Old 14 Aug 2003, 14:37 (Ref:688200)   #1
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Going to the USGP??

Howdy Folks...

Just wondering if anyone was going to the USGP this year. A bunch of my friends go each year to get away from the girlfriends, and everyone's really excited that we actually have a fight for WDC and WCC on our hands this year... as well as the potential to see a pass or two for position!

So, anybody headed to Indy?
Old 14 Aug 2003, 15:24 (Ref:688236)   #2
Andy Roberts
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Andy Roberts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wish I could. Went to the Indy 500 in 2001 and that place is simply awesome although I bet F1 cars look a tad slow compared to the IRL cars. 245mph for IRL and only 215 for F1. Still there different championships though and as long as Monty whoops em again I'll be happy!

The Brickyard ROCKS!
Old 15 Aug 2003, 22:03 (Ref:689393)   #3
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeh, I'll be going, and I can't wait. This will be my first F1 race and the first time at the Brickyard. I'm going with 3 friends and we're all pumped up. I got the first row in the upper grandstand on the straight by the start-finish line. They sound like good seats anyway!

As for the speed difference, remember, F1 cars have to turn right as well as left, LOL!

Well hope to see you there!

Danica Patrick
Old 15 Sep 2003, 18:42 (Ref:719862)   #4
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its been awhile since this was posted, but with the USGP only 2 weeks away, I thought it would be a good time to revive it.

I know there has to be more TenTenthers going out there, and I would like to meet some, so let me and Shiny Side know and maybe we can hook up and have a beer or two!

Can't wait for this race to get here!

Danica Patrick
Old 15 Sep 2003, 19:40 (Ref:719960)   #5
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Folks,

I will be at Indy too - grandstand A, row KK. I am going to meet some friends there too, so we can all get together for a "Ten Tenths US Grand Prix Convention".

Please send me a private message and let's get ourselves organized.

I was in the Brickyard when the first Formula 1 race was held there, in 2000, and I experienced exactly what you, GP Racer, wrote about "the F1 cars have to turn right and left"!

On Friday morning the grandstands were relatively empty, with just a few fanatics around to witness that historic moment when Formula 1 cars first rolled into the track (I am not considering here the fact that the Indy 500 was a part of the Formula 1 championship from 1950 to 1960, as, for all practical purposes, it was not).

So, there I was on a seat in the main straight, in front of the pit exit. While I was waiting I begun to chat with a family of NASCAR fans (and true racing fans, I must emphasize, that cherised "anything that goes fast and is noisy"). These folks had never seen a Formula 1 car before. They liked racing so much that they went to Indy (all the way from Memphis, if I am not mistaken), just because they "had heard on TV that Formula 1 was something really cool", or something like that.

Well, we were all there talking about racing and having a good time when the engines begun to roar. If I remember well, the first car on track was Heinz-Harald Frentzen's - coming, of course, from our right (down the pitlane).

But my newly-made friends all turned their necks to their left, as obviously, any car had to run counterclockwise in the Brickyard, or so they thought...

The expression of surprise in their faces when Frentzen came from our right was unforgettable. I remember someone saying something like "this poor man is running the wrong way" - not exactlt that, but almost. Politely I did not laugh, but I could barely contain myself, as that was really funny - and also because I guess I have committed my own gaffes attending NASCAR races!

And the noise of the F-1s scared everybody!

Cheers, see you all at Indy!

Muzza
Old 22 Sep 2003, 13:33 (Ref:726423)   #6
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Muzza

And the noise of the F-1s scared everybody!

Although i'm not going to Indy (boo hoo) the first time i hear the sound of a F1 car each year at Silverstone is a wonderful feeling.

Hope you guys who are going have a great time.
Old 22 Sep 2003, 15:15 (Ref:726548)   #7
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
About 12 friends and I have GA seats, and for the past 3 years we've gone in early and got good seats on the mound at the entrance to the back straight. We are camping out on Saturday night in the parking lot to the NW of the speedway (across the street), right next to the Coke bottling facility. The Crapwagon guys are also staying in that lot (we don't know them, but we're like-minded, so intend to introduce ourselves...), and there will be plenty of beer flowing if anyone would like to join us!

Old 22 Sep 2003, 21:16 (Ref:727024)   #8
Andy Roberts
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Andy Roberts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hope you all have a storming time at Indy! Marvell at the place, its great!

GO MONTY!!!!!
Old 23 Sep 2003, 21:43 (Ref:728156)   #9
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr V
Although i'm not going to Indy (boo hoo) the first time i hear the sound of a F1 car each year at Silverstone is a wonderful feeling.

Hope you guys who are going have a great time.
I grew up mostly in Brazil. Most Brazilians have no means whatsoever of buying a Formula 1 ticket, so every year thousands of fans seat around Interlagos just to hear the Formula 1 cars racing. I did that myself a few times when I had no money to buy the ticket, or was too young to get in.

The party was completed when someone living in one the houses encircling the track would move his tv to the sidewalk, so the crowd - made of complete strangers, of course - could also watch the race, and not only listen to it.

Also, it is quite common that Ferrari fans agglomerate outside Fiorano every time the red cars are tested, ans listen to the music...
Old 24 Sep 2003, 00:25 (Ref:728233)   #10
The_josh21
Rookie

The_josh21 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am going to. Sitting in J stand. I live only about 45 min away from the speedway. I have been to Indycar practice and qual, 6 Brickyards and went to F1 practice last year. I have been going to the track for one reason or another almost every year of my life and it still amazes me. Indycars do go quicker but F1 is still the most enjoyable to watch. If any of you guys that are going get a chance go to IRP just a few miles from the track on Fri night they are going to have the Twin 25s USAC midgets.
Old 24 Sep 2003, 01:46 (Ref:728270)   #11
JR27
Racer

JR27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GP Racer
My wife & I will be at the USGP this year...will be at the Thursday Pit-walkbout around 9:30/10:00. On Friday will shooting pics...primarily as the cars come out of the pits and also inside turn 7. Saturday will find us in the Mickey Mouse section (turn 9). Race seats are in the Tower Terrace in Section 37... right along side the podium so I hope to get a nice pic or two from there. Will be wearing a yellow Pittsburgh Pirates cap at all times (give tours of PNC Park for the Pirates during the summer)....if ya see me..say hello...

have fun and drive carefully...

Murph
Old 24 Sep 2003, 02:39 (Ref:728290)   #12
boom boom
Racer

boom boom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I went to the first one at Indy.... Still have goose bumps form David getting a tow off of Mika on hi last flying lap, and from JV racing HHH for 3rd place it was awsome. IT was my very first F1 and the cars were awsome.
Hopefully I will make it this year, if I do I will leave very early sunday morning to see the race.
I hope everyone has a good time
and the weather is pleasant
Have fun Muzza, First race you are goign to scine you got hitched?

And in the words of a sign I saw this guy carrying the fist year at the US GP at INDY
" Montoya is coming"

Last edited by boom boom; 24 Sep 2003 at 02:40.
Old 24 Sep 2003, 03:46 (Ref:728322)   #13
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Hello Folks,

Looks like there will be many Ten-Tenthers at Indy this year - excellent!

JR27, I will be there for the Thursday pit walkabout too. I will be looking for your Pittsburgh Pirates yellow cap. I will wear one of my Tahitian shirts: a blue one, especially picked by my wife for the occasion.

The_josh21, unfortunately I cannot make IRP on Friday night as I have to pickup some friends in Chicago (!) who are also coming for the race... Hopefully the other members will make it, as the Friday night races in the IRP are much fun - and there is a strong possibility of meeting one or more Formula 1 dignataries there. Some famous Formula 1 journalists also make a yearly peregrination to IRP, including Autosports' Nigel Roebuck.

Boom Boom, I was at Indy in 2000 too, and I keep the same memories as you do: the sight of the McLarens playing tow on Saturday qualifying session was awesome, and I got a sore throat at the end of the race, after cheering for Jacques the whole time with a bunch of crazy Quebecoises I met at the track!

Cheers,

Muzza
Old 24 Sep 2003, 18:22 (Ref:728975)   #14
JR27
Racer

JR27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll keep an eye out for ya, Muzza. Wife got sick so I'll actually have to cart around all my camera equipment.....'sigh. My first GP was the Canadian GP at Mosport Park in '72.....time sure goes fast when one is having fun.....drive safely

Murph
Old 24 Sep 2003, 20:45 (Ref:729104)   #15
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Great to see so many forum members going! I'll be getting there on sat. morning, and I don't know where I'll be for the qualifications, but on race day I'll in the Paddock grandstand, S-30, row AA, seats 1,2,3,4,, thats the first row, upper deck.

I'll have a Ferrari shirt and hat on, that should narrow it down!

Danica Patrick
Old 26 Sep 2003, 03:50 (Ref:730388)   #16
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Hello, Folks,

Just back at my base here in Terre Haute - I will try to meet you again tomorrow... There was a lot of people today in the pit walkabout and I could find any of you that contacted me...

The pit walkabout was a great initiative, but the drivers did not collaborate, did they? I was very lucky (or persistent - I spent two and a half hours in front of the Williams pit) to get an autograph from Montoya, and I managed to get one from McNish (and briefly talk to him too - man, he is understandbly mad about losing the test seat at Toyota), but otherwise most drivers did not show up.

Ross Brawn was there too, but I do not care for his autograph, and Jenson Button seemed rather arrogant. There was a bunch of English fans that waited for him for hours, were singing his name (especially some guys with Chelsea paraphernalia) and so forth, and when he finally walked out of the BAR garage, he walked very slowly in front of them (or us) and did not talked, waved or even looked at anyone. If I were Brit I would be quite disappointed. It would not be asking too much if he had just said "hi"...

Cheers, let's try to hook up tomorrow,

Muzza
Old 26 Sep 2003, 03:53 (Ref:730390)   #17
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Oh, and I forgot to answer - my first GP (as a spectator) was 1986 Brazil.