England
Tamworth, England
neilwaynesmith is a back marker
Would if I had one.......
Old 11 Oct 2002, 12:34 (Ref:401101)   #52
wiggles
Rookie

wiggles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Questionnaire? I know there are various on-line poll sites that you can use freely. It would be interesting to get the views of 10/10thers (and other marshals) in one place.
Old 11 Oct 2002, 12:35 (Ref:401102)   #53
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Sorry, I meant produce a questionairre of your own. Fancy doing it?
Old 11 Oct 2002, 12:40 (Ref:401107)   #54
neilwaynesmith
Veteran

England
Tamworth, England
I beleive there was a thread about "What are your likes and dis-likes". However, I shall attempt to pick up the baton and formulate some sort of questionnaire. (If anything, it might take my mind off the near orgasmic delights of precast concrete...
Old 11 Oct 2002, 12:45 (Ref:401112)   #55
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Oh go on, you know you enjoy work!
Old 11 Oct 2002, 12:49 (Ref:401115)   #56
neilwaynesmith
Veteran

England
Tamworth, England
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
Oh go on, you know you enjoy work!
DEFINITELY NOT this week

Never mind, AMOC tomorrow

Real racing cars, and hopefully, NO exploding Porsches this time...
Old 11 Oct 2002, 12:53 (Ref:401120)   #57
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
A weekend off for me. Washing and ironing tonight, gardening for the next two days. Suddenly AMOC sounds attractive
Old 11 Oct 2002, 19:07 (Ref:401363)   #58
Tony_J
Racer

Tony_J should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just hope Jackie Stewart hasn't read the MSN article, he will wonder what we've all been complaining about.
Old 12 Oct 2002, 07:38 (Ref:401827)   #59
icklimp
Racer

England
icklimp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Everyone,

If any of you are willing i am organising an agm for the marshals guild, obviously this is only going to address issues within the VSCC but if any of you would like to attend we will be discussing wider issues. I don't have a date or venue booked yet but it is likely to be the last week of feb, first week of march, if anyone is interested please post here or e-mail mail@marshalsguild.co.uk and i will post the date for you. If there any vscc marshals who would like this discussed in the new newsletter e-mail me on articles@supanet.com
Old 13 Oct 2002, 22:04 (Ref:403212)   #60
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
Sorry, I meant produce a questionairre of your own. Fancy doing it?
Just starting working on one now. Will keep you all updated.
Old 14 Oct 2002, 08:38 (Ref:403544)   #61
Baldy Man
Rookie

Baldy Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The BMMC doesn't exactly make it easy for people to join the club, so my suggestion for the beginning of next season would be:-
1) Make sure that ALL existing members get their MSA liscenses BEFORE the start of the season, retaining existing members.
2) More advertising BEFORE the start of the season for new members.
3) At training events for new starters - bring across how much fun there is in marshalling first, because they have to feel that the fun outbalances any risk involved.
4) Change the grading system, as there is too much emphasis in signatures - they can be made to feel that they have had a bad day if they do not get a signature - when the real reason for being there is to enjoy the motorsport.
Old 6 Nov 2002, 11:50 (Ref:422877)   #62
Gonfra
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Racer

United Nations
International Man of Mystery
Gonfra should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Since its first appearance in Motorsport News the "Marshals" column has no longer appeared in that exalted publication!
Although MN stated that it was to be a regular feature one begs to ask the question how regular is regular?
Was it just an excercise to pacify the existing marshals and hopefully (vainly) to recruit more which is my own suspicion?
Have MN bottled out of making this a regular feature due to the criticsm it was given?
They all say they support us but do the really? The only publication that does is Ingear magazine. Even the MSA do not take us seriously given the recent drivel that they have pushed out.
Old 6 Nov 2002, 11:54 (Ref:422883)   #63
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
*shrug* no-one is interested in reading about marshals except other marshals. Except to make "tsk tsk" noises when one of us manages to get injured or killed in the line of duty.

If you look at it from that perspective, it's slightly more understandable.

The In Gear articles have been interesting, but frankly, they are really nothing more than a PR exercise and recruiting drive themselves - October's was about Training Days and where you could attend them. It's still not actually addressing marshals - it's targetting new ones. No issue with that myself, but it does show what the focus is on.
Old 6 Nov 2002, 12:14 (Ref:422904)   #64
Gonfra
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Racer

United Nations
International Man of Mystery
Gonfra should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yup! Shame I'm not in publishing cos we could start our own
magaz............Errrm
Old 6 Nov 2002, 17:29 (Ref:423093)   #65
Stoowert
Veteran

Zimbabwe
Caterham, Surrey
Stoowert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I've had limited contact with the BMMC "Top Table", mainly thanks to the 3 hills challenge on the Isle of Mann. They are incredibly complacent when it comes to marshals and their lot. They consider there is nothing wrong with marshalling today. They are so blinkered, most of them haven't been near a post in years. I'm glad to say the worst one has resigned his post as PRO. He was using the club as a willie extension, in that no one could have differing views to his! he would just shout you down.
I feel a petition to Peter Roberts could be better than a questionaire. We all know the answers we would get. I just feel a 600 signature petition to get something done might just kick-start err um, something anything
I may even stay in the BMMC if I thought they were on our side rather than just keeping us in order and well trained to help out the racing clubs make more money out of our sport! There, I've said it, rant over, I'm off to my bus shelter...
Old 6 Nov 2002, 21:05 (Ref:423256)   #66
Baldy Man
Rookie

Who the hell just edited my reply to this post, that is not the words that I used. What is the point in being involved in these threads if they are edited / censored etc !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 7 Nov 2002, 08:05 (Ref:423580)   #67
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
No one has edited your posts sir.
Old 7 Nov 2002, 16:26 (Ref:423906)   #68
Baldy Man
Rookie

My previous post is completely different to what I said though ! I'll put it down to a glitch then.. Apologies for any alarm caused.
Old 7 Nov 2002, 17:00 (Ref:423945)   #69
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
No problems...
Old 8 Nov 2002, 21:45 (Ref:424821)   #70
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Gonfra
Since its first appearance in Motorsport News the "Marshals" column has no longer appeared in that exalted publication!
Although MN stated that it was to be a regular feature one begs to ask the question how regular is regular?
Was it just an excercise to pacify the existing marshals and hopefully (vainly) to recruit more which is my own suspicion?
Have MN bottled out of making this a regular feature due to the criticsm it was given?
They all say they support us but do the really? The only publication that does is Ingear magazine. Even the MSA do not take us seriously given the recent drivel that they have pushed out.
I have it on good authority - I asked Mike (Petch) if it was a one off or if more were on the way? His reply was that it is planned to write a piece every six weeks or so.