Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Jan 2003, 08:00 (Ref:472762)   #1
jiminee
Racer

jiminee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New teams?

Well it looks like a number of the privateer teams are in trouble (Jordan, Minardi etc) so other than allowing the big 4 (Ferrari Williams McLaren and Renault) 3 or 4 cars each is there a possiblitly of a new team or 2 coming from somewhere else?
VW arent interested so that pretty much leaves GM as the only manufacturer not currently involved and I doubt they are interested, so is there any possiblity of seeing anybody new?
Also if Honda, Ford and Toyota arent successful soon how long will they hang around?
Is this just a periodic lull in grid sizes or something more permanent?
Interested in other peoples opinions.
Jiminee
Old 13 Jan 2003, 08:46 (Ref:472781)   #2
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Very unlikely to ever see any new teams enter F1 again.Odds are there will be some sort of merger between F1 and CART in the future to increase the gene pool and the racing quality.
Old 13 Jan 2003, 09:14 (Ref:472795)   #3
ParkLife
Racer

ParkLife should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No offence to the CART teams but they are nowhere near the calibre of Formula 1 teams right now. The F1 teams would destroy them!
Old 13 Jan 2003, 09:28 (Ref:472811)   #4
Armco Bender
Veteran

New Zealand
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Not if all teams run a standard engine and one make chassis.
Old 13 Jan 2003, 11:40 (Ref:472871)   #5
ParkLife
Racer

Standard engine and one make chassis? What would be the point of that?

I don't really follow F1 to see driver V driver any more. It's to see team V team.

Standard ECU's are one thing, Standard cars are something completely different. IMO it's the manufacturers that are causing the problem. They should only be allowed to supply engines IMO. All teams should do the cars completely independantly and shouldn't be allowed to take Manufacturer money either.
Old 13 Jan 2003, 12:13 (Ref:472893)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Private teams can't hope to rival major manufacturers in an open championship. Mercedes adn BMW now own large chunks of their teams, and once Frank and Ron retire will probably take total control.

As for getting the manufacturers out, I'm nto sure how feasible that is. Toyota, Renault, Jaguar and even Ferrari would all be gone, making for thin grids untiol new tewams could enter, adn they'd be well behind even the likes of BAR until they can ge tused to the formula. Also, BMW and Mercedes would have to sell their shares, and surely that would have to be to new outside investors (Ron and Frank anre unlikely to have the money spare). EU laws would eb violated too. Sadly, I think we're stuck with F1 as it is now.

Fortunately for those of us who care mroe about the drivers, there is plenty of talent out there, and a lot of it is getting to the top. The exciting, flair-packed driving of Montoya coupled with the precision of Raikkonen could mean a bright, if corporate, future.
Old 13 Jan 2003, 12:18 (Ref:472898)   #7
Maxmil
Veteran

United States
New England, USA
Maxmil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by ParkLife
Standard engine and one make chassis? What would be the point of that?
It's affordable!

What F1 is in the process of demonstrating is that the barely controlled - by the FIA - pursuit of automotive technology via racing is sinply too expensive for all but a very few extremely well backed teams. Even that system is prone to periods when one team is able to dominate the group through a combination of factors. When this happens the audience which wants to see close racing and finishes starts to lose interest.
Old 13 Jan 2003, 13:01 (Ref:472959)   #8
z2252314
Racer

z2252314 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
BMW now own large chunks of their teams
Yeh? this is news to me.

Quote:
Very unlikely to ever see any new teams enter F1 again.
I disagree. You have to remember that companies are going through some rough times at the moment. The economy is slow, and pouring billions into R&D for an F1 campaign is difficult at the moment. Wait a couple of years when the cycle changes and you'll see a couple more teams enter the show. It would also help if the manufacturers start getting a bit more of the TV money. I think at the moment all the teams combined only get about 50% of all the tv money

Last edited by z2252314; 13 Jan 2003 at 13:03.
Old 13 Jan 2003, 13:07 (Ref:472965)   #9
racingdick
Veteran

racingdick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if the drivers were willing to knock the odd milion off the salery then a lot of problems would be solved.. modern day drivers are getting too greedy!!!!
if they all followed irvines exmaple and willing to accept a pay drop then surely they all can.
Old 13 Jan 2003, 13:37 (Ref:472993)   #10
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
And EI's willingness to take a pay cut got him exactly where? As a % of the overall budget, the driver's salary would have minimal impact. I suspect at the privateer teams the sponsorship the driver brings most likely covers their salary.

The overall cost are astronomical and completely out of proportion. CART and F1 both race at Montreal. Lap times were about 8 seconds (average) faster for F1 - and yes, I know it is a different formula and each team is a constructor but a CART team's budget for the season is about $6 million. Ferrari, Williams and McLaren are all over $150 million. Even Minardi spends $50 million (or close to it). That is just insane.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 13 Jan 2003, 18:05 (Ref:473268)   #11
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What will happen is that the Major Manufacturers will withdraw one by one until we have one Manufacturer, probably Ferrari dominating a field of minnows who are struggling to survive. The Fromula will be nearly defunct and new rules will be written to control costs and promote the use of one or two engines. I believe that the tradition of race car manufacturers proving unique chassis is strong enough to persist into the next phase, but technology will have to be dialed back to promote the rise of new chassis manufacturers ala the '60's and '70's.
Old 13 Jan 2003, 19:07 (Ref:473333)   #12
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Armco Bender
Not if all teams run a standard engine and one make chassis.
Then it wouldn't be F1, it would be closer to <yawn> CART or <eek> NASCAR. IF the day comes that all teams run the same engine and chassis, that will be the day I stop watching F1.
Old 14 Jan 2003, 02:45 (Ref:473562)   #13
GTV27
Veteran

GTV27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New Teams would be more feasible if the rules allows current teams to sell spare/redundant chassis - this would provide a sizeable saving for the midfield teams and is only an extension of Ferarri selling their engine, gearbox and rear suspension to Sauber.

I don't think that we should blame major manufacturers for getting involved (and I certainly don't think they should be banned from owning teams).
Old 14 Jan 2003, 03:28 (Ref:473572)   #14
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't see any new teams until the rules are changed to allow the existence of smaller teams. The rules at the moment are specifically designed to increase manufactuer interest while slowly forcing out all the privateer teams who do not have manufacturer backing.
Old 14 Jan 2003, 03:42 (Ref:473579)   #15
Armco Bender
Veteran

New Zealand
Quote:
Then it wouldn't be F1, it would be closer to <yawn> CART

Haven't you ever watched a CART race?,cars actually overtake each other,they have multiple leaders in a race,different guys win races,heck its nearly exciting.

F1,a red car leads,some others parade round behind it until the red cars contrive who will win,then the race stops.
Old 14 Jan 2003, 04:12 (Ref:473589)   #16
allen_overy
Racer

allen_overy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GM is definitely a manufacturer left behind not to have entered F1 but as a manufacturer it will only enter F1 when it finds that F1 can boost its car sales. Since its current major market is in the States and is reasonably successful i do not see it entering F1 unless it wants to expand its market share in Europe where F1 is now staged mostly, and Asia possibly.

By virtue of F1's nature as a global advertising platform, companies will only invest in F1 if they find that it serves the market that it seeks to expand its market, whether as a sponsor/engine supplier. A recent example is Red Bull in which it would like to promote the US market leading to rumours of its desire of buying up a team. I would throw up a question? could anyone suggest companies that would like to expand its market share globally and with the resources to place on such a large-scale and long term marketing campaign?

As to the issue of manufacturers, this depends on their objectives and how they present their F1 campaigns. If they want to promote that their cars are reliable, they should focus on their F1 cars' reliability and shout loud about it. If they want to promote their cars' speed, they should focus on the engine's top speed, rpm, etc. There is only 1 champion in each formula and comapnies should thus shape their marketing strategies in order to reap the most benefits. Not being the first overall can still aid the company in their primary objective of entering F1: upping car sales.
Old 14 Jan 2003, 09:55 (Ref:473728)   #17
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
There was a rumour at Indy that an all-American team was in the offing (maybe even for 03- well that was never going to happen), lead by Phil Hill and Dan Guerney.

Heard nothing since though!
Old 14 Jan 2003, 11:00 (Ref:473760)   #18
ParkLife
Racer

And neither had Phil Hill at the time either!
Old 14 Jan 2003, 13:23 (Ref:473876)   #19
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

Haven't you ever watched a CART race?,cars actually overtake each other,they have multiple leaders in a race,different guys win races,heck its nearly exciting.

F1,a red car leads,some others parade round behind it until the red cars contrive who will win,then the race stops.
Lots of passing yes, but "manufactured" excitement. Full course yellows - hahahahaha!!! Ovals?? Hahaha...
Old 14 Jan 2003, 13:40 (Ref:473883)   #20
woodbine
Veteran

Australia
Peterborough
woodbine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Lots of passing yes, but "manufactured" excitement. Full course yellows - hahahahaha!!! Ovals?? Hahaha...
Full course yellow - thats when the safety car is out isn't it and we don't them in F1 do we?

I say let teams sell their cars to other teams. In years past, and other formulae, you would see people running privateer cars against the factory versions. Basically we need to do something to help the smaller teams out.

Manufacturer involvement is just about at its peak now, GM and VW are about the only major players not yet involved in F1. Industry analysts expect more car companies to merge in the next few years and if say Renault buy Honda are they going to want to fund 2 F1 teams?
Old 14 Jan 2003, 14:07 (Ref:473910)   #21
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Yes we have them in F1, but if you're trying to say its the same thing, then I disagree strongly. Gees, even the boss of CART says its a "farm series" for F1.

In any case, a series with all the cars identical is b-o-r-i-n-g.
Old 14 Jan 2003, 14:59 (Ref:473950)   #22
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
From a technical standpoint I would agree, Inigo, but that is where the treat of comparing and contrasting driving styles comes in!

Personally I would have no problem watching a hard-fought FFord race or a hard-fought F1 race. Close competition is always entertaining.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 14 Jan 2003, 15:02 (Ref:473954)   #23
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
You guys have a point about it being interesting to see drivers in equal machinery - for sure. Being a mechanical engineer myself, I guess I am coming from the technical angle a little too much.
Old 14 Jan 2003, 15:08 (Ref:473960)   #24
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, to cut back costs effectively, the FIA needs to base F1 in a single country, and all people involved with the teams have to declare their money through said countries accounting laws.

Until then, it's impossible to track stuff and no matter what tech regulation you right (short of componant sharing) you're gonna have people with stupid budgets courtesy of TV exposure. Very soon I believe it will be RIP F1, to be replaced by Formula Corporation. Yay. I can't wait.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 14 Jan 2003, 15:11 (Ref:473963)   #25
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Inigo Montoya

In any case, a series with all the cars identical is b-o-r-i-n-g.
I disagree that CART is boring, but then the idea of CART (a one make series) is not what F1 is about.

As an aside, most CART races see alot of overtaking, when they raced at Canada for the first time ever this year, it was proberbly the most boring CART race of the year, and incidently the only track they share with F1. To make F1 more exciting, i suggest that (for starters), we replace Indianapolis with Cleveland , that track always provides awesome racing.

Quote:

Thats how it is at the moment, but it won't last forever