Old 16 Sep 2002, 17:19 (Ref:381707)   #1
QuickBrownFox
Racer

United Kingdom
Hailsham, East Sussex
QuickBrownFox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Monza finish line

Hi.

I had another weekend off the bank, and succumbed to watching the Ferrari snoozathon. I was quite "amused / amazed" by the guy waving the flag at the finish. Basically, Rubens led Michael across the line, with Michael being quite close behind Rubens. Guy steps out ONTO TRACK to wave flag, and nearly (it seemed close to me) gets collected by Michael who was about to sweep by pit wall.

I'd like to have seen that incident written up if it had happened.

Anyone else see it (or had I fallen esleep due to the race and dreamed it)?
Old 16 Sep 2002, 19:08 (Ref:381803)   #2
paul.hickman
Racer

United States
uk, mallorca & florida...
paul.hickman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep, saw it! Michael missed him, didn't he, so no incident to write up (here speaks an observer...!). That said, it was just a little bit close...

Going back in time there used to be a French (?) starter - a M. Roche I think - who 'dropped' the flag from the centre of the grid and ran ran like hell to avoid the accelerating pack... He lived

As to a 'snoozathon', I'm sorry but I disagree. For me it was but another brilliant display by the Prancing Horse - is it their fault that Williams threw it away? It's up to the others to play catch up. Ferrari is a 'team' in every sense of the word - can that be said of the rest?
Old 16 Sep 2002, 19:16 (Ref:381809)   #3
Tony_J
Racer

Tony_J should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry Paul the efficiency of Ferrari doesn't detract from the QBF's statement that it was a snoozathron. I suspect that F1 is rapidly slipping down the ratings unless you're a prancing horse or Shuie fan. For me the whole season has been a snoozathron.
Old 16 Sep 2002, 19:28 (Ref:381817)   #4
paul.hickman
Racer

United States
uk, mallorca & florida...
paul.hickman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK Tony_J, I like good close racing as much as the next person ... and readily accept that we don't see too much of that in contemporary Formula 1 racing - but one cannot get away from the fact that the entire Ferrari team is dominant - it is up to Sir Frank, Mr Dennis et al to raise their game.

As to being a Ferrari/Scuhmacher fan, well I can only respect the professional job being done by the team... I do feel that the anti-Schuey fervour in the UK is illogical and I do think that he is the best driver of his era by far. The sadness is that we were denied the opportunity of seeing whether the crown would have passed naturally from Senna to Schumacher.
Old 16 Sep 2002, 22:22 (Ref:381991)   #5
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Yes I noticed the chequered flag guy as well - got very light on his feet when he saw the red thingy heading straight for him though!

One other thing I noticed was that the Monza marshals didn't do the "let's wave all the flags" finish - particularly surprising in light of the winners of the race and the particular circuit. Could it be that someone has finally realised that accidents can still happen after the chequered flag and decided that waving all the flags could actually be a safety problem?
Old 16 Sep 2002, 22:29 (Ref:381994)   #6
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Yes I noticed the chequered flag guy as well - got very light on his feet when he saw the red thingy heading straight for him though!

One other thing I noticed was that the Monza marshals didn't do the "let's wave all the flags" finish - particularly surprising in light of the winners of the race and the particular circuit. Could it be that someone has finally realised that accidents can still happen after the chequered flag and decided that waving all the flags could actually be a safety problem?
Old 17 Sep 2002, 15:06 (Ref:382549)   #7
pinki
Racer

United Kingdom
Kent, England
pinki should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did anyone see the F3000 finish at Monza the day before, Enge actually managed to get the guy to run through the gap
Old 18 Sep 2002, 12:19 (Ref:383334)   #8
QuickBrownFox
Racer

United Kingdom
Hailsham, East Sussex
QuickBrownFox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by pinki
Did anyone see the F3000 finish at Monza the day before, Enge actually managed to get the guy to run through the gap
Wow - no I didn't, but will make the effort to watch it when repeated on terrestrial TV. Did they show the colour of the guy's underpants afterwards?
Old 19 Sep 2002, 10:25 (Ref:383999)   #9
pinki
Racer

United Kingdom
Kent, England
pinki should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Makes you wonder if Enge was smoking something at the time