Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 26 Jan 2010, 23:04 (Ref:2620017)   #1
Jesper OH
Veteran

Jesper OH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1990 Esso RAC British Touring Car Championship - Discussion and results

The final year of Group A (above 3000 cc) and what would become the 1990s Super Touring 2 litre cars in their first year.

Opened on request, but if there's some burning information out there, please enter.

Jesper
Old 27 Jan 2010, 09:55 (Ref:2620202)   #2
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesper OH View Post
The final year of Group A (above 3000 cc) and what would become the 1990s Super Touring 2 litre cars in their first year.

Opened on request, but if there's some burning information out there, please enter.

Jesper
Jesper- I've got most of the results for 1990, though a few are partial, so I could kick that one off later- don't have time now
Old 27 Jan 2010, 20:10 (Ref:2620546)   #3
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
As 1989 is well under way, and Jesper has started the thread, I'll get this one rolling. I'll post some results later tonight, but for now I'll do a quick overview of the season entry

As Jesper said, 1990 was the first stage of transition from Group A to the new 2-litre regs that became Supertouring. The 'big' class over 3000cc Group A cars stayed for one final fling, but the remaining three classes were swept away to be replaced by a single new 2-litre class. At this stage, the cars looked very much like their Group A predecessors- in fact, some of the M3s would have been existing cars converted to the new engine regs.

Class A- All RS500 this year- the Maserati project having been abandoned at the end of '89. The Sierras were fewer in number this year, but the 'big four' teams, Rouse, Trakstar, Graham Goode, and the Rouse-run Team Labatt's were still present with a pair of cars each.

The Kaliber sponsorship deal had ended, and Rouse was back in ICS colours. Team-mate would be Sean Walker, moving over from running a third Goode car, and bringing his regular FAI Automotive sponsorship

Graham Goode reverted to running just a pair of cars, otherwise nothing else changed- Goode and Mike Newman, with Listerine sponsorship again in what would turn out to be the final BTCC season as drivers for both- Mike missing several races mid-season, and Andy Middlehurst stepping in for one of them.

The Bristow/Harvey/Team Labatt's combination continued unchanged, apart from a new paintjob, the cars carrying a prominent 'Don't Drink & Drive' message

Trakstar also continued with the same driver pairing- Gravett and Smith, but the cars would look very different to 1989. The Cartel/NEC backing from '89 had gone- and there was no title sponsor to replace it. Robb Gravett starting the season in a pristine white (a new car I think?) RS500, with only a few Shell decals. Smith wouldn't appear until round 2- and then his car wore the previous year's red and white paintscheme, but with no more sponsorship than Robb's. Moreover, for his debut at the Donington 1-hour race, Mike was sharing with Graham Hathaway- the car's new owner. Hathaway would continue to run the ex-Trakstar car himself, but the next time we'd see Smith in an RS500 would be Silverstone- in July...This was a far cry from 1989's well-funded effort, with various one-off sponsors appearing from time to time- Qubie Computers,Champion, Dianetics...Ford Credit stepped in late season. Fortunately, although the team's finances were uncertain, the car was as effective as it had been in '89

That was it for regular Sierras- Graham Hathaway did about half a season in his ex-Trakstar car, as did Dennis Leech in his new RS500 (sadly in plain white, rather than the distinctive black and dayglo orange of his Rover)

The others the others were occasional visitors, only doing a few races. Dave Brodie did a few rounds in the second half of the year, ), Italian Amato Ferrari visited a couple of times with a car run by F3000 team Crypton Engineering, and Stuart Donnan appeared once
Old 27 Jan 2010, 20:35 (Ref:2620565)   #4
KA
Veteran

To some extent, the 'brave new world' of the 2-litre class didn't look much different to the old, with lots of BMW M3s
Prodrive were back with a pair of cars, the team led by Frank Sytner. There was a big change in the other car though- James Weaver replaced by a trio of youngsters from single-seater backgrounds- Kurt Luby, Kelvin Burt and Tim Sugden
The M3 proved a popular choice for the 2-litre privateer.
BMW dealers Godfrey Hall, John Clark and Nick Whale joined forces to run a trio of cars under the Pyramid Motorsport banner.
Ian Forrest returned, as part of a two-car Ecosse Motorsport effort. The second car would be handled by several different drivers, Hugh Chalmers being the most regular occupant, but rallyman Jimmy McRae appeared a few times
Jerry Mahony stepped down from the Sierra class to drive BRR Motorsports M3 in Arquati colours, but quit about halfway through the season- Ian Flux would take the car over at the end of the year.
Nettan Lindgren continued to make the trip from Sweden, doing most of the season
Not all of the BMWs were M3s though- Techspeed fielded a 318iS for Nick Baird, but never quite got to grips with it.

There were new cars other than BMWs though...

Reigning champions John Cleland and Vauxhall were back, the successful Astras replaced by a Cavalier GSi built to the new rules. A second car appeared from time to time, (including some unsuccessful experiments with rwd). Chris Hodgetts was the most regular pilot, but Bob Berridge, Markus Oestreich all had at least one appearance, as did a young Formula Vauxhall Lotus driver by the name of David Coulthard. His immediate future wasn't going to be the BTCC though...

Andy Rouse stuck with Ford for his first try at the new regs, with a 4-door Sierra Sapphire for ex-sportscar racer Ray Bellm. The car proved troublesome, and a disillusioned Bellm quit before the end of the year, having missed a number of races. Chris Hodgetts had a couple of runs in the car at the end of the season

Mitsubishi were back, with a non-turbo Starion for journalist & racer Mark Hales. Sponsorship and tyres came from Firestone, though at the start of the year, not all would be as it seemed in the tyre department....

After his success with the Honda Civic the previous year, Ray Armes was back with a new Trakstar-run 4-door Civic, again with PG Tags sponsorship. The car would prove much less successful though, firmly rooted to the foot of the timesheets all season, not helped by engine development delays forcing them to use the 1600cc engine from the original car in the early races....

Finally, privateer Jeff Wilson went the Vauxhall route- not a Cavalier though, but the Astra-based 4-door Belmont saloon. It was a low-budget effort, and off-the-pace when it finally appeared at the end of the year

The calendar was pretty much as before, although the early-season Donington 1-hour/2-driver race would be joined by a second one at Brands later in the year

First results to follow later
Old 27 Jan 2010, 20:38 (Ref:2620569)   #5
bigears
Racer

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
bigears should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Graham Hathway entered his Ford Sierra RS500 for the Birmingham round but never took part in the qualifying sessions.

Same goes to Ray Bellm with his Ford Sierra Sapphire and Jerry Mahony with his BMW M3.
Old 27 Jan 2010, 21:00 (Ref:2620580)   #6
Jesper OH
Veteran

Thank you, KA, for a very proper introduction.

I have to add the presence of Vic Lee as an entrant of a converted Bigazzi Group A BMW M3 for BTCC returnee Jeff Allam, who would be one of the leading lights of the season.

Like your description of the Mitsubishi tyre deal ..and early rubber situation

Jesper
Old 27 Jan 2010, 22:38 (Ref:2620652)   #7
KA
Veteran

Quote:
Thank you, KA, for a very proper introduction.

I have to add the presence of Vic Lee as an entrant of a converted Bigazzi Group A BMW M3 for BTCC returnee Jeff Allam, who would be one of the leading lights of the season.

Like your description of the Mitsubishi tyre deal ..and early rubber situation

Jesper
Yes, I realised I'd forgotten the Vic Lee Motorsport M3 just after I'd gone out... Quite a significant entry to miss out bearing in mind the impact Lee was going to have on the BTCC over the next few years...
Old 27 Jan 2010, 23:07 (Ref:2620671)   #8
Jesper OH
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
Yes, I realised I'd forgotten the Vic Lee Motorsport M3 just after I'd gone out... Quite a significant entry to miss out bearing in mind the impact Lee was going to have on the BTCC over the next few years...
But the team did miss the opening round, right?

Jesper
Old 28 Jan 2010, 00:16 (Ref:2620696)   #9
KA
Veteran

Quote:
But the team did miss the opening round, right?

Jesper
Debuted Round 3 at Thruxton
Old 28 Jan 2010, 00:40 (Ref:2620706)   #10
KA
Veteran

1990 BTCC Round 1: Oulton Park, 13 April 1990. xx Laps
Pos.Cl.#DriverTeam/sponsorCat.CarGrid.TimeFastest lapLapsTimeNotes
1.1.1Andy RouseRouse/ICSAFord Sierra RS500 Cosworth      
2.2.5Mike NewmanGoode/ListerineAFord Sierra RS500 Cosworth      
3.3.10Lawrence BristowRouse/Team LabattsAFord Sierra RS500 Cosworth      
4.4.3Tim HarveyRouse/Team LabattsAFord Sierra RS500 Cosworth      

12.?11Robb GravettTrakstarAFord Sierra RS500 Cosworth      

?.1.56Kelvin BurtProdrive/BMW Finance+Mobil 1BBMW M3      
?.2.55Frank SytnerProdrive/BMW Finance+Mobil 1BBMW M3      

DNS.DNS77Godfrey HallPyramid MotorsportBBMW M3      

Old 28 Jan 2010, 09:46 (Ref:2620869)   #11
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
As 1989 is well under way, and Jesper has started the thread, I'll get this one rolling. I'll post some results later tonight, but for now I'll do a quick overview of the season entry

As Jesper said, 1990 was the first stage of transition from Group A to the new 2-litre regs that became Supertouring. The 'big' class over 3000cc Group A cars stayed for one final fling, but the remaining three classes were swept away to be replaced by a single new 2-litre class. At this stage, the cars looked very much like their Group A predecessors- in fact, some of the M3s would have been existing cars converted to the new engine regs.

Class A- All RS500 this year- the Maserati project having been abandoned at the end of '89. The Sierras were fewer in number this year, but the 'big four' teams, Rouse, Trakstar, Graham Goode, and the Rouse-run Team Labatt's were still present with a pair of cars each.

The Kaliber sponsorship deal had ended, and Rouse was back in ICS colours. Team-mate would be Sean Walker, moving over from running a third Goode car, and bringing his regular FAI Automotive sponsorship

Graham Goode reverted to running just a pair of cars, otherwise nothing else changed- Goode and Mike Newman, with Listerine sponsorship again in what would turn out to be the final BTCC season as drivers for both- Mike missing several races mid-season, and Andy Middlehurst stepping in for one of them.

The Bristow/Harvey/Team Labatt's combination continued unchanged, apart from a new paintjob, the cars carrying a prominent 'Don't Drink & Drive' message

Trakstar also continued with the same driver pairing- Gravett and Smith, but the cars would look very different to 1989. The Cartel/NEC backing from '89 had gone- and there was no title sponsor to replace it. Robb Gravett starting the season in a pristine white (a new car I think?) RS500, with only a few Shell decals. Smith wouldn't appear until round 2- and then his car wore the previous year's red and white paintscheme, but with no more sponsorship than Robb's. Moreover, for his debut at the Donington 1-hour race, Mike was sharing with Graham Hathaway- the car's new owner. Hathaway would continue to run the ex-Trakstar car himself, but the next time we'd see Smith in an RS500 would be Silverstone- in July...This was a far cry from 1989's well-funded effort, with various one-off sponsors appearing from time to time- Qubie Computers,Champion, Dianetics...Ford Credit stepped in late season. Fortunately, although the team's finances were uncertain, the car was as effective as it had been in '89

That was it for regular Sierras- Graham Hathaway did about half a season in his ex-Trakstar car, as did Dennis Leech in his new RS500 (sadly in plain white, rather than the distinctive black and dayglo orange of his Rover)

The others the others were occasional visitors, only doing a few races. Dave Brodie did a few rounds in the second half of the year, ), Italian Amato Ferrari visited a couple of times with a car run by F3000 team Crypton Engineering, and Stuart Donnan appeared once
Just to be strictly pedantic here. Mike Newman started the year without sponsorship, running the car in plain black (and a "Mad Mike" sunstrip in reference to a televiesd comment from Dave Brodie!), his Listerine sponsorship re-appeared later in the season...
Old 28 Jan 2010, 11:48 (Ref:2620947)   #12
KA
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Just to be strictly pedantic here. Mike Newman started the year without sponsorship, running the car in plain black (and a "Mad Mike" sunstrip in reference to a televiesd comment from Dave Brodie!), his Listerine sponsorship re-appeared later in the season...
Thanks- I'd completely forgotten about that! Now you mention it, I half-remember the bit about Brodie's comments- wasn't it from a bit of pre-race interview for the BBC, something like 'We've got Mad Mike Newman on the front row, so anything could happen?'
Old 28 Jan 2010, 12:02 (Ref:2620954)   #13
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Thanks- I'd completely forgotten about that! Now you mention it, I half-remember the bit about Brodie's comments- wasn't it from a bit of pre-race interview for the BBC, something like 'We've got Mad Mike Newman on the front row, so anything could happen?'
That's right KA. I can't remember it word-for-word, but something very close to what you remember I'm sure.
Old 29 Jan 2010, 16:47 (Ref:2621789)   #14
BILTEL
Racer

England
Brackley, centre of the Earth
BILTEL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
That's right KA. I can't remember it word-for-word, but something very close to what you remember I'm sure.
Same here, it sounds right. Dave didn't have many good words to say about his fellow racers that year did he?

I know where the Starion is and the owner gets on here from time to time.

Last edited by BILTEL; 29 Jan 2010 at 16:58.
ex Starion #20
Now building BMW 535i
for the 360, CTCRC Pre 93's
Old 29 Jan 2010, 16:58 (Ref:2621796)   #15
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by BILTEL View Post
Same here, it sounds right. Dave didn't have many good words to say about his fellow racers that year did he?

I know where the Starion is and the owner gets on here form time to time.
He probably had a part-time job as a youngster keeping the local church clock going. He's certainly an entertaining wind-up merchant!
Old 29 Jan 2010, 20:56 (Ref:2621960)   #16
Jesper OH
Veteran

Quote:
1990 BTCC Round 1: Oulton Park, 13 April 1990. xx Laps
1.1.1Andy RouseRouse/ICSAFord Sierra RS500 Cosworth      
2.2.5Mike NewmanGoode/ListerineAFord Sierra RS500 Cosworth      
3.3.10Lawrence BristowRouse/Team LabattsAFord Sierra RS500 Cosworth      
4.4.3Tim HarveyRouse/Team LabattsAFord Sierra RS500 Cosworth      
5?.1.56Kelvin BurtProdrive/BMW Finance+Mobil 1BBMW M3      
6?.2.55Frank SytnerProdrive/BMW Finance+Mobil 1BBMW M3      
7.?3.50John ClelandCookBVauxhall Cavalier GSi      
8.?4.90Nettan LindgrenLindgrenBBMW M3      
9.?5.52Ian ForrestEcosseBBMW M3      
10.?6.51Ray BellmRouseBFord Sierra Sapphire      
11.?7.57Nick BairdTechspeedBBMW 318iS      
12.5.11Robb GravettTrakstarAFord Sierra RS500 Cosworth      

DNS.DNS77Godfrey HallPyramid MotorsportBBMW M3      

A few updates from old paper notes tranferred to pc - with all the danger of in-accurasy and false transcripts. No Autosport for that round, sorry.

Seing that Frank Sytner was beaten by young teammate Kelvin Burt, I wonder if the thought of "Oh no, not again!" wondered through his head.

Jesper
Old 30 Jan 2010, 13:13 (Ref:2622244)   #17
KA
Veteran

Round 2- Donington, 29 April 1990. 1 hour duration = 35 laps

the 1-hour/2-driver race at Donington seemed to be becoming a tradition- indeed we'd have a second one late-season at Brands. Sadly, this would be the last season they'd feature

1.1.1Andy Rouse/David SearsRouse/ICSAFord Sierra RS500 Cosworth31m39.75 35 laps1h00m21.934 
2.2.11Robb Gravett/Stig BlomqvistTrakstarAFord Sierra RS500 Cosworth11m38.591m41.2735 laps1h00m31.35 
3.3.10Lawrence Bristow/Tomas MezeraRouse/Team LabattsAFord Sierra RS500 Cosworth51m40.86 35 laps1h00m57.37 
4.4.4Sean Walker/Ian FluxRouse/FAI AutomotiveAFord Sierra RS500 Cosworth41m40.56 35 laps1h01m05.90 
5.5.15Graham Goode/Mike NewmanGoode/ListerineAFord Sierra RS500 Cosworth61m42.65 34 laps  
6.1.55Frank Sytner/Kurt LubyProdrive/BMW Finance+Mobil 1BBMW M381m45.081m45.7034 laps  
7.2.77Godfrey Hall/David LesliePyramid Motorsport/Gemini Car AlarmsBBMW M3121m46.34 34 laps  
8.3.66Nick Whale/Gerrit van KouwenPyramid Motorsport/Mobil Super PlusBBMW M3151m48.04 33 laps  
9.4.90Nettan Lindgren/Per-Gunnar AnderssonNettan LindgrenBBMW M3111m46.15 33 laps  
10.5.53Hugh Chalmers/Jimmy McRaeEcosse Motorsport/MF IndustrialBBMW M3141m48.00 33 laps  
11.6.59Jerry Mahony/Robbie StirlingBRR Motorsport/ArquatiBBMW M3171m48.74 32 laps  
12.7.100Ray Armes/Jeremy RossiterTrakstar/PG Tags RacingBHonda Civic 1.6201m54.74 31 laps  
NCFNCF57Nick Baird/David CarvellTechspeed MotorsportBBMW 318iS181m49.19 29 laps  

DNFDNF51Ray Bellm/James SheadRouse/Hawaiian TropicBFord Sierra Sapphire161m48.54 26 laps- engine  
DNFDNF56Kurt Luby/Kelvin BurtProdrive/BMW Finance+ Mobil 1BBMW M3101m46.06 23 laps-accident  
DNFDNF52Ian Forrest/Bernard HunterEcosse Motorsport/DrambuieBBMW M3131m47.28 21 laps- engine  
DNFDNF60Mark Hales/Graham ScarboroughJohn Maguire/Firestone+HaysBMitsubishi Starion191m51.85 17 laps-gearbox  
DNFDNF50John Cleland/ChrisHodgettsDCRS/Vauxhall Dealer SportBVauxhall Cavalier GSi91m45.09 12 laps- driveshaft  
DNFDNF3Tim Harvey/Slim BorguddRouse/Team LabattsAFord Sierra RS500 Cosworth21m38.39 11 laps-head gasket  
DNFDNF12Mike Smith/Graham HathawayTrakstarAFord Sierra RS50071m41.23 0 laps- accident  

Mike Smith sharing the second Trakstar car with new owner Graham Hathaway went off on the first lap, while Gravett, partnered by rally legend Stig Blomqvist looked set for the win from Rouse/Sears- until Stig dropped it with a spin at Goddards on the last lap, David Sears passing him to take the win for Rouse

Only a single car for Graham Goode here- Mike Newman sharing Goode's Listerine car.

The PG Tags Honda was still running with the 1600cc engine from the 1989 car, as the 2-litre engine wasn't ready

Prodrive curiously only had three drivers present- Kurt Luby sharing with both Sytner and Kelvin Burt- was there any reason for this, possiby Tim Sugden having a clashing commitment?

Tyres were an issue for the Starion of Mark Hales, as I hinted at the beginning of the thread. The Firestone-sponsored team had actually started the season at Oulton on Dunlops as the proper Firestones weren't ready in time... The manufacturers name being buffed out of the sidewall, and Firestone's 'Firehawk' brand name painted in it's place....

Photographic proof by Alan Cox, who told the story on the Autosport forum- a partially buffed out Dunlop 'D' symbol is just visible at the bottom of the tyre
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...lesStarion.jpg
Anyone know if the Starion was on the right rubber by Donington?

Quite a strong Swedish presence on the entry, regular visitor Nettan Lindgren joined by Peggen Andersson in her car, Blomqvist in the Gravett Sierra, and Slim Borgudd joining Tim Harvey at Labatts.
Blomqvist wasn't the only rally driver here, Jimmy McRae having the first(?) of several outings in the yellow Hugh Chalmers M3

Last edited by KA; 30 Jan 2010 at 13:23.
Old 30 Jan 2010, 14:03 (Ref:2622258)   #18
KA
Veteran

Round 3- Thruxton, 28 May 1990. ?? laps

1.1.11Robb GravettTrakstarAFord Sierra RS500 Cosworth11m19.861m21.51 27m27.85 
2.2.3Tim HarveyRouse/Team LabattsAFord Sierra RS500 Cosworth31m20.31  27m29.31 
3.3.14Graham HathawayGraham Hathaway RacingAFord Sierra RS500 Cosworth81m22.62  27m46.60 
4.4.10Lawrence BristowRouse/Team LabattsAFord Sierra RS500 Cosworth51m21.27  27m46.81 
5.5.4Sean WalkerRouse/FAI AutomotiveAFord Sierra RS500 Cosworth61m21.76  27m47.16 
6.6.15Graham Goode/Mike NewmanGoode/ListerineAFord Sierra RS500 Cosworth71m22.05  28m28.71 
7.1.50John ClelandDCRS/Vauxhall Dealer SportBVauxhall Cavalier GSi91m22.911m24.25 28m34.50 
8.2.99Jeff AllamVic Lee Motorsport/Auto Audio + Whitehouse BMWBBMW M3101m23.90  28m39.23 
9.3.55Frank SytnerProdrive/BMW Finance + Mobil 1BBMW M3111m24.55  28m44.03 
10.7.1Andy RouseRouse/ICSAFord Sierra RS500 Cosworth21m20.26  28m46.57 
11.4.56Kurt LubyProdrive/BMW Finance + Mobil 1BBMW M3121m25.15  28m46.82 
12.5.77Godfrey HallPyramid Motorsport/Gemini Car AlarmsBBMW M3141m25.53 1 lap down  
13.6.66Nick WhalePyramid Motorsport/Mobil Super PlusBBMW M3131m25.15 1 lap down  
14.7.52Ian ForrestEcosse Motorsport/DrambuieBBMW M3181m26.22 1 lap down  
15.8.57Nick BairdTechspeed MotorsportBBMW 318iS161m25.93 1 lap down  
16.9.100Ray ArmesTrakstar/PG Tags RacingBHonda Civic 211m30.84 1 lap down  
NCFNCF88John ClarkPyramid MotorsportBBMW M3221m30.75 2 laps down  

DNFDNF60Mark HalesJohn Maguire/Firestone+HaysBMitsubishi Starion191m26.25 18 laps- tyres/puncture?  
DNFDNF5Mike NewmanGraham Goode RacingAFord Sierra RS500 Cosworth41m20.50 10 laps- accident  
DNFDNF69Jerry MahonyBRR Motorsport/ArquatiBBMW M3171m25.06 6 laps- gearbox  
DNFDNF53Jimmy McRaeEcosse Motorsport/MF IndustrialBBMW M3151m25.53 0 laps- engine  

DNSDNS51Ray BellmRouse/Hawaiian TropicBFord Sierra Sapphire201m26.94 DNS- engine  

A few changes to the entry here at Thruxton- In Class A the return of Mike Newman's Goode RS500, and Graham Hathaway back in the ex-Johnson Trakstar Sierra he shared with Mike Smith at Donington- the car now run by Hathaway's own team, finishing a good 3rd. Gravett took pole and the win, while Rouse had problems in the race, coming home 10th.

In Class B, Nettan Lindgren was absent (racing in Sweden?), Kurt Luby was in the second Prodrive M3, and Jimmy McRae returned, replacing Hugh Chalmers in the Ecosse/MF Industrial car. There was one further addition- Jeff Allam in the Vic Lee Motorsport M3, making an immediate impression by taking 2nd in class here.
Ray Bellm's Sapphire was a non starter, with another engine problem...
Old 30 Jan 2010, 15:10 (Ref:2622286)   #19
Jesper OH
Veteran

Quote:

In Class B, Nettan Lindgren was absent (racing in Sweden?), Kurt Luby was in the second Prodrive M3, and Jimmy McRae returned, replacing Hugh Chalmers in the Ecosse/MF Industrial car. There was one further addition- Jeff Allam in the Vic Lee Motorsport M3, making an immediate impression by taking 2nd in class here.
Yes, indeed she was. Here's the Swedish calender with the results of Nettan in ():

Round 1 - 1990.05.06 - Mantorp Park (14th/DNF)
Round 2 - 1990.05.27 - Ring Knutstorp (4th)
Round 3 - 1990.06.10 - Scandinavian Raceway (7th)
Round 4 - 1990.07.15 - Falkenberg (DNA)
Round 5 - 1990.07.29 - Kinnekulle Ring (6th)
Round 6 - 1990.08.06 - Ring Knutstorp (13th/DNF)

I'll have a look for my 1990 notes.

Jesper
Old 30 Jan 2010, 20:44 (Ref:2622464)   #20
KA
Veteran

Round 4- Silverstone, 10/6/90 25 laps

1.1.11Robb GravettTrakstarAFord Sierra RS500 Cosworth21m10.47  30m20.45 
2.2.4Sean WalkerRouse/FAI AutomotiveAFord Sierra RS500 Cosworth51m11.01  30m22.90 
3.3.1Andy RouseRouse/ICSAFord Sierra RS500 Cosworth11m10.12  30m26.75 
4.4.10Lawrence BristowRouse/Team LabattsAFord Sierra RS500 Cosworth71m11.41  30m26.23 
5.5.14Graham HathawayGraham Hathaway RacingAFord Sierra RS500 Cosworth81m13.09  31m08.82 
6.1.55Frank SytnerProdrive/BMW Finance + Mobil 1BBMW M3101m15.361m15.6024 laps  
7.2.50John ClelandDCRS/Vauxhall Dealer SportBVauxhall Cavalier GSi91m15.15 24 laps  
8.3.99Jeff AllamVic Lee Motorsport/Auto Audio + Whitehouse BMWBBMW M3111m16.24 24 laps  
9.4.56Tim SugdenProdrive/BMW Finance + Mobil 1BBMW M3121m16.28 24 laps  
10.5.77Godfrey HallPyramid Motorsport/Gemini Car AlarmsBBMW M3131m16.39 24 laps  
11.6.5Mike NewmanGraham Goode RacingAFord Sierra RS50041m10.83 24 laps  
126.69Jerry MahonyBRR Motorsport/ArquatiBBMW M3141m16.81 24 laps  
13.7.52Ian ForrestEcosse Motorsport/DrambuieBBMW M3??1m26.22* 23 laps *qualifying time disallowed?
14.8.53Hugh ChalmersEcosse Motorsport/MF IndustrialBBMW M3161m17.68 23 laps  
15.9.57Nick BairdTechspeed MotorsportBBMW 318iS181m18.56 23laps  

DNF.DNF.15Graham GoodeGoode/ListerineAFord Sierra RS500 Cosworth61m11.06 24 laps- turbo  
DNFDNF60Mark HalesJohn Maguire/Firestone+HaysBMitsubishi Starion171m18.10 16 laps- starter  
DNFDNF100Ray ArmesTrakstar/PG Tags RacingBHonda Civic 201m23.19 11 laps- tie rod  
DNFDNF3Tim HarveyRouse/Team LabattsAFord Sierra RS500 Cosworth31m10.631m09.898 laps- head gasket  
DNFDNF88John ClarkPyramid MotorsportBBMW M3191m19.18 2 laps down  

DNSDNS51Ray BellmRouse/Hawaiian TropicBFord Sierra Sapphire212m44.70 DNS-engine  
DNPDNP22Dennis LeechDennis Leech/Partservice ExeterAFord Sierra RS500 CosworthDNPN/T DNP  

One addition to the Class A entry here- Dennis Leech in his new RS500. The car didn't turn a wheel, apparently after the team were unable to unload it- the tail lift on the transporter had failed....

A couple of absentees in Class B- Nettan Lindgren again racing in Sweden, and possibly Nick Whale's Pyramid Motorsport M3 (certainly missing from my copy of the result. Other changes in the entry were Tim Sugden taking over the second Prodrive M3 for the next couple of races, and Hugh Chalmers returning in the Ecosse/MF Industrial car, after Jimmy McRae's appearances.
The Bellm Sapphire was a non-starter- another engine problem...

One correction to the previous (Round 3) result- 6th place should be Graham Goode- not sure how I managed to get Mike Newman's name in there as well....

Last edited by KA; 30 Jan 2010 at 20:49. Reason: correcting error in previous post
Old 30 Jan 2010, 20:56 (Ref:2622474)   #21
Jesper OH
Veteran

Quote:

1.1.11Robb GravettTrakstarAFord Sierra RS500 Cosworth11m19.861m21.512027m27.85 
2.2.3Tim HarveyRouse/Team LabattsAFord Sierra RS500 Cosworth31m20.311:21.662027m29.31 
3.3.14Graham HathawayGraham Hathaway RacingAFord Sierra RS500 Cosworth81m22.621:22.302027m46.60 
4.4.10Lawrence BristowRouse/Team LabattsAFord Sierra RS500 Cosworth51m21.271:22.202027m46.81 
5.5.4Sean WalkerRouse/FAI AutomotiveAFord Sierra RS500 Cosworth61m21.761:22.182027m47.16 
6.6.15Graham Goode/Mike NewmanGoode/ListerineAFord Sierra RS500 Cosworth71m22.051:22.672028m28.71 
7.1.50John ClelandDCRS/Vauxhall Dealer SportBVauxhall Cavalier GSi91m22.911m24.252028m34.50 
8.2.99Jeff AllamVic Lee Motorsport/Auto Audio + Whitehouse BMWBBMW M3101m23.901:24.372028m39.23 
9.3.55Frank SytnerProdrive/BMW Finance + Mobil 1BBMW M3111m24.551:24.842028m44.03 
10.7.1Andy RouseRouse/ICSAFord Sierra RS500 Cosworth21m20.261:21.812028m46.57 
11.4.56Kurt LubyProdrive/BMW Finance + Mobil 1BBMW M3121m25.151:24.522028m46.82 
12.5.77Godfrey HallPyramid Motorsport/Gemini Car AlarmsBBMW M3141m25.531:25.6119  
13.6.66Nick WhalePyramid Motorsport/Mobil Super PlusBBMW M3131m25.151:26.6619  
14.7.52Ian ForrestEcosse Motorsport/DrambuieBBMW M3181m26.221:25.5819  
15.8.57Nick BairdTechspeed MotorsportBBMW 318iS161m25.931:25.8419  
16.9.100Ray ArmesTrakstar/PG Tags RacingBHonda Civic 211m30.841:32.2618  
NCFNCF88John ClarkPyramid MotorsportBBMW M3221m30.751:28.7318  

DNFDNF60Mark HalesJohn Maguire/Firestone+HaysBMitsubishi Starion191m26.251:26.1018 laps- tyres/puncture?  
DNFDNF5Mike NewmanGraham Goode RacingAFord Sierra RS500 Cosworth41m20.501:22.2810 laps- accident  
DNFDNF69Jerry MahonyBRR Motorsport/ArquatiBBMW M3171m25.061:26.216 laps- gearbox  
DNFDNF53Jimmy McRaeEcosse Motorsport/MF IndustrialBBMW M3151m25.53no time0 laps- engine  

DNSDNS51Ray BellmRouse/Hawaiian TropicBFord Sierra Sapphire201m26.94 DNS- engine  

A few changes to the entry here at Thruxton- In Class A the return of Mike Newman's Goode RS500, and Graham Hathaway back in the ex-Johnson Trakstar Sierra he shared with Mike Smith at Donington- the car now run by Hathaway's own team, finishing a good 3rd. Gravett took pole and the win, while Rouse had problems in the race, coming home 10th.

Don't know why John Clark was not classified, having completed 18 laps as Ray Armes did.

Jesper
Old 30 Jan 2010, 21:44 (Ref:2622499)   #22
Jesper OH
Veteran

Quote:
Round 4- Silverstone, 10/6/90 25 laps

1.1.11Robb GravettTrakstarAFord Sierra RS500 Cosworth21m10.471:10.92 30m20.45 
2.2.4Sean WalkerRouse/FAI AutomotiveAFord Sierra RS500 Cosworth51m11.011:11.59 30m22.90 
3.3.1Andy RouseRouse/ICSAFord Sierra RS500 Cosworth11m10.121:11.19 30m26.75 
4.4.10Lawrence BristowRouse/Team LabattsAFord Sierra RS500 Cosworth71m11.411:12.29 30m26.23 
5.5.14Graham HathawayGraham Hathaway RacingAFord Sierra RS500 Cosworth81m13.091:13.63 31m08.82 
6.1.55Frank SytnerProdrive/BMW Finance + Mobil 1BBMW M3101m15.361m15.6024 laps  
7.2.50John ClelandDCRS/Vauxhall Dealer SportBVauxhall Cavalier GSi91m15.151:16.0424 laps  
8.3.99Jeff AllamVic Lee Motorsport/Auto Audio + Whitehouse BMWBBMW M3111m16.241:16.4524 laps  
9.4.56Tim SugdenProdrive/BMW Finance + Mobil 1BBMW M3121m16.281:16.3324 laps  
10.5.77Godfrey HallPyramid Motorsport/Gemini Car AlarmsBBMW M3131m16.391:16.9524 laps  
11.6.5Mike NewmanGraham Goode RacingAFord Sierra RS50041m10.831:13.0124 laps  
126.69Jerry MahonyBRR Motorsport/ArquatiBBMW M3141m16.811:16.9624 laps  
13.7.52Ian ForrestEcosse Motorsport/DrambuieBBMW M322*no time1:17.1623 laps *qualifying time disallowed?
14.8.53Hugh ChalmersEcosse Motorsport/MF IndustrialBBMW M3161m17.681:18.3323 laps  
15.9.57Nick BairdTechspeed MotorsportBBMW 318iS181m18.561:18.6323laps  

DNF.DNF.15Graham GoodeGoode/ListerineAFord Sierra RS500 Cosworth61m11.061:12.4224 laps- turbo  
DNFDNF60Mark HalesJohn Maguire/Firestone+HaysBMitsubishi Starion171m18.101:18.0116 laps- starter  
DNFDNF100Ray ArmesTrakstar/PG Tags RacingBHonda Civic 201m23.191:23.9711 laps- tie rod  
DNFDNF3Tim HarveyRouse/Team LabattsAFord Sierra RS500 Cosworth31m10.631m09.898 laps- head gasket  
DNFDNF88John ClarkPyramid MotorsportBBMW M3191m19.182:27.3112:27.31clutch

DNSDNS51Ray BellmRouse/Hawaiian TropicBFord Sierra Sapphire212m44.70 DNS-engine  
DNPDNP22Dennis LeechDennis Leech/Partservice ExeterAFord Sierra RS500 CosworthDNPN/T DNP  

One addition to the Class A entry here- Dennis Leech in his new RS500. The car didn't turn a wheel, apparently after the team were unable to unload it- the tail lift on the transporter had failed....

A couple of absentees in Class B- Nettan Lindgren again racing in Sweden, and possibly Nick Whale's Pyramid Motorsport M3 (certainly missing from my copy of the result. Other changes in the entry were Tim Sugden taking over the second Prodrive M3 for the next couple of races, and Hugh Chalmers returning in the Ecosse/MF Industrial car, after Jimmy McRae's appearances.
The Bellm Sapphire was a non-starter- another engine problem...

One correction to the previous (Round 3) result- 6th place should be Graham Goode- not sure how I managed to get Mike Newman's name in there as well....
Ian Forrest lost his qualifying times as the car proved to be underweight. Bob Jamieson mentioned as team boss.

Mike Newman should be running Listerine sponsorship by this round.

Forgotten about it untill now, but the points system was changed for 1990 from the previous 9-6-4-3-2-1 for top-6 positions to 20-15-12-10-8-6-4-3-2-1 for top-10 positions in the classes.

Jesper

Last edited by Jesper OH; 30 Jan 2010 at 21:46. Reason: Additional info
Old 30 Jan 2010, 21:47 (Ref:2622501)   #23
bigears
Racer

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
bigears should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I got a copy of the official qualifying times at the Birmingham Superprix and I put it together with some notes from Autosport and Motoring News. No official race results yet but hopefully I will get it soon.

I don't know how to use code to edit Jesper's posts but I have put up an Excel file of the 1990 BTCC details from the Superprix so perhaps someone can put up the edited details into Jesper's post of the BSP results and grid.

1990_BSP_BTCC.xls
Old 31 Jan 2010, 13:55 (Ref:2622801)   #24
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was searching around for pictures of the Labatt's cars and had a nice little find:

http://www.btccaction.co.uk/results/1990/rd1.php

The results only seem to be accessible through the "Select Result" dropdown box (selecting 1990 doesn't work), but the site has results from every round! No qualifying times, but full fastest laps data. A quick shifty through the forum suggests that the results might have come from Autosport.
Old 31 Jan 2010, 14:42 (Ref:2622835)   #25
Jesper OH
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Dale Jr View Post
I was searching around for pictures of the Labatt's cars and had a nice little find:

http://www.btccaction.co.uk/results/1990/rd1.php

The results only seem to be accessible through the "Select Result" dropdown box (selecting 1990 doesn't work), but the site has results from every round! No qualifying times, but full fastest laps data. A quick shifty through the forum suggests that the results might have come from Autosport.
A good find there, William, although I can't access any 1990 races unless using your link. This backtracking of my part was to see if any earlier years were present.

Jesper

Tags
1990, bmw m3, btcc, ford sierra rs500, group a, super touring, vauxhall cavalier