Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 5 Jan 2012, 06:13 (Ref:3007530)   #551
woodduck97
Rookie

woodduck97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number25 View Post
My point is, the game is still the same through the field. Just a new top dog. And I prefer this dog.
But it is a very expensive, unsustainable dog....
Old 5 Jan 2012, 08:21 (Ref:3007542)   #552
B24
Racer

Australia
Glebe, NSW, Australia
B24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont think any cars out there are making up the field. I ready dont think any long distance race cars spend much time and effort to make up the field. They are there because they want to be there. A bit like every other motorsport fan.
GT unsustainable? No more than any other car. Its all relative.
Old 5 Jan 2012, 08:24 (Ref:3007543)   #553
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche91722 View Post
SpeedTV, who seem to be having a love affair with Aus racing (at what and whose cost, I don't know), at the moment, are broadcasting the tail end of the race, which will further enhance its status world wide.
Isn't it only the Australian channel that is broadcasting anything live from the race?

Quote:
Originally Posted by B24
I think its very unfair to claim the top level production cars are the victims of the GT spec cars as all the classes below the top level production car may also be labelled as victims of the high performance production cars.
I think the problem was more that the class went from being the focus of the event to also-rans. I can perfectly understand their feelings.

If the revived 12hr in 2007 had accepted GT cars right from the get-go and had the production cars as a lower class in the race, i don't think there would have been any problems.
Old 5 Jan 2012, 08:50 (Ref:3007546)   #554
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
If the revived 12hr in 2007 had accepted GT cars right from the get-go and had the production cars as a lower class in the race, i don't think there would have been any problems.
There's still the problem of the proddies getting enough television exposure to attract a sponsor.
Old 5 Jan 2012, 08:58 (Ref:3007551)   #555
Number25
Rookie

Number25 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No different to the Justin Mathews yaris etc needing sponsorship for the race in 2010. That's a risk taken in any class. And that's motorsport, it's the same in any category anywhere in the world. Except maybe f1.
Old 5 Jan 2012, 09:11 (Ref:3007557)   #556
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number25 View Post
No different to the Justin Mathews yaris etc needing sponsorship for the race in 2010. That's a risk taken in any class. And that's motorsport, it's the same in any category anywhere in the world. Except maybe f1.
That's a good point, but I think it is a bit different.
Old 5 Jan 2012, 09:16 (Ref:3007559)   #557
R4z3rw33n
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane.
R4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodduck97 View Post
But it is a very expensive, unsustainable dog....
As far as professional motorsport is concerned, nothing is sustainable. Any current category/set of technical regulations will, at some point, no longer be sustainable at a level of professional competition.

The organisers (and, evidently some of the local market) had/have a clear desire to see GT machinery run in a professional capacity at this event.

GT3 was, and remains to be the most viable (standardised) option available to event organisers within this region.
It's the best means of achieving the aforementioned goal, when factors such as cost, availability, and technical extravagance are considered.

If we're using sustainability (albeit in a loose sense) as a gauge, GT3 afforded the greatest possible margin within the current environment.

Last edited by R4z3rw33n; 5 Jan 2012 at 09:22.
Old 5 Jan 2012, 10:38 (Ref:3007607)   #558
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by R4z3rw33n View Post
If we're using sustainability (albeit in a loose sense) as a gauge, GT3 afforded the greatest possible margin within the current environment.
Agreed, but the sustainability of the event for the organiser will depend on significant support from those entrants running GT3 in Australia. Hasn't happened this year, possibly for good reason, but it could kill the concept.

By the way the level of budget and sponsorship to run a Yaris is hardly comparable with that required to run an outright car under the Prodcar regs. Not really a spportable argument.
Old 5 Jan 2012, 11:01 (Ref:3007619)   #559
Number25
Rookie

Number25 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would that not depend on the individuals intending to race either style of car? The "haves" and the "have nots"? I think it's all relative.
Old 5 Jan 2012, 11:14 (Ref:3007626)   #560
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
would be a nice addition
Old 5 Jan 2012, 11:33 (Ref:3007636)   #561
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to their website it will be racing in Australia in 2013.
Old 5 Jan 2012, 11:52 (Ref:3007643)   #562
R4z3rw33n
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane.
R4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
Agreed, but the sustainability of the event for the organiser will depend on significant support from those entrants running GT3 in Australia. Hasn't happened this year, possibly for good reason, but it could kill the concept.

By the way the level of budget and sponsorship to run a Yaris is hardly comparable with that required to run an outright car under the Prodcar regs. Not really a spportable argument.
Haven't the organisers already acknowledged (verbally) the importance of local competitors? (I'm unsure, that's a genuine question).
I won't debate the event's livelihood depends on local entries - I agree, and I've stated this on multiple occasions.

Certain issues faced by the organiser at present are difficult to anticipate from the outset. After all, the current scenario is a product of multiple factors:
e.g.:
- AustralianGT's ownership change.
- Event clashes (resulting financial/logistical hurdles).
- Financial requirements/sponsorship obligations.
- Personal (competitor) preference.

Unfortunately, there are fewer local outright runners as a result. I'd argue the few local competitors that have been secured are of considerable substance, however.
The likelihood of their being in contention is great for the event, locally.

The matter of local entries in volume isn't solved, though.
The event organisers are likely examining this. Hopefully some of the issues listed can be solved (or at least minimised) in future years.
Old 7 Jan 2012, 23:09 (Ref:3008746)   #563
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mr McKay apparently likes the 12 hour..Here
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 8 Jan 2012, 02:06 (Ref:3008815)   #564
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Pom at the 12 hr...

dropping in for this weekend from UK on the way to see family in BNE; will all local accomodation be booked up solid by now? What chance of a b&b / farmstay / guest house maybe a bit further out, say 30 - 45 minutes away?
Any hints and tips please?
Old 8 Jan 2012, 02:45 (Ref:3008825)   #565
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
some info on homestay

list of accom

Quote:
If you would like to add your contact details to our database or require any further
information please contact the Bathurst Visitor Information Centre on 02 6332 1444
Old 8 Jan 2012, 02:48 (Ref:3008826)   #566
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
dropping in for this weekend from UK on the way to see family in BNE; will all local accomodation be booked up solid by now? What chance of a b&b / farmstay / guest house maybe a bit further out, say 30 - 45 minutes away?
Any hints and tips please?
I booked accommodation mid way through last year and got the last room at a hotel near the track. The hotel manager told me that most motels had teams, drivers etc having an automatic booking each year which only required confirmation/numbers etc.
If you don't have any luck with the www.wotif.com site after entering Bathurst into your search, then try the towns such as Orange which is about 40 minutes away.
Good Luck
Old 11 Jan 2012, 06:02 (Ref:3010093)   #567
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
About 2 weeks since the entries closed.
I'm sitting here wondering if I should spend good money to finalise a booking on an RV for the weekend or not?
Is it actually going to happen? And if it is who, and how many are running?
Staying home and watching some of it on speed is starting to sound like a cheaper, if less attractive option, and I don't loose any money if it doesn't happen.
Old 11 Jan 2012, 06:16 (Ref:3010094)   #568
TCR
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
TCR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Craill View Post
There will be further news next week.
Still waiting........

Tickets bought, accomodation booked, hopefully it'll be worth the trip.
Old 11 Jan 2012, 06:24 (Ref:3010096)   #569
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
[QUOTE=Oldtony;3010093]About 2 weeks since the entries closed.

I'm sitting here wondering if I should spend good money to finalise a booking on an RV for the weekend or not?
Is it actually going to happen? And if it is who, and how many are running?
Staying home and watching some of it on speed is starting to sound like a cheaper, if less attractive option, and I don't loose any money if it doesn't happen.[/QUOTE

Whilst i have already booked i understand your caution and frustration. The 12 hour facebook page is telling everyone that there is news coming, but how long can the Christmas New Year break line be trotted out as you would think that they would be keen to get any good news out there ?
Personally, i would be making the trip just to see the Sports Sedans tackle the mountain.
Old 11 Jan 2012, 08:03 (Ref:3010107)   #570
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
I am thinking of going but it'll depend on whether I can find acommadation and more importantly if I can get time off work . Is there camping available on the mountain?

Would like to know this upcoming news too, its been more then a week, Xmas and New Years are gone and everyone's ramping up for Dubai, holidays are over.
Old 11 Jan 2012, 08:30 (Ref:3010117)   #571
TCR
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
TCR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't believe you can camp on the mountain, but there is camping in the pit paddock.
Old 11 Jan 2012, 11:05 (Ref:3010175)   #572
B24
Racer

Australia
Glebe, NSW, Australia
B24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are enough teams and classes to make a great weekend and 12hr race, you all clearly love the race so book in and come along and enjoy yourself and support the event.
There is camping in the pit area($50 for the weekend) but you may still find accomodation at Bathurst Goldfields.
Old 11 Jan 2012, 11:06 (Ref:3010177)   #573
jd yort
Veteran

Australia
On An Island
jd yort should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reload View Post
Personally, i would be making the trip just to see the Sports Sedans tackle the mountain.
At this point in time no names have been published or leaked to who is competing. You would think the carrot of the mountain would be too much to resist for John G not to enter the Audi but we are in the dark still. Regardless there will be a great contingent from NSW and with so many new TransAm cars arriving here, surely some of them will be running.
Old 11 Jan 2012, 19:54 (Ref:3010358)   #574
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sports sedans

Not to mention Team Ricciardello - hard to imagine Basil not rising to the challenge of running the 'most travelled' Alfa at the mountain.
Old 11 Jan 2012, 21:23 (Ref:3010384)   #575
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hopefully more news on entrants may come out at this weekend with the running of the Dubai 24 hours.
The commentary from the race and qualifying is live on Radio Le Mans.
There is also live video streaming at http://live.24hseries.com/
The test day is now on the Radio Le Mans Midweek Motorsport Podcast.