Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 10 Aug 2015, 22:34 (Ref:3565214)   #7076
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Baldwin View Post
Upgrades such as ???
Like a FIA grade garage complex. Just saying. NASCAR can pay the sanction fee, they can afford it. And there is nothing atop them from turning it to grade 1 either.
Old 11 Aug 2015, 00:15 (Ref:3565221)   #7077
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
Like a FIA grade garage complex. Just saying. NASCAR can pay the sanction fee, they can afford it. And there is nothing atop them from turning it to grade 1 either.
The amount of work to upgrade Watkins Glen to a grade 1 track would be astronomical.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 11 Aug 2015, 00:17 (Ref:3565223)   #7078
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
Hmm... Why not a 6 hour race at my favorite track, Watkins Glen? It's getting a repaved this year you know, they probably could throw in few upgrades while they are at it.
Flyaway round is out of the question so soon after LM. Edit: or you just meant generally

Probably Nurburgring will be just moved forward.

Last edited by deggis; 11 Aug 2015 at 00:22.
Old 11 Aug 2015, 00:47 (Ref:3565227)   #7079
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
The amount of work to upgrade Watkins Glen to a grade 1 track would be astronomical.

Well this is NASCAR, I don't think the track itself needs to be change since it already has a lot of runoff, the biggest change is actually the walls that need to pulled out and replaced with concrete ones.

But hey if this track doesn't get a WEC date but Road America does, that's fine with me too.
Old 11 Aug 2015, 00:53 (Ref:3565228)   #7080
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Flyaway round is out of the question so soon after LM. Edit: or you just meant generally

Probably Nurburgring will be just moved forward.
If they move Ring to July they better have some other event covering August then, or there'll be another agonizing gap just in different place.
Old 11 Aug 2015, 01:16 (Ref:3565229)   #7081
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
If they move Ring to July they better have some other event covering August then, or there'll be another agonizing gap just in different place.
In 2015, you have an 11 week gap between Le Mans and the Nurburgring with COTA three weeks after that.

In 2016, if you had the Ring race on July 23nd, it would be five weeks after Le Mans with COTA eight weeks after that.

If the Ring race were on July 30th, it would be six weeks after Le Mans with COTA seven weeks after that.

To be honest, either possible 2016 arrangement is better than what we're looking at this year.
Old 11 Aug 2015, 01:39 (Ref:3565230)   #7082
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Race in July and then gap is infinitely better than 3 month post LM gaps of the past few years, yes I agree, but it's still not great. ILMC Imola was at the beginning of July, and then Silverstone at the end of August, those were manageable gaps.

Anyway if we indeed get rid of COTA for 2017 as one would hope, then you could slap in the replacement for August and still have summer conditions for the race (something not currently needed for Texas)
Old 11 Aug 2015, 01:46 (Ref:3565231)   #7083
Artur
Veteran

Artur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Because it's incredibly expensive, and it would be back to where it is currently after two seasons.

The number of track days, schools, testing, races, and just general environmental wear make it prohibitively expensive, and unneccesary. The repaving was done in the corners that have been a problem since it was done in '95.

When it was done back then, it was found that the oil/tar that was used to hold the aggregate together leeched a slime when it got wet, then hot under the sun. It had been gone over a number of times, resurfaced, ground, all sorts of things. Nothing ever worked or held together. So, they finally took it back down to the gravel in the corners and re-laid the entire surface.
Thanks very much for the detalied reply!

I already knew RAm has lot's of activities with track days, schools, testings and actual competition. On youtube, there are lot's of private videos showing stuff like that.

I'm not an expert on tarmac technology but I have read some tech stuff about it(including about the surfacing of COTA), so I kind of have an idea of the different surfaces. Normally, on USA tracks, the surfaces are even visibly different from elsewhere. In America, typically, the asphalts are light greyish instead of the typical dark greyish in Europe/Asia/South America/Australia. I think that has to do with the ingredients used on the composition. If I'm not mistaken, the darker tamacs are due to the high use of bitumen. Such component increases grip and it's part of the reason for the difference in grip between the surfaces. But, it seems to me(I can be wrong), that the USA's surfaces are not so rough(doesn't have as many asperities) as the typical foreign tarmac are. With a smoother surface(a good example is concrete, which is also light greyish and probably make up for a big part of the typical American asphalts), the grip is obviously reduced.

Interlagos had a resurface last year and F1/WEC improved 2 to 3s(~1m10s laptime). The tarmac is very dark and visibly different from things you see in USA(outside of COTA). Sochi also debuted a high grip tarmac with their track. I think after two years they would remain with far more grip than RAm even if they had as many track activity.

I just wish, whenever any American track repave it's tarmac, that they choose the same company(an American one, so no need for any expensive foreign one) that paved COTA. That's in line with the high grip that, imho, is more suited to motorsport competitions.
Old 11 Aug 2015, 10:58 (Ref:3565292)   #7084
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sure.... But. Texas is in a massively different environment than Road America. Part of the reason you see the change in color is because of the weather... The winter tends to be very harsh here.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 11 Aug 2015, 12:27 (Ref:3565314)   #7085
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Gazzetta dello Sport says Vettel will test the 488. Interesting even if just a test.

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/r...rrari-488-gtb/
Old 11 Aug 2015, 12:54 (Ref:3565321)   #7086
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
In 2015, you have an 11 week gap between Le Mans and the Nurburgring with COTA three weeks after that.

In 2016, if you had the Ring race on July 23nd, it would be five weeks after Le Mans with COTA eight weeks after that.

If the Ring race were on July 30th, it would be six weeks after Le Mans with COTA seven weeks after that.

To be honest, either possible 2016 arrangement is better than what we're looking at this year.
Keep in mind that the last weekend of July traditionally hosts the Spa 24H, a WEC race at the Ring at the same weekend would be horrible (and I doubt a back-to-back scheduling of both events would make much more sense either). Other venues might offer better opportunities.

The one but last weekend in July (around 23rd) or the first weekend in August (around 6th) would make a good target for the next WEC race after LM - why not Road America?
Old 11 Aug 2015, 18:52 (Ref:3565378)   #7087
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Keep in mind that the last weekend of July traditionally hosts the Spa 24H, a WEC race at the Ring at the same weekend would be horrible (and I doubt a back-to-back scheduling of both events would make much more sense either). Other venues might offer better opportunities.

The one but last weekend in July (around 23rd) or the first weekend in August (around 6th) would make a good target for the next WEC race after LM - why not Road America?
I would suspect the teams would rather have their European season complete and then go to other parts of the world as it would make more sense logistically.
It would be quite costly to fly all the kit to the USA for one race and then back to Europe just for one race.
Old 11 Aug 2015, 20:22 (Ref:3565400)   #7088
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound2 View Post
I would suspect the teams would rather have their European season complete and then go to other parts of the world as it would make more sense logistically.
It would be quite costly to fly all the kit to the USA for one race and then back to Europe just for one race.
The WEC covers part of the transport costs.
Old 11 Aug 2015, 20:26 (Ref:3565402)   #7089
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
Bob Baldwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How much of a part of Transport costs does WEC cover ?
Old 11 Aug 2015, 21:26 (Ref:3565416)   #7090
deggis
Veteran

Finland
http://www.racecar-engineering.com/n...fuji-showdown/

Three Super GT teams could go head to head with competitors from the World Endurance Championship if a challenge issued by GTA is accepted. Just before the Fuji 300km race GTA boss Masaaki Bandoh, revealed that he has requested that three GT500 teams are allowed to race in the Fuji 6 Hours as unclassified runners. One team from each manufacturer would take part and run in the race with the WEC regulars.

Not gonna happen and I won't blame WEC for it.
Old 11 Aug 2015, 21:31 (Ref:3565417)   #7091
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound2 View Post
Agreed but my point is that the Ring might not be the best available option for a post LM race at the end of July/early August (because of Spa 24H). Second half of August would be better for a race at the Ring. The possible July date could then be taken up by a UK round (Silverstone), promoting a more climate friendly venue to the season opener (if I say Sebring think Bahrain) in March/April.

That way the number of euro races will remain the same (4 incl. LM), the UK round will likely see better weather (statistically at least!), the gigantic post LM schedule gap will disappear, the Ring keeps it's desired summer race and the Sheiks will still have something to brag about (and perhaps the FIA can charge them a little more for being the season opener?! ). It also opens up a bit of space for either an extra race in America (2 weeks before CotA), South Africa or Australia (both at the end of the season).

You see, it's not that hard!
Old 11 Aug 2015, 21:37 (Ref:3565420)   #7092
Coach Ep
Veteran

Quote:

Three Super GT teams could go head to head with competitors from the World Endurance Championship if a challenge issued by GTA is accepted. Just before the Fuji 300km race GTA boss Masaaki Bandoh, revealed that he has requested that three GT500 teams are allowed to race in the Fuji 6 Hours as unclassified runners. One team from each manufacturer would take part and run in the race with the WEC regulars.

It almost sounds like another Nissan publicity stunt!

In all seriousness, it would probably be a better idea to have a joint WEC-Super GT event at Fuji.
Old 11 Aug 2015, 21:40 (Ref:3565422)   #7093
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

Neveu was talking about 2016 and the rumored move from COTA to Road America wouldn’t happen until 2017. If not the Nurburgring, which is known to be wanting to host a WEC race on a permanent basis, then what might Neveu have in mind?
Old 11 Aug 2015, 21:48 (Ref:3565425)   #7094
Coach Ep
Veteran

Quote:
Neveu was talking about 2016 and the rumored move from COTA to Road America wouldn’t happen until 2017. If not the Nurburgring, which is known to be wanting to host a WEC race on a permanent basis, then what might Neveu have in mind?
See my other suggestion above.
Old 11 Aug 2015, 22:04 (Ref:3565429)   #7095
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:

Unfortunately this isn't the 1999 Fuji 1000KM anymore, but the modern day ACO racing where outsiders and even to certain extent even one-offs ain't welcome! It's adorable to see GTA/JAF continuing to push this agenda year after year, but it isn't gonna fly as ACO is scared of GT500 embarrassing LMGTE and even the non factory prototypes.

If GTA would have asked for GT300 teams to run as fifth category the request maybe could succeed in some theoretical level, but seeing as even they are faster than LMGTE even that is on the limit... I think ACO would have pointed their finger to the AsLMS and said "go there, go there now we need cars!!!!1111"

Quote:
Gazzetta dello Sport says Vettel will test the 488. Interesting even if just a test.

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/r...rrari-488-gtb/
Guess so but surely nothing more than publicity stunt?

Quote:
Agreed but my point is that the Ring might not be the best available option for a post LM race at the end of July/early August (because of Spa 24H).
German GP is also on that last week so no-no.

Glen 6 Hours is on the first week of July and I don't think they want to clash with NAEC. If they care.

There's also the ELMS RBR to be slotted somewhere in July, so there isn't much room to choose from.
Old 11 Aug 2015, 22:17 (Ref:3565431)   #7096
TheMightyM
Veteran

Quote:
See my other suggestion above.
Obvious problems: Many teams won't like the idea of a non-European round as the opener, as it means their season effectively has to start earlier because of the added transit time. It would also cut into development time ahead of Le Mans. And it increases the risk that some team won’t be ready in time for the opening round of the WEC, particularly in 2017 when you have new P2 cars.

You'd also have to rejig the ELMS schedule as they share the opening weekend at Silverstone with the WEC.

If the WEC wants to add a race — and there appears that there’s some push back against that, probably from some of the P2 and GTE-Am teams — then the WEC is going to have to keep the travel budget to a minimum, which going Silverstone - Road America - Nurburgring doesn't do.
Old 12 Aug 2015, 00:40 (Ref:3565460)   #7097
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
Quote:
Obvious problems: Many teams won't like the idea of a non-European round as the opener, as it means their season effectively has to start earlier because of the added transit time. It would also cut into development time ahead of Le Mans. And it increases the risk that some team won’t be ready in time for the opening round of the WEC, particularly in 2017 when you have new P2 cars.

You'd also have to rejig the ELMS schedule as they share the opening weekend at Silverstone with the WEC.

If the WEC wants to add a race — and there appears that there’s some push back against that, probably from some of the P2 and GTE-Am teams — then the WEC is going to have to keep the travel budget to a minimum, which going Silverstone - Road America - Nurburgring doesn't do.
Uh.... right, but, wether you go to Silverstone, Bahrain, China... or any other combo... it still costs the same.
Old 12 Aug 2015, 01:07 (Ref:3565466)   #7098
TheMightyM
Veteran

Quote:
Uh.... right, but, wether you go to Silverstone, Bahrain, China... or any other combo... it still costs the same.
That's not true.

Europe (Le Mans) - Europe - U.S. (Road America or COTA) - Japan

would likely cost you less than:

Europe (Le Mans) - U.S. (Road America or COTA) - Europe - Japan

Two times shipping long distances instead of three.

Last edited by TheMightyM; 12 Aug 2015 at 01:16.
Old 12 Aug 2015, 01:31 (Ref:3565467)   #7099
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

That would be an epic race! I will be waiting for the response from the ACO!
Old 12 Aug 2015, 02:06 (Ref:3565473)   #7100
Deleted
Veteran

I suspect there will be zero response in public, and the only bit to be heard is from Bandoh 6 months from now when he randomly happens to mention as side point in some interview that ACO didn't want them there, just as they haven't wanted before when such inquiries have been put forward.

Also as side note, I remember great quote from Autosport 2011 where some ACO-FIA representative said that there absolutely would not be GTC Porsches (& likely LMPC) allowed in Sebring 2012 because they are not legal in WEC. Now obviously this was later overruled because ALMS didn't give up on them, but that's different because it was their race the WEC was practically invading and compromises had to be made. But is shows of the ignorant stubborn mindness, exact contract to the ILMC

Last edited by Deleted; 12 Aug 2015 at 02:12.