Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 27 Apr 2012, 09:05 (Ref:3066053)   #1
Thaw Daggerslash
Racer

Thaw Daggerslash should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thruxton, rounds 7, 8 and 9

Fastest circuit the BTCC visits this weekend and it looks as if rain could play a part in proceedings. Anyone fancy Church corner in the wet?

Who do we think the track will suit then? Hopefully this year with everyone running turbos there's a little less whinging from a certain someone...

Anyone who is there this weekend - enjoy it.
Old 27 Apr 2012, 10:20 (Ref:3066087)   #2
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaw Daggerslash View Post
Fastest circuit the BTCC visits this weekend and it looks as if rain could play a part in proceedings
That has to be the understatement of the year so far
Old 27 Apr 2012, 12:32 (Ref:3066134)   #3
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rain-related - I recall previous wet races where BTC-T cars had an advantage over S2000 cars because tyre changes could be performed so much quicker. Do the NGTCs have a similar wheel-nut setup to the S2000s?
Old 27 Apr 2012, 14:45 (Ref:3066186)   #4
mjcapri
Rookie

mjcapri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not sure about the wheel/hub arrangement....

I was thinking though about the NGTC cars likely advantage in terms of tyre wear at Thruxton - Jackson's Ford in particular seems to munch rubber! (That might be a Focus thing, my ST170 goes through Toyo T1-R's at a frightening rate ....)

Back to reality though, I suppose in that respect a wet track would be a leveller - unless of course conditions changed during a race and there was a difference in wheel fastening arrangements.
Old 27 Apr 2012, 15:25 (Ref:3066206)   #5
davidjones
Rookie

England
Nottingham
davidjones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cos View Post
Rain-related - I recall previous wet races where BTC-T cars had an advantage over S2000 cars because tyre changes could be performed so much quicker. Do the NGTCs have a similar wheel-nut setup to the S2000s?

The NGTC cars have centre lock wheel nuts, so one wheel nut to change per wheel, compared to 5 per wheel for the S2000 cars.

If tyre changes do come into play, the NGTC runners will have a distinct advantage.
Old 27 Apr 2012, 15:46 (Ref:3066212)   #6
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjones View Post
The NGTC cars have centre lock wheel nuts, so one wheel nut to change per wheel, compared to 5 per wheel for the S2000 cars.

If tyre changes do come into play, the NGTC runners will have a distinct advantage.
no they wont cause the regs say ngtc cars can only have one person each side to change wheels and s2000 cars can use two people each side
Old 27 Apr 2012, 15:52 (Ref:3066216)   #7
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm struggling to think of the last time we needed pitstops during the race because of the weather. After the pitstops were dropped in 2004 that is.
Old 27 Apr 2012, 15:52 (Ref:3066218)   #8
cos
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
no they wont cause the regs say ngtc cars can only have one person each side to change wheels and s2000 cars can use two people each side
It's still one person per wheel though, and if conditions are changeable they often tend to have wets on the front and slicks on the back anyway (or the other way round?)
Old 27 Apr 2012, 16:17 (Ref:3066226)   #9
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cos View Post
It's still one person per wheel though, and if conditions are changeable they often tend to have wets on the front and slicks on the back anyway (or the other way round?)
?? no its not.
s2000 have one person per wheel (two persons each side). ngtc have one person doing two wheels(one person per side)
Old 27 Apr 2012, 16:20 (Ref:3066228)   #10
cos
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
?? no its not.
s2000 have one person per wheel. ngtc have one person doing two wheels.
If it's one person per side for NGTC cars, as you said, then it'll be fairly equal if the decision is to just change fronts (or backs) though...
Old 27 Apr 2012, 16:24 (Ref:3066233)   #11
touring fan01
Veteran

correct
Old 27 Apr 2012, 18:47 (Ref:3066284)   #12
cos
Veteran

England
After all that discussion it'll probably be bone dry all Sunday!
Old 27 Apr 2012, 19:10 (Ref:3066298)   #13
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Or it'll be persisting down all day, with not a slick tyre in sight. Which by the forecast on the National news looks highly likely.
Old 27 Apr 2012, 22:46 (Ref:3066365)   #14
BillWiskins
Racer

European Union
Brighton
BillWiskins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Curse my busy schedule! I estimate I will be driving past on the A303 at some point during race two. I can't remember how much track you can see from the road, but I'll bet you can hear it. Must...not...attend...
Old 28 Apr 2012, 00:00 (Ref:3066384)   #15
Drummer
Rookie

England
Northamptonshire, England
Drummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm thinking it'll suit Plato, personally. Let's hope so. I'd like to see him back at the top where he belongs!
Old 28 Apr 2012, 09:34 (Ref:3066452)   #16
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
I'm thinking it'll suit Plato, personally. Let's hope so. I'd like to see him sat in the sin bin where he belongs!
Fixed that for you......
Old 28 Apr 2012, 09:55 (Ref:3066461)   #17
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Its supposed to be raining in the morning and early afternoon, showers for the remainder of the day and then clear in the evening. The way the weather's been the past couple of weeks, it could be anything really.

Rob Austin won't be out for FP1... his engine's not back from Lehman's yet. He also tweeted yesterday that this may be his last race for a while unless he gets some walla. The team could continue though.
Old 28 Apr 2012, 11:35 (Ref:3066493)   #18
Thaw Daggerslash
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
I'm thinking it'll suit Plato, personally. Let's hope so. I'd like to see him back at the top where he belongs!
Well at least there's no-one to hit when you're in first place.

Shame to hear about Rob Austin.
Old 28 Apr 2012, 14:42 (Ref:3066551)   #19
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just watching quali online. Plato's had a massive off through or over the tyre wall into the trees on the outside of Church, session stopped, cavalry in attendance. I do hope he isn't injured, that's a very very quick place to go off.

Edit: just been delivered back to the pits by the doctor, body language seems OK, everyone having a chuckle. Must have taken off and flown!
Old 28 Apr 2012, 14:55 (Ref:3066556)   #20
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It looks like Plato has caused the mobilisation of more vehicles - doctor's car, ambulance, flatbed and now tractor!!
Old 28 Apr 2012, 15:06 (Ref:3066559)   #21
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Just watching quali online. Plato's had a massive off through or over the tyre wall into the trees on the outside of Church, session stopped, cavalry in attendance. I do hope he isn't injured, that's a very very quick place to go off.

Edit: just been delivered back to the pits by the doctor, body language seems OK, everyone having a chuckle. Must have taken off and flown!
I remember Tom Onslow-Cole having a similar shunt in Clios at Brands once. It went in sideways at the bottom of Paddock, flipped over the barrier, then landed on it's wheels on the infield at Druids.
Old 28 Apr 2012, 15:12 (Ref:3066564)   #22
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Neate off, then Austin in the same place. I expect Austin will get a kicking from the CoC for that - Neate had been there for a minute or so. Shame though, Austin's Audi looks badly beaten.

Last edited by Greem; 28 Apr 2012 at 15:31.
Old 28 Apr 2012, 15:31 (Ref:3066569)   #23
Thaw Daggerslash
Racer

Dramatic qualifying session. Will be interesting to see how the Hondas do from 18th and 20th.
Old 28 Apr 2012, 15:48 (Ref:3066573)   #24
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Rob Austin on Twitter points the finger at oil from Neate's broken MG, which seems pretty plausible. Tough break for the team though, looks pretty badly damaged at the back.
Old 28 Apr 2012, 15:50 (Ref:3066577)   #25
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Neate off, then Austin in the same place. I expect Austin will get a kicking from the CoC for that - Neate had been there for a minute or so. Shame though, Austin's Audi looks badly beaten.
Not sure that Rob Austin had passed Andy Neate before he went off, so I'd be surprised if he gets a wrist slapping. The back end of the Audi doesn't look great. I'm not sure if they'll be able to polish that out before tomorrow - the rear subframe on the Audi has more going on than in an FWD car. A real shame given all the work they put in with the engine just before qualifying.