Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 20 Jul 2011, 11:19 (Ref:2928920)   #1
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Guess the year

With another 11 months till the next edition, I had an idea to help pass the time.

I think the thread title is pretty self explanatory. It can be a picture, a clue, a riddle, a person... Whoever gets it right can do the next one, and so on.

So, your starter for ten. Which year was this picture taken?

Old 20 Jul 2011, 11:36 (Ref:2928928)   #2
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
A bit of research says... 1938?
Old 20 Jul 2011, 13:19 (Ref:2928986)   #3
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes indeed, took about two seconds of research to find the URL of that photo. I would advice to change the title and upload the pic to imageshack or whatever next time
Old 20 Jul 2011, 14:19 (Ref:2929018)   #4
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Okay, since I have no pictures available... an easy series of clues then:

Frenchman leading the race for a few laps in the first hour in a Group C car prone to engine detonations, before spinning off into the barrier. Driver and year.
Old 20 Jul 2011, 17:25 (Ref:2929077)   #5
lemansfan
Veteran

Germany
westernmost District of Germany
lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!
1984 Roger Dachy WM Peugeot
Old 20 Jul 2011, 17:28 (Ref:2929080)   #6
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
It's Dorchy, but I'll give you that anyway.
Old 20 Jul 2011, 18:10 (Ref:2929088)   #7
lemansfan
Veteran

Germany
lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!
Thank you !!

Which Team won the Race at their first Attempt ?? It was also the first Attempt for the Race Car ???
Old 20 Jul 2011, 18:16 (Ref:2929090)   #8
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Ferrari in '49 with the 166MM?

The first winners in '23?
Old 20 Jul 2011, 18:19 (Ref:2929092)   #9
lemansfan
Veteran

Germany
Sorry . Wrong !!!!
Old 20 Jul 2011, 18:55 (Ref:2929107)   #10
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Mercedes-Benz/Daimler-Benz factory team, 1952?
Old 20 Jul 2011, 19:08 (Ref:2929114)   #11
lemansfan
Veteran

Germany
Some Books and Results are wrong with the Name of the Team and the Nationality !!!
Old 20 Jul 2011, 21:18 (Ref:2929165)   #12
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemansfan View Post
Thank you !!

Which Team won the Race at their first Attempt ?? It was also the first Attempt for the Race Car ???
KK racng
McLaren F1
Old 21 Jul 2011, 02:23 (Ref:2929239)   #13
lemansfan
Veteran

Germany
Hit for you

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~lanzan/Mclaren.htm
Old 21 Jul 2011, 10:55 (Ref:2929372)   #14
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
[QUOTE=lemansfan;2929239]Hit for you

was easy for me - I was there :-)
as I don't have a question handy I'll declare it 'open house' and let someone else have a go
Old 21 Jul 2011, 11:17 (Ref:2929379)   #15
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
What was the name of the driver and in what year, who, during the race, pushed his car almost halfway round the circuit and led to an award in his name by the Rotary Club of Le Mans

Supplimentary question - Who has the Dutray clock that used to hang over the pit lane entrance and disappeared during the rebuilding of the 'new' pits and garages - it still hasn't come up on ebay?
Old 21 Jul 2011, 20:43 (Ref:2929572)   #16
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
No idea on the first, but the clock is supposed to be in the museum, isn't it?
Old 21 Jul 2011, 20:54 (Ref:2929577)   #17
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
I'm surprised that you, of all people, wouldn't have known the answer lol

I didn't know the clock had survived - I always thought it had 'disappeared'?
Old 21 Jul 2011, 21:05 (Ref:2929583)   #18
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I have an idea, but I want to check it first. I remembered something about the museum (although I didn't recall seeing it there when I made my one and only visit in 2010) and found this tonight - not sure how true it is though -

"Re: Le Mans Dutray Clock
by visitor » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:07 pm

Sorry to ressurect the thread, but I was looking for a Dutray watch and found this thread (so I know I'll never own one!)

Anyhow, the clock still exists. In fact, the whole gantry- clock, lights etc still exists. I saw it two weeks ago...

...Its in the "musee automobile de la sarthe"- the car museum next to the track. It also has the km posts- arrive and depart- which you see at the start of the film.

If you're heading back, the clock is above your heads roughly as you go into section 2 of the museum- a round area with diorama's of the start/finish area through the ages. It is also showing a highlights of last years race, where my friend can see himself. Quite nice to know he's in the le mans museum!"

From this thread on a Steve McQueen board

http://www.mcqueenonline.com/forum/v...php?f=7&t=1342

Really quite interesting!
Old 21 Jul 2011, 22:19 (Ref:2929619)   #19
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Yes indeed, took about two seconds of research to find the URL of that photo. I would advice to change the title and upload the pic to imageshack or whatever next time
I wasn't expecting people to cheat, there's no prize for this!
Old 31 Jul 2011, 09:36 (Ref:2933815)   #20
Steptoe
Racer

England
10618 miles from Le Mans - NSW Australia
Steptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee View Post
What was the name of the driver and in what year, who, during the race, pushed his car almost halfway round the circuit and led to an award in his name by the Rotary Club of Le Mans?
So as the thread has gone silent, any clues for the question? ?
Old 1 Aug 2011, 08:48 (Ref:2934358)   #21
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

French driver - British car
I thought the story was well known - apparently not?
Old 1 Aug 2011, 10:21 (Ref:2934399)   #22
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
My memory is probably playing tricks on me - is it something to do with Henri?
Old 1 Aug 2011, 11:46 (Ref:2934443)   #23
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

So far as I'm aware, it has nothing to do with Henri !
Old 4 Aug 2011, 10:58 (Ref:2935737)   #24
Steptoe
Racer

England
10618 miles from Le Mans - NSW Australia
Steptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Was it Jean chassagne in the Bentley in 1928 ?
Old 4 Aug 2011, 11:18 (Ref:2935745)   #25
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

No it wasn't. I don't think many people could push a Bentley 70 metres let alone 7km.
I'm amazed that nobody has got this as it's a well known and documented story and there are so many experts on here.
Another clue is that it was after WW2 but not that long after.