Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 5 Aug 2011, 19:14 (Ref:2936261)   #76
rabbit_racer
Rookie

United States
Washington, DC
rabbit_racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
Forza 4 ALMS car additions??
Shoot.. we've had that for GTR2 for the last 3yrs!!! Hell I race in an online ALMS league. Most likely Forza b/c of the MSFT sponsorship given what I've heard.
Old 5 Aug 2011, 19:18 (Ref:2936264)   #77
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit_racer View Post
Shoot.. we've had that for GTR2 for the last 3yrs!!! Hell I race in an online ALMS league. Most likely Forza b/c of the MSFT sponsorship given what I've heard.
I have neither, so Im stuck with Yawn Turismo Five and a massive 3 premium LMP cars racing against cars from the 70s and a Pikes Peak Car.
Old 5 Aug 2011, 19:23 (Ref:2936266)   #78
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
50kg weight advantage and large restrictor breaks???? On Paper Dyson should be dominating.
Old 5 Aug 2011, 19:24 (Ref:2936267)   #79
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Audi Racer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
BMW still take the pole lol.

also to the post that said "finally Melo does Qualy" i think Vilander is just as fast as melo. That wasnt the problem i dont think
Old 5 Aug 2011, 19:24 (Ref:2936268)   #80
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Audi Racer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
50kg weight advantage and large restrictor breaks???? On Paper Dyson should be dominating.
Its a lola unfortunately.not the best of chassis
Old 5 Aug 2011, 19:24 (Ref:2936269)   #81
rabbit_racer
Rookie

United States
Washington, DC
rabbit_racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I have neither, so Im stuck with Yawn Turismo Five and a massive 3 premium LMP cars racing against cars from the 70s and a Pikes Peak Car.
GTR2 is CHEAP now and you can probably get it fairly easily. Online racing is a blast especially when you have 3 classes buzzing around. We even race at MidO that is VERY accurate. If you need your fix it's a cheap way to get it and we've tried to make the cars pretty equal and realistic.

Anyways.. sorry for the OT. If you want any info just drop me a PM.

I'm pulling for the Lizards this weekend. They'll need some luck.
Old 5 Aug 2011, 19:27 (Ref:2936271)   #82
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit_racer View Post
GTR2 is CHEAP now and you can probably get it fairly easily. Online racing is a blast especially when you have 3 classes buzzing around. We even race at MidO that is VERY accurate. If you need your fix it's a cheap way to get it and we've tried to make the cars pretty equal and realistic.

Anyways.. sorry for the OT. If you want any info just drop me a PM.

I'm pulling for the Lizards this weekend. They'll need some luck.
Might get back to you on that, but I think I can get it. Will check prices ect, the thing that has always turned me away from IRacing is that it comes across as an expensive country club for sim racers.

Thank you!
Old 5 Aug 2011, 19:29 (Ref:2936273)   #83
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi Racer View Post
Its a lola unfortunately.not the best of chassis
They're all Lolas...

As for GTR2 yeah it's a fabulous game, modded C6.R vs DBR9 on WSGT is pure awesomeness...
Old 5 Aug 2011, 19:36 (Ref:2936275)   #84
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
Nevermind, explained better in next post.

Last edited by FordCosworthPanoz; 5 Aug 2011 at 19:43.
Old 5 Aug 2011, 19:38 (Ref:2936276)   #85
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
They're all Lolas...
Yeah, the difference isn't really with the chassis so as much as it is with the engines. It looks like Dyson gets too many breaks on the slower tracks and it looks like they need more of a break on the bigger tracks. It's hard to say if IMSA's moves are justified though. I'm not sure.

EDIT: Having said that, there were some issues about the Dyson cars not being able to run at full weight or something. I am forgetting the details now and I don't know if that is still relevant with the work Dyson has been doing to their chassis since the Le Mans break.

Autocon qualified ahead of all the LMPCs. That's progress, but they are still way off the pace of the coupes. It is interesting that the starting grid is in perfect order on the basis of class.
Old 5 Aug 2011, 19:42 (Ref:2936278)   #86
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGD View Post
Yeah, the difference isn't really with the chassis so as much as it is with the engines. It looks like Dyson gets too many breaks on the slower tracks and it looks like they need more of a break on the bigger tracks. It's hard to say if IMSA's moves are justified though. I'm not sure.

Autocon qualified ahead of all the LMPCs. That's progress, but they are still way off the pace of the coupes. It is interesting that the starting grid is in perfect order on the basis of class.
Yes, but I find it funny when people (including Lola themselves) criticise the SRO ect for BoP yet in reality IMSA and to a lesser extent the ACO are doing it just as bad if not worse, but they seem to have no problem with it at all.
Old 5 Aug 2011, 19:50 (Ref:2936281)   #87
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yes, but I find it funny when people (including Lola themselves) criticise the SRO ect for BoP yet in reality IMSA and to a lesser extent the ACO are doing it just as bad if not worse, but they seem to have no problem with it at all.
The Dysons, and Cytosport to a lesser degree, have been fed restrictor breaks like it is an all you can eat buffet. I believe Dyson has received a break after every race this year except the one they won at Lime Rock.

Still, I'm not quite sure why IMSA is doing this. Ok, aside from the obvious reason of smoothing the competition, I do wonder if maybe the ACO regulations are bad in regard to small turbo engines. AFAIK, the AERs are the only non-diesel turbo LMP1 engines that have run this year. Certainly they are the only isobutanol burners and the MZR-R is the only small LMP1 engine.

Maybe the ACO got things wrong and IMSA is trying to correct a technical wrong. Either that or they are just up to SROish tactics. Let's face it, they've done that before. And, as you say, people do tend to look the other way. It is kind of why I respect the LMS a little more than the ALMS, but on the other hand, it's hard to say what exactly is going on in this particular case.
Old 5 Aug 2011, 19:56 (Ref:2936283)   #88
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I sure loved that FIA GT comment on last year's Lola Forum, entertaining stuff

In fact IMSA is handling the GT2 BoP far better than LMP side of things at the moment, IMO
Old 5 Aug 2011, 19:56 (Ref:2936284)   #89
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
Quote:
The Dysons, and Cytosport to a lesser degree, have been fed restrictor breaks like it is an all you can eat buffet. I believe Dyson has received a break after every race this year except the one they won at Lime Rock.

Still, I'm not quite sure why IMSA is doing this. Ok, aside from the obvious reason of smoothing the competition, I do wonder if maybe the ACO regulations are bad in regard to small turbo engines. AFAIK, the AERs are the only non-diesel turbo LMP1 engines that have run this year. Certainly they are the only isobutanol burners and the MZR-R is the only small LMP1 engine.

Maybe the ACO got things wrong and IMSA is trying to correct a technical wrong. Either that or they are just up to SROish tactics. Let's face it, they've done that before. And, as you say, people do tend to look the other way. It is kind of why I respect the LMS a little more than the ALMS, but on the other hand, it's hard to say what exactly is going on in this particular case.
I agree, restrictor breaks? I dont have that much of a problem. A large weight advantage? I do have a problem with this, but then again nothing to make me angry. Both combined? Just stupid and unprofessional.

Bet you if Dyson put Steven Kane with Guy and hired a real pit crew, Dyson and Cytosport would be even everywhere, without the weight advantage.
Old 5 Aug 2011, 20:04 (Ref:2936290)   #90
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
Bet you if Dyson put Steven Kane with Guy and hired a real pit crew, Dyson and Cytosport would be even everywhere, without the weight advantage.
There is something to be said about that. Chris Dyson has upped his game from years past I think, but he is still a ways off from Kane and Guy's pace.

I also wonder how much Dyson is tuning down their engines for the sake of reliability. I wonder if that is showing up on the data logger, but I guess it would if the numbers are quite different for qualifying than for the race. Perhaps the performance adjustments are made on the basis of the Aston engine being pushed fairly hard versus a very conservative setup for Dyson? Obviously, it's hard to say.
Old 5 Aug 2011, 20:04 (Ref:2936292)   #91
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Good stuff for Dyson, regardless of what they have been "given". Good to see them sitting on the pole. Let's see how they manage on the tight course for 2:45.

Really surprised to see the 56 up front...

At least both Jags are running consistent times, right behind a Ford.

Has Jon Field hit anything yet?
Old 5 Aug 2011, 20:39 (Ref:2936303)   #92
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
EDIT: Having said that, there were some issues about the Dyson cars not being able to run at full weight or something. I am forgetting the details now and I don't know if that is still relevant with the work Dyson has been doing to their chassis since the Le Mans break.
My understanding was the same as yours. The old Dyson chassis couldn't handle the extra weight to make it 900kg because of suspension issues. But now they have the P1 suspension package (I think) so they should be able to run at 900kg.
Old 5 Aug 2011, 20:44 (Ref:2936306)   #93
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
My understanding was the same as yours. The old Dyson chassis couldn't handle the extra weight to make it 900kg because of suspension issues. But now they have the P1 suspension package (I think) so they should be able to run at 900kg.
Yes, but dont expect that to actually happen. In fact, you should probably expect more restrictor breaks for Dyson if they lose to Cytosport again.
Old 6 Aug 2011, 03:29 (Ref:2936357)   #94
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Forza 4 ALMS car additions??
Im thinking this is the case too, perhaps the whole field and tracks.

A stand alone game would be awesome but I just cant see it happening.
Old 6 Aug 2011, 11:27 (Ref:2936414)   #95
Deleted
Veteran

Olly's thoughts after Q

BMW's been sandbagging, orly...
Old 6 Aug 2011, 11:37 (Ref:2936416)   #96
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
arakis has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Olly's thoughts after Q

BMW's been sandbagging, orly...
well that was kind of obvius, like i said it will only be fair when they have 28.6 mm restrictors like everyone else in the class. Also P. Long said as much before the start of quali.

BTW are there any weather updates for the race?
To launch a new FIA GT2 category based on strict technical rules, with limited wavers and ‘balance of performance' limited to success ballast. A category where GT manufacturers will prove through competition they can produce the best road going GT car.
Old 6 Aug 2011, 12:19 (Ref:2936424)   #97
Deleted
Veteran

Here are some of the current restrictor percentages posted on other forum.

Jaguar = 4,7% larger than baseline restrictor (29,5->30,9)
Ford = 4,3% larger than baseline restrictor (28,1->29,3)
Corvette = 3,2% larger than baseline restrictor (27,9->28,8)
BMW = 2,8% larger than baseline restrictor (28,6->29,4)
Porsche = 1% larger than baseline restrictor (28.6->28,9) + 10kg weight break
Ferrari = 0% larger than baseline restrictor (28,6)

Former restrictor for BMW was 4,2% bigger than the base.
Old 6 Aug 2011, 13:27 (Ref:2936431)   #98
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
arakis has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Here are some of the current restrictor percentages posted on other forum.

Jaguar = 4,7% larger than baseline restrictor (29,5->30,9)
Ford = 4,3% larger than baseline restrictor (28,1->29,3)
Corvette = 3,2% larger than baseline restrictor (27,9->28,8)
BMW = 2,8% larger than baseline restrictor (28,6->29,4)
Porsche = 1% larger than baseline restrictor (28.6->28,9) + 10kg weight break
Ferrari = 0% larger than baseline restrictor (28,6)

Former restrictor for BMW was 4,2% bigger than the base.
the corvettes dont have a restrictor break, but rather a folotrough from last and previus years rules witch state that engines with 2 vavles get a break, I think they hame 0.1mm less then last year.

as for JAG and Ford, they are simply rediculus, and should not be even considered among works cars like Ferrari Porsche BMW and Vette.

so if we look ate hte works teams, and with the knowlige that vettes dont have a hp addvantige, ithe picture becomes clearrer

Ferrari 0%
Porsche 1%
Corvette 0%
BMW formaly 4.2% now 2.8 % still the leader of the pack.

and I find i down right insulting how BMW drivers suposidly dont understend why they got their restrictor break pulled, statment like, we werent even have the fastest car, ours wasnt the highest top speed, and then they come here and take qualy 1-2, with 0.4mm less, come on if it happend to any other team they would have been half a second slower, but now BMW misteriusly stayed just above the rest, just like they did from the beging of the season
To launch a new FIA GT2 category based on strict technical rules, with limited wavers and ‘balance of performance' limited to success ballast. A category where GT manufacturers will prove through competition they can produce the best road going GT car.
Old 6 Aug 2011, 14:05 (Ref:2936437)   #99
Deleted
Veteran

Agreed on all accounts

As for the weather well the morning warm-up times suggests that the track has been rather dry, but of course it could all change come race window - some sources still saying 60-70% chance of rain. P2 practice for Indys at the track atm
Old 6 Aug 2011, 15:55 (Ref:2936464)   #100
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've got a simple question, the differences in base restrictors between engines has to do with engine capacity correct? And does direct injection change that at all?