Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 21 Sep 2015, 15:37 (Ref:3575771)   #7351
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
There would be still at least two more seasons (2016, 2017) and the official widthdrawal announcement might not come until 2017.
Audi has been going to F1 since, what 2006?
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 21 Sep 2015, 15:41 (Ref:3575772)   #7352
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
Where was Porsche and was Red Bull without an engine in 2006?

I'm prepared for the outcome that has been pretty much predicted ever since Porsche came. Apparently some other want to just put fingers in their ears and sing la-la-la-la.
Old 21 Sep 2015, 15:46 (Ref:3575775)   #7353
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Where was Porsche and was Red Bull without an engine in 2006?

I'm prepared for the outcome that has been pretty much prediceted since Porsche came. Apparently some other want to just put fingers in their ears and sing la-la-la-la.
It's not really putting fingers in your ears though. It's more a case of beating the dead horse. I'm not saying it won't happen, but we've had a decade of these rumours and there's no reason to suggest it'll happen now. If VAG were considering entering, then Red Bull would've dropped Renault at a heartbeat.

Also got to consider what there is to gain for VAG. They'll enter what points to a very abusive relationship with Red Bull and be given no credit should they be successful, but shoulder all the blame should they not be. The risk is high, as it appears as F1 PUs are quite fiddly for whatever reason (with 50% of the engine builders struggling), and best case scenario is they win under somebody elses branding, rather than their own.
Old 21 Sep 2015, 17:05 (Ref:3575805)   #7354
Giba
Racer

United Kingdom
Leeds
Giba should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
There were rumours even in 2002!

However I do think that they are more likely to leave than previous rumours. But I would be surprised if they left the DTM/Class One category as they are part way through development and wasting that would seem very unAudi
Old 21 Sep 2015, 17:37 (Ref:3575816)   #7355
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
There are always loads of rumours but after the US courts remove huge sums of cash from VAG for their diesel law breaking and the costs of fixing the cars there. plus a good chance they will need to sort out european cars it could be that other expenditure by VAG group might be cut back and an enormous F1 expenditure might be pushing the boat to far for the shareholders despite what some in VAG might want to do.
Old 21 Sep 2015, 17:40 (Ref:3575817)   #7356
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Their stock dropped 20% today. Of course this is somewhat temporal but the image damage is going to be a long lasting. Tbh, they deserve it.
Old 21 Sep 2015, 17:43 (Ref:3575818)   #7357
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
The fines aren't confirmed yet are they? But I would be very surprised if VW weren't slapped with a big one following this.

Normally I would say that a company of VW's size could absorb a hit and still make expensive plans (like entering F1) because they have that much in reserve, but that may not be the case here.
Old 21 Sep 2015, 17:51 (Ref:3575822)   #7358
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
It's not really putting fingers in your ears though. It's more a case of beating the dead horse. I'm not saying it won't happen, but we've had a decade of these rumours and there's no reason to suggest it'll happen now.
Most of the previous occasions I've shrugged off, but this time the timing just seems to make more sense.

Quote:
If VAG were considering entering, then Red Bull would've dropped Renault at a heartbeat.
They just did that couple of weeks ago.

Quote:
Also got to consider what there is to gain for VAG. They'll enter what points to a very abusive relationship with Red Bull and be given no credit should they be successful, but shoulder all the blame should they not be. The risk is high, as it appears as F1 PUs are quite fiddly for whatever reason (with 50% of the engine builders struggling)
The main scenario in the rumor(s) is buying majority stake of the team, so there's no anymore Red Bull Racing in the current form if that happens, and Red Bull only becomes a sponsor. If anything Renault and to a lesser extent Honda has now proven that only engine supplying is the wrong way to do it.

Quote:
and best case scenario is they win under somebody elses branding, rather than their own.
And for the past 15 years they've been turning down left and right LMP1 title sponsorship offers from the the top 10 brands list?
Old 21 Sep 2015, 17:55 (Ref:3575825)   #7359
divxx
Racer

United States
Other side of the pond
divxx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The fact that this cheating fiasco is specifically about their diesel technology, advertisements for which VW have begun to scrub from TV and the internet, I fear it's a direct threat to the Audi LMP1 project, which, from a business standpoint, can be distilled into one big marketing campaign for VW diesel.
Old 21 Sep 2015, 17:56 (Ref:3575827)   #7360
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
When one considers that Hyundai and GM paid off the US Government for relative pennies on the dollar for their MPG cheating and ignition switch scandals respectively, it's only fair that VW gets to do the same with their emissions regs gaming. And there, it does bare remembering that EU regs don't stigmatize NOx like North America does and vice versa.

And as for the F1 rumors, how many times since 2000 has there been rumors of Volkswagen Group entering F1? I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 21 Sep 2015, 21:33 (Ref:3575873)   #7361
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Hyundai didnt install a device to deceive, theyre cars just didnt meet what was on the label. 'False advertising'. Not comparable to what VW did.
Old 21 Sep 2015, 21:41 (Ref:3575878)   #7362
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Hyundai didnt install a device to deceive, theyre cars just didnt meet what was on the label. 'False advertising'. Not comparable to what VW did.
VW didn't install a device, they programmed the computer to under certain circumstances lower the emissions. Those circumstances matched perfectly those within emissions are tested. Volkswagen admitted to this, but no devices were installed, so yes, they cheated, but so did Hyundai/Kia.

This issue is located solely to the US, as NOx is still a disputed emission, with high political sensitivity.
Old 21 Sep 2015, 21:48 (Ref:3575883)   #7363
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
VW didn't install a device, they programmed the computer to under certain circumstances lower the emissions. Those circumstances matched perfectly those within emissions are tested. Volkswagen admitted to this, but no devices were installed, so yes, they cheated, but so did Hyundai/Kia.

This issue is located solely to the US, as NOx is still a disputed emission, with high political sensitivity.
Semantics. A device is a general term. Hyundai didnt program their cars to give off readings that were false. They gave a false estimation on fuel economy. Ford has the same problem but you hear nothing about their hybrids failing to meet advertised claims.
Old 21 Sep 2015, 22:04 (Ref:3575885)   #7364
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by divxx View Post
The fact that this cheating fiasco is specifically about their diesel technology, advertisements for which VW have begun to scrub from TV and the internet, I fear it's a direct threat to the Audi LMP1 project, which, from a business standpoint, can be distilled into one big marketing campaign for VW diesel.
To what degree are Euro VAG Diesels affected, and what percentage of overall VAG sales are Diesels in North America? If they completely lost their Diesel market in North America, does that really affect their global strategy?
Old 21 Sep 2015, 22:57 (Ref:3575888)   #7365
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
And it has to be remembered that North America villianize NOx more than CO and CO2, while in Europe (and most of the rest of the world, who's emission standards for the most part closely mirror EU regs), it's currently the opposite.

That's why, among other reasons, that NA, the EU, the FIA and UN standardize on vehicle regs. One standard, no more of these guys going their own way.

The latter happens enough in auto racing for example, as it is among other things.
Old 21 Sep 2015, 22:59 (Ref:3575889)   #7366
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
To what degree are Euro VAG Diesels affected, and what percentage of overall VAG sales are Diesels in North America? If they completely lost their Diesel market in North America, does that really affect their global strategy?
Currently all VW diesel engines--including the 2 liter 4-cylinders in question (the VW 3.0 TDI isn't listed, and I think is currently only available in the Audi Q7)--meet EU regs.

But as I mentioned above, US vs EU regs are like night and day in several regards, too.
Old 22 Sep 2015, 06:47 (Ref:3575936)   #7367
TF110
Veteran

United States
New rumors of Jenson Button retiring from F1 next year to join the wec. If he joins, I expect it to be with an lmp1 team... Toyota? Nissan? One of the VAG teams? I think another Japanese team is in the cards honestly with his g/f and history with Honda.
Old 22 Sep 2015, 07:23 (Ref:3575944)   #7368
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Most of the previous occasions I've shrugged off, but this time the timing just seems to make more sense.

They just did that couple of weeks ago.

The main scenario in the rumor(s) is buying majority stake of the team, so there's no anymore Red Bull Racing in the current form if that happens, and Red Bull only becomes a sponsor. If anything Renault and to a lesser extent Honda has now proven that only engine supplying is the wrong way to do it.

And for the past 15 years they've been turning down left and right LMP1 title sponsorship offers from the the top 10 brands list?
It's been rumoured so many times that of course eventually one rumour will make sense. And Red Bull haven't dropped Renault - the relationship got so bad that neither want to work with each other. The idea that Red Bull have dropped Renault would suggest that they have a back-up plan. But the back-up plan is either beg VAG to enter, or packup and leave.

The fact that Audi and Porsche do not run title sponsorship is further proof to the VAG agenda. They want to win with their car. Their technology. Their headlines. They don't want the car to be plastered with everybody elses logos, and a car designed by other people.

So lets be realistic. Why do the VAG rumours have merit this time? Because Red Bull are having a hissy fit?
Old 22 Sep 2015, 09:46 (Ref:3575967)   #7369
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
New rumors of Jenson Button retiring from F1 next year to join the wec. If he joins, I expect it to be with an lmp1 team... Toyota? Nissan? One of the VAG teams? I think another Japanese team is in the cards honestly with his g/f and history with Honda.
It's more than simply rumor at this point - Button's actively hinting at retirement. But everything beyond that is indeed just rumor with nothing to support it yet. It's also rumored he'll be balancing WEC with presenting the revamped Top Gear.
Old 22 Sep 2015, 12:40 (Ref:3576010)   #7370
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Wait, I thought Le Mans isn't for him since it involves passing slower cars all the time and he can't be arsed to do that?

He can stay away for all I care, the last thing the WEC needs is F1 drivers that treat the series as some sort of retirement plan when all their options in the so-called pinnacle of motorsports are exhausted.
Old 22 Sep 2015, 13:06 (Ref:3576017)   #7371
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
Wait, I thought Le Mans isn't for him since it involves passing slower cars all the time and he can't be arsed to do that?

He can stay away for all I care, the last thing the WEC needs is F1 drivers that treat the series as some sort of retirement plan when all their options in the so-called pinnacle of motorsports are exhausted.
His motivation is the only thing standing between him and good performances on track (assuming he does find himself a ride). Knowing WEC's fetish for F1, I'd say they're pretty active behind the scene trying to move things into a direction where Button gets a chance to compete with one of the top 3 manufacturers.
Old 22 Sep 2015, 13:08 (Ref:3576018)   #7372
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Their woes in F1 make it unlikely - but it would be nice to see a McLaren Honda LMP1
Old 22 Sep 2015, 15:32 (Ref:3576082)   #7373
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
McLaren doesn't have any desire in Le Mans return unless they can win it overall with GT car

Honda (the parent company) has never had particularly great interest towards Le Mans in the first place

Button doesn't give rats ass about anything below F1
Old 22 Sep 2015, 16:10 (Ref:3576100)   #7374
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
I'm not sure if this means much of anything on the motorsport side, but there are unconfirmed reports that Porsche CEO Matthias Muller is being readied to replace Martin Winterkorn when he inevitably steps down. Nothing on this officially yet, but as more countries get in on the act it does look likely that Winterkorn will have to go.

(Link auf Deutsch, but I think my rudimentary German got this much at least).
Old 23 Sep 2015, 05:31 (Ref:3576247)   #7375
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
And Red Bull haven't dropped Renault - the relationship got so bad that neither want to work with each other. The idea that Red Bull have dropped Renault would suggest that they have a back-up plan. But the back-up plan is either beg VAG to enter, or packup and leave.
It is understood Red Bull has issued a document requesting a termination of the partnership that will be accepted by Renault.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/120696

Renault says they're "renegotiating" the contract, which kind of confirms above as otherwise they would have a valid contract.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/120825

Quote:
The fact that Audi and Porsche do not run title sponsorship is further proof to the VAG agenda. They want to win with their car. Their technology. Their headlines. They don't want the car to be plastered with everybody elses logos, and a car designed by other people.
Yeah right. So last year's F1 constructor's champion is Petronas and Peugeot was actually a car named Total. And that agenda isn't very company-wide agenda considering the size of Red Bull stickers on the VW Polo WRC car.

No big sponsor => get a lot of small sponsors. As in WEC, including Toyota.
Have one big sponsor => less need for small sponsors. As seen in F1, Nascar etc.

I've brought this up so many times, but no one ever agrees with me. Apparently easier to pretend everything is perfect and completely deny the possibility that WEC may have an issue with attracting sponsors.

Last edited by deggis; 23 Sep 2015 at 05:39.