Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Oct 2000, 17:19 (Ref:42912)   #1
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!

Please excuse my ignorance.

Could my learned friends here please explain to me where Bernie Ecclestone came from..What is his experience in Formula1, and how did he get started in the sport, and also I would like to learn more about his digital televison station...Who get's it and how.. Thank you in advance!
Old 14 Oct 2000, 17:29 (Ref:42914)   #2
White Van Man
Racer

White Van Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He used to own and run the now defunct Brabham team with some success
Old 14 Oct 2000, 18:50 (Ref:42922)   #3
robert2000
Racer

England
Cambridge, UK
robert2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Don't forget his two attempts to qualify a Connaught in 1958
Old 14 Oct 2000, 19:26 (Ref:42925)   #4
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Its an interesting topic. I love to know about his background and his psychological make-up that tempts him to favour a "little bavarian boy"Oedipus complex or what?

Old 15 Oct 2000, 13:06 (Ref:43046)   #5
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indeed, all hail Bernie

Where did he came from... He was not rich. His father was a trawler captain. He left school at age 15, eventually got a chemical engineering degree, he run a motorcycle and car dealership and then was involved in driver's and team management.
  • Raced motorcycles as a teenager.
  • Raced in 500cc Formula 3 until 1951 (when he had a crash at Brands Hatch). He was 21.
  • Manager of Stuart Lewis-Evans (Connaught, Vanwall)
  • 1957 ran in Tasman series and in '58 he tried (not very seriously though) a couple of GP's as a privateer: British (did not start) and Monaco (did not qualify), but I'm not 100% sure (he bought a couple of Connaughts)
  • Manager of Jochen Rindt in the sixties.
  • Manager of Brabham in 1970 (he bought the team in '71). Piquet was Drivers Champion in 81 and 83.
  • Withdrew Brabham from the competition in '87, sold the Brabham name in '89.
  • In eighties, he and other guys (one of them was a certain Mr. Max, one of the owners of MARCH team) formed FOCA. The war between FOCA and FISA was eventually solved by Enzo Ferrari (just as a curiosity, at Maranello in 1981 Bernie and Max were sitting at the right hand of Commendatore...
So, I guess that if Ferrari is Formula 1, Bernie comes a close second.
Old 15 Oct 2000, 15:52 (Ref:43060)   #6
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!

Thank you Red.. That is most imformative..He is realy is a pioneer then, quite an accomplishment I realy had no idea about Bernie's background at all....Mr Eccelstone is now 69 years of age if am correct.Who will take over the running of Formula1, when for practical reasons he can no longer continue..Will it become even more corporate than it is now,I hope not for F1 sake..Should the team owners create a consortium??

Old 15 Oct 2000, 18:58 (Ref:43068)   #7
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

So, he did not crawl out from under a stone then.

Old 16 Oct 2000, 12:41 (Ref:43176)   #8
Liisu
Rookie

Liisu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Beloved Bernie

Where did Bernie come from?

He used to be a car salesman. There was a big article about him in The Economist some weeks (months?) ago, so you can read all the nice - and other - details there.

But he sure made it big. He has a ferocious marketing instinct and must have a "money-finding device" installed in his nose (or possibly elsewhere). Germans say that money doesn't stink, but even so, I'm quite sure that Bernie can smell it!!