Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 17 Mar 2008, 22:52 (Ref:2155172)   #1
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Healey Sprite Reg 8426 UE

Was at this fancy show in Amelia Island last week and someone showed up with superb 61 Healey Sprite .Special nose ,the lot.Chassis ST 450/S.
Do any of you 60's sports car experts know anything about car as I understand it was a works not Speedwell car when it ran at Sebring.I know nothing of these things but this car was a bit special.Spoke to owner about doing European races as if it is what its supposed to be,would do Woodgood and LMC.Only two similar works cars with other in bits after Le Mans crash
Await the thoughts of the experts.
Old 18 Mar 2008, 00:47 (Ref:2155236)   #2
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
"registered 1.3.61, ran in the 61 Sebring 12 hrs as a prototype with an alloy open sports body. May have been built on the chassis and inner body panels of a production car, or may have been built up on a chassis underframe supplied direct from John Thompson Motor pressings as was its predecessor 5983AC.
Returned to the Cape works it was fitted with an alloy coupe version of the Super Sprite bodywork and re-registered as 1411WD on 1.5.61 which then ran at Le Mans that year."
Quote from Spritely Years by John Sprinzel and Tom Coulthard. I can get in touch with Tom and ask for more info if needed. HTH.
Old 18 Mar 2008, 02:09 (Ref:2155276)   #3
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Am given to understand that car stayed in US after race and another car built that was lost at Le Mans.Having now followed up find that John Colgate and Geoff Healey suggested the owner get in touch with Roger Menadue who was cheif of Healey Experimental Shop.In a letter dated 1991 he confirms that the car certainly looks as the Sebring car but they then further perfected the design for Le Mans.He is does not say it was a different car but didn't say it was not!Why even in those days change the number when you can sell it to some American then take another one from the production line for Le Mans.Could have set a trend for comp cars that went into the eighties!Any real info would be more than welcome as the owner of 20 years purchased it from a store where he understood it had been since early 60's.Good puzzle and I would like to find the real story
Old 18 Mar 2008, 06:53 (Ref:2155338)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I could never prove it but based on timing at least one Sebring MGB appears to have been two cars. So I'm not surprised if the factory re-numbered another car.
Old 18 Mar 2008, 08:08 (Ref:2155354)   #5
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is quite some confusion over a few of the North American BMC "works" Cars.As Peter said,the Sebring "B"s,on,ocaision,have proven very difficult to prove of the continuous history,as the Sprite is from the same camp,who knows,it could be as it apperes,but then again-------
Old 18 Mar 2008, 08:12 (Ref:2155358)   #6
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
just to disclose my hand I think these little Sprites are fantastic - the first Goodwood Masters test day a few weeks ago there was one flying around sounding absolutely superb... sorry I know that doesn't help much in this particular case!
Old 18 Mar 2008, 08:30 (Ref:2155367)   #7
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
There is quite some confusion over a few of the North American BMC "works" Cars.As Peter said,the Sebring "B"s,on,ocaision,have proven very difficult to prove of the continuous history,as the Sprite is from the same camp,who knows,it could be as it apperes,but then again-------

It does have a Special Tuning Chassis Plate,and these days if you have that,it's assumed you have the rest.
Old 18 Mar 2008, 10:00 (Ref:2155445)   #8
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

The car was built at Warwick by Roger Menadue at the works.Having checked correspondence by Menadue seems it is a seperate car but are there any special featurers on chassis plate for eg worth investigating,All a bit attention to detail stuff for me but there has to be a first time and no I am not buying it and its not for sale.Its just looks good!
Old 18 Mar 2008, 15:03 (Ref:2155661)   #9
James Murray
Racer

James Murray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John

There might be something on www.sebringsprite.com.

James
Old 18 Mar 2008, 15:11 (Ref:2155665)   #10
James Murray
Racer

Check out the link below. This could well be the car your talking about.

http://www.sebringsprite.com/Roadster.htm

Simon I couldnt agree with you more, I think they are the business. Its such a shame they're uncompetitive for FIA Historic racing. If only the 1275 BMC engine came out in 1960.......
Old 18 Mar 2008, 15:16 (Ref:2155669)   #11
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Thats the one!Now is the Sprintzel book correct or why 40+ years ago did someone make the first continuation car.Is that correct chassis plate type Terry must know about these things
Old 18 Mar 2008, 15:32 (Ref:2155683)   #12
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Not really up to speed on the litluns John,but the chassis plate says what it should.
What a desirable little car.Bodylines are just right.

Last edited by terence; 18 Mar 2008 at 15:36.
Old 18 Mar 2008, 15:50 (Ref:2155694)   #13
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

So if thats the car it would be worth bring back to Europe? Still cant see the basis of the statement in Sprintzel book or could an incorrect assumption have been made as Chief Engineer says they made two.Much more money to be made selling one in States.Any other ideas?
Old 18 Mar 2008, 16:00 (Ref:2155704)   #14
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Absolutly,knowing the Yank type of History gathering,the cars records will probably be very precise [Hopefull] I must say that looking at the photos,it does look to be what it claims,there is a certain patiner about the surrounding paintwork to the chassis plate,although its unlikely that has never been off.
Old 18 Mar 2008, 16:08 (Ref:2155708)   #15
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Murray
John

There might be something on www.sebringsprite.com.

James
thanks - I have just lost 30 mins of the day looking at this website..... probably saved me a fortune given the current state of the markets ;o)
Old 18 Mar 2008, 16:25 (Ref:2155721)   #16
James Murray
Racer

Pleased to be of assistance. Sounds like the stock market is as bad as the housing market.........
Old 18 Mar 2008, 16:26 (Ref:2155723)   #17
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Would that fit ever so nicely into Masters under 2l Gent Drivers or whatever it is?
Old 18 Mar 2008, 16:28 (Ref:2155727)   #18
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Murray
Pleased to be of assistance. Sounds like the stock market is as bad as the housing market.........

THE american housing market caused it[in a roundabout way] Just be glad you have not bought anyone elses debts.
Old 18 Mar 2008, 16:30 (Ref:2155730)   #19
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Certainly would,got to be a class winner if nothing else,would like a session on the front suspension though!.
Old 18 Mar 2008, 16:36 (Ref:2155737)   #20
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Visiting owner next week and see if he wants to take car to Europe.Lets hope so and any more info would be appreciated.Never thought I would be interested in Healeys!
Old 18 Mar 2008, 16:48 (Ref:2155741)   #21
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston
Visiting owner next week and see if he wants to take car to Europe.Lets hope so and any more info would be appreciated.Never thought I would be interested in Healeys!

The Histories can be rather en-lightening John
Old 18 Mar 2008, 17:15 (Ref:2155758)   #22
simon drabble
Veteran

I hope that you convince him to play with it other here as I think that they are the nuts!
Old 18 Mar 2008, 18:26 (Ref:2155817)   #23
Jeremy Hall
Racer

Jeremy Hall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston
John please be advised and advise the owner that I do ACCUS HTP if required
Old 18 Mar 2008, 18:34 (Ref:2155820)   #24
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Thanks Jeremy,Will advise him and know it will be quicker in US.Notice that the Sebring Web Site said it was for sale.Asked the owner and he said he goes thru periods when he thinks he should sell as it is seldom used and the thought usually coincides with his sons motor cross engine blowing up
Old 19 Mar 2008, 08:55 (Ref:2156306)   #25
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I thought all MG's had 'heritage' these days