Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 11 Jan 2010, 12:51 (Ref:2611581)   #1
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
End of the Falcon (Again!!)

THE day of producing a home-grown Falcon for the Australian market are over, says Ford's world president and chief executive, Alan Mulally.

The Falcon has been designed and engineered in Australia since the 1960s, but Mr Mulally said at the Detroit motor show that under the new "One Ford" program there would be only one large-car platform for all markets.

"The best thing for Ford is to bring our scale and volume (to the market)," Mr Mulally said. "(Car makers) who make one vehicle, a different vehicle for one country, I think those days are gone, because you can't compete with the global companies, and Ford's going to be a powerhouse globally."

Ford's large car is likely to be based on the American-designed and built front-wheel-drive Taurus, which was unsuccessfully imported into Australia in the 1990s.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/en...0111-m2o8.html
Old 11 Jan 2010, 19:58 (Ref:2611837)   #2
billybanana
Veteran

billybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbillybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The manufacturers are all doing it with small and medium size cars so it was only a matter of time before the large car went the same way. The interesting bit will be if they go with a front wheel drive platform. Maybe we could end up with Mustang v Camaro V8 series. Could be worse I guess.
Old 11 Jan 2010, 20:27 (Ref:2611850)   #3
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
dumb dumb dumb duuuuuuuuumb. As good of a car as the new Taurus supposedly is, this should be working the other way around. GM is tapping into the Australian design/engineering because it work. Aussies build American cars they way they should be.
Old 11 Jan 2010, 20:59 (Ref:2611875)   #4
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybanana View Post
The manufacturers are all doing it with small and medium size cars so it was only a matter of time before the large car went the same way. The interesting bit will be if they go with a front wheel drive platform. Maybe we could end up with Mustang v Camaro V8 series. Could be worse I guess.
Maybe, or maybe we'd just use their headlights on our current cars.

I tend not to believe all this doom and gloom stuff. If i had a dollar for every time i read the end of 'insert model here' i'd be able to buy a new HSV with change.
Old 11 Jan 2010, 21:04 (Ref:2611877)   #5
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sad day for local manufacture if this turns out to be true.
Old 11 Jan 2010, 21:28 (Ref:2611896)   #6
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Before they try to force the Taurus onto the Australian public they should do some research to see if anyone will buy it........can someone start a poll?
Old 11 Jan 2010, 22:25 (Ref:2611937)   #7
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
Before they try to force the Taurus onto the Australian public they should do some research to see if anyone will buy it........can someone start a poll?
if it looks anything like the cockroach they tried to feed us last time, even as a Ford Supporter, not a chance...
Old 11 Jan 2010, 22:27 (Ref:2611940)   #8
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You don't need to start a poll. The Taurus was a massive flop when they tried to bring it here.

Perhaps the thing to read into this is the building of the platform. Many cars which look different share the same platform. Seems to be a place where a lot of expense lies.
Old 11 Jan 2010, 22:43 (Ref:2611949)   #9
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Bevan-L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i hope it replaces the falcon... i think its on par performance wise isnt it?
Old 11 Jan 2010, 22:48 (Ref:2611953)   #10
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
SSbaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think we should all draw breath.

My understanding from reading the article is that RWD platform for both Mustang and Falcon will now be shared.

Taurus may become available in Australia, but where exactly does [Mullaly] state "the RWD Falcon is dead"?
Old 11 Jan 2010, 23:02 (Ref:2611960)   #11
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSbaby View Post
Taurus may become available in Australia, but where exactly does [Mullaly] state "the RWD Falcon is dead"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mulally
the RWD Falcon is dead
there we go
Old 11 Jan 2010, 23:04 (Ref:2611961)   #12
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevan-L View Post
there we go
Do you just read what's in the paper and believe it word for word or do you think about what's written?

Again, where is Mullaly quoted as having said the RWD Falcon is dead?

The journalist makes that assumption. That is clear (to me) from the article.
Old 11 Jan 2010, 23:12 (Ref:2611965)   #13
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I read that article but it didn't have a shred of anything saying the Falcon was gone.

Fact is the Crown Vic, the platform of which goes back to the 1970's, and it's derivatives like the Lincoln Town Car, is going bye bye here in the USA.

It seems pointless to develop a rear wheel drive platform for the USA and then another one for Australia. IMHO, it is stupid.

I was talking to a fleet buyer recently and the word is the Falcon may be coming to the USA, in one form or another. The US government and fleet buyers like taxi companies and various police agencies want a tough RWD car with a V8. That's why the Holden Statesman was developed for the USA and Ford doesn't want to miss out on that market.
Old 11 Jan 2010, 23:15 (Ref:2611967)   #14
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I read a couple of 'may's' in there, 'may' is not 'will'
Old 12 Jan 2010, 00:17 (Ref:2611988)   #15
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Trev View Post
I read a couple of 'may's' in there, 'may' is not 'will'
It is in the media world
Old 12 Jan 2010, 00:25 (Ref:2611990)   #16
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Quote:
Do you just read what's in the paper and believe it word for word or do you think about what's written?

Again, where is Mullaly quoted as having said the RWD Falcon is dead?

The journalist makes that assumption. That is clear (to me) from the article.
absolutely. In fact a lot of my information comes from Today Tonight. At least i know i'm up to date with whats going on in Australia.
Old 12 Jan 2010, 00:40 (Ref:2611993)   #17
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If the Falcon is canned, it'll be a very sad day in Aus.
Old 12 Jan 2010, 00:47 (Ref:2611996)   #18
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevan-L View Post
absolutely. In fact a lot of my information comes from Today Tonight. At least i know i'm up to date with whats going on in Australia.
I detected the sarcasm earlier... but it's amazing just how many people don't understand how to read and comprehend.

<rant>
Journalism these days leaves a lot to be desired. There is hardly any truth to a story these days - tabloids are often open to ambiguity which ropes in the unwary. If there is a story there, it's there to push an agenda, regardless of the facts.
</rant>

For all we know, the next Falcon/Mustang platform could be designed by Ford Australia.
Old 12 Jan 2010, 00:55 (Ref:2611997)   #19
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Quote:
I detected the sarcasm earlier... but it's amazing just how many people don't understand how to read and comprehend.

<rant>
Journalism these days leaves a lot to be desired. There is hardly any truth to a story these days - tabloids are often open to ambiguity which ropes in the unwary. If there is a story there, it's there to push an agenda, regardless of the facts.
</rant>

For all we know, the next Falcon/Mustang platform could be designed by Ford Australia.
What sarcasm????? i don't like the tone you're using
Old 12 Jan 2010, 01:11 (Ref:2612002)   #20
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is all part of a kite flying exercise by Ford. Why else would they pay to take half a plane load of aussie Jurnos to the States to drive the new Taurus if they weren't at least testing the water about bringing it here.
I suspect Ford will assess the reaction to the "story" before deciding on whether to base the next Falcon on a rear drive or front drive platform.
Either way Mullaly said the Ford was committed to a rear wheel drive platform so if that's what make the most economic sense then that's what we'll get.
Either way with the new V8 Supercar rules the driving wheels and the original engine probably wont make any difference.
Old 12 Jan 2010, 01:28 (Ref:2612012)   #21
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Simon McNamaras egg farm.
billy bigtime has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Talk about a media beat up. May I suggest everyone reads the entire story, word for word, rather than the edited version on here. It sounds doom and gloom at the start but sounds pretty good towards the end.
Old 12 Jan 2010, 01:30 (Ref:2612013)   #22
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by inpitlane View Post
Either way with the new V8 Supercar rules the driving wheels and the original engine probably wont make any difference.
COTF will be in by then anyway...
Old 12 Jan 2010, 02:06 (Ref:2612025)   #23
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Mondeo would be a better option than the Taurus.

THe current model Mondeo isn't a bad looking car actually.
Old 12 Jan 2010, 02:10 (Ref:2612027)   #24
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by inpitlane View Post
This is all part of a kite flying exercise by Ford. Why else would they pay to take half a plane load of aussie Jurnos to the States to drive the new Taurus if they weren't at least testing the water about bringing it here.
I suspect Ford will assess the reaction to the "story" before deciding on whether to base the next Falcon on a rear drive or front drive platform.
Either way Mullaly said the Ford was committed to a rear wheel drive platform so if that's what make the most economic sense then that's what we'll get.
Well Ford USA is 99% sure to have another RWD sedan. How that plays into what happens with the Australian side of things, I guess we'll see. But it looks like the current Falcon is going to be around for another 5 years anyways.
Old 12 Jan 2010, 03:59 (Ref:2612036)   #25
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The way I read it, the Falcon will be FWD and AWD, and the Mustang may get sold here. Nowhere does it say the new Falcon will be RWD on the Mustang platform.