Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Closed Thread

Old 26 Dec 2013, 14:48 (Ref:3348019)   #1251
Thaw Daggerslash
Racer

Thaw Daggerslash should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passo View Post
Rob Austin, never knowingly underselling:
"Hold on to your hats guys, have we ever got a groundbreaking offer for you, the like of which has never been seen or heard of in the BTCC!! Keep your eyes and ears peeled, news soon on how you can be a part of RAR!!"
Has he suddenly turned into Chris James/Tony Gilham?
Old 26 Dec 2013, 14:59 (Ref:3348021)   #1252
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirror images View Post
I win for getting it right before hand. Do I get a prize??
Well done. Yes you've won two prizes actually - a big stand and a long weight. If you pop around to Pershore tomorrow, Rob Austin said he'd be happy to allow you have them both at the same time
Old 26 Dec 2013, 15:52 (Ref:3348029)   #1253
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Wow. Get your photo on the car, presumably the roof. So it's visible to nobody except the people on the garage roofs at Rockingham.
Old 26 Dec 2013, 17:36 (Ref:3348037)   #1254
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Was gonna post something interesting about this scheme... but decided not to bother. I do feel Rob needs to seriously think again about the whole thing however.

Last edited by davyboy; 26 Dec 2013 at 17:46.
Old 26 Dec 2013, 17:55 (Ref:3348039)   #1255
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Do you think it doesn't have any long term potential and is just a one season wonder like similar programmes?
Old 26 Dec 2013, 18:23 (Ref:3348040)   #1256
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
Do you think it doesn't have any long term potential and is just a one season wonder like similar programmes?
Not even that... there's an awful lot missing from the web site. If I were Rob's accountant/lawyer I'd have him pull the site immediately and only put it back up when the full details, including the risks prospective shareholders could be exposed to, are clearly explained.
Old 26 Dec 2013, 19:12 (Ref:3348048)   #1257
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
Not even that... there's an awful lot missing from the web site. If I were Rob's accountant/lawyer I'd have him pull the site immediately and only put it back up when the full details, including the risks prospective shareholders could be exposed to, are clearly explained.
maybe because the amount of money is so low nobody will bother with lawyers and trial if they get cheated somehow
Old 26 Dec 2013, 19:56 (Ref:3348053)   #1258
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
I can't see the "shares" being worth anything beyond one season, and I can't believe he's managed to get this past HMRC to get the "investment" to qualify for tax relief. It's not really an investment in the team, it's a one-off funding exercise.
Old 27 Dec 2013, 01:22 (Ref:3348084)   #1259
Passo
Rookie

United Kingdom
Passo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could have done a Kickstarter campaign (unless there are some specific UK laws about what you can and can't crowd fund) - would have been more transparent and would have probably attracted quite a few non-BTCC publication headlines for being a unique way of funding a race season.

As it is, I'm sure it'll provide a few thousand for the bank balance but in the long term I do wonder what sort of issues there'll be if people want to sell their "shares" (if they even can).

Title sponsor will be required sharpish.
Old 27 Dec 2013, 08:20 (Ref:3348097)   #1260
Subaru_WRX_STi
Veteran

Tunisia
Ariana, Tunisia
Subaru_WRX_STi has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Rotek Racing and Robb Holland with factory built Audi cars everywhere. They won with a TT RS in America (with Rob Huff), they will field an R8 LMS ultra and an A4 at Bathurst. So, their Audi A3 NGTC could have a support from Audi UK?
Old 27 Dec 2013, 09:15 (Ref:3348109)   #1261
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
I can't see the "shares" being worth anything beyond one season, and I can't believe he's managed to get this past HMRC to get the "investment" to qualify for tax relief. It's not really an investment in the team, it's a one-off funding exercise.
One of the things Rob forgot to mention is that Rob Austin Racing Limited must be a proper trading entity and this is something HMRC will scrutinize carefully. He also forgot to mention that HMRC will reclaim all tax relief given under this scheme to investors if the limited company ceases within three years.

... there is one other [possibly serious] thing he forgot to mention. In the UK, I believe it's against the law to offer shares in a private limited company to the general public. Only PLCs can do that... and establishing and listing a PLC through an IPO is quite an involved process. Justin Wilson did something along these lines a few years ago.

... as I said, Rob would be well advised to take this site down right now.
Old 27 Dec 2013, 09:44 (Ref:3348114)   #1262
BtccLee
Veteran

BtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Judging by Twitter and Facebook people have already brought shares in the team under this scheme. I hate to say this but there may be trouble ahead for RAR after this...
Old 27 Dec 2013, 11:10 (Ref:3348125)   #1263
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru_WRX_STi View Post
Rotek Racing and Robb Holland with factory built Audi cars everywhere. They won with a TT RS in America (with Rob Huff), they will field an R8 LMS ultra and an A4 at Bathurst. So, their Audi A3 NGTC could have a support from Audi UK?
Rotek Racing do have a stronger link with Audi, but that doesn't mean they'll qualify for any support from Audi UK. Audi have often said they won't support cars that don't have their technology in them, and NGTC by its very nature makes the car completely "Audi-less" bar the engine.

The one big difference the Rotek car has is that it is front-wheel drive though, whereas RAR's car is rear-wheel drive, not a configuration that Audi actually sell.
Old 27 Dec 2013, 11:27 (Ref:3348131)   #1264
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Quote:
Originally Posted by BtccLee View Post
Judging by Twitter and Facebook people have already brought shares in the team under this scheme. I hate to say this but there may be trouble ahead for RAR after this...
Gullible sheep I'm afraid to say.
Old 27 Dec 2013, 12:16 (Ref:3348136)   #1265
Subaru_WRX_STi
Veteran

Tunisia
Ariana, Tunisia
Subaru_WRX_STi has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
Rotek Racing do have a stronger link with Audi, but that doesn't mean they'll qualify for any support from Audi UK. Audi have often said they won't support cars that don't have their technology in them, and NGTC by its very nature makes the car completely "Audi-less" bar the engine.

The one big difference the Rotek car has is that it is front-wheel drive though, whereas RAR's car is rear-wheel drive, not a configuration that Audi actually sell.
Yeah you're right. A friend from audifans.net asked two years ago a top guy at Audi UK about Rob Austin effort. His answer was clear "We only support factory cars made by Audi Motorsport and we will never support a RWD machine"
Old 27 Dec 2013, 15:04 (Ref:3348155)   #1266
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
JoestForEver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunately A5 DTM is a rear wheel drive machine ;-). Besides,I do remember that once upon a time Rotek wears the badge of Audi Sport UK
Old 27 Dec 2013, 15:06 (Ref:3348156)   #1267
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
Sorry it was Arena rather than Rotek
Old 27 Dec 2013, 16:46 (Ref:3348170)   #1268
auroan
Veteran

auroan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoestForEver View Post
Unfortunately A5 DTM is a rear wheel drive machine ;-). Besides,I do remember that once upon a time Rotek wears the badge of Audi Sport UK
As well as the R8 LMS
Old 27 Dec 2013, 17:30 (Ref:3348173)   #1269
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
One of the things Rob forgot to mention is that Rob Austin Racing Limited must be a proper trading entity and this is something HMRC will scrutinize carefully. He also forgot to mention that HMRC will reclaim all tax relief given under this scheme to investors if the limited company ceases within three years.

... there is one other [possibly serious] thing he forgot to mention. In the UK, I believe it's against the law to offer shares in a private limited company to the general public. Only PLCs can do that... and establishing and listing a PLC through an IPO is quite an involved process. Justin Wilson did something along these lines a few years ago.

... as I said, Rob would be well advised to take this site down right now.
This new company is being funded under the Enterprise Investment Scheme it is a HMRC endorsed scheme, and 'is designed to help smaller higher-risk trading companies to raise finance by offering a range of tax reliefs to investors who purchase new shares in those companies'.

While the choice to invest is down to the individual, there is nothing wrong with Rob proceeding in this manner.
Old 27 Dec 2013, 17:33 (Ref:3348175)   #1270
BtccLee
Veteran

BtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
This new company is being funded under the Enterprise Investment Scheme it is a HMRC endorsed scheme, and 'is designed to help smaller higher-risk trading companies to raise finance by offering a range of tax reliefs to investors who purchase new shares in those companies'.

While the choice to invest is down to the individual, there is nothing wrong with Rob proceeding in this manner.
And judging by social network sites it is working a treat...
Old 27 Dec 2013, 19:03 (Ref:3348188)   #1271
CM388
Racer

CM388 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As well as the fact that Rob had to (and did) get clearance from HMRC to register under the scheme - and their application processes are usually pretty bl**dy thorough!
Old 28 Dec 2013, 17:12 (Ref:3348349)   #1272
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by auroan View Post
As well as the R8 LMS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoestForEver
Unfortunately A5 DTM is a rear wheel drive machine ;-).
Fair points. I suspect the context of the Audi quote is what's missing.

The R8 is a rear-wheel drive car, but the A4 isn't - so it's a non-standard configuration, not a product Audi are promoting.

And the DTM is also a series of prototype racing cars, not production based touring cars, so again, the DTM RS 5 is in a slightly different scenario to the BTCC one.
Old 29 Dec 2013, 05:00 (Ref:3348489)   #1273
EastonNeston
Veteran

EastonNeston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Audi's marketing, and sponsorship, is very cleverly designed & targeted to present the Audi brand in the best possible light to the market sector that gives them the best sales.
Obviously they have decided that been involved with the btcc doesn't fit in with their current marketing strategy. That could be for a number of reasons, including market demographics, the suitability of the series & the regulations, or indeed the standard & professionalism of the teams using Audi products.
Old 29 Dec 2013, 11:58 (Ref:3348541)   #1274
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
Wonder if WSR BMW 125i cars enjoy factory support or not, since Turkington did some showcase drive of M3 DTM and M1 for BMW this season.
Old 29 Dec 2013, 12:33 (Ref:3348551)   #1275
EastonNeston
Veteran

EastonNeston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WSR are considered to be part of the 'BMW Family', so even if there is no 'official' BMW backing, they are treated in a favourable way.
Closed Thread