Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 15 Mar 2011, 14:31 (Ref:2846193)   #1001
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Capello looks a bit shook !!!
Old 15 Mar 2011, 17:58 (Ref:2846353)   #1002
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Capello looks a bit shook !!!
He's just old and thinking of his sweet retirement
Old 19 Mar 2011, 13:11 (Ref:2848799)   #1003
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Interview with Ralf Jüttner: http://www.pitlane-vision.com/fils-d...sebring-r.html

They are not using the R18 at Sebring because the car is still in development and they only have a small stock of spare parts. Only after the race they will start producing them in larger quantities. The fact that the new rules were released very late, also did not help.

He believes that the open R15 will have an advantage in traffic. However he also pointed out that the new cars will have a better fuel consumption and hence will do more laps with one tank.
Old 21 Mar 2011, 07:57 (Ref:2850418)   #1004
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
How many laps did the R15 get at this last race before refueling? Does anyone know? If so, how did that compare to what the NEW 908 did? It seemed that HPD was pretty good with fuel economy as well.
Old 21 Mar 2011, 08:14 (Ref:2850421)   #1005
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
How many laps did the R15 get at this last race before refueling? Does anyone know? If so, how did that compare to what the NEW 908 did? It seemed that HPD was pretty good with fuel economy as well.
The new 908 was the best of the three, and i believe that it beat Audi with 1 or 2 laps (but this is only a gut feeling)
Old 21 Mar 2011, 12:12 (Ref:2850527)   #1006
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
All the cars--new or grandfathered, ran 20-22 lap stints depending on stategy and pace.

Of course, the newer cars (R18, 908) should get better mileage because of the smaller engines and being built around the rules rather than simply adapted.

And on Wind Tunnel last night, Wolfgang Ullrich was a guest on that show, and said that the R18 since Dec. has run well over 7000kms in testing and that they plan to test all week in Sebring (which was expected), and that he hopes that Audi can return to the ALMS as soon as 2012, presumably with R18s.

And on Speed Center, Calvin Fish reported that all last week a second team of drivers and mechanics have been testing at least one R18 at Miami-Homestead Speedway's oval and road course, and that the car and team would join the main Joest team by Saturday night following the 12 hours for a week of testing at Sebring starting today.
Old 21 Mar 2011, 12:28 (Ref:2850538)   #1007
Lola T70
Racer

Lola T70 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The R15 and new 908 were the same, old 908 was about 2 laps longer under green stints.
Old 21 Mar 2011, 13:17 (Ref:2850560)   #1008
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
First photo of the R18 at Sebring:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...242530&theater
Old 21 Mar 2011, 14:06 (Ref:2850588)   #1009
MihokS5
Racer

MihokS5 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
You can see in the photos from today that Audi has changed the angle of the shark fin. It no longer angles down, but instead goes straight back from the roof scoop and has a higher wing mount
Old 21 Mar 2011, 14:22 (Ref:2850601)   #1010
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
The wing height seems to be the same, but the position of the swan wing mount has indeed been raised. Compare Sebring with debut version.

Behind the front wheel things have also changed. The brake cooling has been split in 2. Under the TAG logo they are using kevlar (yellow/white) instead of regular (black) carbon fibre. See side view of debut version.

Last edited by gwyllion; 21 Mar 2011 at 14:29.
Old 21 Mar 2011, 14:43 (Ref:2850614)   #1011
MihokS5
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
The wing height seems to be the same, but the position of the swan wing mount has indeed been raised. Compare Sebring with debut version.

Behind the front wheel things have also changed. The brake cooling has been split in 2. Under the TAG logo they are using kevlar (yellow/white) instead of regular (black) carbon fibre. See side view of debut version.
The swan wing has been raised because the shark fin comes back at a straight angle instead of angling down like before.

But you're right-the wing itself appears to be the same height
Old 21 Mar 2011, 14:45 (Ref:2850618)   #1012
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
arakis has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
is it finaly know weather audi is using an inside V single turbo or not?
To launch a new FIA GT2 category based on strict technical rules, with limited wavers and ‘balance of performance' limited to success ballast. A category where GT manufacturers will prove through competition they can produce the best road going GT car.
Old 21 Mar 2011, 14:49 (Ref:2850619)   #1013
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
I never said you were wrong

I wonder if this change was made on the request of the ACO, perhaps because they want to fin to be straight, or because of performance reasons. The orginal fin has less aero, so it was probably less sensible to cross winds.
Old 21 Mar 2011, 14:50 (Ref:2850620)   #1014
MihokS5
Racer

Quote:
I never said you were wrong

I wonder if this change was made on the request of the ACO, perhaps because they want to fin to be straight, or because of performance reasons. The orginal fin has less aero, so it was probably less sensible to cross winds.
Sorry gwyllion, I didn't mean to imply you doubting me
Old 21 Mar 2011, 14:57 (Ref:2850622)   #1015
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by arakis View Post
is it finaly know weather audi is using an inside V single turbo or not?
This has not been confirmed officially, but I see little reason to doubt the rumors. The car only has one central exhaust.

On the pictures of the previous Sebring test they were using one dive plane: http://www.mulsannescorner.com/AudiR...ting2011-1.jpg This time they are not.

I also noticed that there is no number on the side of the car.

I hope that George Achorn will put more pictures on online, preferrably some shots of the front.
Old 21 Mar 2011, 15:05 (Ref:2850627)   #1016
MihokS5
Racer

Quote:
This has not been confirmed officially, but I see little reason to doubt the rumors. The car only has one central exhaust.

On the pictures of the previous Sebring test they were using one dive plane: http://www.mulsannescorner.com/AudiR...ting2011-1.jpg This time they are not.

I hope that George Achorn will put more pictures on online, preferrably some shots of the front.
George will have a full photoshoot and videos up later today
Old 21 Mar 2011, 15:09 (Ref:2850630)   #1017
MihokS5
Racer

Quote:

pardon my ignorance, but which dive plane are you referring to? The car there today appears to have them and they look larger. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong thing
Old 21 Mar 2011, 15:12 (Ref:2850632)   #1018
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
My mistake. The single dive plane is still there...
Old 21 Mar 2011, 15:37 (Ref:2850644)   #1019
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
There seems to be a detachable panel on the side of the rear fender extension and maybe a change to the rear fender flourish.

Also seems that the diveplane has a longer overhang compared to the earlier version and has a detatchable supporting stay.
Old 21 Mar 2011, 15:51 (Ref:2850657)   #1020
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
There seems to be a detachable panel on the side of the rear fender extension and maybe a change to the rear fender flourish.
From the side it looks identical to the launch version: http://www.mulsannescorner.com/AudiR18debut-5.jpg

Another detail I noticed, is that they seems to be using reflective or white tape on the top of the car, probably to keep the temperature inside cockpit a bit lower.

BTW the quality of those iphone pictures is low. Lets hope George can take some higher resolution pictures of the car as well.
Old 21 Mar 2011, 16:55 (Ref:2850684)   #1021
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
I definently see screws or something there on that section of the engine cover in that photo. There's some dotted line there.

Also, even compared to the original tab diveplane, the new diveplane seems to be simply huge! I wonder if this is a planned LM component or if Audi may have something else for the sprint races.

I myself join you in hoping that George, as well as Mike, Marshall and John (if they're still on site or near by) can get some shots and video that's in good quality.

Last edited by chernaudi; 21 Mar 2011 at 17:12.
Old 21 Mar 2011, 17:20 (Ref:2850696)   #1022
BMWHog
Rookie

BMWHog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
All the cars--new or grandfathered, ran 20-22 lap stints depending on stategy and pace.

Of course, the newer cars (R18, 908) should get better mileage because of the smaller engines and being built around the rules rather than simply adapted.

And on Wind Tunnel last night, Wolfgang Ullrich was a guest on that show, and said that the R18 since Dec. has run well over 7000kms in testing and that they plan to test all week in Sebring (which was expected), and that he hopes that Audi can return to the ALMS as soon as 2012, presumably with R18s.

And on Speed Center, Calvin Fish reported that all last week a second team of drivers and mechanics have been testing at least one R18 at Miami-Homestead Speedway's oval and road course, and that the car and team would join the main Joest team by Saturday night following the 12 hours for a week of testing at Sebring starting today.
Well this is completely wrong. I dont know where this figure came from. The Audis were doing 25 laps and the HPD was doing 26 laps pushing on 27. The peugeots(new and old) were doing 24-25 laps.

Quote:
I believe i answered you question
Old 21 Mar 2011, 17:23 (Ref:2850697)   #1023
BMWHog
Rookie

BMWHog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
The new 908 was the best of the three, and i believe that it beat Audi with 1 or 2 laps (but this is only a gut feeling)
as stated above. The new 908 was not the best actually. The HPD was the best(less power). The HPD won the michelin green challenge on fuel and tires conservation.
Old 21 Mar 2011, 19:41 (Ref:2850758)   #1024
EverOne
Racer

Spain
Madrid
EverOne has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i don't understand, the R18 are in Sebring today?

EDIT: oh my god, why didn't race this weekend?

Fortitude post a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOqsP...layer_embedded
Old 21 Mar 2011, 20:03 (Ref:2850764)   #1025
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverOne View Post
i don't understand, the R18 are in Sebring today?

EDIT: oh my god, why didn't race this weekend?
Not enough spares.