Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 25 Sep 2009, 16:26 (Ref:2548062)   #151
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting comments by Marcus Pye, "Patrick B-E sportsmanship in conceding victory to Nick Mason", surely he did not throw the race, that can lead to a lifetime ban
Also Marcus's comment re once a year racers in the big banger sports cars who may be out of their depth, is this a reference to the individual who caused the start line shunt?
Old 25 Sep 2009, 16:31 (Ref:2548065)   #152
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by p261brm View Post
With ING parting company with Renault; Should his Worshipfullness hot foot it in their direction for sponsorship? After all if successfull, with what they paid Renault, no need to ask for a donation next year
as a Dutch taxpayer, seeing massive amounts of bail-out money going to the ING Bank, I think I have to object to this proposal.
Old 25 Sep 2009, 17:16 (Ref:2548089)   #153
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
as a Dutch taxpayer, seeing massive amounts of bail-out money going to the ING Bank, I think I have to object to this proposal.
At least you will receive something for your money at Goodwood henk, giving it to Renault you'l get nowt.
Old 25 Sep 2009, 17:16 (Ref:2548090)   #154
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
HRSTR5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To those complaining about discordant notes from his Lordship's sister, it was not nearly as offensive to the ears as hearing Lord Mandelsohn coming over the PA - made even worse that it was during the BBMF display. I honestly can't believe that anyone let him into the event ... let alone that they put a microphone in front of him. He got a resounding chorus of boos and catcalls from the crowd at Lavant at least!

Last edited by John Turner; 25 Sep 2009 at 17:44.
Old 25 Sep 2009, 18:34 (Ref:2548158)   #155
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRSTR5 View Post
To those complaining about discordant notes from his Lordship's sister, it was not nearly as offensive to the ears as hearing Lord Mandelsohn coming over the PA - made even worse that it was during the BBMF display. I honestly can't believe that anyone let him into the event ... let alone that they put a microphone in front of him. He got a resounding chorus of boos and catcalls from the crowd at Lavant at least!
OT John I know! just could not resist this one; Meddlesom there? did not know that, and all those lovely Spitfires n' Mustangs, at dispersal, ready for action......Oh boy! a golden opportunity missed
Old 25 Sep 2009, 18:52 (Ref:2548176)   #156
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hmmm, I rather think that good though they were, there would be a lot of collateral damage, so maybe not, eh?
Old 25 Sep 2009, 19:38 (Ref:2548224)   #157
eigger
Rookie

eigger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grideigger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
To those complaining about discordant notes from his Lordship's sister, it was not nearly as offensive to the ears as hearing Lord Mandelsohn coming over the PA -.......
Fair enough, Mandelson would be worse. What on earth was he there for ? I can only he assume he heard about fancy dress aspect and came as the Spectre at the Feast .I t may be holding a grudge too long but I still haven't forgiven him & his cronies for not rolling forward the classic car VED exemption.
Old 25 Sep 2009, 19:47 (Ref:2548228)   #158
eigger
Rookie

eigger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grideigger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What DID cause the startline shunt in the Whitsun Trophy ? I saw it but I still don't understand it. The car that appeared to start it appeared to turn sharp right across the pack without outside assistance yet emerged largely unscathed and without mechanical failure. I'm not looking to start anything controversial - i'm just really curious how it happened
Old 25 Sep 2009, 21:37 (Ref:2548312)   #159
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
Quote:
Originally Posted by eigger View Post
What DID cause the startline shunt in the Whitsun Trophy ? I saw it but I still don't understand it. The car that appeared to start it appeared to turn sharp right across the pack without outside assistance yet emerged largely unscathed and without mechanical failure. I'm not looking to start anything controversial - i'm just really curious how it happened
Over zealous use of the right foot; or the twi* lit it up
Old 25 Sep 2009, 21:40 (Ref:2548314)   #160
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Hmmm, I rather think that good though they were, there would be a lot of collateral damage, so maybe not, eh?
Yeah a bit OTT Vimy and a bag of flour perhaps?
Old 26 Sep 2009, 08:08 (Ref:2548461)   #161
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I have done that off the line and yes you do feel a fool but all you need to do with a powerful rear wheel drive car is have one wheel on some oil and it can happen, I nearly took the whole field out at Snet but due to some very good driving from others got away with it.
Old 26 Sep 2009, 08:46 (Ref:2548476)   #162
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
I have done that off the line and yes you do feel a fool but all you need to do with a powerful rear wheel drive car is have one wheel on some oil and it can happen, I nearly took the whole field out at Snet but due to some very good driving from others got away with it.
Somehow Al, I do not think that was the impression Comrade Hadfield had on the incident, leastways it certainly did not coincide with his comments made as walked down the pit lane just after the incident. A lot of it I gathered had to do with birth and parentage, all in words found in the Oxford English, but if written here dear ole JT n' his blue pen....
Old 26 Sep 2009, 09:17 (Ref:2548489)   #163
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by p261brm View Post
Somehow Al, I do not think that was the impression Comrade Hadfield had on the incident, leastways it certainly did not coincide with his comments made as walked down the pit lane just after the incident. A lot of it I gathered had to do with birth and parentage, all in words found in the Oxford English, but if written here dear ole JT n' his blue pen....
!
Old 26 Sep 2009, 09:23 (Ref:2548491)   #164
smokystove
Racer

United States
BERLIN, GERMANY
smokystove should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Congrats and thanks to all of you who contributed to another fantastic Revival weekend. My lady and I went to the paddocks and made a point to poke our noses around Mr. Wills' Elite and Mr. Drabble's Turner, both lovely pieces of machinery.
Old 28 Sep 2009, 06:41 (Ref:2549519)   #165
jamesholland
Racer

jamesholland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

How very sad. Fortunately I didn't hear him.

I'm sorry that politics should impinge on glorious Goodwood and without wishing to be party political I'm surprised that his Lordship would wish to associated with those onethat has done more to destroy our heritage than any other in living memory.
Old 28 Sep 2009, 16:22 (Ref:2549845)   #166
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Last time I saw that car, Pieter, it had barrel rolled through a barbed wire fence into a ditch, on Tour Britannia!

It oversteered all the way round that, too...

Last edited by Tim the Grey; 28 Sep 2009 at 16:23. Reason: remove picture
Old 28 Sep 2009, 16:39 (Ref:2549863)   #167
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
Last time I saw that car, Pieter, it had barrel rolled through a barbed wire fence into a ditch, on Tour Britannia!

It oversteered all the way round that, too...
Good shot....did they use the spare chain to pull the car out of the ditch?
Old 28 Sep 2009, 18:10 (Ref:2549936)   #168
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
When will PBE win the Brooklands at Goodwood?
He was so unlucky having to pit and use all that water.Must have been just about the fastest car in the race comparing Spa practise times
Wonderful historic car.
Old 28 Sep 2009, 18:18 (Ref:2549945)   #169
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
When will PBE win the Brooklands at Goodwood?
He was so unlucky having to pit and use all that water.Must have been just about the fastest car in the race comparing Spa practise times
Wonderful historic car.
He was the fastest car, certainly after the surprisingly fast Leaf had to stop. He stopped twice apparently for water intake. (and not as the commentators suspected, to make the race more interesting)
Old 29 Sep 2009, 08:35 (Ref:2550317)   #170
Daimlerman
Racer

England
West Sussex - England
Daimlerman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I honestly can't believe that anyone let him into the event ... let alone that they put a microphone in front of him.
According to the GRRC members forum Lord March's office allegedly knew nothing about the Mandleson visit!!

Personally I find that hard to believe as Mandleson was spotted up at Goodwood House in a Rolls Royce with half a dozen police outriders!!
Old 29 Sep 2009, 09:07 (Ref:2550338)   #171
PBE
Rookie

PBE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
He was the fastest car, certainly after the surprisingly fast Leaf had to stop. He stopped twice apparently for water intake. (and not as the commentators suspected, to make the race more interesting)
OK. Here's the deal on me and my Frazer Nash at the Revival.
I had built a new engine for the race using a new block which I knew had a flaw (an inclusion around No3 bore making water routing poor) but at the time decided to risk it. During practice, at high sustained revs in top gear the temp gauge was rising rapidly whereas the car normally runs at a steady 70 degrees, therefore I knew that at least one cylinder was getting hot. I took the view that it was better to finish the race (and make it more interesting for the spectators) by doing short stints with pit stops to allow everything to cool down rather than plod around for 12 laps at 7/10 watching the temp gauge. During the 2 stops it made sense to throw in cold water while we could. Frankly speaking this also made the race more of a challenge for me. On the last lap after catching up with Nick at Fordwater, the car genuinely went flat and with the temp no higher than it been during the race, I suspected fuel pressure which I increased with the hand pump. I took the descision at that point to accept P2 rather than to end the race on the last lap with a melted piston.

As a footnote, on the first lap of qualifying (on the same engine) for the race at Spa the following weekend we melted a piston.....

The spare, less powerful, engine was sent over from the UK for the race which was running P2 on the penultimate lap when the ign switch failed. Grrr.

Well done to the Ruston team on a superb win in the Alta.
Old 29 Sep 2009, 10:37 (Ref:2550387)   #172
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Great post, Patrick, and a super result in the circumstances.

Any other racers out there willing to share their experiences of this event?
Old 29 Sep 2009, 14:36 (Ref:2550562)   #173
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBE View Post
OK. Here's the deal on me and my Frazer Nash at the Revival.
I had built a new engine for the race using a new block which I knew had a flaw (an inclusion around No3 bore making water routing poor) but at the time decided to risk it. During practice, at high sustained revs in top gear the temp gauge was rising rapidly whereas the car normally runs at a steady 70 degrees, therefore I knew that at least one cylinder was getting hot. I took the view that it was better to finish the race (and make it more interesting for the spectators) by doing short stints with pit stops to allow everything to cool down rather than plod around for 12 laps at 7/10 watching the temp gauge. During the 2 stops it made sense to throw in cold water while we could. Frankly speaking this also made the race more of a challenge for me. On the last lap after catching up with Nick at Fordwater, the car genuinely went flat and with the temp no higher than it been during the race, I suspected fuel pressure which I increased with the hand pump. I took the descision at that point to accept P2 rather than to end the race on the last lap with a melted piston.

As a footnote, on the first lap of qualifying (on the same engine) for the race at Spa the following weekend we melted a piston.....

The spare, less powerful, engine was sent over from the UK for the race which was running P2 on the penultimate lap when the ign switch failed. Grrr.

Well done to the Ruston team on a superb win in the Alta.
Thanks for that, good story and sensible driving. On topic of the car, is this the same? (2008). I have been wondering about the 5-digit chassis number
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1308.1.jpg  
Old 29 Sep 2009, 15:20 (Ref:2550590)   #174
Racer 35
Racer

England
South Derbyshire
Racer 35 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
QUOTE=John Turner;2550387] Any other racers out there willing to share their experiences of this event?[/QUOTE]

Hi All,

I was out in the Lavant Cup in my '59 Elva MkIV. We were credited with 19th place in practice,but closer inspection of the lap times showed a rather large error in sector one of one particular lap... to the tune of around 3.5 seconds in our favour. Maybe I should have come clean when I realised it, but I figured it would all equal out in the end, as the quick cars made there way past.
Come the race, however, I got a blinding start, and made up yet more places before Madgwick. The run to, and through, Fordwater, however was somewhat different, and a whole parade of cars went past, as expected.
After a couple of laps, and having opened a gap to the cars behind, I was able to get my head down and concentrate. The Gods of driving blessed me that afternoon, and I eventually got down to a lap within a couple of tenths of the spurious qualifying time, and 2.7s faster than my last outing at Goodwood in the Elva. Due to attrition we made a few more places up, and I think I may have actually caught and passed a couple of cars too.
The handover to Shaun was smooth, until the engine decided not to re-fire, but once back out on track he did a stirling job, and we finished a very happily surprised 14th.

Overall, a great Goodwood, and all the better for being able to share a race with a very close friend.

Click image for larger version

Name:	06. Assembly area before qualifying.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	332.2 KB
ID:	23925

Click image for larger version

Name:	14.Grid... Race Time!!.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	303.3 KB
ID:	23926
Old 29 Sep 2009, 15:32 (Ref:2550598)   #175
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
you might like this one...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1359.1.jpg