Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Jan 2016, 20:58 (Ref:3604177)   #301
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
Magnussen in talks with Renault, to possibly replace Maldonado:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mot...xt-season.html
That would be great. But can Renault afford to lose PDVSA?
Old 12 Jan 2016, 21:22 (Ref:3604182)   #302
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i doubt they'd be talking to magnussen and letting it get out in the press if they couldn't afford to lose the maldonado dollar...
Old 12 Jan 2016, 21:39 (Ref:3604186)   #303
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I really don't follow Maldonado, but if his the money is still coming from PDVSA... Is that a stable source of money that you would want to count upon when creating a budget? Venezuela is in political and economic turmoil and I think I read that PDVSA has it's own debt issues to deal with.

Richard
Old 12 Jan 2016, 22:13 (Ref:3604191)   #304
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And I have a sneaky feeling that their payment for Maldonaldo is made a year in advance, so the old team received it.
Old 12 Jan 2016, 22:32 (Ref:3604197)   #305
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
And I have a sneaky feeling that their payment for Maldonaldo is made a year in advance, so the old team received it.
In that case it's bye bye Pastor?

Can't help but think even though he costs a fair bit in spare parts. he's a quicker driver than Palmer though. ..
Old 12 Jan 2016, 22:40 (Ref:3604201)   #306
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I suspect that Renault might be looking at Magnussen as a third driver in 2016 and an option for a race drive the following year.

They could then choose whether to keep him depending on getting a top name or let him develop into a team leader. I can't see them keeping Maldonado beyond next year. It will also depend on how well Palmer gets on. If he beats his team mate every other Sunday then it might be more difficult for Magnussen.
Old 12 Jan 2016, 23:11 (Ref:3604213)   #307
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i think it would be a great signing. and i would think it works better for Renault if they can take PDVSA off of their cars and put Total or Elf back on.
Old 13 Jan 2016, 13:03 (Ref:3604364)   #308
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
i think it would be a great signing. and i would think it works better for Renault if they can take PDVSA off of their cars and put Total or Elf back on.
I think thats a good call, probably the real reason as the renault team seems to be coming accross as a very French patriotic affair......therefore I thought JEV would have gotten the seat on the basis that he is French, but really between both him and Magnassen there probably aint much in it, and if I had to decide I would also choose Magnussen.....they both need more seat time......also the elephant in the room, surely Joylyon Palmer is paying for his seat? as his test appearances have been nothing special, in which case some form of Comma oil branding might appear, so again another reason to get rid of PDVSA
Old 13 Jan 2016, 14:18 (Ref:3604375)   #309
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I really don't follow Maldonado, but if his the money is still coming from PDVSA... Is that a stable source of money that you would want to count upon when creating a budget? Venezuela is in political and economic turmoil and I think I read that PDVSA has it's own debt issues to deal with.

Richard
i think all of those reasons above are good examples of why a huge (nationalist) company like renault really wouldn't fancy being so publicly associated with pdvsa, particularly if the country fell off the perch this season. are they being affected by the low oil prices?
Old 13 Jan 2016, 14:49 (Ref:3604387)   #310
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
....................are they being affected by the low oil prices?
We all are!

PDVSA is part of OPEC and we all know what the means. They can't set their own oil price nor can the stop producing. The upshot is that PDVSA has probably lost 60% of its revenue in the past 12 months.
Old 13 Jan 2016, 15:18 (Ref:3604391)   #311
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
thanks peter, i wasn't sure if they just dealt with their home market or whathaveyou. the intricacies of the oil market are rarely explained to those of us who only put it in our cars
Old 13 Jan 2016, 16:17 (Ref:3604403)   #312
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
i would think it works better for Renault if they can take PDVSA off of their cars and put Total or Elf back on.
Both part of the same company, of course (along with Fina); Elf has more history with Renault. Total sponsor Citroen in the WRC but I don't know if that would have any bearing.
Old 13 Jan 2016, 17:03 (Ref:3604422)   #313
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Both part of the same company, of course (along with Fina); Elf has more history with Renault. Total sponsor Citroen in the WRC but I don't know if that would have any bearing.
true true. the old era turbo Renaults and Alonso's title winning Renault's it was Elf but just trying to think back, i want to say that both Total and Elf logos were on the last Renault factory F1 car possibly only Total by the end.

but that might all be a moot point anyways as i dont know what happened with RB and Total. at the height of their issues in 2015 i seem to recall speculation that Total was also going to break with RB and that they were going to send their money back to Renault to help finance their takeover of Lotus...not sure how any of that played out though once Renault allowed RB to crawl back into their bed.

i guess once the launches start happening we will see how deep the French connection goes.
Old 13 Jan 2016, 17:09 (Ref:3604425)   #314
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Autosport are reporting that some people from Renault are currently in Venezuela to sort out the Maldonado situation. Renault want to change the colour scheme and that has an effect on the PDVSA contact.
There was also a recent election in Venezuela that has led to the previous government losing but they don't want to go quietly and there is a political row going on not to mention the oil price situation.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/122473

Kevin Magnussen is reported to be on the short list of possible replacements.
Old 13 Jan 2016, 20:04 (Ref:3604494)   #315
cameronpoe
Rookie

cameronpoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcameronpoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
Autosport are reporting that some people from Renault are currently in Venezuela to sort out the Maldonado situation. Renault want to change the colour scheme and that has an effect on the PDVSA contact.
There was also a recent election in Venezuela that has led to the previous government losing but they don't want to go quietly and there is a political row going on not to mention the oil price situation.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/122473

Kevin Magnussen is reported to be on the short list of possible replacements.
Kevin has I think sponsorship from a Very wealthy businessman who has Jack Jones among other assets, my son was told by a F1 driver manager that it took a very large payment to get KM into McLaren in 014, so I think he can bring nice sponsorship and talent to Renault so to me looks like a good fit for year 1 , And if he has a good season Renault don't need an expensive No 1 in 2017, I would not be surprised if Palmer has a good season he has loads of experience and the right support, he is at least as good as 50% of the grid for me as is Kevin, JP2 reminds me of a a sort of well heeled media savvy version of Nigel Mansell when he entered F1 back in the very early 80,s and Nigel had a pretty good career!!!.
Old 17 Feb 2016, 18:58 (Ref:3615530)   #316
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
It seems that motorsport journalists have been invited to Indonesian oil company Pertamina head quarters on Thursday. Putting two and two together that can probably mean the final seat in F1 is about to be filled.
Old 18 Feb 2016, 16:23 (Ref:3615760)   #317
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And indeed it is, by Rio Haryanto.
Old 18 Feb 2016, 16:34 (Ref:3615765)   #318
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Neither surprising nor particularly inspiring. It's up to him to prove himself now.
Old 21 Apr 2016, 14:46 (Ref:3635417)   #319
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Marko suggesting that if a RB seat doesnt open up next year Max will be free to look elsewhere for a drive.

although Kvyat really stepped up in China i think there is a strong chance that they find a way to get young Max in there before seasons end. a few races with the 'A' team at the end of 2016 so that he can start his 2017 campaign with a bit more experience.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns33627.html
Old 21 Apr 2016, 15:21 (Ref:3635430)   #320
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Marko suggesting that if a RB seat doesnt open up next year Max will be free to look elsewhere for a drive.

although Kvyat really stepped up in China i think there is a strong chance that they find a way to get young Max in there before seasons end. a few races with the 'A' team at the end of 2016 so that he can start his 2017 campaign with a bit more experience.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns33627.html
I think that for that to happen they will need to know where whichever of the current RB line up is headed before moving anyone around.

Besides I have a feeling that Kyvat, whilst ultimately not on Ricciardo's level, is not far off and would be a decent signing for another squad. But I guess that much depend on how much non red bull backing he has!
Old 21 Apr 2016, 16:04 (Ref:3635442)   #321
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think the best hope of there being a free seat there would be if either of the Dans got an offer from Ferrari.
Old 21 Apr 2016, 16:14 (Ref:3635446)   #322
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
from the article it sounds like DR will not be available to Ferrari but of course who knows at such an early stage.

depending on where RB find themselves in the constructors as the season draws to a close and if they feel their final position has been solidified enough there could be an opportunity to move Max up early

it may be a harsh scheme but on a sporting level the internal competition within the RB clan is intense so i am excited to see how this all plays out.
Old 29 Apr 2016, 09:22 (Ref:3637055)   #323
uncivilsum
Rookie

Netherlands
uncivilsum should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The dutch newspaper "de telegraaf" claims that Verstappen will race for Red Bull Racing next year and that the decision has already been made by Red Bull to do so.

http://www.telegraaf.nl/telesport/au...e_stap___.html
Old 2 May 2016, 19:00 (Ref:3637923)   #324
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Yes. I think MV will be in a Red Bull with Jos backing and management. Also..thought for the day..I can see KR out at Ferrari...who takes that seat? Ricciardo? Or if Lewis "fails" this year? Or? Return of Alonso? Questions, questions...
Old 4 May 2016, 20:21 (Ref:3638550)   #325
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Verstappen & Kyvat To Swap Seats.. Immediately!!

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods