Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 9 Nov 2011, 03:04 (Ref:2983378)   #76
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
A Viper for Grand Am?

Just judging from the car numbers list things are coming together quite nicely for Daytona as far as the GTs are concerned, all the Porsche teams on there seem to be one-offs that'll race at Daytona in addition to the 18-20 full season teams and their additional customer cars.
Old 9 Nov 2011, 03:20 (Ref:2983386)   #77
Carsandmotorracing
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
Carsandmotorracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Schedule will be announced tomorrow!
Old 9 Nov 2011, 18:20 (Ref:2983635)   #78
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
posted! Two dates at Watkins, and it appears that the Grand Am season has sprouted the "North American Endurance Championship" - which is the trio of Daytona, Watkins 6-hour, and Indy...

http://www.grand-am.com/news/index.c...es=r&cid=50891
Old 9 Nov 2011, 18:33 (Ref:2983640)   #79
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bet you Austin is the September TBA date. Lime Rock (although low car counts) and VIR leaving suck, especially when the Yawnstead Miami Speedway will keep a date.

Good schedule overall though, only one date clash with ALMS.

Last edited by FordCosworthPanoz; 9 Nov 2011 at 18:39.
Old 9 Nov 2011, 18:40 (Ref:2983645)   #80
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
No Lime Rock or VIR, though. Those were two of GA's better drawing weekends...
Old 9 Nov 2011, 18:41 (Ref:2983646)   #81
tlongman
Racer

United States
New Jersey
tlongman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
Bet you Austin is the September TBA date.
That's what I'm thinking. I kinda mad that they dropped VIR and Lime Rock. They were some of the best road courses they had on the schedule. Plus I went to VIR last year and was planning on doing LRP next year.
Old 9 Nov 2011, 18:43 (Ref:2983647)   #82
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
No Lime Rock or VIR, though. Those were two of GA's better drawing weekends...
I just wonder why they dropped two highly attended weekends (although there a problems behind the doors at VIR) yet stay at Homestead?

Also, from what Herb Branham (director of communications) is saying, Lime Rock may be the TBA date. Said the TBA venue wont be *a suprise track* and has only confirmed that VIR will be off the 2012 schedule.
Old 9 Nov 2011, 18:45 (Ref:2983649)   #83
picchiofan
Racer

Iran
picchiofan User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
A Viper for Grand Am?

Just judging from the car numbers list things are coming together quite nicely for Daytona as far as the GTs are concerned, all the Porsche teams on there seem to be one-offs that'll race at Daytona in addition to the 18-20 full season teams and their additional customer cars.
Could be, the Viper Comp coupe turns about the same lap times as a GT3 cup porsche, so balancing one wouldn't be hard. Wouldn't be much different than letting the Ferrari 430 challenge cars run.
Old 9 Nov 2011, 19:38 (Ref:2983672)   #84
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgRS View Post
posted! Two dates at Watkins, and it appears that the Grand Am season has sprouted the "North American Endurance Championship" - which is the trio of Daytona, Watkins 6-hour, and Indy...

http://www.grand-am.com/news/index.c...es=r&cid=50891
That made me chuckle a bit. Is there any doubt that the name was chosen to give a middle finger to the "other" American series with ties to the ACO and the FIA World Endurance Championship?
Old 9 Nov 2011, 20:39 (Ref:2983696)   #85
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
I just wonder why they dropped two highly attended weekends (although there a problems behind the doors at VIR) yet stay at Homestead?

Also, from what Herb Branham (director of communications) is saying, Lime Rock may be the TBA date. Said the TBA venue wont be *a suprise track* and has only confirmed that VIR will be off the 2012 schedule.
VIR might be a nice addition/replacement for the ALMS if Baltimore will be canceled... Or are the behind-the-door-problems big enough to prevent that?
Old 10 Nov 2011, 02:56 (Ref:2983809)   #86
Carsandmotorracing
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
I like the schedule, shame that VIR is gone and potentially Lime Rock.

There's also word that Infineon could be the TBA date, or even VIR, but i'm going to guess Lime Rock, they just haven't been able to reach a deal yet.
Old 10 Nov 2011, 03:02 (Ref:2983811)   #87
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I think that's getting a tad late in the season to be Lime Rock. Also, Lime Rock is a tight fit for the Rolex Series, much less both the Rolex and Continental Tire Series, so I'm not as sure about that one being the TBD.
Old 10 Nov 2011, 05:04 (Ref:2983830)   #88
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsandmotorracing View Post
I like the schedule, shame that VIR is gone and potentially Lime Rock.

There's also word that Infineon could be the TBA date, or even VIR, but i'm going to guess Lime Rock, they just haven't been able to reach a deal yet.
Infineon in September with the WTCC perhaps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
I think that's getting a tad late in the season to be Lime Rock. Also, Lime Rock is a tight fit for the Rolex Series, much less both the Rolex and Continental Tire Series, so I'm not as sure about that one being the TBD.
My bet is on Austin, Lime Rock might be chilly, but still doable. The way that they split the weekend over Memorial Day seems to be the only answer, with CTSCC teams leaving after Saturday and Rolex Series rigs parking once the paddock is empty. Of course, with racing on Sunday not allowed, perhaps a Labor Day race?

Chris
Old 10 Nov 2011, 05:25 (Ref:2983831)   #89
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Is there any doubt that the name was chosen to give a middle finger to the "other" American series with ties to the ACO and the FIA World Endurance Championship?
Yep!
Old 10 Nov 2011, 05:32 (Ref:2983832)   #90
Speed-King
Veteran

I think it was more a result of not being able to find a title sponsor for it...
Old 10 Nov 2011, 17:48 (Ref:2984056)   #91
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
Quote:
That made me chuckle a bit. Is there any doubt that the name was chosen to give a middle finger to the "other" American series with ties to the ACO and the FIA World Endurance Championship?
Yeah it's pretty cheeky! Grand Am may be going for a knock-out punch eh?

I'm pretty disappointed that VIR has been dropped. I just moved back to the mid atlantic area and was planning on making that trek when they came through, although I'm curious why VIR was dropped and NJMP was not? Having been to both tracks (VIT just this past weekend) it's no-contest as to where I'd rather go for Grand Am GT or CTSCC.

Lime Rock is too bad as well. I never saw Grand Am there, but the Conti series was a lot of fun on that track.
Old 10 Nov 2011, 18:15 (Ref:2984077)   #92
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
No Virginia? That's strange. Will ALMS take that track with some of their TBCs?

"several top teams have indicated they will field additional cars with all-star drivers to compete in the three endurance races"

That's the point of it: to attract Nascar and IndyCar drivers (ALMS?)

3 hours of Indy doesn't sound very endurance to me...
Old 10 Nov 2011, 19:36 (Ref:2984102)   #93
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post

3 hours of Indy doesn't sound very endurance to me...
I had the same thought, it's really not much different than a 2:45 race which they commonly run. So all they really want to do is invent something that will get more cars on the track. If drivers for the extra cars come from NASCAR maybe they will get more publicity for GrandAm - which may be what they are hoping.

Have there been any more details of the NAEC released? specifically what is the prize?
Old 11 Nov 2011, 01:27 (Ref:2984186)   #94
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Craig Stanton has parted ways with Magnus Racing. I hope Craig has something lined up for next season, and I hope Magnus can replace Craig with another high-caliber driver as they are my favorite GA team.
Old 11 Nov 2011, 02:43 (Ref:2984205)   #95
Carsandmotorracing
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonerz View Post
Infineon in September with the WTCC perhaps?
Chris
That sounds good to me.
Old 11 Nov 2011, 14:56 (Ref:2984378)   #96
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
Quote:
Craig Stanton has parted ways with Magnus Racing. I hope Craig has something lined up for next season, and I hope Magnus can replace Craig with another high-caliber driver as they are my favorite GA team.
Yeah that seems a bit weird doesn't it? In the press release it says Craig will remain as John's driver coach, but won't be driving for the team. Maybe he got sick of the time on the road? Who knows. I wish them well, seem to have a pretty good sense of humor about things, something lacking from a lot of pro teams. (i know it's a lot of money and all, but you aren't curing cancer or solving world peace, it's racing and it should be fun too)
Old 11 Nov 2011, 15:05 (Ref:2984384)   #97
Speed-King
Veteran

Well, from that press release it looks like Magnus will (mostly) do ALMS next year.

Boiler-Plate at the end:

Quote:
More information about Magnus Racing can be found at www.magnusracing.com. Any organization interested in learning more about how to be involved with one of the most unique and visible teams in the American Le Mans Series can e-mail info@magnusracing.com. All press inquiries can be directed topress@magnusracing.com.
Old 11 Nov 2011, 16:25 (Ref:2984412)   #98
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgRS View Post
I wish them well, seem to have a pretty good sense of humor about things, something lacking from a lot of pro teams. (i know it's a lot of money and all, but you aren't curing cancer or solving world peace, it's racing and it should be fun too)
The sense of humour is one of the reasons I like the team too. Also does anybody know where Potter got the money for the team? He looks so young.
Old 11 Nov 2011, 18:37 (Ref:2984470)   #99
Speed-King
Veteran

Trustfund-Baby?!

That's not intended as a slight, btw, if I got that kind of cash from my parents I would probably do the same...
Old 11 Nov 2011, 19:04 (Ref:2984478)   #100
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
Quote:
The sense of humour is one of the reasons I like the team too. Also does anybody know where Potter got the money for the team? He looks so young.
No clue, and I've done searches to that effect. (precisely because he looks so young, and has committed a lot of time, money and effort to sportscar racing) Not a 'typical' pursuit of the young-rich. Either way, it'll be good to see them full time in GTC this year. I think a win could very well be in the cards based on the results of 2011.