Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 20 Apr 2010, 14:52 (Ref:2676636)   #1
LewsDad
Rookie

England
Thetford, Norfolk
LewsDad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Help needed: What is this car?

Can anyone tell me what this is? I'm pretty sure it's got a Morgan badge on it, but beyond that I haven't got a clue. My research skills are obviously not as prodigious as I like to make out...
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF4679.JPG   DSCF4683.JPG  
Old 20 Apr 2010, 14:58 (Ref:2676638)   #2
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Morgan SLR
Old 20 Apr 2010, 15:15 (Ref:2676644)   #3
LewsDad
Rookie

England
Thetford, Norfolk
So it is. Excellent work, many thanks

Also, holy cow! Had I had the first idea what it was, I would have paid it a bit more attention!
Old 20 Apr 2010, 17:24 (Ref:2676732)   #4
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewsDad View Post
So it is. Excellent work, many thanks

Also, holy cow! Had I had the first idea what it was, I would have paid it a bit more attention!
Simon Orebi-Gann testing after winter engine rebuild, along with fellow Driver / Morgan afficionado Rick Bourne. Chris Conoley (MASS) was keeping an eye on things- Wonder if he will do the same for me now my engine is finished!

Great car and great people. They are doing some Gentleman Drivers events plus some GT & Sportscar cup races this year.
Old 20 Apr 2010, 17:34 (Ref:2676743)   #5
LewsDad
Rookie

England
Thetford, Norfolk
Excellent, I'll keep an eye out.
Old 20 Apr 2010, 21:48 (Ref:2676946)   #6
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One of the four produced,beautifully rebuilt.
Old 21 Apr 2010, 09:06 (Ref:2677181)   #7
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
And it IS a very pretty car, indeed. It stops me in my tracks every time I meet it...
Old 12 Sep 2013, 08:24 (Ref:3302579)   #8
yesnomaybe
Racer

yesnomaybe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sorry to drag up an old thread, but i have a question about the Morgan SLRs

the question is, did any of them ever race at Le Mans?
i thought they had, or at least one had, but i've just realised that when registration plate TOK258 won its class in '62, it was then on a Morgan +4, not an SLR

i'm gaining interest in le mans and i'm trying to collect together all the pics i have of cars that raced at le mans

cheers
Old 12 Sep 2013, 09:40 (Ref:3302609)   #9
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesnomaybe View Post
sorry to drag up an old thread, but i have a question about the Morgan SLRs

the question is, did any of them ever race at Le Mans?
i thought they had, or at least one had, but i've just realised that when registration plate TOK258 won its class in '62, it was then on a Morgan +4, not an SLR

i'm gaining interest in le mans and i'm trying to collect together all the pics i have of cars that raced at le mans

cheers
I think it may be Morgan +4 SLR.

Some more info here: http://www.gomog.com/mogwire/SLR/allSLR.html

The Le Mans car appears to have been built around a Triumph chassis.
Old 12 Sep 2013, 10:44 (Ref:3302638)   #10
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yep, the first SLR wasn't constructed until late 1963 and it was indeed based on a TR4 chassis. Don't think any of them did Le Mans but did race at Spa and Nurburgring.

This should really be in the History section, so moving it (t)here!
Old 12 Sep 2013, 11:20 (Ref:3302651)   #11
yesnomaybe
Racer

yesnomaybe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thanks the info chaps

heres some further pics of these rare cars
http://www.flickr.com/photos/coletri...ags/morganslr/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/coletri...gs/triumphslr/
Old 12 Sep 2013, 11:26 (Ref:3302658)   #12
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
None of the SLRs, Triumph or 3 Morgan chassis'd versions, competed at Le Mans. My understanding (which is welcome to be corrected if wrong!) of the reason is that Chris Lawrence had a bad road accident which put him out of action for a lengthy spell. Upon his return to fitness he moved on to the Deep Sanderson project and the Morgan's were forgotten.

Shame as the potential top speed is so much higher than anything a +4 can achieve. With some additional lighting and optimised engine cooling it would have been a great Le Mans entry!

Old 12 Sep 2013, 12:52 (Ref:3302700)   #13
John Fielden
Rookie

John Fielden should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohn Fielden should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
None of the SLRs, Triumph or 3 Morgan chassis'd versions, competed at Le Mans. My understanding (which is welcome to be corrected if wrong!) of the reason is that Chris Lawrence had a bad road accident which put him out of action for a lengthy spell. Upon his return to fitness he moved on to the Deep Sanderson project and the Morgan's were forgotten.

Shame as the potential top speed is so much higher than anything a +4 can achieve. With some additional lighting and optimised engine cooling it would have been a great Le Mans entry!

To quote Bill de Selincourt who was a great friend of Chris:-
"One of the most uncomfortable cars I ever drove, I could not get into it properly"
Old 12 Sep 2013, 16:05 (Ref:3302830)   #14
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fielden View Post
To quote Bill de Selincourt who was a great friend of Chris:-
"One of the most uncomfortable cars I ever drove, I could not get into it properly"
Interesting! Although some 'hard points' (as I think they are called!) of the +4 remain the seat position is lower and view out so much better. Like a proper GT car in fact! The three Morgans are all equipped with full roll cages nowadays but having raced one for 50 minutes at a stretch and driven a short distance in another (both with period seats rather than FIA), I find them easier to drive and more comfortable than a +4. I'm about 6ft but anyone taller could struggle.

Off topic, but all 3 Morgan versions will be racing at Spa weekend after next. The unpainted car of John Emberson is doing the 6hr race, and that is a first for any of them. The other two will be in the 'only 90 minutes' Gentleman Drivers race on Sunday. Keith Ahlers in the green car is leading the GD Championship.

Old 12 Sep 2013, 16:39 (Ref:3302850)   #15
Greg Cozier
Racer

Barbados
Barbados
Greg Cozier should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the TR4 version is prettier due to being slightly shorter. It certainly has superior front suspension to the Morgan but is a bit heavier.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22310427@N08/5043917644/
Old 13 Sep 2013, 13:59 (Ref:3303369)   #16
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Off topic, but all 3 Morgan versions will be racing at Spa weekend after next.
Photo opportunity someone, anyone?
Old 14 Sep 2013, 07:28 (Ref:3303718)   #17
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Photo opportunity someone, anyone?
I'll be keeping both hands on the wheel, John!

Should find the green and red cars in Paddock Rouge and the (unpainted) 6hr entry in allocated garage.

Old 14 Sep 2013, 07:38 (Ref:3303724)   #18
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Someone should line them up!
Old 17 Sep 2013, 14:46 (Ref:3305250)   #19
Andy Clegg
Racer

Andy Clegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I took this photo at Donington Park at An HSCC meeting in 2001.
Attached Thumbnails
Donington HSCC 2001.jpg  
Old 19 Sep 2013, 08:12 (Ref:3306046)   #20
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If you are interested in Morgans of any stripe, including all three SLR's, you can find plenty of pictures on;

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=0DC64...C71B&sc=photos

The John Emberson car is unpainted as, so the story goes, it was rushed to Spa for the Six Hour Race for Lawrence to drive without time to paint it, so he hired a group of young lads to polish overnight, and it has remained so ever since. The original Triumph car was considered to have too short a wheelbase, and the further examples were based on the Morgan +4.
I became knowledgeable (not expert) on these cars when doing a short history for the 2012 Revival where all three were racing along with the original TR version. This was the first and only time (?) that all four cars had been together on the same grid.

bauble.
Old 19 Sep 2013, 08:39 (Ref:3306053)   #21
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
[IMG][/IMG]

John - your wish is my command!
Old 19 Sep 2013, 12:17 (Ref:3306148)   #22
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Brilliant, Bob. Now how about from the front!
Old 19 Sep 2013, 13:51 (Ref:3306193)   #23
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Brilliant, Bob. Now how about from the front!
I did not John, but I have seen a picture taken at Luffield Out with all three in line. My shot shows John Emberson leading Jack Bellinger (in Keth Ahler's car) with Simon O G bringing up the rear.
Old 19 Sep 2013, 15:33 (Ref:3306242)   #24
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
I jest, of course - read your byline. It is a great shot!
Old 19 Sep 2013, 17:42 (Ref:3306298)   #25
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
I jest, of course - read your byline. It is a great shot!
Gracious John! A sense of humour?

Amazing what they can do with transplant surgery these days.

Who mentioned bylines.?