Closed Thread

Old 30 Oct 2006, 13:22 (Ref:1753567)   #1
Moayyed
Rookie

Bahrain
Bahrain
Moayyed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bernie Ecclestone's comments

It's rumored that Bernie Ecclestone has made some negative comments about marshals to a sport's magazine. I have been unable to verify details. Anyone with more information?
Old 30 Oct 2006, 14:52 (Ref:1753624)   #2
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has Bernie said anything positive about Marshals?
Old 30 Oct 2006, 16:38 (Ref:1753683)   #3
Gridlock
Racer

England
Buckinghamshire
Gridlock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGridlock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How many marshals have said anything positive about Bernie?
Old 30 Oct 2006, 17:08 (Ref:1753706)   #4
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Good point Gridlock.

Question. Can it be proved that Bernie doesn't read Ten-Tenths occasionally?
Old 30 Oct 2006, 17:14 (Ref:1753711)   #5
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ten Tenths is a motorsports forum.

Bernie would probably be more likely to read the Financial Times forum(!)

This isn't anything to do with the Sid Watkins lecture at ASI is it?
Old 30 Oct 2006, 17:48 (Ref:1753733)   #6
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
The point I was getting at was to deal sucessfully with a man like Bernie Ecclestone, it's absolutly essential that you understand his position & motivations and that you construct your communication with him in such way that he has no reason to defend his position by attacking you.

Bernie is not in control of Motorsports, and in terms of the UK, his influence is almost entirely limited to the British GP and the F1 terms resident here. The limit of his actual influence is as the commercial rights holder of the F1 seris. And his position on marshals should therefore be pretty simple, as long as they don't cause a problem for the running and public image of F1, then why should he bother with us? I bet if you asked him in a way that would ellicit a frank response, he'd be of the view that The FIA, MSA and in turn, the BRDC have varying contractual responsibilities to him to provide an environment to run his races, and therefore any problems and action to resolve those problems is a matter entirely between those bodies and us/BMMC.

So my questions are:
1. Why are we dicussing him, when in fact he's got virtually nothing to do with us?
2. If you stuble upon a bear with a sore tooth, but it's in a deep sleep and not really in your way, why wake it up?
Old 30 Oct 2006, 18:20 (Ref:1753756)   #7
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1ackcr0w
So my questions are:
1. Why are we dicussing him, when in fact he's got virtually nothing to do with us?
2. If you stuble upon a bear with a sore tooth, but it's in a deep sleep and not really in your way, why wake it up?
A pair of stunningly good points sir. however if he has said something about us or the way we run, why shouldn't we discuss him?

In that scenario, the bear is wide awake and has just taken a swipe...
Old 30 Oct 2006, 18:38 (Ref:1753772)   #8
Gridlock
Racer

England
Buckinghamshire
Gridlock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGridlock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps if we cant say anything nice, dont say anything!
There are lots more people in Motor Sport that make it all worthwhile so lets concentrate on them.
Old 30 Oct 2006, 18:45 (Ref:1753776)   #9
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
CombeMarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1ackcr0w

So my questions are:
But it's only us that know that, when it gets into the press it just does nothing positive for Marshals, Perhaps we can get Martin Brundle to have a few words on a grid walk one day!
Old 30 Oct 2006, 18:55 (Ref:1753779)   #10
brickkicker
Veteran

brickkicker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a point, we dont know if he said anything yet but we have all (well almost all) jumped on the attack?
Old 30 Oct 2006, 19:04 (Ref:1753786)   #11
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickkicker
Just a point, we dont know if he said anything yet but we have all (well almost all) jumped on the attack?
Makes a change from slagging off the MSA!
Old 30 Oct 2006, 19:26 (Ref:1753798)   #12
brickkicker
Veteran

brickkicker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im sure they will be dragged into it soon
Old 30 Oct 2006, 21:46 (Ref:1753885)   #13
outflat
Racer

outflat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm.

Someone may have said something maybe negative but we don't know and aren't sure?

Not so much a storm in a tea cup but a bit of drizzle in a thimble!
Old 31 Oct 2006, 08:23 (Ref:1754141)   #14
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_l
Has Bernie said anything positive about Marshals?
Actually yes. I have a letter from him - actually signed by him too ,not mimeographed or pp'd - stating that motorsport could not survive without marshals.

I'm pretty sure if you dig enough, you'll find it on this forum actually.
Old 31 Oct 2006, 08:50 (Ref:1754169)   #15
scorch
Racer

England
scorch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He is intitled to comment on specific incidents and comment on the marshalls performance. Thats not exactly new everybody does that.
Old 31 Oct 2006, 09:25 (Ref:1754212)   #16
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm a bi of fan of Bernie - so should all of you be without Bernie its likely that only 10% of you would be on here and its questionable whether this board would exist at all. Bernie made international motorsport what it is today, it means that we can watch every race on TV, and that's made a lot of people in the sport wealthy. One of the old hands in this office who pre dates Bernie-world sings his praises often ("without Bernie none of us would have a job!") this is true. Without a large TV prescence attracting new fans Autosport and Motorsport News would have folded long ago, Racecar Engineering would never have existed and NASCAR would rule the world.

Now I don't agree with all his descisions and ways of operating - but to brand him pure evil is unfair, the man made motorsport what it is and probably made most of you fans, give him credit for that.

Anyway did he slag of any marshals?
Old 31 Oct 2006, 09:54 (Ref:1754243)   #17
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
I'm a bi of fan of Bernie - so should all of you be
Why? Are we not entitled to our own opinions?

Quote:
without Bernie its likely that only 10% of you would be on here and its questionable whether this board would exist at all.
Um sorry, that doesn't wash. There was an emailing list long before the forum on Tenths and after that, a Yahoo group. Somewhere there would be a marshals forum.

Quote:
Bernie made international motorsport what it is today, it means that we can watch every race on TV, and that's made a lot of people in the sport wealthy.
and?

Quote:
One of the old hands in this office who pre dates Bernie-world sings his praises often ("without Bernie none of us would have a job!") this is true.
I think you'll find that we'd all still have a job. Very few of us are employed in motorsport related areas and there's always motorsport work for those that are willing to work for free.

Quote:
Without a large TV prescence attracting new fans Autosport and Motorsport News would have folded long ago, Racecar Engineering would never have existed and NASCAR would rule the world.
Which would be sad for you no doubt, but I don't think it really affects anyone here.

Quote:
Now I don't agree with all his descisions and ways of operating - but to brand him pure evil is unfair, the man made motorsport what it is and probably made most of you fans, give him credit for that.
I never watched F1 until after I started marshalling. I was brought up on speedway.

Quote:
Anyway did he slag of any marshals?
At last, a sensible comment.

Please don't confuse this forum with the F1 forum. This is a forum for marshals.
Old 31 Oct 2006, 10:18 (Ref:1754267)   #18
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I'm a bi of fan of Bernie
Sam is Bi?
Old 31 Oct 2006, 12:11 (Ref:1754344)   #19
Gridlock
Racer

England
Buckinghamshire
[QUOTE]SS-Collins Bernie made international motorsport what it is today, it means that we can watch every race on TV, and that's made a lot of people in the sport wealthy.[/QUOTE)
From your statements and profile you may be in PR with motor sport and therefore rely on people like Bernie to pay your salary and there is nothing wrong in that. However, I do think you should check the History of motor sport before you make statements like "Bernie made international motorsport what it is today" If anything that statement is an insult to the hundreds of people in clubs and volunteers who are the real heros of motor sport and without them, their would be no F1 drivers or cars. Yes Bernie and the TV companies have made F1 (Not Motor Sport) what it is today. "I big International circus with money as the driving force" with publicity to sell magazines. However "real motor sport" that has existed in the UK for many years of my life and before Bernie does not get true recognition from any area of the media. If you want to confirm this just look at the comments on the "Birkett Relay Thread". Organisers, drivers, Officials and spectators.
I have nothing against Bernie but please dont confuse him with real motor sport?
Old 31 Oct 2006, 13:40 (Ref:1754433)   #20
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I have to agree that Bernie made motorsport what it is today. Unfortunately.

Apart from safety, I'd rather it was what it was 20 years ago.
Old 31 Oct 2006, 13:55 (Ref:1754448)   #21
Nick49
Racer

England
Hampshire, UK
Nick49 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello

Considering this all started with

Quote:
It's rumored that Bernie Ecclestone has made some negative comments about marshals to a sport's magazine. I have been unable to verify details. Anyone with more information?
and NO ONE has come up with any more information, shall we just stop all this nonsense and close the thread. It is, after all, based on NOTHING!!

Nick
Old 31 Oct 2006, 14:17 (Ref:1754460)   #22
rescue dude
Veteran

England
rescue dude is a back marker
I'm certain his lawyers are reading this as we speak, so i'd just like to say that i think he's a lovely bloke who is worth every penny that he earns.
Old 31 Oct 2006, 14:19 (Ref:1754463)   #23
Pistonbroke
Racer

Wales
Shropshire
Pistonbroke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hear hear. I have nothing good to say about the man but this isn't the place not to say it
Old 31 Oct 2006, 15:14 (Ref:1754495)   #24
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
In that case I shall close the thread...

KaBoom...Puff...Gone!