Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 28 Apr 2024, 19:00 (Ref:4206910)   #201
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
To those who, earlier, were saying what a farce the day had been so far, might I humbly suggest that if you have never raced on a really wet circuit, let alone one that had multiple streams going across it, then your comments were truly unfair. I've raced at Brands Indy in the pouring rain twice in a car that a) wasn't a s fast as these BTCC cars are and b) one that was only worth a mere fraction of today's cars, and it can be quite frightening because a driver never knows when he could aquaplaning or just plain going straight on rather than going around a corner.

It may look exciting to watch, but for a driver that's got his head screwed on properly, it is far from fun. I think that the organisers and most of the drivers interviewed got it absolutely right, but it was obviously unfortunate for those sitting on the banks today. However, their perseverance paid off in the end because we all ended up seeing some cracking races and racing through the afternoon.

On another matter, it was quite uncomfortable at times watching some drivers in various races leaving the track, obviously unintentionally, but then returning to the circuit in what I would consider an unsafe manner. That no-one else was actually collected by these drivers was a minor miracle, and I hope that this will be pointed out to the drivers when they have their briefing at Brands in a couple of weeks.
Old 28 Apr 2024, 19:00 (Ref:4206911)   #202
SSmith
Veteran

SSmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some good racing today and special thanks as ever to all the marshals and track crew who made racing possible. Driving standards were mostly ok as well.

All in all, I think it will be a good season. Ingram and Sutton the stand-out performers (as ever) but there's plenty of quick drivers and decent cars. Moffat and DeLeon merit praise - Moffat for performing impeccably in R3 and DeLeon and team for doing well in Q and finishing R1-R2.

18 of the 20 drivers have scored points. Halstead (16th/16th/17th) and Sumpton (17th/DNF/16th) being the two who didn't - they will score points through attrition this year but are comfortably the slowest two.

It looks like Toyota and BMW still need to get on top of their cars - which they undoubtedly will once Toyota's 4 drivers learn the quirks of the Corolla and BMW set up the car to suit their upgrades. It may just have been circuit/condition specific but the Vauxhall Astras and the Cupra Leons looked quite slow in pure race pace.
Old 28 Apr 2024, 19:06 (Ref:4206912)   #203
SR18
Rookie

SR18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stupid from WSR for not letting Turkington Overtake Morgan after Morgan bottled it. That did cost them the win
Old 28 Apr 2024, 19:12 (Ref:4206913)   #204
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
well the last race was really good and still hoping a few more cars make the grid at brands.
Old 28 Apr 2024, 19:15 (Ref:4206914)   #205
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I missed the last race as the sky + recording cut off just before it. Is there anywhere to watch it?
Old 28 Apr 2024, 19:18 (Ref:4206915)   #206
AJD
Rookie

AJD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
To those who, earlier, were saying what a farce the day had been so far, might I humbly suggest that if you have never raced on a really wet circuit, let alone one that had multiple streams going across it, then your comments were truly unfair. I've raced at Brands Indy in the pouring rain twice in a car that a) wasn't a s fast as these BTCC cars are and b) one that was only worth a mere fraction of today's cars, and it can be quite frightening because a driver never knows when he could aquaplaning or just plain going straight on rather than going around a corner.

It may look exciting to watch, but for a driver that's got his head screwed on properly, it is far from fun. I think that the organisers and most of the drivers interviewed got it absolutely right, but it was obviously unfortunate for those sitting on the banks today. However, their perseverance paid off in the end because we all ended up seeing some cracking races and racing through the afternoon.

On another matter, it was quite uncomfortable at times watching some drivers in various races leaving the track, obviously unintentionally, but then returning to the circuit in what I would consider an unsafe manner. That no-one else was actually collected by these drivers was a minor miracle, and I hope that this will be pointed out to the drivers when they have their briefing at Brands in a couple of weeks.
Completely agree with this. That's all I'll say as I don't want to bring up the farce arguments again.

Weather can't be controlled and the drivers/marshall safety is paramount.
Old 28 Apr 2024, 19:48 (Ref:4206919)   #207
Protonman
Rookie

Protonman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wailted till watched full programme before wishing to comment . Like previous texter I recorded and watched back. Got past problem of recording finishing early by switching to +1 channel . Firstly special merit to all who salvaged what looked a disaster with good old fashioned hard work and persistence. Ingram spoiled plans by winning 2 on Trot which wasn’t in the script . Hybrid disadvantage less when those outside top 4 cannot keep up. Race 3 more than made up for that and Moffat was a star . Wasn’t expecting any Toyotas in top 3 given all drivers are new to car and they were playing catch up. Fords had A mare bar Sutton and BMW have work to do with tyre ware . Note few cars being lapped and those in gravel had a helping hand . Even the underfunded privateers were in the same race although slowly dropped to back and DeLeon is our new David against many Goliaths . 2 more cars would have been good but at no point was it boring , even in the shortened round 1
Old 28 Apr 2024, 20:08 (Ref:4206922)   #208
mick bennett
Rookie

mick bennett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Race 3 was by far the best race , simply because it was the shaken up grid. They should do the same with race 2 , far more entertainment would result.
Old 28 Apr 2024, 20:32 (Ref:4206923)   #209
Adamcas87
Racer

England
Old hairpin
Adamcas87 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAdamcas87 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Seems like the new boost changes have made a real difference

If race 3 is anything to go by this season is going to be a good one
Old 28 Apr 2024, 21:19 (Ref:4206926)   #210
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I missed the last race as the sky + recording cut off just before it. Is there anywhere to watch it?
TikTok?

I knew it would run over, so I now have a series link for Monster Carp.

Great third race in particular.
Old 28 Apr 2024, 21:26 (Ref:4206927)   #211
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
TikTok?

I knew it would run over, so I now have a series link for Monster Carp.

Great third race in particular.
The touring car races are being shown at different times on ITV this coming week. Check your listings for times.
Old 28 Apr 2024, 21:31 (Ref:4206928)   #212
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
You could try ITVX their on-line player
Old 28 Apr 2024, 21:31 (Ref:4206929)   #213
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://www.itv.com/watch/british-to...ionship/1a5204

All 7 hours there.
Old 28 Apr 2024, 21:51 (Ref:4206930)   #214
auroan
Veteran

auroan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post

Yep totally agree. Every Birket relay I've done has been biblical weatherwise and doing a 2hr stint in similar conditions to this morning was simply horrific. And that's an lowly 165bhp compact cup car.
Old 28 Apr 2024, 22:24 (Ref:4206931)   #215
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a spectator I was frustrated but it felt like we were all frustrated about the same situation together rather than anyone being at fault.

I just plonked myself into the covered grandstand and awaited further information, then trudged down to the old hairpin when racing resumed (best place to watch in British Motorsport imo, always action down there)
All the series in action today put on a great show in trying circumstances to give us some good memories to go home with so when we think back to the day all we'll remember how great the BTCC or Legends races were or that Wet/Dry mini race and we'll eventually forget how long we had to wait in the cold and rain!
(with the possible exception of the Radicals though that stunk up the show a tad. Maybe I just don't "get" them but I'd happily not have them on the BTCC package ever again, aside from the start crash they didn't do anything all weekend....boot them over to British GT or something and leave more room for more racy supports!)

I was also struck by the policy to allow snatched vehicles to return back to the paddock using the external paths the spectators would be on, any situation where racing drivers who are full of adrenaline and disappointment and spectators trying to get a selfie with one of the machines they've come to see as it drives past the other side of the barriers is asking for trouble in my opinion.
Couldn't they just keep the cars behind the barriers and let them drive back on circuit at the end of the sessions?
Likewise some of the snatch tractors themselves were really teararsing it around the spectator side of the fencing in their haste to get to incidents, recipe for disaster there too

Overall, perfect conditions for great racing, terrible conditions for spectating, I had such a good and such a terrible day all in one go!
Old 28 Apr 2024, 22:36 (Ref:4206932)   #216
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Funny how Ingram swept practices, got pole and a double win and everyone loves it - had it been Sutton I’m not sure such a dominant performance would’ve been taken as kindly!
Old 29 Apr 2024, 03:15 (Ref:4206938)   #217
v8supes
Veteran

v8supes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont have much to add other than i thought the racing was great yesterday, much better than last season.

Just to say a huge thank you to everyone who worked so hard in terrible conditions to get the event on.
Old 29 Apr 2024, 03:41 (Ref:4206939)   #218
WestHam92
Rookie

European Union
WestHam92 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Funny how Ingram swept practices, got pole and a double win and everyone loves it - had it been Sutton I’m not sure such a dominant performance would’ve been taken as kindly!
It a bigger compliment to Sutton that a dominant performance wouldn't be taken kindly than people showering Ingram with love.
Old 29 Apr 2024, 08:12 (Ref:4206950)   #219
STEVN111
Rookie

STEVN111 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My (very unimportant or knowledgeable) opinion on the whole weekend:

Fan of the new qualy format, but not a fan of how 13-20 are decided on the times from q1, feels like there should be a separate session to determine those places. Due to track evolution and weather (like we had this weekend) it seems very unfair on those guys in G1

Race 1 was a shambles from a spectator perspective, im sure thats the least they wanted for race 1 of the championship to be broadcast worldwide. Obviously I understand that a Red flag was out of the question, but the untrained tiktok viewer might not have been impressed, and we all know that the driver and marshalls safety is top priority (i do hope the one who seemed injured yesterday is ok), and at the end of the day i was tucked up nice and warm at hope so didnt mind

Race 2 and 3 (especially) were great though, the new hybrid has 100% made the racing better, just hope it doest become almost too powerful at some tracks

Looking forward to seeing how the tyres impact r2 at other rounds, could be in for some seriously good races this year

Also impressed by Ingram,Sutton,Hill showing their a class above it seems

DeLeon impressed with the package hes been given, and a fantastic drive from moffat in r3
Old 29 Apr 2024, 08:21 (Ref:4206952)   #220
ScottS
Rookie

ScottS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is anyone able to find out how the track worker/marshall is doing? Also, I assume the legends driver is ok after that nasty looking accident?

Lastly, I know there are a few marshalls that keep an eye on this section. Is there any update as to why there was marshalls lingering by the Radical down craners with only double yellows "protecting" them? I'm guessing that sort of information will be kept behind closed doors and kept private away from joe public though.
Old 29 Apr 2024, 08:46 (Ref:4206955)   #221
DaviePHD
Rookie

DaviePHD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A good start to 2024

Overall a good start to 2024:

Not sold on the new quali yet, but it's the first time they've run it and it might get slicker as the season rolls on.

Rain was obvs a nuisance but can't be helped, but the delay meant that we got to watch Nic Hamilton's' best ever finish on TV again.

The racing in R1 was good once it got going again... but I'm wondering if where barrier repairs etc are needed that a return to the pits ala' F1 isn't the best and safest option for all?

Racing in R2 & 3 was good, especially in R3. It's probably been a while since we watched a meeting with no win for Sutton!

Delighted to see Aiden Moffatt make the most of the chance he had, the Corolla does seem like an upgrade for him and he was pretty quick all weekend. Josh seemed to gel with the car too, reckon the proper Toyota Team have their hands full.

It does look like a quality field and I don't think the racing suffered for the lack of entries. But the cream does rise to the top, and the fast three from 2023 were still quicker than anyone over the weekend.

Roll on the next meeting.
Old 29 Apr 2024, 09:13 (Ref:4206958)   #222
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
R3 was one of the best BTCC races for a longtime IMO.
Old 29 Apr 2024, 09:55 (Ref:4206962)   #223
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
Race three was classic British Touring Car Championship.
Old 29 Apr 2024, 18:25 (Ref:4207005)   #224
techspeed
Rookie

techspeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agree with all the comments about Race 3 being mega. The adjusted battery boost allowances looks like it's going to make things interesting, and the tactical element makes it feel less contrived than the old ballast system or the option tire. Makes me feel that the option tire will be an unnecessary variable, but too early to say I guess.

I thought Huff looked quite racey in 1 and 2, and showed his experience in race 3 when he bided his time and Morgan made the mistake, but he seemed to go backwards after that. Hoping as gets more familiar with the car he is a real contender.

Theres been a bit of talk about WSR upping their game and of course you can never write off Ash Sutton but great to see Ingram and his team have clearly made progress too.
Old 29 Apr 2024, 21:23 (Ref:4207029)   #225
hen henths
Racer

hen henths should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A weird start to the season with all that rain and the safety car laps but they did the best they could in the circumstances. The second and third races were very entertaining. Well done to Aiden Moffat getting that win with a great defence.

With the crazy climate it wouldn't surprise me if this sort of washed out track happens again in the next few years. Maybe they can do a longer term upgrade of the drainage.

The new hybrid settings are obviously having the desired effect. I personally can't quite decide yet whether the push button overtakes are a bit too artificial for my tastes but then it's better than processional racing and as you said it has that element of strategy.

I do miss some of the familiar names that we've lost from the grid now. It makes me feel older. But the quality of the racing remains exceptional. The championship feels wide open this year with Tingram taking the lead and Hill in the mix. Turks did well but I was hoping for even better. Cookie is going better this year. Huff has already been fun to watch as well. No mean feat as we've seen a number of other greats struggle when they returned to the BTCC after a break.