Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 1 Oct 2005, 20:14 (Ref:1421781)   #76
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03
Slightly different story from Graham today. Although the farewell party for the R8 is at Laguna, he did say that the cars could continue to race in the ALMS next year. So in fact no change from previous speculation.

It was also interesting to hear Graham's opinion of the ALMS grids. The quality/standard of the teams/cars/drivers is way beyond what we have in LMES! Quote: 'There are no grid fillers here!!'

He also believes there could be four different marques racing in P1 in the ALMS next year, plus the R&S.
Sorry, give me an LMES race any day.

There may well be grid fillers, but they are usually very interesting cars, that are constantly improving, the Spyker and turbo 911 come to mind.

IMO, the LMES has teams in each class that can match the best of the ALMS, only GT2 is significantly down on the ALMS.

When Peugeot and Audi arrive everyone will have to up there game.

The problems with the ALMS were summed up in todays race.

One major incident and the race becomes a bore fest. No racing and few cars to admire.

Credit were its due, the ALMS has fantastic TV coverage and improving marketing.
Old 1 Oct 2005, 20:20 (Ref:1421786)   #77
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Bram
Yeah, i'm wondering why the ALMS is still bothering with Prototypes. 13 lmps at the start and after 3 hours all but 4 of them in the bottom half of the time table.
Doesn't help when half the field is taken out at the first corner.

GT1 has been a snooze fest for 80% of the season.

Aston only turned up at Sebring and PLM afterall.
Old 1 Oct 2005, 20:35 (Ref:1421795)   #78
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
For once JAG I agree with you 100% regarding your comments about the LMES V ALMS quality.
Old 1 Oct 2005, 20:38 (Ref:1421796)   #79
CorvetteC6R
Rookie

CorvetteC6R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"IMO, the LMES has teams in each class that can match the best of the ALMS, only GT2 is significantly down on the ALMS." What?! Look at the Lemans results..its gonna be the same next year...
Old 1 Oct 2005, 20:42 (Ref:1421798)   #80
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
Sorry, give me an LMES race any day.

There may well be grid fillers, but they are usually very interesting cars, that are constantly improving, the Spyker and turbo 911 come to mind.

IMO, the LMES has teams in each class that can match the best of the ALMS, only GT2 is significantly down on the ALMS.

When Peugeot and Audi arrive everyone will have to up there game.

The problems with the ALMS were summed up in todays race.

One major incident and the race becomes a bore fest. No racing and few cars to admire.

Credit were its due, the ALMS has fantastic TV coverage and improving marketing.
The last thing I want to do is get into an LMES vs ALMS, my series is better than your series etc. etc. exchange. They are both great series which I thoroughly enjoy following.

And I won't argue for one minute about the quality of the teams and drivers running in ALMS, but, like you, I love the size of the grids and the variety of marques we enjoy in LMES and of course at Le Mans itself.

The ALMS is in a very privileged position to enjoy a 30 car grid with no grid fillers. But the pre PLM anticipation and excitement surrounded Zytek crossing the pond to take on the might of Champion and Dyson. I, for one, lost interest within the first 5 minutes, having looked forward to the race for weeks! There are times when the quality vs quantity argument just doesn't wash!!

(But I am enjoying the GT1 battle.......)
Old 1 Oct 2005, 22:47 (Ref:1421830)   #81
FastJoel31
Veteran

United States
Near Watkins Glen
FastJoel31 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The last thing I want to do is get into an LMES vs ALMS, my series is better than your series etc. etc. exchange. They are both great series which I thoroughly enjoy following.

And I won't argue for one minute about the quality of the teams and drivers running in ALMS, but, like you, I love the size of the grids and the variety of marques we enjoy in LMES and of course at Le Mans itself.

The ALMS is in a very privileged position to enjoy a 30 car grid with no grid fillers. But the pre PLM anticipation and excitement surrounded Zytek crossing the pond to take on the might of Champion and Dyson. I, for one, lost interest within the first 5 minutes, having looked forward to the race for weeks! There are times when the quality vs quantity argument just doesn't wash!!

(But I am enjoying the GT1 battle.......)

Agreed. The two series aren't even competing with eachother...there is no use arguing over it. I'll take what I can get.
Old 1 Oct 2005, 23:16 (Ref:1421839)   #82
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZytekWorker
Having watched the incident on Motors tv, I don't think I should comment on what I think of JJ Lehto. Taken me this long to calm down and stop myself shouting at the TV!!! Hmph.
I haven't seen it on the TV, but I'm inclined to say that in fact your man Shimoda may have been the antagonist in the incident. Weaver and Lehto both mentioned Shimoda slowed excessively, and Weaver was basically impartial with regards to the incident. Weaver mentioned that Shimoda then turned in on him, bumped him and rebounded into JJ. Why James was balling up the inside with no brakes is something else entirely!

Shimoda may be quick, but he still has a lot to learn. So does Chilton, starting with when not to run his mouth.
Old 1 Oct 2005, 23:38 (Ref:1421842)   #83
I love 04s
Racer

United Kingdom
I love 04s has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Hayanari said something along the lines of this after he got out of the car.

Firstly that he saw Weaver coming up the inside of him after a very good start and so he moved over to the middle line. Weaver then moved across a little meaning that he hit Hayanari. Due to this Hayanari moved over as he went into the first corner but then found Lehto outside him (he never saw him before).

He then became literally sandwiched between the two - there are tire marks from the Audi and Dyson up each side of the car, meaning that he couldn't steer at all, therefore he hit the brakes - early for the corner to try and get out of the situation. Becuase of this Lehto moved forwards up the side of the Zytek, taking off the front corner and subsequently spinning himself into the wall.

Finally he said that it all happened so quickly that really there is noone to blame - "these things happen". I guess it will have to go done as a racing accident.

PS. I have to agree with you about Chilton though!

PPS. Im pretty sure, although not 100% that Zytek will still go to Leguna, however i really would not be surprised if they started from the pit lane even if they get pole.
Old 2 Oct 2005, 00:17 (Ref:1421846)   #84
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The ALMS is in a very privileged position to enjoy a 30 car grid with no grid fillers.
No it isn't. It is desparately short of entrants. And it shows.
Old 2 Oct 2005, 01:05 (Ref:1421858)   #85
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I can definitely see it being a racing incident at the first corner. I certainly don't think that any one of the 3 drivers made what I'd consider a gross error, and that would fit with what we know about them.

Hayanari needs to watch some tapes though, much like a football team. Had he done that, he would've known JJ was out there. JJ loves going outside around T1 at Road Atlanta!
Old 2 Oct 2005, 01:19 (Ref:1421862)   #86
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybersdorf
No it isn't. It is desparately short of entrants. And it shows.

Agree 100%.

It is rather discouraging that a small European team has snapped up the PCM C5-R , rather than a US team.
Old 2 Oct 2005, 02:09 (Ref:1421871)   #87
19dodge
Veteran

19dodge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We hope you enjoyed our hourly reports.

Some quick potos from the end of the race from Ryan Cassidy:

Full Gallery Here:

http://www.the-paddock.net/index.php...egory&catid=64
Old 2 Oct 2005, 02:24 (Ref:1421873)   #88
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
Agree 100%.

It is rather discouraging that a small European team has snapped up the PCM C5-R , rather than a US team.
Indeed, and added to that it doesn't seem like any of the Aston's are going to be with a North American team, and GT1 looks desperate.

robert
Old 2 Oct 2005, 02:38 (Ref:1421875)   #89
CorvetteC6R
Rookie

CorvetteC6R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who would want to even waste the time buying the old chassis here? It would be silly for a team here to buy it...Not gonna win..In Europe sure you got a chance...
Old 2 Oct 2005, 08:02 (Ref:1421919)   #90
Bernard Bram
Racer

Bernard Bram has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
No grid fillers? Clearly the top of ALMS is the best in the world as the Le Mans 24h has shown, but who's there to challenge PM and Audi? Dyson? How many times did he have problems with his cars. As far as i understood ALMS radio it was the alternator again at the first pit stop. This happens to the MG Ex now for what, 152 years? Then you've got the majority of the protos half way down the grid after only 3 hours. That's grid fillers to me, imho.
Old 2 Oct 2005, 10:35 (Ref:1421953)   #91
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorvetteC6R
"IMO, the LMES has teams in each class that can match the best of the ALMS, only GT2 is significantly down on the ALMS." What?! Look at the Lemans results..its gonna be the same next year...
You really beleive that? I find it doubtful, particulary as the works Audi team will likely run in Europe in the LMES. LMP 2 may well be won by Penske but at the moment we dont know how good the car will be, RML will be right there IMO. Corvette will have a tough job to beat Aston Martin IMO who will likely run in FIA GT next year, LM really suits the DBR9's providing they can make them 100% reliable they have the speed. GT2 will be interesting at Le Mans next year too, if Gruppe M get a entry, they didnt this year and IMO if they had they would have started as favourites.
Old 2 Oct 2005, 10:41 (Ref:1421956)   #92
Splendid Cat
Racer

Splendid Cat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do you know Gruppe M plans for next year? Please, what are they - this is breaking news.
Old 2 Oct 2005, 11:44 (Ref:1421978)   #93
richmini99
Racer

United States
Turners Falls MA, USA
richmini99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
No grid fillers? Clearly the top of ALMS is the best in the world as the Le Mans 24h has shown, but who's there to challenge PM and Audi? Dyson? How many times did he have problems with his cars. As far as i understood ALMS radio it was the alternator again at the first pit stop. This happens to the MG Ex now for what, 152 years? Then you've got the majority of the protos half way down the grid after only 3 hours. That's grid fillers to me, imho.
I have to agree. I think Turn 1, Lap 1 is a perfect example of this. It wasn't that long ago that Petit used to be one of my favorite events . If I wasn't there in person, I'd at least dedicate a day to watching it on TV. Yes, The ALMS does have some quality teams, but there just aren't enough of them to hold my interest. What I've seen on the Speed TV's 1 hour LMES wrap-ups is far more compeling to me than the ALMS races I've seen (Limerock in person) this year.
I hope the comment about there being no AM sold to an ALMS team is wrong. IMHO GT1 is were we'll see the best racing next season. As of late the S7 and MC12 have made gains on the Vettes. a 2-car AM team would really be icing on the cake.
Old 2 Oct 2005, 13:31 (Ref:1422018)   #94
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmini99
I hope the comment about there being no AM sold to an ALMS team is wrong.
There has been no news at all about any NA teams buying an Aston that I know of. There were a couple of rumors, but the people mentioned in the rumor are mentioned in every rumor. Are all the Aston's that will be built accounted for?
Old 2 Oct 2005, 15:03 (Ref:1422050)   #95
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Are Prodrive still sticking to their statement that if no American teams buy a DBR9, then they'll take it into the ALMS themselves? Or was that broken up ages ago...?
Old 2 Oct 2005, 15:31 (Ref:1422073)   #96
mikmx
Racer

Netherlands
rotterdam
mikmx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The main attraction (in a negative sense) of this race for me was Mr Lehto. First the start and then not being patient and putting the Aston in the grass.. I don't like his arrogant driving style. Audi please put this man in DTM and let McNish drive the proto's suits both of them better.
Old 2 Oct 2005, 15:43 (Ref:1422076)   #97
JAG
Veteran

England
You have to wonder about the long term future of the ALMS if no US team comes in for an Aston, particuarly as over a dozen cars have been sold in total.
Old 2 Oct 2005, 15:47 (Ref:1422079)   #98
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorvetteC6R
Who would want to even waste the time buying the old chassis here? It would be silly for a team here to buy it...Not gonna win..In Europe sure you got a chance...
In Belgium sure you got a chance. Not in LMES - that's where all the good GTs are at the moment, remember...

I suppose this is why Team Corvette stays well away from the LMES; why try any harder if you can win easy
Old 2 Oct 2005, 17:28 (Ref:1422139)   #99
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewBob
Are Prodrive still sticking to their statement that if no American teams buy a DBR9, then they'll take it into the ALMS themselves? Or was that broken up ages ago...?
I sure hope so! GT1 at Petit did look pretty good, even if they got seperated by a lap, they all ran together for a while. Interesting that the #3 Corvette failed, a sign of a chink in the armor?
Old 3 Oct 2005, 00:58 (Ref:1422396)   #100
1969MGCGTdriver
Racer

United States
Orlando, FL, USA
1969MGCGTdriver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybersdorf
In Belgium sure you got a chance. Not in LMES - that's where all the good GTs are at the moment, remember...

I suppose this is why Team Corvette stays well away from the LMES; why try any harder if you can win easy

oh yes, beware the dreaded TVR!!! and the deadly Viper