Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

View Poll Results: Which of these races did you find most entertaining?
Cleveland, 1995 9 50.00%
Portland, 1997 8 44.44%
Milwaukee, 1997 1 5.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16 Dec 2004, 22:50 (Ref:1181440)   #1
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Which Was Your Favourite?

Which of these races did you find most entertaining?

Cleveland 1995 was, IMO, one of the most exciting CART races ever.

Portland 1997 saw everything, from changing weather conditions to the closest 1-2-3 finish in history.

Milwaukee 1997 was Greg Moore's first victory, nursing a single tank of fuel for 92 laps!

(This poll will close tomorrow (Friday) )

Last edited by macdaddy; 16 Dec 2004 at 22:55.
Old 17 Dec 2004, 00:05 (Ref:1181486)   #2
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That Cleveland race was amazing. Cars flying all over the place and Villeneuve going from 4th to 1st on the last lap. Amazing stuff.
Old 17 Dec 2004, 01:03 (Ref:1181520)   #3
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I picked Portland -- at the chicane we were soaked with rubber and water from the spray, and we couldn't see the cars until they were practically at start-finish (made for some difficult blueflagging). On the last lap, Jimmy Vasser spun at the first apex and stalled 90 degrees to traffic, nose-in to the barrier driver's right. We knew the pack was coming to the checker but we couldn't see them, nor could we see if Jimmy in the starter's stand had a yellow out for us. Vasser would not get out of the car, so it was a "squinch up your face and peek thru your fingers" type finish to the race. Luckily Blundell blew the chicane on the cooldown, taking the escape road.

The second most interesting part about Portland was trying to complete what felt like hundreds of incident reports on wet paper, with wet pens and wet fingers, from scribbled notes and memory. We finally finished them all over an hour after the checker.

Those were the days...
keke

keke

Last edited by racerkeke; 17 Dec 2004 at 01:05. Reason: typos!
Old 17 Dec 2004, 06:16 (Ref:1181605)   #4
cartpix
Racer

cartpix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I chose Portland for the changing weather, the pit statagies for the changing weather, & that finish.

Jeff
Old 17 Dec 2004, 06:53 (Ref:1181609)   #5
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Portland , that was the one Blundell just one at the finish wasnt it ?

an awesome race with rain and a drying track , it simply was brilliant.

I really hope I ave that stashed away on tape somewhere ????
Old 17 Dec 2004, 16:36 (Ref:1181967)   #6
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Portland 1997. The race that had everything...
Old 17 Dec 2004, 16:56 (Ref:1181987)   #7
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm going against the grain here, but I voted for Milwaukee. How could I do that? First off I have no recollection of Cleveland. I think I saw that race, but when that highlight video was available I watched and I remembered nothing. I can't vote for something I can't vouch for. Portland was an incident filled race and had a great finish, but I don't remember being that excited by the race. Milwaukee was great because I really wanted to see Moore win. He so deserved it and had been very close before. I *think* that was the event he qualified for with his race setup. Fuel runs normally stink, but if my memory serves me right, it looked like if it had been a green flag race I think he could have won it. It was quiet dramatic because he was lifting on the straights and using every bit of talent he posessed to irk more efficency from his car. There was a lot of suspense and it was a real race, not a situation where someone was gifted a win.
Old 17 Dec 2004, 17:35 (Ref:1182012)   #8
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i chose Portland 97. It was the first and only time I had start/finish line seats. Normally I sit at the Festival Curves. The start of that race was one of the most amazing things I have ever seen in motorsport. The track was massively wet. When the cars accelerated off of T12, and I heard them roaring towards me, all I saw was the front row, and a massive wall of water behind them. As the cars past, all you could see was glimpses of cars and red lights. The wall of water probably went 30ft high, higher than the tops of the grandstands. And yet there were 20+ cars in that pack all at full throttle inches from each other with no visibility. Incredible stuff. Not only that, but as the track was drying up(and i think rain was coming down periodically, drivers were driving offline to keep the wet tires wet and cool. Towards the end of the race, several drivers had switched to dries while others were still on wets. The drivers on dry tires were catching up to those on wets if my memory serves me, and it made for a very suspenseful last several laps. And of course, sitting right at the start finish line for that fantastic 1-2-3 finish was an amazing experience. Truely a great race in the history of Champcar.
Old 17 Dec 2004, 20:29 (Ref:1182099)   #9
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Well... Cleveland seems to have edged Portland by one vote.

Enjoy!
Old 18 Dec 2004, 00:02 (Ref:1182251)   #10
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's funny that Cleveland 95 won by a vote, but I'm the only one who said something about it, compared to five people who posted thier memories of Portland 97. Interesting.

Last edited by evo; 18 Dec 2004 at 00:02.
Old 18 Dec 2004, 07:46 (Ref:1182380)   #11
Mantom
Rookie

United States
Mantom has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy
Which of these races did you find most entertaining?

Cleveland 1995 was, IMO, one of the most exciting CART races ever.

Portland 1997 saw everything, from changing weather conditions to the closest 1-2-3 finish in history.

Milwaukee 1997 was Greg Moore's first victory, nursing a single tank of fuel for 92 laps!

(This poll will close tomorrow (Friday) )

What year was it at Portland that Gil De Ferran, driving for Walker, did the rabbit dash to counter everybody's fuel conservation strategy?
Old 18 Dec 2004, 09:48 (Ref:1182412)   #12
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
I voted for Cleveland, evo. Don't know who else did.

And I'll say something about it, too, if you still want me to!

In my memory, that was one of the most exciting CART races ever. Villeneuve and Gordon were at each other's throats, both Fabi and deFerran stood excellent chances to win at different stages, a backmarker who raced with the leaders lap-after-lap ended up changing the face of the race, and the winner was most surprising.

I hope Edmonton can compliment Cleveland by providing us some equally-entertaining racing!
Old 18 Dec 2004, 15:51 (Ref:1182610)   #13
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantom
What year was it at Portland that Gil De Ferran, driving for Walker, did the rabbit dash to counter everybody's fuel conservation strategy?
If I am recalling correctly that was the last year Goodyear was involved in the series so that would have been '99. Most teams had switched to Firestone which was a better tire, but it was wet and Goodyears were better in the wet than the Firestones. De Farren used that advantage and his own abilities to smoke everyone. I thought that was a pretty cool victory.
Old 18 Dec 2004, 16:51 (Ref:1182638)   #14
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually Snrub, I'm pretty positive the 1999 race was pretty overcast, but dry. Which makes de Ferran's run even better, really.
Old 19 Dec 2004, 10:14 (Ref:1183042)   #15
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would have voted for cleveland, but I still have them all anyway But Cleveland to me is what it is all about...well technically they are all what it is all about. Great Memories.
Old 23 Dec 2004, 22:42 (Ref:1187103)   #16
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
I just finished watching an old video of that Portland race.
Old 26 Dec 2004, 13:45 (Ref:1188038)   #17
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy
I just finished watching an old video of that Portland race.
And exciting it was. Blundell did great to win the race.
Old 18 Feb 2005, 16:42 (Ref:1229487)   #18
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would like to say after watching your videos Macdaddy, all of them were exciting, Portland for the drama, and very close 1-2-3 finish.
Also Cleveland was very entertaining, but I would have to say Vancouver 1997 was my personal favourite.