Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 9 Jan 2009, 10:15 (Ref:2368107)   #1
tramker
Rookie

tramker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Charouz to run Lola-Audi TDI ?

http://moto.sport.cz/clanek/142900-c...tory-audi.html

Rough translation:

According to french magazine Auto Hebdo, Charouz Racing System is to run two Lola LMP1's with Audi R10 TDI engine. Antonin Charouz declined to confirm nor deny the news.

Comments ? If true, who would run the team, I can't imagine the project without the level of support at least like he got from AMR.
Old 9 Jan 2009, 10:46 (Ref:2368132)   #2
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Maybe Sam Higgnet is involved again ?

I guessed right then , a TDI engine in a Lola , and ye all said no way !!!
Old 9 Jan 2009, 11:04 (Ref:2368151)   #3
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Wow........if that's true!

There was also that other rumour a while back regarding an LMP1 powered by the FSI engine from the R8.
Old 9 Jan 2009, 11:25 (Ref:2368164)   #4
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
hasnt Audi previously said they wouldnt let privateer teams run the diesel technology as its too complex?.....which I thought was a bit toungue in cheek, as all race cars are a bit complex!........this deal would kinda make sense, as it will possibly cost Audi peanuts, as all hardware is left over from last years LMS campaign....... it will still give good brand exposure with a top flight team.
Old 9 Jan 2009, 11:35 (Ref:2368169)   #5
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
So does this say wether they will run a full LMS including Le mans, will they be likely to get two invites?

Still the best news in ages.
Old 9 Jan 2009, 11:44 (Ref:2368180)   #6
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If this does actually happen, how good will this car be! These blokes went pretty good in '08, with an Aston Martin engine, so with Audi TDI power [ and some assistance from Audi] , it will be something to look forward to.
Old 9 Jan 2009, 11:53 (Ref:2368186)   #7
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PORSCHE917[22]
If this does actually happen, how good will this car be! These blokes went pretty good in '08, with an Aston Martin engine, so with Audi TDI power [ and some assistance from Audi] , it will be something to look forward to.
Hmm, there's a rumour on Mariantic about Kolles or Phoenix running an Audi-Lola, maybe one of those will team up with Charouz??
Old 9 Jan 2009, 12:36 (Ref:2368217)   #8
LeMans.pt
Veteran

Portugal
London, UK
LeMans.pt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty
hasnt Audi previously said they wouldnt let privateer teams run the diesel technology as its too complex?
Yes they did!
Old 9 Jan 2009, 13:26 (Ref:2368241)   #9
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03

There was also that other rumour a while back regarding an LMP1 powered by the FSI engine from the R8.
James , I think that started knocking about as soon as the rumour of Audi power appeared . I think it was a case of almost everybody presuming that the power would be from FSI , and not TDI ?

Im delighted for Charouz , but I really dislike those diesel engines !!!
Old 9 Jan 2009, 13:43 (Ref:2368252)   #10
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
If this is true I wonder if any of Audi drivers will be involved?
Old 9 Jan 2009, 13:48 (Ref:2368257)   #11
full throttle
Racer

full throttle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One would assume the door opened on many possibilities at Audi once they decided to pulkl form LMS and ALMS.
Old 9 Jan 2009, 13:57 (Ref:2368265)   #12
mariantic
Racer

Scotland
Scotland
mariantic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmariantic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03

Not a rumour, a quote from Michael Dick, Board Member for Technical Development at AUDI AG on November 28 2008

http://www.racing1.de/web/le_mans/ar...?newsID=14929&

"Maybe Audi will equip a customer team in the LMS with the TFSI engine from the Audi R8"

Mariantic
Old 9 Jan 2009, 14:02 (Ref:2368267)   #13
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
On a slightly different note, if this deal goes ahead and Charouz also gain a Le Mans entry will they then be able to go for the overall win? The lola chassis was clearly capable last year if it had the correct power plant, the diesel might be exactly the one they need. Sure there is a new Audi coming and Peugeot wont have stood still either, but then neither will Lola. What im asking is, would Charouz likely be under orders from Audi if they are receiving both engines and support from them?
Old 9 Jan 2009, 15:12 (Ref:2368290)   #14
The Badger
Veteran

Clearly capable against an Audi or Pug over 24 hours ..... I somehow have my doubts about that .
Old 9 Jan 2009, 15:38 (Ref:2368296)   #15
naughtymutt
Racer

naughtymutt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wonder if they are giving them the r15 engine as this is supposed to be lighter / better packaged than the r10.

great way for Audi to get some closed-cockpit R&D without having to build a car.
Old 9 Jan 2009, 15:44 (Ref:2368299)   #16
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
Clearly capable against an Audi or Pug over 24 hours ..... I somehow have my doubts about that .
Why? The car could easily have been on the podium last year if it wasnt for Charouz having a accident early on in the race, and let's be honest his pace wasnt as good as either Mucke or Enge. If the car last year had for example Enge/Mucke and someone like Lamy/Kox the car would have been capable of getting on the podium for sure and would IMO have been with in with a outside shot at the overall win.

Now with the R10 engine, which should be more competive than the Aston Martin engine, and 2 new lola chassis which will surely have been upgraded the car should be extremely competitve against the Peugeot's at least, and perhaps the R15, which of course will still be in the process of being developed as its only just entering its first year of racing. That is providing of course that Charouz has enough money to get 3 competitve drivers in 1 car.
Old 9 Jan 2009, 17:22 (Ref:2368355)   #17
Crea
Rookie

England
Crea should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R
.... let's be honest his pace wasnt as good as either Mucke or Enge. If the car last year had for example Enge/Mucke and someone like Lamy/Kox the car would have been capable of getting on the podium for sure and would IMO have been with in with a outside shot at the overall win.
Well, if you analyze Le Mans lap times, you'll see that Charouz wasn't really slower than Enge. In fact, his average lap time during a stint was even faster than Enges.

Best lap
Mücke 3:28.131
Enge 3:29.728
Charouz 3:29.890

Average lap time during best stint
Mücke 3:31.5
Charouz 3:32.4
Enge 3:32.5
Old 9 Jan 2009, 17:41 (Ref:2368370)   #18
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
That may well be true, but im sure that if Enge had more seat time before the race he would have been the quickest driver in that car. As I said before Enge had very little running in the car before Le Mans, Charouz and Mucke on the other hand had pre season testing with the car and 2 LMS races. Look at Enge's career, then compare it to Mucke's/Charouz, Charouz in particular, I think you will find he has acheived far more, and in years to come far more than Mucke too, Enge is still fairly young and we have yet to see the best from him. IMO.
Old 9 Jan 2009, 17:56 (Ref:2368381)   #19
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's definitely true that Enge did not seem to reach his potential in the car. I'm sure it was basically right after the post-accident repair, but it's probably also worth noting that iirc only Mucke had been in the car before Charouz pranged it.

I think all 3 are talented - for a gentleman, you can hardly say Jan Charouz is slow. He basically holds his own against 2 top Prodrive-supported pros in Mucke and Enge. Quickest driver? No, but there are a hell of a lot of people, including a few pure pros, I'd rate him over in the LMS.
Old 9 Jan 2009, 19:08 (Ref:2368425)   #20
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk
I think all 3 are talented - for a gentleman, you can hardly say Jan Charouz is slow. He basically holds his own against 2 top Prodrive-supported pros in Mucke and Enge. Quickest driver? No, but there are a hell of a lot of people, including a few pure pros, I'd rate him over in the LMS.
Oh I agree completely, Charouz is a very good driver and no slouch at all. If however you had a 2 car team and a fairly large budget and could afford to have 3 top line professional drivers in the lead car and were going for a overall win at Le Mans would you choose Jan Charouz over someone like Bouchut/Lamy/Kox/Gavin/Turner?
Old 9 Jan 2009, 19:10 (Ref:2368430)   #21
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
If true it's great news!
Old 9 Jan 2009, 19:36 (Ref:2368448)   #22
Tom908V12
Veteran

France
Paris(France)
Tom908V12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope not !!!! Six Audis against three Peugeots at the 24h of Le Mans...
Old 9 Jan 2009, 19:39 (Ref:2368450)   #23
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom908V12
Time for Peugeot to find some customer teams.

Epsilon-Peugeot ee2, anyone?
Old 9 Jan 2009, 19:39 (Ref:2368452)   #24
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom908V12
Where are Charouz going to get 3 cars from?
Old 9 Jan 2009, 19:45 (Ref:2368455)   #25
Speed-King
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightStalk3r
Where are Charouz going to get 3 cars from?
He said so in an E-I interview, IIRC....