Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Jun 2002, 04:29 (Ref:319349)   #1
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Best Overtaking Move You've Ever Seen

We've got a thread about moves since 2000, but frankly those passes are pale in comparison to some of the moves I've seen over the years.

Both my personal favourites involve one driver - Nigel Mansell.

The first one is his dummy move on Nelson Piquet at Silverstone in 1987 when he came back from 22 seconds behind.

The second is his move on the OUTSIDE of Gerhard Berger at the Peralta in Mexico in 1990 - one of the bravest moves I have ever witnessed.
Old 23 Jun 2002, 04:52 (Ref:319363)   #2
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Jacques Villeneuve overtaking M. Schu from outside the Parabolica - Portugal 1996

Fortunately, I was at the grandstand at Estoril on far left side and had a clear view of the whole manouvere. Brilliant.
Old 23 Jun 2002, 05:01 (Ref:319366)   #3
PoweredByHonda
Racer

PoweredByHonda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I must agree with you Freud.. That move was simply fantastic, considering Patrick Head and all the Williams engineers told JV that there's no way he could do it.

I think Schumacher's been scared of Villeneuve ever since that day, Jacques showed us what his father had... Superb car control, gutz, and confidence...

I suppose those days are over Jacques... 19th at the 'ring, full second behind Panis... "where did it all go wrong?"

Last edited by PoweredByHonda; 23 Jun 2002 at 05:02.
Old 23 Jun 2002, 05:20 (Ref:319369)   #4
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Greg Moore passing Alex Zanardi for the win of Rio in 1998(I think).

As for F1. Please understand that I've only started watching since 1995 or so... I'm sure there were some much better moves in the 70s and 80s. I guess I'd have to agree on it being JV's move on TGF at Estoril in 96.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 23 Jun 2002, 08:01 (Ref:319413)   #5
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mansell /Piquet 1987 at Silverstone , chased him and caught him and sold him a dummy right at the end . That was a great overtaking move.
Old 23 Jun 2002, 08:21 (Ref:319421)   #6
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay
Greg Moore passing Alex Zanardi for the win of Rio in 1998(I think).
You're kidding Jay. The only reason Greg got a chance to pass Alex was because that useless German Arnd Meier held him up and ended up accidentally blocking him. It was brilliant driving from both of them to not hit Meier or end up in the wall. Greg merely took the opportunity that presented itself.

Got to be Zanardi on Herta at Laguna Seca for sheer balls. At the top of the corkscrew, on the last lap for the win.

In F1, I'm not sure. Big fan of JV in Portugal though.
Old 23 Jun 2002, 08:26 (Ref:319426)   #7
Jack racer
Racer

Jack racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tagliani has done some ballsy moves over the years.
Old 23 Jun 2002, 08:40 (Ref:319432)   #8
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by mac
Got to be Zanardi on Herta at Laguna Seca for sheer balls. At the top of the corkscrew, on the last lap for the win.
That was a brilliant move mac Zanardi was brilliant to watch when he was on a mission.
Old 23 Jun 2002, 08:45 (Ref:319436)   #9
kwd
Racer

kwd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gilles Villeneuve/Rene Arnoux/French Grand Prix/nothing more to be said
Old 23 Jun 2002, 10:01 (Ref:319457)   #10
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Zanardi's pass on Herta in the corkscrew at Laguna Seca, I agree. That's the best overtaking move I've ever seen, regardless of category.

In F1, hard to say. Several of Montoya's passes have been brilliant, Mika's pass on TGF at Spa in 2000, and I also remember TGF overtaking Alesi through a chicane somewhere (can't remember where or when, several years ago, 95 perhaps?), brilliant move. As a Villeneuve supporter, though, I'm inclined to agree on the pass in Portugal being the greatest. Like someone else once said: "He overtook the primadonna on the outside!" Yeah, that was a great one.

Quote:
Originally posted by PoweredByHonda
Patrick Head and all the Williams engineers told JV that there's no way he could do it.
That's what makes drivers such as Jacques, Montoya and Zanardi so great. They will do the moves that they are being told are impossible. Jacques was told that he couldn't take the 130-R at Suzuka flat either. But that was until he had done it... he came back and told them: "I told you it was flat!" That's the sort of attitude I like to see. That's the sort of attitude which makes a great driver.
Old 23 Jun 2002, 10:10 (Ref:319466)   #11
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Eddie on the outside of Mika and TGF at Suzuka 1997 in the twisty section.
Old 23 Jun 2002, 10:21 (Ref:319480)   #12
kwd
Racer

sorry was looking up the stats for a race,gotta go the pre race is on.

Last edited by kwd; 23 Jun 2002 at 10:31.
Old 23 Jun 2002, 10:32 (Ref:319488)   #13
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by kwd
Yes that was pretty mr-v on a lite fuel load and under team orders.
I suppose Mika being overtaken by Eddie, who went on the dirty side of the track was team orders, just like JV being overtaken by Eddie at the triangle later that same lap was also team orders?

Maybe JV overtaking TGF in a better car at Estoril was team orders too? Maybe the moderators can change the name of this topic to

Your Favourite overtaking manoeuvre that please's everyone else!
Old 23 Jun 2002, 10:37 (Ref:319493)   #14
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well actually Mr V, kwd was not too far of the truth. Eddie was on a light fuel load. And that was indeed the plan (i.e. tems instructions)! Actually I remember Eddie stating before that race that he would try to go past both of them and try to force Jacques to make a mistake. Besides, Michael helped him a little, he kinda closed the door on Mika. Nevertheless it was a great move!
Old 23 Jun 2002, 10:40 (Ref:319497)   #15
Mr V
Veteran

England
Agreed that it was the plan, but he pulled it off and thats what mattered, and yes it was a great move
Old 23 Jun 2002, 10:41 (Ref:319498)   #16
kwd
Racer

mr-v it was a team move the one I was talking about and I thought you were refering to, the overtaking of the williams by Eddie to help schu in the wdc fight in 97,it was a good move but if it wasnt the move you were talking about i apologize.
Old 23 Jun 2002, 11:11 (Ref:319507)   #17
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Eddie-Schumacher-Hakkinen move was propiciated because Schumacher slowed Mika a bit, it was all planned, not really a super pass...

Really, the Villeneuve-Arnoux battle in Dijon '79 has to be the best... passing in every damn corner of the track!

Also Gilles passing Alan Jones on the outside of the Tarzan corner in Zandvoort 79...
Old 23 Jun 2002, 11:21 (Ref:319510)   #18
Maxmil
Veteran

United States
New England, USA
Maxmil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mac
That's my vote too. An unbelievable move, he just straigtened out the curve. Looking at the tape in slow motion, there was no way it should have succeeded, and I do think Alex was lucky. An F1 car wouldn't have stood the beating.

For F1, Jacques on the outside at Portugal in 1996 gets my vote, but there are many others I've never seen.
Old 23 Jun 2002, 11:34 (Ref:319515)   #19
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Of course, Alex's moves were all great...

Let's look at some CART moves:

1. Zanardi on Herta, Laguna 96, of course!
then
-Zanardi on Herta, Long Beach 98.. not everyone passed on that corner
-Montoya on Franchitti, Long Beach 99, Juan controlling the slide on the braking was marvelous
-Andretti on Papis, Corkscrew 02, Has anyone else passed there since Zanardi?
-Montoya on Andretti, Elkhart Lake 99, JPM passed Andretti on the 1st corner of the race on the outside twice! as it was red flagged
Old 23 Jun 2002, 13:06 (Ref:319540)   #20
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm tempted to go with Zanardi or JV, but it's got to go to Gilles Villeneuve and Rene Arnoux for the closing laps of the '79 French Grand Prix. Some of the best overtaking moves ever forced into a few minutes of heart-stopping excitement!
Old 23 Jun 2002, 13:55 (Ref:319556)   #21
Kex
Veteran

England
The Palace of Dreams
Kex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mansell's move on Senna in the '89 Hungarian GP was quite good. As was the Silverstone '87 move on Piquet.

Another move that stands out in my mind is Senna passing Wendlinger on the first lap at Donington '93. In the wet, around the outside, through the Craner Curves.
Old 23 Jun 2002, 14:28 (Ref:319599)   #22
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kex

Another move that stands out in my mind is Senna passing Wendlinger on the first lap at Donington '93. In the wet, around the outside, through the Craner Curves.
Thats one of my personal favourites, I remember it well too as I was sitting there with the pair of them coming down the hill. Fantastic move and a great drive that day.

And I never knew that the Zanardi corkscrew move was on the last lap either! A fantastic move with an added bit of drama too!
Old 23 Jun 2002, 14:38 (Ref:319606)   #23
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mac
Yes, a pass that would have been illegal in any other series, and would have been illegal next year, and at most tracks would have led him to the wall.
Old 23 Jun 2002, 14:59 (Ref:319634)   #24
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mika's pass on MS and RZ at Spa 2000.
Old 23 Jun 2002, 16:02 (Ref:319707)   #25
kwd
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by mr v

I suppose Mika being overtaken by Eddie, who went on the dirty side of the track was team orders, just like JV being overtaken by Eddie at the triangle later that same lap was also team orders?

Maybe JV overtaking TGF in a better car at Estoril was team orders too? Maybe the moderators can change the name of this topic to

Your Favourite overtaking manoeuvre that please's everyone else!