Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 6 May 2007, 23:14 (Ref:1908039)   #26
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Anyone shed any light on why Tim Harvey wasn't commentating this weekend ?
Old 6 May 2007, 23:29 (Ref:1908044)   #27
Charlies
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
Charlies should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wondered the same; he was certainly racing in the Carrera Cup. Thought Simon Hill did a great job though.
Old 7 May 2007, 00:22 (Ref:1908065)   #28
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Good races. Vauxhall are clearly back for a fight. I was a bit worried after Brands, but Rockingham and Thruxton show we have our first real manufacturer tussle for the drivers championship for the first time since 2000 probably.

Some really great racing today, some incidents where you'd usually expect to see contact not actually causing it. Some of the usual of course as always.
Old 7 May 2007, 06:21 (Ref:1908126)   #29
El_Gibleto
Veteran

El_Gibleto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tim had a dose of flu and wasn't able to talk much. He did well to be able to race.
Old 7 May 2007, 09:59 (Ref:1908213)   #30
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was elsewhere this weekend, in doing so missing my frst BTCC meeting for about 3 years.

Anyway looking at the results a bad weekend for WSR and Matt Jackson in the BMW's. Hopefully they will both be back on the pace at Croft, as I understand that WSR are going testing between now and then. But the Vauxhall steamroller continues, but its looking like the title could already be heading to Italy...
Old 7 May 2007, 10:31 (Ref:1908232)   #31
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
We'll see at Croft, I am sure the Leon will go well there.

To me it's clear who the title is between, Plato and Giovanardi and SEAT and Vauxhall. I was hoping WSR would be up there but they just haven't seem to be able to hit the ground running this season.
Old 7 May 2007, 11:25 (Ref:1908265)   #32
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good to see some clean racing yesterday, for the most part anyway. Although Plato has the lead, you have to say that Giovanardi and the Vectra are looking a lot more threatening. Plato could probably do with Darren Turner helkping a bit more; I expected more from him, but so far Plato has been considerably the more impressive of the two. I also hoped that Colin Turkington would be winning races as well, but they do have a new car so perhaps they will improve as the season wears on. But they are a long way behind considering there has only been 3 race weekends.
Old 7 May 2007, 14:21 (Ref:1908344)   #33
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend
How lucky no-one was hurt when Kelvin Burt's Porsche flipped over the barriers. You could see from the TV pictures there were two spectators about 20 yards further up the path, yet Ben Edwards said at the end no one is allowed in that area.
Hadn't realised it was Kelvin Burt. If it was mentioned on the highlights I must have missed it. If it was where I think then it's the pathway going from the Complex to the area overlooking Green. The are signs up saying no spectating so Edwards was correct, but that doesn't mean there would be no spectators.

Quote:
Anyone shed any light on why Tim Harvey wasn't commentating this weekend ?
Who was the new bloke, and can we keep him? Thought he did a much better job than Harvey.

One thing that surprised me, at the end of the highlights show they didn't show a current points table or make much mention of what the points situation was. Seemed a bit of a obvious oversight.

One final thing. Next time someone complains about the crash and bash reputation of the BTCC, can we point them to the 7 cars, 5-abreast in Club. How that didn't end with at least 3 cars in the barrier I'll never know.
Old 7 May 2007, 14:58 (Ref:1908361)   #34
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
New commentator was Simon Hill, he did commentate on the supports for Motors, might have continued with Setanta this year.
Old 7 May 2007, 16:22 (Ref:1908396)   #35
Paddockman
Racer

England
Hampshire UK
Paddockman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good day out at Thruxton but two things that I found rather annoying.

1. In the 2nd race following Turner and Allison's Tangle at the chicane why were the cars not towed to safety? Instead the race was ruined by having a stationary yellow at club for the remaining 12 laps.

I realise after the Rockingham Incident with Matt Neal's car (re: further damage being done when recovering it) that this is a bit of a sore point but having seen the incident and Turners/Allison's cars that the best thing to do with them would be a simple tow, they both still had all 4 wheels and could have been dragged to safety only a few yards away.

In situations like this I think this should have been done under the safety car or if not it should have been a red flag.

Race control IMO made a very bad call ruining what was shaping up to be a good race.

2. Twice during the BTCC races when the safety car was waiting just past the start line to pick up the leader Marshalls at Club hung out the yellows.
Both incidents were nowhere between club and the safety car so I always thought the rule was that cars could race to the line before then the whole track went to safety car, am I wrong as I am sure this has been quoted many times.
Old 7 May 2007, 16:31 (Ref:1908400)   #36
Teletubby
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Teletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTeletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think that the cars were left in place because the tyrewall had been extensively damaged where they hit and to remove them would have been more dangerous.
Old 7 May 2007, 16:36 (Ref:1908405)   #37
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
New commentator was Simon Hill, he did commentate on the supports for Motors, might have continued with Setanta this year.
Simon has been the co-commentator on ITV's Motorsport UK for the last three seasons, as well as being on Motors TV's BTCC coverage between 2003 and 2006, and on Setanta this year, and is one of the pit-lane reporters on A1GP.
Old 7 May 2007, 19:36 (Ref:1908522)   #38
MikeH
Racer

Scotland
Perth
MikeH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well done to Flash on the great result in race 3. Was cheering Pinkney on at the start though - he made hay while he could and held on well. Shame he broke down at the end.
#68 - 2009 SMRC Scottish Legends Championship.
Old 7 May 2007, 21:24 (Ref:1908622)   #39
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeH
Well done to Flash on the great result in race 3. Was cheering Pinkney on at the start though - he made hay while he could and held on well. Shame he broke down at the end.
I'll second that. Great drive from Flash, kept Plato honest right to the line. A bit more development and I suspect that Civic could be a consistent front runner.

And the Alfa - if they can sort out the tyre wear there's a quick machine there somewhere, it was great to see it lead those 5 or 6 laps. Shame about Eoin Murray, he very generously lent Richard Marsh his spare engine on Saturday and then his failed on Sunday - result, no race 3. A real shame.

All in all a good clean race day, only marred for me by the move that Turner tried on Matt Allison that ruled out overtaking at the chicane for the rest of the race. Didn't see the whole incident, but from what the commentators were saying it was optimistic to say the least.

And of course the horrendous Porsche crash. Just glad no-one was seriously hurt (anyone know if Kelvin is OK? Must have been a hell of an impact)

Last edited by gregc; 7 May 2007 at 21:33.
Old 7 May 2007, 21:30 (Ref:1908625)   #40
MikeH
Racer

Scotland
Perth
MikeH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregc
All in all a good clean race day, only marred for me by the move that Thommo tried on Matt Allison that ruled out overtaking at the chicane for the rest of the race. Didn't see the whole incident, but from what the commentators were saying it was optimistic to say the least.
Turner?
#68 - 2009 SMRC Scottish Legends Championship.
Old 7 May 2007, 21:35 (Ref:1908627)   #41
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeH
Turner?
Er, yeah - him

Just in time for me to edit it...
Old 7 May 2007, 21:53 (Ref:1908642)   #42
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregc
All in all a good clean race day, only marred for me by the move that Turner tried on Matt Allison that ruled out overtaking at the chicane for the rest of the race. Didn't see the whole incident, but from what the commentators were saying it was optimistic to say the least.
Wasn't Turners fault. He got punted from behind by Gareth Howell which sent him into Matt Allison. Howell got a penalty for it.
Old 7 May 2007, 22:13 (Ref:1908654)   #43
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
If that's the case then fair enough, I shall henceforth blame Gareth instead of Darren for my lack of entertainment at Club

Really I'm just bitter that I chose to watch there rather than the Complex for Race 2 - sounded like the action through there was superb
Old 7 May 2007, 22:18 (Ref:1908658)   #44
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlies
Thought the racing was good and relatively clean. When they went five wide in a pack into the chicane I thought a pile-up was inevitable.
Me too! That was mental, i lost count of how many cars there were, but they behaved VERY well!!
Old 8 May 2007, 19:27 (Ref:1909291)   #45
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
OVERSTEER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That was quite an impact for Turner, I didn't think he would be out for race 3, It was my first visit to Thruxton, i'm still torn whether I prefer the complex, or club.
Old 8 May 2007, 19:35 (Ref:1909299)   #46
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
OVERSTEER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERSTEER
That was quite an impact for Turner, I didn't think he would be out for race 3, It was my first visit to Thruxton, i'm still torn whether I prefer the complex, or club.
CLUB!!!
Old 8 May 2007, 21:58 (Ref:1909446)   #47
Wilbo
Racer

Wilbo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A mention for Kelvin. A one off apperance that end in a big accident. Poor bloke had another big one in 1995 in the Volvo at Oulton Park, that impact really hurt I believe.
Old 8 May 2007, 22:43 (Ref:1909471)   #48
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Gareth Howell seems to cause his fair share of accidents. Can't recall him eliminating his team-mate before though.
Old 9 May 2007, 07:19 (Ref:1909609)   #49
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
It seemed to be a motorway style bump !
Old 9 May 2007, 08:00 (Ref:1909643)   #50
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He's a bit of a dirty driver at times....until I'd seen he's had license points and a fine I didn't realise he'd tapped Turner which put him into Allison - sure that wasn't his intention...!

Was really pleased to see the independent guys doing well over the weekend.