Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 6 Apr 2023, 14:48 (Ref:4150635)   #151
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
https://www.touringcartimes.com/2023...-uk-programme/
Alistair Camp in a Hyundai i30
Old 6 Apr 2023, 15:04 (Ref:4150639)   #152
coffinpilot
Racer

coffinpilot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So then, Trotter has folllowed through on his wobbly.
24 cars -him and Tonks not on the entry list.
https://www.tcr-uk.co.uk/wp-content/...ton-300-V2.pdf
Old 6 Apr 2023, 17:13 (Ref:4150668)   #153
Redron
Rookie

Redron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking forward to this.

Hopefully the grid grows also
Old 7 Apr 2023, 10:21 (Ref:4150729)   #154
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Isaac Smith incidentally is moving to TCR Europe in a Volcano Motorsport Audi.
Old 7 Apr 2023, 18:50 (Ref:4150792)   #155
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having been to a frankly disappointing meeting at Silverstone in the first year of the championship and not bothered with it since, I thought I'd head to Snetterton on Sunday to see what all the fuss was about. There's an item on the timetable before each race which is confusing - the 'Tyre rotate lap'. Is this the green flag lap that a lot of series have, or an extra green flag lap where the tyres are swapped front to rear before the real green flag lap?
Old 9 Apr 2023, 11:14 (Ref:4150866)   #156
tocatrucky
Racer

United Kingdom
Lane 1 of the A1M
tocatrucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TCR UK social media manager has a pabic attack (metaphorically) over Brad Kent losing P1 after qually over a ''technical infringement'' and locks down the facebook discussion over it due to the angry reactions..

Hardly a transparent welcomg start to the year. Hope they get social media training lessons.
Old 9 Apr 2023, 11:43 (Ref:4150870)   #157
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
The 'technical infringement' was a broken wheel speed sensor
https://noticeboard.brscc.co.uk/wp-c...n-Sheet-17.pdf

Possibly not the team's fault but thems the rules
Old 9 Apr 2023, 13:39 (Ref:4150876)   #158
jsmee
Veteran

England
Essex, UK
jsmee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Ahh ok, yeah that rings a bell, was sure I’d seen it before!

An extra driver announcement and full entry list at 4 today.
Having got up close to the Camp i30 today it appears he is running the ex NordPass i30. You can sort of see the old livery application behind the new stickers.
Old 9 Apr 2023, 20:06 (Ref:4150897)   #159
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Pretty good racing today, second reverse grid race a bit stronger.

Few mechanical issues again in race 1, but race 2 was better too in that regard so hopefully the first was an outlier.

I do like Paul O’Neill but all his squeaks and shouts are a bit grating!
Old 10 Apr 2023, 11:07 (Ref:4150943)   #160
5five
Rookie

5five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just looked up the lap time difference between TCR UK and BTCC around Snetterton - Josh Files did a 1:56.748 in qualifying, whereas Turks did a 1:55.805 in quali last year.

However, the TCR UK cars look so slow and sedate in comparison on the live stream which is clearly not reflected in the lap times - I wonder whether it is that they aren't as "on the limit" as a NGTC car through the corners?

Or maybe its the field spread giving that appearance - BTCC the top 15 were within a second, whereas the TCR field top 15 were within 2.8.

Nice to see a growing grid and relatively entertaining action
Old 10 Apr 2023, 11:15 (Ref:4150945)   #161
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5five View Post
I just looked up the lap time difference between TCR UK and BTCC around Snetterton - Josh Files did a 1:56.748 in qualifying, whereas Turks did a 1:55.805 in quali last year.

However, the TCR UK cars look so slow and sedate in comparison on the live stream which is clearly not reflected in the lap times - I wonder whether it is that they aren't as "on the limit" as a NGTC car through the corners?

Or maybe its the field spread giving that appearance - BTCC the top 15 were within a second, whereas the TCR field top 15 were within 2.8.

Nice to see a growing grid and relatively entertaining action
btcc last year was in baking 34c heat so lap times are not really comparable

in cooler temps like this weekend ngtc would be faster than they were last year in those high temps (turbo engines and tyres like lower air and track temps)
Old 10 Apr 2023, 12:27 (Ref:4150953)   #162
redshoes
Veteran

Quote:
However, the TCR UK cars look so slow and sedate in comparison on the live stream which is clearly not reflected in the lap times
Some of that will be down to the production of the coverage; Alpha Live run at a much lower budget than ITV Sport. ITV have more trackside microphones so the engine noise is more noticeable. They also have a lot more camera positions, plus many in-car camera, so you get more a rapidly cut editing style. Alpha's fewer camera mean you tend to get longer shots covering a greater distance. Then of course there is David Addison commentary, which is very much modelled on the Murray Walker pants-on-fire style.

That said, I think the relative gaps front to rear of the grid don't help either.
Old 10 Apr 2023, 15:07 (Ref:4150980)   #163
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Only have seen race 1. Was a bit tame but nice to see racing again after the winter break.

Did Files hold back?
Old 11 Apr 2023, 10:52 (Ref:4151055)   #164
coffinpilot
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
The 'technical infringement' was a broken wheel speed sensor
https://noticeboard.brscc.co.uk/wp-c...n-Sheet-17.pdf

Possibly not the team's fault but thems the rules
They also failed ride height, so if the sensor had passed they'd have still got hit
Old 11 Apr 2023, 10:57 (Ref:4151058)   #165
coffinpilot
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmee View Post
Having got up close to the Camp i30 today it appears he is running the ex NordPass i30. You can sort of see the old livery application behind the new stickers.
It was the car he ran at Donington owned by Luke Sargeant. Sargeant will run the Elantra that Files raced instead of that i30 for the rest of the year.

The Nordpass car was run by Jamsport and is still on the sidelines, they don't own it, they were contracted for media day. Someone at Jamsport said that Mitchell doesn't think he can win in the car, so it looks like he's joining them to race on the TOCA support bill.
Old 11 Apr 2023, 13:30 (Ref:4151099)   #166
Andrew Abbott
Racer

England
Shrewsbury
Andrew Abbott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Some more data (NGTC vs TCR), not considering weather / track temperature / season etc. follows:

Fastest Brands Hatch Indy qualifying laps:

NGTC - 2022, Colin Turkington, BMW 330e M Sport, 47.539
TCR - 2018, Dan Lloyd, Volkswagen Golf GTi TCR, 48.483 (+0.944s)

Fastest Donington Park National qualifying laps:

NGTC - 2022, Jake Hill, BMW 330e M Sport, 1:08.418
TCR - 2022, Adam Shepherd, Hyundai i30 N TCR, 1:09.890 (+1.472s)

Fastest Oulton Park Island qualifying laps:

NGTC - 2022, Tom Ingram, Hyundai i30 N Fastback, 1:25.468
TCR - 2022, Max Hart, Hyundai i30 N TCR, 1:26.952 (+1.484s)

Fastest Croft qualifying lap:

NGTC - 2022, Colin Turkington, BMW 330e M Sport - 1:22.468
TCR - 2019, Lewis Kent, Hyundai i30 N TCR - 1:23.309 (+0.841s)
Old 13 Apr 2023, 08:22 (Ref:4151300)   #167
coffinpilot
Racer

Bruce Winfields Mum has put up a gofundme. I heard gthat he didn't have the full money for the year. but that means that three of the top four on the grid for Snetterton are short.
Files admitted he didn't have budget for anything and will be coaching, Shepherd said in a press release that they didn't have the full year. And now Winfield?
Not good look is it?
Old 13 Apr 2023, 09:31 (Ref:4151305)   #168
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
While not strictly for TCR UK, it is about TCR in the UK.

BEC (British Endurance Championship) have been granted official TCR Class license from WSC. IMO this will support more teams getting cars which can run in 2 official championships

https://www.british-endurance-champi...fficial-stamp/
Old 13 Apr 2023, 11:19 (Ref:4151309)   #169
redshoes
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by antnee View Post
BEC (British Endurance Championship) have been granted official TCR Class license from WSC. IMO this will support more teams getting cars which can run in 2 official championships
How much difference will it actually make? BEC already had a class for TCR homologated cars running to WSC regs/BOP. This just allows them to use the official TCR branding, and presumably they will now be included in the TCR World Rankings.
Old 13 Apr 2023, 12:36 (Ref:4151319)   #170
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
How much difference will it actually make? BEC already had a class for TCR homologated cars running to WSC regs/BOP. This just allows them to use the official TCR branding, and presumably they will now be included in the TCR World Rankings.
I'd say very little. Given that there are few drivers that are using TCR cars in various club racing series, I'd suggest that most drivers chose the series that most appeals and not whether it is an 'official' TCR competition.
Old 13 Apr 2023, 15:25 (Ref:4151341)   #171
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Presumably there are a greater proportion of amateur drivers who aren't pushing the cars as hard as professionals/semi-professionals. The cars themselves shouldn't look that much slower.
Old 17 Apr 2023, 14:13 (Ref:4152000)   #172
SSmith
Veteran

SSmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lewis Brown switching to Volcano Motorsport and Audi in TCR Europe, joining up with Isaac Smith. Its a great opportunity for him. It takes a championship contender away from TCR UK, but the chances of bigger and better things career-wise are probably greater competing in TCR Europe than TCR UK.

https://www.touringcartimes.com/2023...europe-switch/
Old 17 Apr 2023, 15:41 (Ref:4152010)   #173
coffinpilot
Racer

So Lewis Brown has gone. Adam Shepherd entered the season without a full budget. Bruce Winfield's Mum has a gofundme for him, the Elantra will possibly be driven by someone who has never raced occasionally and Files was a one off. Rick Kerry was announced as Snetterton only.
Not as healthy as first thought with Neil Trotter gone and Jamie Tonks trying to raise money for the next races.
Still looks like 19 cars for round 2.
Old 17 Apr 2023, 16:05 (Ref:4152015)   #174
SSmith
Veteran

SSmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffinpilot View Post
So Lewis Brown has gone. Adam Shepherd entered the season without a full budget. Bruce Winfield's Mum has a gofundme for him, the Elantra will possibly be driven by someone who has never raced occasionally and Files was a one off. Rick Kerry was announced as Snetterton only.
Not as healthy as first thought with Neil Trotter gone and Jamie Tonks trying to raise money for the next races.
All does not seem completely well in TCR UK. The Chameleon-entered CUPRA seemed competitive so I wonder if someone else will pay to race it.

Thinking positively though, we should still see some decent racing and entries should remain far higher than we saw pre-2022.
Old 17 Apr 2023, 16:46 (Ref:4152019)   #175
redshoes
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffinpilot View Post
Files was always a one-off. Luke Sargeant should be in the car for the rest of the year.

Kerry original said he would do Snetterton and then see how things went before committing to any more. Most recent comments I've seen from him were positive so hopefully he'll be back.

The fluctuating entry list and drivers doing part seasons shouldn't come as a huge surprise to anyone, it's been like that since day one. It's the same for any other series at this level.