Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 2 Nov 2002, 16:54 (Ref:420249)   #1
power&glory
Racer

power&glory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What happened to all the Reynards?

In 97 and 98, this series was almost 100% reynard. When i thought champcar i thought of a reynard. but now there are none left! I hate lolas, they're ugly! Didn't walker or somebody buy all reynards'stuff? so why don't teams switch back? reynard isn't banckrupt anymore!!
Old 2 Nov 2002, 17:12 (Ref:420256)   #2
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Walker is doing everything he can to sell new and existing teams the Reynard chassis. It's really not all that bad, but because of the smaller numbers on the grid they haven't been able to shine. A track like Fontana may suit them, as they're said to have less drag, so a strong performance here may bolster sales.

Is Forsythe committed to the Reynard next year? I hope so, but I remember PT stating that he wanted a Lola if he signed.
Old 2 Nov 2002, 17:31 (Ref:420264)   #3
Dave S
Racer

Dave S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, there are 4 on the grid. Tag's reynard is fastest of the weekend so far. I think tems switched because of the financial problems at the start of the year & seeing as they already have the Lola won't switch back at least til next year. But with the chassis freeze many probably won't then either. Maybe Walker can attract a few new teams to the fold. Just remember these things ebb & flow. Used to be everyone ran March, but things change. Lola was very uncompetitive & on the ropes not all that long ago. Time will tell. A good result this weekend sure wouldn't hurt.
Old 2 Nov 2002, 19:10 (Ref:420321)   #4
crazytrain
Racer

crazytrain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SpeedTV interviwed Derrick Walker last week in Australia before the race and he said 11 teams had inquired to him about possibly buying Reynards for next season, so you may end up seeing a few more Reynards on the grid next year.
Old 2 Nov 2002, 19:14 (Ref:420323)   #5
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, right now they're probably still worried about supply problems.

Then again, it might not sound too good to sponsors if you're running a car built by an outfit that's effectively no longer in business.
Old 2 Nov 2002, 20:03 (Ref:420354)   #6
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I hate lolas, they're ugly!
I love Lolas, They're fast. To each his own. I guess I've been watching Champcars too long. To me, Reynards are still the new kid on the CART block.

In reality, I find it hard not to love any Champcar!

Last edited by Flatspot; 2 Nov 2002 at 20:04.
Old 2 Nov 2002, 21:01 (Ref:420371)   #7
Tiresmoke
Racer

Tiresmoke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Walker and Reynard NA is still making parts and cars. Supposedly he can sell them for as little as $300K. Walker and Patrick arn't doing any tweaks and developments as of right now to their chassis, but Players has done a lot of work, mostly underbody and the other two are trying to share information.

Honda is taking back their team's Lolas in '03 (although not confirmed, its what i see happening), so Walker and his Reynard co. might see some new customers.

They Reynards have proven themselves on the streets this season. BAR sucked a lot of money out of Reynard and had a huge effect on the CART chassis program.
Old 3 Nov 2002, 10:49 (Ref:420610)   #8
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Agreed that the is a bit more asthetically pleasing.

Perhaps Walker could sell himself a new one after the roll bar came off Takagi's at Surfers...
Old 3 Nov 2002, 11:49 (Ref:420643)   #9
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Reynards have always been beautiful, more than anything in superspeedways...

F1's a problem. When Lola tried to enter in 1997, it almost died, and when Reynard went with BAR, it almost happened the same, only that the F1 team still stands...
Old 3 Nov 2002, 12:55 (Ref:420680)   #10
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yup. F1's too specialized. It's completely insane that the world's biggest race car manufacturers haven't got a snowball's chance in hell of competing for the "constructor's world championship". Meanwhile the constructors who do compete for it (McLaren, Williams, Scuderi Ferrari, etc) almost never build another thing besides those F1 cars!

F1... The world's biggest waste of money.