running in GT in Australia 7-8 years ago.4-5 seconds a lap slower than the front runners.Can’t remember any such cars running in Europe or at Bathurst 12 Hour.
Old 28 Jan 2024, 10:28 (Ref:4193837)   #53
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
If you are referring to Group A BMW did race against Commodores and Mustangs and thrashed them at least until CAMS decided on a Bathurst Special Parity system in the last few years of the category.
I recall a Camaro running in GT in Australia 7-8 years ago.4-5 seconds a lap slower than the front runners.Can’t remember any such cars running in Europe or at Bathurst 12 Hour.
JPS BMW 635CSI Jim Richards at the wheel.
Old 28 Jan 2024, 10:30 (Ref:4193838)   #54
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They only built 7 of those Reiter Camaros.

I don't see what comparing how the car corporates 30-40 years ago spent their marketing budgets does for present day discussion. It's in the past.

Giving a social media influencer a press car on loan does more for sales and brand awareness than motorsport below World Championship level (WRC, F1, for example), will ever do.
Old 28 Jan 2024, 12:01 (Ref:4193855)   #55
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Why would they bother sinking a 7-figure sum into maybe 4 cars, in a niche market, that haved little if any, Audi DNA in them?

They wouldn’t, it’d be a colossal waste of money.

And that’s a Supercars problem they should be worrying about
Old 30 Jan 2024, 22:20 (Ref:4194288)   #56
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Back to my original point - V8SC has become uninteresting and one dimensional, with only two types of cars that mechanically don't bear any resemblance to production models and always one side or other is complaining about parity. I've never cared about parity, if you want parity then go to a one-make series. V8SC is simply trying to sustain and outdated idea that everyone either loves Ford or Holden (oops now it's Chevy) when the reality is a large number of fans like myself don't give a hoot. Especially so now the cars are just shells made to look like production cars.
Old 30 Jan 2024, 23:06 (Ref:4194296)   #57
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
with only two types of cars that mechanically don't bear any resemblance to production models
I think the engine blocks are the same as the road models. Obviously not the dry sump or pistons or rods or stroker or destroker crank, but just the block itself.

Quote:
I've never cared about parity, if you want parity then go to a one-make series.
A Mustang Cup or Camaro Cup would eliminate the parity problem. In any case, organisers are confident they can make two slightly different vehicles perform identically in every way.

Good luck to the technical working group if a shorter wheelbase Toyota Supra with a turbocharged BMW inline-six is ever entered in the series...
Old 30 Jan 2024, 23:45 (Ref:4194301)   #58
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The whole concept of two domestic manufacturers competing on the track is dead and buried but what astonishes me and always has is that the present owners actually paid good money for a category that had no future and why anyone would do that is beyond me. If they had of waited and done some logical thinking they could have had it for nothing as CVC painted themselves into a corner with an end date and would have had to fold it all up anyway. All the teams and personnel would have just reopened shop after the closure and carried on. I think the series is a wobbly deck of cards looking for a place to collapse due to a lot of factors yet to be addressed as the industry changes and the management thinking stays in the dark ages. Even if the two car concept was changed now (not going to happen) 5 years down the track it would be forced to make decisions based on the future of the ICE cars disappearing from the market place.
Old 31 Jan 2024, 04:04 (Ref:4194328)   #59
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Sorry, what is CVC?
I think any motorsport category (apart from Classic and Historic types or course) needs to look at itself every 5 years or so to be sure it is still current. That's often what happens, too, but the bigger and higher budget series face much higher costs to change if they're using some type of bespoke formula.
Which is why I like the idea of basing it on a lightly to moderately modified version of what's available today or up to say 5 years ago.
Old 31 Jan 2024, 09:21 (Ref:4194358)   #60
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Sorry, what is CVC?
Previous owners of lease for Formula One.
Old 31 Jan 2024, 19:32 (Ref:4194439)   #61
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
Previous owners of lease for Formula One.
Oh, right, gotcha. Thx.