Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Next year I will (chose the closest most likely option)
Watch live on BBC or Sky depending which it is on. 36 32.73%
Watch only BBC live or delayed/highlights. 48 43.64%
Watch only BBC live (live or not bother). 16 14.55%
Not watch, it is over for me. 10 9.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 8 Nov 2011, 01:57 (Ref:2982999)   #951
herowassenna
Veteran

herowassenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
The Cult of Mediocrirty has spread to popular music, resulting in diminishing sales,
My favourite musician is Prince. No doubt some will have their own views on that, but during a concert he will always say to the crowd, "Real music, by real musicians"
I see it everywhere.
I don't know about over in the states, but here in the supermarket, you can buy ready made salad, grated cheese, ice!!! There's nothing even in day to day living that is designed for longevity, everything is dispensible. Still...
Old 8 Nov 2011, 02:25 (Ref:2983007)   #952
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
As a 'Prog Rock' fan, I often wondered what happened to 'real music' a very long time ago. Still, we have the likes of Porcupine Tree and one or two others that aren't too ashamed to put an 8 minute piece of magic together. Some, thankfully, still want music that lasts longer and is more memorable than a can of coke. One hour races for F1? Maybe not that far away.
Old 8 Nov 2011, 10:54 (Ref:2983098)   #953
herowassenna
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
As a 'Prog Rock' fan, I often wondered what happened to 'real music' a very long time ago. Still, we have the likes of Porcupine Tree and one or two others that aren't too ashamed to put an 8 minute piece of magic together. Some, thankfully, still want music that lasts longer and is more memorable than a can of coke. One hour races for F1? Maybe not that far away.
Great band Marbot, and as to the 1 hour races, didn't F1 races use to be 3 or 4 hours originally?
They used to be 3 day events too, and value for money.
A MotoGP meeting now is a great day out, all the classes racing, but even that is being dumbed down.
Maybe its the younger generation, maybe they TV doesn't think their attention span is long enough
Old 8 Nov 2011, 15:23 (Ref:2983176)   #954
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by herowassenna View Post
SKY sells advertising doesn't it? I ask because I have never watched any broadcast by Sky whatsoever.
Is their advertising revenue larger than their subscribers revenue?
Yes Sky sells advertising but it's value is dwarfed by the subscriber revenues, which is where the real profit comes from.

Average revenue per subscriber is now £535. Total revenue for the last quarter was £1.66 Billion. Subscriber growth is slowing despite a price freeze this year, with just 26,000 net new subs against 96,000 in that period last year.

Essentially, whilst a sponsor wants maximum viewership, Sky cares not a jot. It would be happy with a modest increase in subscribers not the mass viewing figures advertisers want. There is no chance of Sky achieving anything like peak BBC or ITV viewing figures, but that doesn't matter so long as an extra ten thousand or so subscribers roll in and the BBC is further weakened.
Old 8 Nov 2011, 15:33 (Ref:2983178)   #955
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio Galtieri View Post
Yes Sky sells advertising but it's value is dwarfed by the subscriber revenues, which is where the real profit comes from.

Average revenue per subscriber is now £535. Total revenue for the last quarter was £1.66 Billion. Subscriber growth is slowing despite a price freeze this year, with just 26,000 net new subs against 96,000 in that period last year.

Essentially, whilst a sponsor wants maximum viewership, Sky cares not a jot. It would be happy with a modest increase in subscribers not the mass viewing figures advertisers want. There is no chance of Sky achieving anything like peak BBC or ITV viewing figures, but that doesn't matter so long as an extra ten thousand or so subscribers roll in and the BBC is further weakened.
I don't see how the BBC is futher weekened, when a subscriber to Sky has to have a TV licence and if they want they can watch BBC1-4 on Sky.
Old 8 Nov 2011, 16:26 (Ref:2983192)   #956
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I don't see how the BBC is futher weekened, when a subscriber to Sky has to have a TV licence and if they want they can watch BBC1-4 on Sky.
The BBC is further weakened because it is yet another product moved from free to air to SKY. This further diminishes the "value" of the TV License fee. Murdoch's entire game plan is to hobble the BBC by whatever means, by using his political influence and favours to get the licence fee frozen and the website presence reduced.
Old 8 Nov 2011, 16:28 (Ref:2983193)   #957
mikestow
Rookie

mikestow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I once owned a Ferrari Dino 246, in the dim and distant,but it suffered from Magneti Marelli blackbox ignition,which kept going kaput whenever it got hot!!I view SkySports version of the now superb BBC Coverage we receive to be exactly the same-going kaput when it gets hot-without the same commentators and without the nice repartit it will be just a means for Murdoch to lose money as Bernie makes it!Maybe I should google Eve Lawrence to see what I appear to be missing.It may produce a heart rate better than the one I have now,with the thought of only seeing 10 races with decent commentary next year.
Old 8 Nov 2011, 18:19 (Ref:2983223)   #958
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
The BBC is further weakened because it is yet another product moved from free to air to SKY. This further diminishes the "value" of the TV License fee. Murdoch's entire game plan is to hobble the BBC by whatever means, by using his political influence and favours to get the licence fee frozen and the website presence reduced.
Having a product moved from free to air to Sky doesn't weaken the BBC per se. The BBC could argue they are saving money, now that they don't have to pay Bernie full whack and that puts them in a better position regarding future programming.

That might very well be Murdoch's game plan but as long as the TV licence fee remains, it's not going to happen. As it is Murdoch's had his plans dented, with the revelations regarding the News of the World and the latest revelations can do nothing but more harm.
Old 8 Nov 2011, 18:55 (Ref:2983235)   #959
herowassenna
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikestow View Post
it will be just a means for Murdoch to lose money as Bernie makes it!
For how much longer, I know the man is slippery but...

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/174721/...stigation.html

I know, I know, it's Crash, but the story is taken from the Telegraph. I know, I know, The Telegraph... yadda yadda

Wouldn't it be justice for Bernie...
Old 8 Nov 2011, 19:23 (Ref:2983242)   #960
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

Wouldn't it be justice for Bernie...
Would it ?

Of course, after Bernie's gone, we can have FOTA running the show or CVC running the show or even Mr Murdoch running the show ?

And the teams might have been happier with 50% of a lot rather than 75-80% of a little.

Perhaps another instance of 'better the devil you know' ?
Old 8 Nov 2011, 20:16 (Ref:2983264)   #961
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
If Bernie is found to have been controlling his Bambino trust and has to pay £2 billion tax as a result I can't see any downside to F1, just an upside for the UK exchequer.

Despicable liar-in-chief and corrupt police paymaster James Murdoch faces MPs again on thursday, all live and free to air on BBC Parliament. Of course you can watch it on SKY too if you prefer....
Old 9 Nov 2011, 01:48 (Ref:2983362)   #962
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Of course you can watch it on SKY too if you prefer....
I'll not be watching it on SKY, might miss something when the ads come on.
Old 13 Nov 2011, 21:36 (Ref:2985848)   #963
kart_racer
Rookie

England
UK
kart_racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I recently added Sky Sports to my Package. I did this purely at the time to watch the Dan Wheldon Tribute they did.

I think I will keep it because they do show motorsport and obviously the GP is with them next year. It was a tenner a month extra
Old 14 Nov 2011, 04:02 (Ref:2985997)   #964
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
My favourite musician is Prince. No doubt some will have their own views on that, but during a concert he will always say to the crowd, "Real music, by real musicians"
I see it everywhere.
I don't know about over in the states, but here in the supermarket, you can buy ready made salad, grated cheese, ice!!! There's nothing even in day to day living that is designed for longevity, everything is dispensible. Still...
Not true, the greatest band in the world are reforming; Black Sabbath.
Old 17 Nov 2011, 00:15 (Ref:2987470)   #965
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kart_racer View Post
I recently added Sky Sports to my Package. I did this purely at the time to watch the Dan Wheldon Tribute they did.

I think I will keep it because they do show motorsport and obviously the GP is with them next year. It was a tenner a month extra
I did the same, but I think you'll find the tenner a month is only for the first three months. After that it doubles, unless you got a better deal than me.
Old 17 Nov 2011, 17:27 (Ref:2987833)   #966
kart_racer
Rookie

England
UK
kart_racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
I did the same, but I think you'll find the tenner a month is only for the first three months. After that it doubles, unless you got a better deal than me.
Seriously? I hope not... SKy sports isnt THAT good....

Wouldn't mind, but its 90% Football. A sport to which I have no interest at all.
Old 18 Nov 2011, 11:22 (Ref:2988183)   #967
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I saw Sky Sports in a pub recently and discovered they don't just show sports. They show wrestling too.
Old 18 Nov 2011, 12:30 (Ref:2988216)   #968
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
I saw Sky Sports in a pub recently and discovered they don't just show sports. They show wrestling too.
What sort of "pub" were you in? !!
Old 18 Nov 2011, 16:09 (Ref:2988300)   #969
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I thought wrestling was a soap opera.
Old 18 Nov 2011, 16:39 (Ref:2988312)   #970
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I have now officially started my traing for when Sky Sports take over the coverage of Grand Prix.
I didn't watch, but have recorded last weekends race, and plan to watch it at some obscure time, all on my own...
Old 18 Nov 2011, 17:32 (Ref:2988338)   #971
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I got Sky first to watch all the motoracing and the multitable Snooker. They had all the American racing stuff, World Motorsport and they even flirted with live sportscars albeit briefly. They had GP Masters with Murray, Mansell and Fittipaldi making racing comebacks before most of it died a quick death. A1GP too.

They must have had a change in management since then because it almost all got the chop before all the F1 talk this year. I wonder is it Murdoch or one of his merrymen imposing himself on a motorphobic management? If so will the coverage suffer?
Old 18 Nov 2011, 17:33 (Ref:2988339)   #972
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I have now officially started my traing for when Sky Sports take over the coverage of Grand Prix.
I didn't watch, but have recorded last weekends race, and plan to watch it at some obscure time, all on my own...
If you didn't record qualifying you'll have missed the best bit.
Old 22 Nov 2011, 11:32 (Ref:2989975)   #973
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
What sort of "pub" were you in? !!
It was a reunion with old friends from my time at university, so it was a mainly student-populated pub.
Old 22 Nov 2011, 15:55 (Ref:2990049)   #974
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Nigel Mansell to be Sky Sports F1 pundit?

http://www.pitpass.com/45287-Mansell...in-Sky-F1-team
Old 22 Nov 2011, 16:34 (Ref:2990057)   #975
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Nigel Mansell to be Sky Sports F1 pundit?

http://www.pitpass.com/45287-Mansell...in-Sky-F1-team
His boring monotone voice should be a good cure for insomnia! Another reason I'm pleased to be saving my money by not subscribing...

Tags
outrage, sky