Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 25 Jan 2012, 01:32 (Ref:3016571)   #2501
kober
Racer

kober should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lotterer, Fassler, Treluyer, Kristensen, McNish - two of them will be World Champions at the end of the year (mainly due to Peugeot Sport exit). And my money's on the German/Swiss pair

If you're not able to recall who were the last sports car World Champions, I'll give you the answer: Dalmas and Warwick.
Old 25 Jan 2012, 07:11 (Ref:3016615)   #2502
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk View Post
What I've read on the nature of RRH systems suggests that the use of a fluid inerter is far from unrelated.
For me the only relation is that they use hydraulics, but that is it. I would be very surprised in the Renault RRH system used mercury as fluid instead of some conventional hydraulic oil.

These pictures look nothing alike:

source: http://www.formula1.com/news/technical/2012/0/923.html

source: https://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2011/...fluid-inerter/

Of course all this is completely
Old 25 Jan 2012, 08:53 (Ref:3016639)   #2503
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Could the changes to the '12 R18 that we've seen may've been done to allow the installation of an inerter on the front suspension?

It has been suspected that enhancing mechanical grip (and issue that Audi had with the R15 and possibly the R18 last year) in low to medium speed corners has been a possible aim if the front suspension has been modified, which it seems to have been. Part time AWD or not, it seems that Audi may've been doing that, possibly with an eye to TMG's F1 experience with the J-damper--Audi can't be ignorant of what the J-damper can do and what it's limitations/advantages can be.
Old 26 Jan 2012, 22:33 (Ref:3017515)   #2504
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
On his blog Paul Truswell discuss his dinner with the 3 Audi race engineers. There is more to come in a next issue of Racecar Engineering.
Old 27 Jan 2012, 04:44 (Ref:3017604)   #2505
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will Oliver Jarvis drive for Audi at Le Mans in 2012? Maybe.
Old 27 Jan 2012, 09:35 (Ref:3017670)   #2506
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Interview released yesterday that I found linked in the WEC thread says that Dr. Ulrich has commented that Audi's participation in the WEC is yet to be confirmed but is very likely. Something going on at Audi, or are they finalizing driver lineups, the decision on to run the R18H with a hybrid system or not, and any possible deals with private teams at LM/WEC (remember the four car LM rumors, that at least one of them will be a private entry more than likely)?

Something up at Audi since Peugeot's withdrawal, or are they simply waiting to get everything tied up before making a public announcement? Seems random to me since Audi has been, in public at least, committed to the WEC so far.
Old 27 Jan 2012, 10:10 (Ref:3017691)   #2507
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
I assume that the official announcement will be made when the Le Mans and WEC entry list are revealed. Perhaps they applied for a 4th car in Le Mans and have to wait for the ACO's decision.

Audi also has not revealed their DTM line up. This choice also depends on their endurance program.
Old 27 Jan 2012, 14:16 (Ref:3017801)   #2508
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I wouldn't worry about their participation, nothing really indicates that they're planning to run and hide.

Meanwhile, some testing going on @ Abu Dhabi apparently?
http://radiolemans.0157.org/content/...yas-marina-why
Old 27 Jan 2012, 14:32 (Ref:3017814)   #2509
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Judging from the shape of the nose cone, that is definitely the revised R18. I guess they want to test the reliability of the hybrid system in hot weather. I find it a bit strange that they are not going to Bahrein instead, because that track is on the WEC calendar.

Last year there was the rumor that Peugeot tested in Bahrein during the winter: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...ng#post2834213
Old 27 Jan 2012, 16:30 (Ref:3017855)   #2510
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
For me the only relation is that they use hydraulics, but that is it. I would be very surprised in the Renault RRH system used mercury as fluid instead of some conventional hydraulic oil.

These pictures look nothing alike:

source: http://www.formula1.com/news/technical/2012/0/923.html

source: https://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2011/...fluid-inerter/

Of course all this is completely
Yeah, you're right, I got the inerter system crossed up with the brake caliper/pushrod linkage system they were using, which was used as anti-dive. Suspension setups are getting so complicated these days!
Old 27 Jan 2012, 21:50 (Ref:3017967)   #2511
Trussers
Rookie

Trussers should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrussers should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrussers should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
On his blog Paul Truswell discuss his dinner with the 3 Audi race engineers. There is more to come in a next issue of Racecar Engineering.
Actually it won't be until the Le Mans preview issue of Racecar Engineering, due out at the end of May... it seems that the Toyota launch slightly over-shadowed my piece.
Old 29 Jan 2012, 21:09 (Ref:3018633)   #2512
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Considering how well McNish ran at Daytona, would it be a fair statement that Audi's big issue with the R18 last year was horrid visibility and not the fact that Allan or Tom lost their touch? Of course, the fact that the R18H runs with a wider windscreen and a re-profiled upper tub (wider upper greenhouse and re-profiled nosebox and tub nose (?) ) seem to be a mea culpa by Audi Sport to those facts.

And whatever happened to the rumors/reports of the R18's windscreen causing distortion? It seems that the Toyota onboards show some distortion in isolated areas of the windscreen (not necessarily in the drivers' sight line), but that can also be the tear-off film/sheets or a camera effect. However, I've never noticed this being an issue on the R18, though the onboard cameras seemed to be mounted a fair distance away from the windshield compared to the TS030 onboards.
Old 30 Jan 2012, 12:42 (Ref:3018889)   #2513
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
From the Audi Motorsport Newsletter 03/2012
Quote:
Presentation in Paris: At a press conference on February 2 the ACO and FIA will present the new World Endurance Championship (WEC). Audi will be represented by factory driver Benoît Tréluyer and also displays the Audi R18 TDI with which the Frenchman and his team mates won the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 2011.
This sort of confirms that Tréluyer will do the WEC with Audi.
Old 30 Jan 2012, 13:03 (Ref:3018896)   #2514
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
So this means that we can probably expect Lotterer and Tréluyer in one R18 (more than likely on the Joest team) this year with McNish and Kristensen.

Of course, this doesn't answer any of the private team rumors, since Joest is only allowed technically to enter 3 cars at Le Mans (two highest finishers to score team/mfgr's points), and Audi is aiming for 4, and Audi Sport has apparently applied for 4 LM entries, split between 3 Joest/1 other or 2 Joest/2 other.
Old 30 Jan 2012, 13:31 (Ref:3018910)   #2515
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
hi gwyllion, thanks for confirming the motor-generator weight, mine was an approximation at 20Kg, but 45Kg is obviously a very heavy piece of kit!........I'm pretty sure the F1 KERS systems are in the region of 20-30Kg, it was a rough comparison in all honesty.......... but the point still stands, the williams flywheel system is one heavy mo-fo........it will be interesting to see how they all compare, for sure I cant see pug and Toyotas systems being anywhere near as heavy
http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2012/0...rs-development contains some details about the Mercedes KERS. The comment from a Zytek employee who worked on the project in 2009, is also interesting: http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2012/0.../#comment-4712

In 2009 the whole Mercedes solution (battery, motor and electronics) weighed 27 kg and in 2011 24 kg. In 2009 the batteries had to be replaced every 2 races (2400 km), but in 2011 the life time of the batteries was extended to 10000 km. The efficiency of solution (energy released vs energy harvested/stored) is 80%.

Last edited by gwyllion; 30 Jan 2012 at 13:54.
Old 30 Jan 2012, 13:35 (Ref:3018911)   #2516
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Of course, this doesn't answer any of the private team rumors, since Joest is only allowed technically to enter 3 cars at Le Mans (two highest finishers to score team/mfgr's points), and Audi is aiming for 4, and Audi Sport has apparently applied for 4 LM entries, split between 3 Joest/1 other or 2 Joest/2 other.
With Peugeot's withdrawal Audi might have decided to stick to 3 cars. Anyway on Thursday we will know more.
Old 1 Feb 2012, 23:31 (Ref:3020040)   #2517
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Two interesting comments from McNish on http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...nish-rolex-24/
Quote:
To some extent, I know there were a few people who were saying, "McNish and incidents" and things that happened last year and pointing fingers without necessarily knowing details. I think it was a good reminder that I'm still not a bad driver!
Quote:
Will I return? Nothing is set in stone, but there’s certainly a possibility that I would like to come back. But now, all of my focus is on chasing the World Endurance Championship, which kicks off next month at Sebring.
That confirms what we all expect: McNish will do WEC.
Old 2 Feb 2012, 09:18 (Ref:3020151)   #2518
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
It seems that the only thing that we need from Audi is a formal announcement for it's driver lineups, which may/may not come Thursday (technically today now), and it's fairly easy to bet that Allan and Tom will be in one car, and Ben and Andre will likely be in the other.

And what will happen with the car number deal? The ACO said that the ILMC championship winning team would get first crack at the numbers 1,2 and if they want it 3. But Peugeot has left the WEC, so does the ACO have have a contingency plan for number allocation? ILMC runner ups, LM winner, or not issue the numbers? This stems from 1999, where Porsche won the previous year but didn't run LM, and Toyota/TMG got numbers 1,2 and 3. But then again, Toyota and BMW ('99 winners) didn't run LM and no one ran the numbers 1,2 and 3 in 2000, and the same happened in '03-'06 after Joest, Bentley, Goh and Champion didn't return to LM after winning the previous years (though Champion ran #2 in '04 and '05 and #3 in '05).

Anyone think that Audi, even after this, have the numbers 7,8 and 9 reserved irregardless, as it seems to be a recent tradition to not reserved the #1,2 and 3 if the previous LM winners or what not abandon their LM plans, as well as the fact that the numbers 7, 8 and 9 (especially 7 and 8) have been good luck charms in the past for Joest?

And as far as Allan's comments, another admission that the R18's greenhouse was badly designed from a visibility standpoint on the original car? Remember that we saw the "old" McNish at Daytona...
Old 2 Feb 2012, 16:05 (Ref:3020416)   #2519
EverOne
Racer

Spain
Madrid
EverOne has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Official, Oliver Jarvis in LMP1 and 4 Audi R18's.
2 cars for Pescarolo,awesome news

Last edited by EverOne; 2 Feb 2012 at 16:17.
Old 2 Feb 2012, 16:06 (Ref:3020417)   #2520
ronnie peterson
Rookie

Turkey
Istanbul
ronnie peterson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
4 Audis confirmed for LM24. Two TDI, the other two Hybrid
Old 2 Feb 2012, 16:08 (Ref:3020422)   #2521
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Let me be the first to say OVERKILL. 4 cars is too much under current conditions.
Old 2 Feb 2012, 16:29 (Ref:3020451)   #2522
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well, there's always 5th place to go for - last year it looked like only 8th place......
Old 2 Feb 2012, 16:41 (Ref:3020468)   #2523
MihokS5
Racer

MihokS5 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Let me be the first to say OVERKILL. 4 cars is too much under current conditions.
I disagree. This is the perfect stage for testing new hybrid technology so why not run that many cars?
Now they can have 2 cars to push the newer technology and 2 standard R18's to run the race that they already know are reliable-
Old 2 Feb 2012, 16:45 (Ref:3020473)   #2524
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I would just like them to be completely free to race each other.....
Old 2 Feb 2012, 16:49 (Ref:3020476)   #2525
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
I agree, quite preposterous. Kills the chance for the privateers to get on the podium, with such little risk involved this year Audi could have raced two Hybrids and have one TDI as safe option.

Oh well, now they can celebrate a 1-2-3-4