Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

View Poll Results: Pick the champions!
Audi Sport Team Joest 79 50.32%
Toyota Racing 42 26.75%
Porsche 31 19.75%
Rebellion Racing 2 1.27%
OAK Racing 1 0.64%
The other guys... 2 1.27%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12 Jun 2014, 18:48 (Ref:3419456)   #1051
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I am all for the series racing on whatever track can afford it---like F1, the series is a business and a lot of new economies (or controlled economies) can spend money that established and more fiscally conservative economies cannot.

If WEC needs Abu Dhabi or India or even Russia on the schedule to make a buck, better that than the series going out of business.

And yes, the whole paywall deal was and remains screwed up and baly managed, but the rest of the series seems pretty good. I am not a fan nopr a hater of Gerard Neveu---but I am a really big fan of WEC, so to some degree I guess I support most of his efforts.
Old 12 Jun 2014, 19:29 (Ref:3419503)   #1052
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Racing when practically no other series races is a huge plus, but the problem is that because the one race is bigger than series itself, it would diminish winning the championship especially if the winners happen to be different ones than the LM winners.
Old 12 Jun 2014, 19:41 (Ref:3419519)   #1053
Pandemonium
Racer

Pandemonium has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I insist in that Le Mans for me is nothing more than a normal round. And there might be more people thinking like me. And I think it is the right mentallity anyway.
Old 12 Jun 2014, 20:19 (Ref:3419571)   #1054
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well ... Le Mans is Le Mans. It predated WEC and will last much longer. It might be just another round, but it is not just another race.

ALMS for almost its entire life ended the season wit Petit Le Mans and the PLM winner wasn't always the series winner, and life went on. In fact, every series has a final race on the schedule, and there is never a guarantee that the series winners will also win the last race---if there was, it wouldn't be a race.

Further, sometimes the series championship is decided before the final round.

One benefit to Le Mans ending the season is that since it is worth more points it could potentially keep the championship undecided until the checkered flag.

In any case, so long as they race, what does it matter to fans if the season nominally starts in December or may or whenever? Le Mans will still be in the middle of June, the other races will still be whenever local weather conditions permit, and fans will still attend or tune in regardless.
Old 12 Jun 2014, 22:32 (Ref:3419679)   #1055
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemonium View Post
I insist in that Le Mans for me is nothing more than a normal round. And there might be more people thinking like me. And I think it is the right mentallity anyway.
Your trolling is very annoying.
Old 12 Jun 2014, 22:39 (Ref:3419681)   #1056
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Old 12 Jun 2014, 22:44 (Ref:3419682)   #1057
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
ALMS for almost its entire life ended the season wit Petit Le Mans and the PLM winner wasn't always the series winner, and life went on.
Not really comparable, was PLM even the biggest race of ALMS? (Sebring) For sure there is greater difference in interest/attention between LM and regular WEC race than there was between PLM and regular ALMS race. Much more similar situation would be if Indy 500 was the last race of IndyCar.
Old 12 Jun 2014, 22:55 (Ref:3419685)   #1058
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Uh, what?
Old 13 Jun 2014, 01:54 (Ref:3419718)   #1059
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
ALMS for almost its entire life ended the season wit Petit Le Mans and the PLM winner wasn't always the series winner, and life went on. In fact, every series has a final race on the schedule, and there is never a guarantee that the series winners will also win the last race---if there was, it wouldn't be a race.
Comparing Petit Le Mans to Le Mans does not work. Le Mans is the biggest sports car race of the year. I can easily argue that the ALMS championship was more important than winning Petit Le Mans.

I have said it before and I'll say it again. If the ACO, FIA, and everyone involved want the WEC to grow in popularity, it has to be able to stand on its own. The WEC championship has to be recognized as a legit achievement. That idea will be hampered if Le Mans becomes the finale. In that case, the WEC will always be in Le Mans' shadow. And the winner of the WEC will always be in the shadow of the Le Mans winner.

Quote:
Further, sometimes the series championship is decided before the final round.

One benefit to Le Mans ending the season is that since it is worth more points it could potentially keep the championship undecided until the checkered flag.
Besides LMP1, the other classes have been fairly competitive and gone to the final race to decide a champion. With more manufacturers entering the WEC, even the P1 championship will become competitive.
Old 13 Jun 2014, 07:17 (Ref:3419772)   #1060
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Agreed. Having Le Mans be the last race is such a conflict of interest. I don't understand what all the fuss is about. All the race dates are will the same. So why change the wording and make Le Mans the "last race" when there is clearly a negative effect.

In my opinion, they are undermining the credibility of the championship by going this route.
Old 13 Jun 2014, 09:45 (Ref:3419836)   #1061
naca
Racer

naca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't indycar try something similar to this in their early seasons and it ended up turning into a complete disaster (then again one could say that about the entire CART/INDYCAR debacle).
Old 13 Jun 2014, 20:07 (Ref:3420056)   #1062
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/d...mpaign=ongoing
Darren Turner really seems to be against the slow zones in his latest interview. He says that they work okay in the daylight, but at night when people can't see each other/people are blinded by headlights, the whole thing falls apart.
Old 13 Jun 2014, 21:15 (Ref:3420088)   #1063
Pandemonium
Racer

What this championship needs right now:
-Make La Sarthe a private track. Close the mulsanne straight for public traffic and make everything very safe and "runoffy". I don´t know how hard it could be but I´m sure you can put the public road somewhere else.
-Fuel efficiency is cool, hybrid power is cool, electric power is cool, we need to save the planet yes...but things that aren´t needed you can restore back to their glory days... For example give the LMP1´s wider tires and more power. Don´t do stupid things lkek not alowing flexible materials!!!! what is the point in that!!! Engineers want to be able to experiment and innovate and so do mannufacturers.
-Put people with tons of brain in directive staff. They will make smart ideas.
-Listen to the fans 100% . Don´t make the same mistakes as F1 did.
Old 14 Jun 2014, 06:00 (Ref:3420205)   #1064
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
What this championship needs right now:
-Make La Sarthe a private track.
sometimes I really think you're trolling, can't decide.
Old 14 Jun 2014, 06:37 (Ref:3420209)   #1065
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
-Listen to the fans 100% . Don´t make the same mistakes as F1 did.
Seems to be doing pretty well for a failing championship.
Old 14 Jun 2014, 10:07 (Ref:3420253)   #1066
Pandemonium
Racer

Even Bernie recognized that he didn´t enjoy the new F1´s. As for making La Sarthe a private track. It would truly be the best. You can have tire barriers and etc all along mulsanne.
Old 14 Jun 2014, 10:44 (Ref:3420263)   #1067
Pontlieue
Racer

Pontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Even Bernie recognized that he didn´t enjoy the new F1´s. As for making La Sarthe a private track. It would truly be the best. You can have tire barriers and etc all along mulsanne.
Have you ever noticed that no track is using tire barriers on straights? Tyre barriers are good in corners to absorb the force of the impact. On a straight, impacts are usually in a very flat angle, so tire barriers wouldn't be helpful there.
Old 14 Jun 2014, 10:48 (Ref:3420264)   #1068
deggis
Veteran

Finland
What was the announcement exactly about? I missed it but on the Dailymotion feed they were talking about continued extension of WEC.
Old 14 Jun 2014, 10:59 (Ref:3420270)   #1069
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
3 year extension of the agreement between FIA and ACO over running of the FIA ACO

http://www.dailysportscar.com/?p=32938
Old 15 Jun 2014, 07:49 (Ref:3421633)   #1070
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin View Post
3 year extension of the agreement between FIA and ACO over running of the FIA ACO

http://www.dailysportscar.com/?p=32938
Why do they have to extend the WEC up to three years when they work together indefinitely?
Old 15 Jun 2014, 08:25 (Ref:3421666)   #1071
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Basic good business practice - sign contracts between parties foe a sensible amount of time to ensure that a business plan works rather than tying yourselves in to something that you find yourself unable to directly influence if things go wrong.
Old 15 Jun 2014, 08:32 (Ref:3421673)   #1072
carbon_titanium
Veteran

carbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcarbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
beyond that, ACO needs FIA approvation to be WEC recognized as world championship, otherwise it would be only a "series" like ILMC without any driver/manufacturer world cup.
Old 15 Jun 2014, 13:36 (Ref:3422031)   #1073
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Right now, I'd really like an European summer round.
Old 15 Jun 2014, 14:36 (Ref:3422058)   #1074
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
JoestForEver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
What was the announcement exactly about? I missed it but on the Dailymotion feed they were talking about continued extension of WEC.
In the post race tech talk Paul Trustwell mentioned about that. It was supposed to be Frazer Nash's G56 project but the project went bust before the announcement. As a result, no Garage 56 for Le Mans 2015, for now.
Old 15 Jun 2014, 15:04 (Ref:3422060)   #1075
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If no garage 56 entrant with a new/alternative tech, will they just use it for a lmp1/2/gte car?