Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 21 Sep 2003, 20:51 (Ref:725810)   #1
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
6 hrs of Mt. Tremblant

race started out pretty good, more exciting than the 16 hours of nascar at dover-jeez those races are way too long for no reason...
anyway- the race started out good, a nice dispplay of DP scrapping, but then some boredom set in and 'everyone pushes in a race shorter than the 24hr of daytona comment' was spoken and then every one started pacing themselves (except borcheller and papis go man go!)
it seem that GARRA only wants to showcase the DP's and the GT GTS classes seemed absent in the coverage. the occasional wreck of a gt was what would bring a camera around, very directed for 'DP success'
it seems that GARRA wants a DP only series, and if they are going to suffer small fields bring in the touring cars superproduction GT to fill in the very small 'under DP' class-oop that is what they are doing next year.
Seriously the race was ok and DP's put on a good race but where was everyone else? the ALMS grid looks like Rushhour incomparison.
Old 21 Sep 2003, 21:46 (Ref:725846)   #2
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sorry, GARRA?
Old 21 Sep 2003, 21:50 (Ref:725848)   #3
Patrick B
Racer

Canada
Canada
Patrick B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Everyone else is waiting for thier DP's to be built. There should be over 10 DP's at the Daytona finale. There is presently 29 DP's built or under construction so thing's look very good for the future it's just going to take time.
Old 21 Sep 2003, 21:56 (Ref:725854)   #4
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by pirenzo
Sorry, GARRA?
That's Grand American Road Racing Association.
Old 21 Sep 2003, 21:58 (Ref:725856)   #5
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Doh! Thanks Fish.

Patrick, you make "over 10 DP's" sound like a good thing. It's not exactly a crowd is it?
Old 21 Sep 2003, 23:31 (Ref:725923)   #6
Patrick B
Racer

Canada
Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by pirenzo
Doh! Thanks Fish.

Patrick, you make "over 10 DP's" sound like a good thing. It's not exactly a crowd is it?
Not a crowd, but since most of the year there were only 4 DP's it will be nice to see double digit's.
Old 22 Sep 2003, 03:34 (Ref:725972)   #7
RacingManiac
Racer

RacingManiac should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does the allotament of Sascha Massen to Brumos car for the race in which is critical for the Championship means that Porsche factory is actually taking a formal interest in their success in the series? And the fact that they talked about Alvin Springer(sp?) was there to take input for further development for the motor.....
Old 22 Sep 2003, 16:31 (Ref:726630)   #8
gttouring
Veteran

well the DP's and the series does offer a fantastic test bed for manufacturer engine projects as they don't need to appear directly involved- the cars being branded Engine Manufacturer and Chassis Brand. (porsche fabcar, toyota doran, BMW Picchio...) so they can make a few goodies and test them like crazy and have no fear of losing face as they would at LeMans or PetitLemans or Sebring
so porsche can make a verymighty H6 making 500 N/A horses iron out the kinks and stick it in a Carrera as a gt car san's turbos... or Toyota can develop their 4.3 litre V8 to make 500+ horsies and then offer a very reliable 400+ customer car of similar specs-after all the BMW Picchio uses an M5 V8 and it shows well but BMW doesn't really need to worry about the performance as the DP's aren't nearly as highprofile as an LMP1- oddly though everyone talks about them
Old 22 Sep 2003, 23:34 (Ref:727164)   #9
slicktsax
Racer

slicktsax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
well the DP's do offer good close racing but i say they need like another 100 horsepower. and they do look weird but some grow on ya. i like the Doran JE4 and the multimatic ford, the picchio and fabcar are but ugly. but anyway 15 DP's one track will make intersting racing
Old 23 Sep 2003, 02:06 (Ref:727228)   #10
Patrick B
Racer

Canada
Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by RacingManiac
Does the allotament of Sascha Massen to Brumos car for the race in which is critical for the Championship means that Porsche factory is actually taking a formal interest in their success in the series? And the fact that they talked about Alvin Springer(sp?) was there to take input for further development for the motor.....
A couple fact's-

Brumos has ordered a 3rd Fabcar chassis.

Alex Job Racing helped run the 24 with Brumos.

Porsche factory driver Sasha Massen was in the Brumos Porsche last weekend.

Alvin(or is it Alwin) Springer was at the last race.

Rumor's are AJR is considering a DP next year and to me the above point's to that.
Old 23 Sep 2003, 02:17 (Ref:727232)   #11
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
billnchristy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just got back from Mt. Tremblant, havent got to sit down and watch the speed coverage...

Its a shame though that they didnt show much GTS (as noted above) Joao Barbosa drove the 48 Mustang like a bat out of hell gaining 5 laps back, he passed every car in the pack (including all DPs) and was either passing or gaining seconds on a car every lap, only to have the tranny go out in the last 40 mins...a great run though...

As for the DPs, seeing them upclose will change most peoples minds about their appearance...they dont look like they do in pictures. I thought they were pretty ungainly before, but after standing next to one, I am a little more impressed. And they sound great too, that Toyota has a bark like you wouldnt believe!!

There definitely needs to be more competitors, but it looks to me like GA has the idea right, there was a ton of passing during this race and I only saw one corner most of the time!
Old 23 Sep 2003, 02:21 (Ref:727236)   #12
RacingManiac
Racer

RacingManiac should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What's with that though, with Barbosa driving the Mustang, what happened to Mosler?
Old 23 Sep 2003, 02:33 (Ref:727239)   #13
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Doran's Doran is attractive! I like it better then the Bell car. The Fabcars still are the most 'flounderish' looking car I have ever seen. Much more then any 907/908 series Porsche.
Old 23 Sep 2003, 02:54 (Ref:727243)   #14
Chevyguy
Racer

Chevyguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A 1-2 for Brumos, very well done. Also, I beleive that would be G&W's best result so far, right? gttouring, right on about Borchellar, but I didn't get to see much of Papis. The Rennworks/Ferrari of Washington battle was long and hard fought. These cars are coming along. billnchristy, I of the impression they are much less hideous when gazed upon in 3D.

"No matter where you go, there you are"-Pigkiller
Old 23 Sep 2003, 13:29 (Ref:727736)   #15
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Patrick B
Rumor's are AJR is considering a DP next year and to me the above point's to that.
I thought Burd Phillips had scotched that rumour as less and less likely as time goes on?
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 23 Sep 2003, 16:20 (Ref:727866)   #16
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You could put Sascha in a fork lift and he'd still win.

I got very confused trying to watch this race, as they kept saying they were going to cut off to AMA Superbikes and then the next time I looked up they were still racing cars, or maybe talking about bikes, or wait, no, those are cars, no, now it's bikes -- or -- I finally gave up and just left the TV on talking to itself and just looked up for the crashes.
Old 23 Sep 2003, 18:10 (Ref:727966)   #17
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I just can't get excited about watching a Mustang on steroids blowing the doors off of prototypes in straight-line speed....I'm STILL watching, and I'm still trying to keep an open mind on this new direction for Grand Am, but every time I watch it, I can't help but think....

"Contrived Competition to make the DPs look good by dumbing down the rest of the series...."

I guess I just don't get it....help me out her, guys!!!!

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 23 Sep 2003, 18:47 (Ref:728003)   #18
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
Well, the Mustang on steroids will be gone next year, so it wont be doing much of that anymore...

Here is the big picture, the GTS Mustang has basically a Busch series engine in it.
The Multimatic for instance has a modular Ford V8...this engine can rev. to 10k rpm, but is limited to 7k based on the equalization rule that was put into effect for the DPs (everything equaling a porsche engine)...

Watching the speeds of the Mustang, they were more or less equal to the DPs, and regardless of what others may say, these cars are faster than GT cars, even on an evil course like Mt. Tremblant the DPs were still outrunning the GT cars.

I think the direction will be clearer next year when the GTS class (the biggest thorn in GAs side this year) is gone and nothing but cookie cutter GT remains...
Old 23 Sep 2003, 19:15 (Ref:728024)   #19
gttouring
Veteran

don't the DP's in practice end up acting like a GTS class, and filling in the spot above a GT, and introducing the big Touringcars from GrandAm (SGS class) to fill in the lower void, why not? if DP's can run with the GTS cars than maybe ALMS could let them in as a GTS so everyone can play everywhere...lol
GA is building up their own system, i guess its ok its the whole classification thing-don't worry if DP's are the top class, let it sort itself out...
Old 23 Sep 2003, 23:01 (Ref:728197)   #20
Chevyguy
Racer

Chevyguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
About that Mustang on steroids, it's trainers will have a DP to 'roid out next year. Heritage is a Toyota/Ford dealership, so it will be one or the other, right? Those guys look, sound, and act like the type (stereotype?) that would be good at givin' an old Stang engine roid rage. Use the Ford, Heritage! There's enough Toyotas.

Last edited by Chevyguy; 23 Sep 2003 at 23:03.

"No matter where you go, there you are"-Pigkiller
Old 24 Sep 2003, 01:34 (Ref:728262)   #21
Patrick B
Racer

Canada
Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Chevyguy
About that Mustang on steroids, it's trainers will have a DP to 'roid out next year. Heritage is a Toyota/Ford dealership, so it will be one or the other, right? Those guys look, sound, and act like the type (stereotype?) that would be good at givin' an old Stang engine roid rage. Use the Ford, Heritage! There's enough Toyotas.
If Heritage get's a DP it will be the Multimatic Ford. I Think i heard...
Old 24 Sep 2003, 02:09 (Ref:728280)   #22
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
Dont believe all you hear...