Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 29 Nov 2004, 15:23 (Ref:1167105)   #1
Tailwind
Veteran

United States
Mulvane, KS
Tailwind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alabama Road Course?

In this Robin Miller piece, a comment is made about the PKV test at the "New Road Course" in Alabama.

"Yes, I went into the test feeling like it was make or break and afterwards I knew I couldn't have done any better," said Dalziel after going head-to-head with F3000 star Bjorn Wirdheim at the new road course in Birmingham, Ala.

Does anyone know anything about this track? Is it an infield course at a speedway, or a real natural road course?hrug:
Old 29 Nov 2004, 15:51 (Ref:1167122)   #2
Brian W Keske
Racer

Brian W Keske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Alabama Road Course?

Quote:
Originally posted by Tailwind
Does anyone know anything about this track? Is it an infield course at a speedway, or a real natural road course?hrug:
Here's a link:

Barber Motorsport Park

Last edited by Brian W Keske; 29 Nov 2004 at 15:52.
Old 29 Nov 2004, 17:40 (Ref:1167217)   #3
Tailwind
Veteran

United States
Mulvane, KS
Tailwind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks. I guess "New" is relative.
Old 1 Dec 2004, 18:44 (Ref:1169221)   #4
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe those in the South can help me... out here on the West coast we tend to think of the South as a NASCAR stronghold and that road courses and any type of road racing is like the plague to race fans down there.

What I am basically getting at is that could a Champ Car race be successful over there?
Old 1 Dec 2004, 19:10 (Ref:1169239)   #5
Brian W Keske
Racer

Brian W Keske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Amar7605
Maybe those in the South can help me... out here on the West coast we tend to think of the South as a NASCAR stronghold and that road courses and any type of road racing is like the plague to race fans down there.

What I am basically getting at is that could a Champ Car race be successful over there?

I have talked to folks that have attended Grand Am races at this place. It is a beautiful track, but really built for motorcycle racing first and foremost. Very tight and technical, and not very fast, although it looks (at first glance) as it would be. In other words, I don't think CCWS would be a very good 'fit' there, albeit CCWS races at some pretty tight street courses....so...

In addition, it would probably be a tough draw seeing as Road America, Laguna, and Mid-Ohio have not been able to hold successful CCWS/CART races in the past few years.
Old 6 Dec 2004, 14:02 (Ref:1172329)   #6
The Treester
Racer

The Treester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Amar7605,

Maybe I can help you being that I was born and raised in Los Angeles but I've been living in the south for the past 16 years along with going to college in the south. If it aint Daytona 24hrs, Sebring or Petite then it's the plague! It's kind of weird though you have 3 of ththe Grand Slam of Road Racing events in the world located in the south, go figure. hrug:

Attending the Grand Am race at Barber for the first time was a little challenging to set up our cars because of it's slow turns, very much a momentum track. It's a purpose built track for motorcycles as stated by Brian. I think Champ Cars will draw a decent crowd but there will only be around 8 cars left in the race after the wrecks settle down. It's like a street course with unlimited run-offs areas!