Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Jul 2011, 07:30 (Ref:2927604)   #26
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Rosberg anyone?

Fast error free and pretty consistent.
Schumacher is on the up too.

Hamilton makes too many errors, and loses too many points in the process for me to rate him as a top driver.
Britain, had at least to forays into the parking lots, and finally collected Massa on the final lap. Monaco ...just horrible.
Old 17 Jul 2011, 08:05 (Ref:2927615)   #27
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Rosberg has never stuck me as a champion in the making. He's deserving of a decent seat like he's currently got but just isn't very consistent or quick enough wnut. He's not top 3, or in the group immediatley below.

Kobayashi gives the impression that he could do some serious work in a top car, but even then i'm still not totally convinced yet, he's got his work cut out as it is with Perez.
Old 17 Jul 2011, 21:33 (Ref:2927840)   #28
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Interestingly, Lewis's best mate in F1, Adrian Sutil, when interviewed by the Formula 1 website, said he's go for Vettel and Alonso if he could pick any 2 current drivers if he was team owner. here
Old 17 Jul 2011, 21:49 (Ref:2927843)   #29
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Well Adrian is not a team owner, so does it matter what he thinks? and that is an easy pick to be honest...
Old 17 Jul 2011, 22:47 (Ref:2927869)   #30
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The thing for me that's a question mark over Alonso as the very best is his season alongside Hamilton. If they were more or less equal in a driver's first season, how could Alonso be better, you might think?

One thing is however that Hamilton does not appear to have improved much from the first half of his first season, as someone else touched on. This demonstrates what a remarkable and astonishing 2007 he had, particularly in that first part. It's almost like he has such a natural feel for a car that he hit his peak from the very beginning, and we've never seen that before or since (yet).

Vettel is a fantastic driver, but I would like to see what he would do now in a recalcitrant car.
Old 17 Jul 2011, 23:56 (Ref:2927884)   #31
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Rosberg has never stuck me as a champion in the making. He's deserving of a decent seat like he's currently got but just isn't very consistent or quick enough wnut. He's not top 3, or in the group immediatley below.

Kobayashi gives the impression that he could do some serious work in a top car, but even then i'm still not totally convinced yet, he's got his work cut out as it is with Perez.
I would have agreed absolutely with your assessment of Rosberg until he joined Schumacher at Mercedes. While I accept Schumacher was rusty at the beginning. Rosberg's 2010 campaign was flawless and much better than Schumacher's and it is this I find difficult to reconcile with my perception of Rosberg.

Kobayashi I think is still very much a loose cannon, and I think Perez may prove to be the better.
Old 18 Jul 2011, 02:59 (Ref:2927908)   #32
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
I would have agreed absolutely with your assessment of Rosberg until he joined Schumacher at Mercedes. While I accept Schumacher was rusty at the beginning. Rosberg's 2010 campaign was flawless and much better than Schumacher's and it is this I find difficult to reconcile with my perception of Rosberg.

Kobayashi I think is still very much a loose cannon, and I think Perez may prove to be the better.
I find it very difficult to compare Rosberg vs Schumacher. Definitely in his prime, Schumacher would beat Rosberg, Vettel, Alonso, Hamilton, in my opinion.

But what's difficult to judge now is how far out of his prime is Schumacher? Is Rosberg's advantage down to just being very, very quick, or is it because Michael is nowhere near his pace even of 2005/2006? I don't think we'll really know until either Michael starts consistently beating Rosberg, or Rosberg faces a different teammate. He was too new to properly compare to Webber in 2006 and his only other teammates were Nakajima (who he dominated) and Wurz.
Old 18 Jul 2011, 16:03 (Ref:2928150)   #33
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Well Adrian is not a team owner, so does it matter what he thinks? and that is an easy pick to be honest...
We're not team owners but we still put our opinions forward
Old 18 Jul 2011, 17:06 (Ref:2928182)   #34
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The things that strikes me most, is that Vettel and Alonso seem to keep improving year on year. For Vettel in particular(yes he has the Red Bull, and that does help), with him being so young. Hamilton by contrast, doesn't seem to be improving. After his amazing year in 2007, he seems to just be at the same level(maybe even getting worse in some cases).
Old 19 Jul 2011, 14:10 (Ref:2928583)   #35
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripedcat View Post
The things that strikes me most, is that Vettel and Alonso seem to keep improving year on year. For Vettel in particular(yes he has the Red Bull, and that does help), with him being so young. Hamilton by contrast, doesn't seem to be improving. After his amazing year in 2007, he seems to just be at the same level(maybe even getting worse in some cases).
This is such a difficult assessment to make because the car differences significantly camouflage the driver performances. The only thing we can compare with clarity are the team mates.

o Red Bull.
One would have to say that Vettel is quicker than Webber over a single lap... and probably over a race distance too.

o McLaren.
Hamilton is faster than Button over a single lap, but is much harder on his rear tyres and that compromises his races, particularly in mixed conditions.

o Ferrari.
This year Alonso has been consistently quicker than Massa in qualifying and has outshone him in the races too. It wasn't as clear cut last year though.

o Mercedes.
Rosberg has consistently outgunned Schumacher in qualifying, but more recently, Schumacher is probably on a par with him in race conditions. The problem here, and for the rest of the mid-back pack is that its so easy to get caught up in trouble that its a clear cut assessment of their relative race performances is not as easy as those in the front couple of teams.
Old 20 Jul 2011, 00:28 (Ref:2928775)   #36
herowassenna
Veteran

herowassenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post

I'm sorry, but Fernando took 7 wins (same as Michael) 7 second places (alot better than Michael) and they both had 2 retirements. Yes, Michael had trouble in the last race, finishing 4th, but that's off set by Alonso only managing 5th at Germany. Plus Fernando did Michael by 13 points. Fernando was by far, the more deserving driver that year.
Not forgetting that Ferrari got the mass-damper banned that season because they couldn't get one to work. A system that Renault had used for 2 years prior and suddenly deemed a moving aero device.
Ferrari done the same thing with Michelin in 2003 when they argued that measurement of the Michelins allowed them to run wider tyres.
Look at that Ferrari getting the regs sorted out for them.
BTW, in case you don't know, I'm an Italian Ferrari fan...
Old 20 Jul 2011, 00:45 (Ref:2928779)   #37
herowassenna
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
The thing for me that's a question mark over Alonso as the very best is his season alongside Hamilton. If they were more or less equal in a driver's first season, how could Alonso be better, you might think?
I don't think Joe Public has ever been told that full story to be honest.
I can't remember if it was Joe Saward, Andrew Benson or some such blog, but the article backed Alonso's difficulties quite considerably, The author spoke of Ron Dennis and essentially the team favouring Hamilton over Alonso from pretty early on.
Mention was made of Dennis having to pacify Alonso at Bahrain, the 3rd GP of the season.
Then critically he asked Alonso after winning the Monaco GP from pole etc to make up some story about the team and Hamilton.
By the time of Hungary where he blocked Hamilton in the pits, after Hamilton had gone against team instruction for qualifying they were at war and Alonso dropped the team in the s**t with the emails and copying Ferrari secrets. Alonso was never going to be a team patsy like Coulthard was during his time there.
I doubt he's particularly proud of his actions, but I think you get those two together, it would be a vastly different Alonso now.

To go back to thread, Alonso, head and shoulders clear. I don't think Vettel would be dominating if Alonso was teamed with him at Red Bull.

What makes me laugh is how for years drivers like Prost, Lauda, Stewart were considered boring because they didn't hustle a car, yet now we're going on about Top Gear and smoothness... If i remember right, wasn't Lewis's lap in the wet round there?
Old 20 Jul 2011, 05:51 (Ref:2928809)   #38
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by herowassenna View Post
If i remember right, wasn't Lewis's lap in the wet round there?
Marked as wet and oily on the power lap board...
Old 20 Jul 2011, 11:46 (Ref:2928937)   #39
luke g28
Racer

luke g28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridluke g28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubble View Post
Marked as wet and oily on the power lap board...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbc
The 22-year-old's lap was 0.3 seconds behind The Stig's blistering best of one minute 44.4 seconds and also behind former F1 world champion Nigel Mansell.
However, Hamilton's lap came in wet conditions, unlike the other two.
4 seconds quicker on a dry track? Cant remember off the top of my head what Vettels time was but dont think it was 1:40 dead.

IIRC one of the cars topgear was testing had blown left gearbox oil all over the track before hammy went out
Old 20 Jul 2011, 12:45 (Ref:2928969)   #40
Mr V
Veteran

England
So it's official. Lewis is actually 4 seconds a lap faster than anyone else in the same car
Old 20 Jul 2011, 13:48 (Ref:2929002)   #41
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke g28 View Post
4 seconds quicker on a dry track? Cant remember off the top of my head what Vettels time was but dont think it was 1:40 dead.
Rubens' previous best was 1m 44.3s. Vettel did a 1m 44s dead. The present Stig hasn't set a time in that car, but I'm getting the impression he's faster than the old one.
Old 20 Jul 2011, 13:54 (Ref:2929006)   #42
herowassenna
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
Rubens' previous best was 1m 44.3s. Vettel did a 1m 44s dead. The present Stig hasn't set a time in that car, but I'm getting the impression he's faster than the old one.
Hammy done a lap in 1m 44.7, wet and oily track.
Regarding the Stig, I get the impression that he's quicker than the old one. Any rumours on who he is?
Old 20 Jul 2011, 14:12 (Ref:2929016)   #43
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by herowassenna View Post
Hammy done a lap in 1m 44.7, wet and oily track.
Regarding the Stig, I get the impression that he's quicker than the old one. Any rumours on who he is?
In DTM touring car series in the mid-90s, there used to be a driver of year-old cars from Berlin, Germany, by the name of Stig Amthor. If it was him, he probably would not need to disguise himself because of his first name. ;-)
Old 21 Jul 2011, 00:36 (Ref:2929223)   #44
wnut
Veteran

Times guys

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gea...ack#F1_drivers

The new Stig can't be that fast, how many weeks would it take to get him a spare 5 mins to set a time?
Old 21 Jul 2011, 00:38 (Ref:2929224)   #45
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
So it's official. Lewis is actually 4 seconds a lap faster than anyone else in the same car

There we go! Pat on the head for you!
Old 21 Jul 2011, 03:00 (Ref:2929246)   #46
Mr V
Veteran

England
So why isn't Lewis 4 seconds a lap faster than Jenson every thime they get in their respective McLarens?

And how come Jenson was only 2 tenths slower between his hot weather lap and the falling snow lap
Old 21 Jul 2011, 04:10 (Ref:2929255)   #47
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In answer to the thread question... Alonso.

Vettel is a very close second, followed by Hamilton and Kubica (hopefully he returns)...

As far as complete package goes, I personally don't see how there could be an argument against Alonso...
Old 21 Jul 2011, 09:47 (Ref:2929326)   #48
wnut
Veteran

Ask Ron Dennis why Alonso isn't the complete package!
Old 21 Jul 2011, 09:52 (Ref:2929329)   #49
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
So why isn't Lewis 4 seconds a lap faster than Jenson every thime they get in their respective McLarens?
Maybe Jens hasn't spent as much time as Lewis doing donuts in his road car!

And how come Jenson was only 2 tenths slower between his hot weather lap and the falling snow lap [/QUOTE]

Maybe the engine makes more power with cold air, and the grip is pretty non existant either way.
Old 21 Jul 2011, 09:54 (Ref:2929332)   #50
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Ask Ron Dennis why Alonso isn't the complete package!
Because he had a problem with McLaren playing favourites...? Because instead of getting mad he got even...? Purely as a racing driver, I just don't see any weaknesses with Alonso... he's fast in every situation, he's smart, his racecraft is examplary and he refuses to give in...