Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 3 Feb 2007, 19:11 (Ref:1832725)   #176
nev
Racer

nev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider
but the present arrangement is what Team GBR and Jarvis agreed and their opinions count for more than yours.

It doesn't look as though Kerr is going back to the WSR, so I guess he's become a career A1GP driver.

I think your wrong here about the so called "arrangement" if Jarvis was better than Robbie then he would be driving. The team are fully aware who is the better racer here and thats where it stops. I know that jarvis has been doing a lot of the donkey work but if he showed exceptional form Kerr would be out.

And as far as going back to WSR, i wouldn't put any driver through that shambles again. It does look grim at the moment for Robbie but where should he put his efforts, A1 or looking for another drive this season. Don't bite the hand that feeds cos theres not many out there.
Old 5 Feb 2007, 20:17 (Ref:1834175)   #177
Sev
Veteran

Sev has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
It really does puzzle me. The UK has so many drivers who are quite frankly better than Kerr (and Manning) in my opinion. Quick list:
Conway
Di Resta
Carroll
All of those drivers would love the attention that A1 gives, and frankly all deserve it as well. Gah
Old 5 Feb 2007, 23:02 (Ref:1834300)   #178
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Kerr is quick and aggressive from what I've seen,you guys had a chap called Hunt who came from the same mould a few years back,what you complaining about?.
Old 6 Feb 2007, 13:08 (Ref:1834679)   #179
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Adam Carroll doesn't land in Champ Cars then I hope he gets a shot. Not knocking Kerr though - he's doing an adequate job - nothing stunning....just adequate.
Old 7 Feb 2007, 12:33 (Ref:1835393)   #180
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If I remember correctly Adam Carroll was offered a test before the first season and he turned it down. Same for Rossiter I think.
Old 7 Feb 2007, 14:16 (Ref:1835466)   #181
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Correct about Carroll, but at that time he had a link with Honda, which he has since severed, so he should be available now, but maybe he's burnt his bridges with the team.

Rossiter did test, although ironically he, too, was linked with Honda and has now become an official test driver for them.

I think he was quick at the A1GP test, but the conditions were not the same over the two days so it was difficult to make comparisons. John Surtees seems to have a soft spot towards BRDC Autosport McLaren Young Drivers, e.g. Alex Lloyd last year and Oli Jarvis this season.
Old 7 Feb 2007, 17:55 (Ref:1835629)   #182
nev
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi3
If I remember correctly Adam Carroll was offered a test before the first season and he turned it down. Same for Rossiter I think.
didn't rossiter test the A1 at Brands the first year with Kerr Alex and Firman.

And rossiter put the car in the kitty litter.
Old 17 Feb 2007, 13:12 (Ref:1843688)   #183
lovebritF3
Rookie

England
lovebritF3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i might be being stupid, but i thought carroll was irish?
Old 17 Feb 2007, 13:54 (Ref:1843716)   #184
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
northern irish. thus part of the united kingdom of great britain and northern ireland, but arguably not part of great britain...
Old 17 Feb 2007, 22:03 (Ref:1843992)   #185
flexible-flyer
Veteran

Northern Ireland
the british isles/ireland/ze vorrrld
flexible-flyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
its good being northern irish because you can pick and choose! i always find it funny seeing richard lyons' helmet plastered with shamrocks when it used to have a big union jack on it!

carroll was all set to test for a1 but there was a misunderstanding with surtees so he dropped out before they even tested with the f3000 cars. shame because you can bet your arse he would be doing a better job than the current monk...er, driver..!
Old 18 Feb 2007, 09:20 (Ref:1844183)   #186
Kebab
Racer

Kebab has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Lets also not forget that driver choice will also come down to personalities and who will work well with the team hierarchy.

I heard a bit about why Carroll didn't test the A1 car and there was no mention of a 'misunderstanding'. Quite the opposite.

Have Kerr & Carroll ever driven in the same series so we can make an educated comparison?
Old 18 Feb 2007, 16:12 (Ref:1844409)   #187
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
If I were you, I wouldn't bring personalities into the equation, because Adam Carroll has one.
Old 18 Feb 2007, 17:16 (Ref:1844455)   #188
Kebab
Racer

Kebab has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Like it or not, it is in the equation and if the powers that be behind any team don't like a driver then its game over.

I don't know Adam, but I've heard he isn't everyone's cup of tea. Just as Kerr isn't the favoured driver for some people here! Very few people are so likable they can work with anyone.

I would never be so brash as to assume I know a man from seeing him in short clips on TV.
Old 18 Feb 2007, 18:27 (Ref:1844502)   #189
flexible-flyer
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebab
I heard a bit about why Carroll didn't test the A1 car and there was no mention of a 'misunderstanding'. Quite the opposite.
you must have only heard surtees' side of the argument then.

trust me, if its personality you want then adam is your man. if its a quick driver you want, then, again, adam is a fine choice. dont recall carroll and kerr ever mixing it up except in 2002 when they both won their respective classes in british f3. and no doubt if adam was driving in the same class as kerr that year, even in another team, i would say kerr would have got spanked.

robbie is a nice enough guy and a decent enough driver but adam is in another league on both counts....so much so infact that i wouldnt want to see him a1 unless its a last resort. i would personally rather see him drive for ireland anyway!
Old 18 Feb 2007, 23:34 (Ref:1844990)   #190
nev
Racer

[QUOTE=flexible-flyer] and no doubt if adam was driving in the same class as kerr that year, even in another team, i would say kerr would have got spanked.
QUOTE]

Like Carol did in his two seasons of GP2, what did he do after winning the scholarship class in F3 in the ex jag car !! did he try to compete in something else before GP2 - can't remember
Old 19 Feb 2007, 13:29 (Ref:1845515)   #191
flexible-flyer
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by nev
Like Carol did in his two seasons of GP2, what did he do after winning the scholarship class in F3 in the ex jag car !! did he try to compete in something else before GP2 - can't remember
well in 2003, due to having no stable budget, he drove for about 5 different teams, across 2 different series, impressing every time, though....and in 2004 he ran piquet and his millions right to the wire in british f3. if piquet did a courtney then carroll would have done a kerr! and british f3 in 2004 had some talent driving in it.
Old 19 Feb 2007, 18:39 (Ref:1845685)   #192
nev
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexible-flyer
and british f3 in 2004 had some talent driving in it.
Didn't Robbie race with Kovalainen in F3 (Talent)

Last edited by nev; 19 Feb 2007 at 18:45.
Old 19 Feb 2007, 20:46 (Ref:1845773)   #193
lovebritF3
Rookie

England
lovebritF3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ye in 2002 robbie won, courtney second, then there was a group including kovalainen and carbone cant remember the others
Old 20 Feb 2007, 03:10 (Ref:1846041)   #194
blew by u
Rookie

blew by u should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
heres something for you jonny reid has a british mother and apparently has british citizenship maybe he could drive
Old 20 Feb 2007, 08:53 (Ref:1846173)   #195
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey hands off Jonny! Once you've chosen a country you cannot change anyway according to A1GP Sporting Regulations.
Old 20 Feb 2007, 11:55 (Ref:1846341)   #196
flexible-flyer
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by nev
Didn't Robbie race with Kovalainen in F3 (Talent)
too right.
Old 20 Feb 2007, 12:17 (Ref:1846355)   #197
ISPL
Rookie

United Kingdom
ISPL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[quote=flexible-flyer]dont recall carroll and kerr ever mixing it up except in 2002 when they both won their respective classes in british f3. and no doubt if adam was driving in the same class as kerr that year, even in another team, i would say kerr would have got spanked.[quote]

I have some glasses without a rose coloured tint if you ever want to borrow them.
Old 20 Feb 2007, 12:31 (Ref:1846364)   #198
Sid The Manager
Racer

Sid The Manager should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've still got stats about F3 2001 from dealing with Robbie then if you're interested.
10 Wins
16 Podium finishes (62% of races)
10 Pole positions (38% of races)
8 Fastest Laps

Lowest qualifying 7th place

3 dnf (one was DQ)

Started 22 0f 26 races from front two rows (85% of races)
Started 16 of 26 races from front row (62% of races)
Old 20 Feb 2007, 12:39 (Ref:1846370)   #199
Sid The Manager
Racer

Sid The Manager should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2002 for Robbie in championship class was
26 races
5 poles
15 front row starts
16 podiums, 9 wins
4 dnf

Bruce Jouanny featured high up in the championship that year too.
You also have to remember both years run on a shoestring with unfancied teams, Fred Goddard 2001, ADR 2002.
Old 20 Feb 2007, 16:45 (Ref:1846549)   #200
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Those are some pretty numbers, but ultimately meaningless.

Yeah, he succeeded in F3. But his career is stagnant and he has been found out as average.

And onto the next driver.